Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Not sure how many of the folk salivating for Trump imprisonment understand just how heavily that would galvanize republicans, who would see him as a martyr of The Deepest State.

I know you're thirsty for Trump content, but what you want will actively hurt the already incredibly frail centrist-democrat party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Nonsense posted:

I think it is a mistake for Joe Biden not to be a sore winner. He really needs to rub it in, but he will not, thus a mistake.

Why?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Nonsense posted:

I think it is a mistake for Joe Biden not to be a sore winner. He really needs to rub it in, but he will not, thus a mistake.

I would argue the opposite. Biden being a sore winner would give Trump and his cronies exactly what they're grasping for -- the ability to demonize Biden and the democratic party.

We've had 4 years of a president acting like a child at every opportunity. It's honestly refreshing to see someone actually acting like a president instead of screeching on twitter all day.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Neurolimal posted:

Not sure how many of the folk salivating for Trump imprisonment understand just how heavily that would galvanize republicans, who would see him as a martyr of The Deepest State.

I know you're thirsty for Trump content, but what you want will actively hurt the already incredibly frail centrist-democrat party.

Not really about what any of us wants. Just about what the NYAG does or doesn't do, and then Trump's lawyers.

VVVVVV

Yeah, as above -- it's just a really good marker for the chud-adjacent.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

And even aside from the actual historical context: as a general rule, when someone asks you to refer to them by their preferred nomenclature, and you immediately refuse and double down, that is not a sign that you are a cool and good person. That is a sign that you are a disingenuous shithead acting in bad faith.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Epic High Five posted:

Official platform has always been a joke.

I have no idea whatsoever about actual data on this and would be curious if you do.

Like, I get that state party platforms probably aren't worth the electrons they're printed on, otherwise I'd be trumpeting the massive revamp of the Texas Dem Platform as one of the good guys' convention successes in 2020. :v: But the national one might matter at least slightly more?

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

the_steve posted:

Gotta say I'm really impressed by the people upset over the "Democrat vs. Democratic" thing.
I mean, to be able to reach that loving hard for something to be offended by without dislocating anything is definitely a feat.

They took notes on stretching from the people pretending they had no idea that it was a Republican thing.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Velocity Raptor posted:

I would argue the opposite. Biden being a sore winner would give Trump and his cronies exactly what they're grasping for -- the ability to demonize Biden and the democratic party.

We've had 4 years of a president acting like a child at every opportunity. It's honestly refreshing to see someone actually acting like a president instead of screeching on twitter all day.

What? The Republicans don't need anything to give them the ability to demonize the party comprised of mostly democrats and occasionally an independent senator that will caucus with them, they've been doing that plenty well enough for the 34 years I've been drawing breath.

Sure, Biden acts like a President, if late-stage Reagan is any metric to compare him to.

e:

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

And even aside from the actual historical context: as a general rule, when someone asks you to refer to them by their preferred nomenclature, and you immediately refuse and double down, that is not a sign that you are a cool and good person. That is a sign that you are a disingenuous shithead acting in bad faith.

Can I take this to presume you were a fierce proponent of renaming the Poliwonks thread away from "Four Seasons Total Landscaping - when the TROMPF fell.", which you were actively posting in while it was named as such?I don't think President Donald Trump's preferred nomenclature is "TROMPF"

Lib and let die fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 13, 2020

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

OH MY GOD GO gently caress YOURSELF

Do not loving co opt loving trans rights talking points to defend your lovely political party being called a slightly wrong name. You loving cruel monster. Do not try to tie my actual suffering to your utter inane bullshit. Especially not in the defense of the party led by so many people that have poo poo on LGBTQ rights for their entire careers

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Marx Was A Lib posted:

I appreciate the realistic, and efforted(?) answer and I do largely agree that any step is better than no step - but when that party's de facto figurehead says they're not going to bother to nip fracking in the bud are they taking any meaningful steps at all or is it all purely performative?

It's hard to say. We tend to lump groups understandably into "Good/Bad" but it's very possible for them to be both. There were steps Obama took which genuinely were good steps (and such why it was so frustrating when Trump rolled them back) but of course that doesn't change the fact that Obama did a whole lot of poo poo too.

It's hard to say how performative it is, especially when discussing controversial matters. Biden was unambiguously pro-Fracking but Fracking is also a major major wedge issue in one of the states that is most important for the election. This means nobody should trust him to do something about it without pressure and thus they need to hold his feet to the fire as best and as often as they can, but it also doesn't necessarily mean he's all-in full-throated Fracking Is Great Woo, especially with the entirely conflicting statement that we need to start transitioning away from oil.

I genuinely believe Biden's Administration will A) Do more than Trump's administration even if that is just rolling back Trump's damaging decisions and B) Not do remotely enough. How far he's willing to go is not something I can reliably project but I will always side with pessimism on this side unless the optimistic solution also has money behind it.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
The people comparing the use of democrat as a pejorative for democrats as equal to insults for gender, race, religion etc are both disingenuous and disgusting. Just stop getting mad about it really that simple.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I remember recently during a rally Trump said something along the lines of "The democrat party; you know we call them that because it sounds bad"

Dumper Humper
Jul 15, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

On the other hand treating "Democrat party" like deadnaming someone is absolutely insane and you should be ashamed.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Hey, can we please not have dumb extended fights about how a poster has failed a shibboleth and is therefore a conservative interloper? It's loving stupid.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Verisimilidude posted:

I remember recently during a rally Trump said something along the lines of "The democrat party; you know we call them that because it sounds bad"
Yeah, I'd really put this on the level of alt-right assholes using the OK sign. Like, I get it, to most people maybe it's not a problem, but it's clear some bad people are using it intentionally as part of spreading their poisonous worldview.

If you're still taking pictures while doing the OK sign, even if you're completely innocent about it, I'm sure people would drag you online for it.

EDIT: crap, posted before the above post, sorry, sorry!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The term was created by conservatives, and pushed by the right wing of the party, out of nowhere, in the 1990s.

Based on responses in this thread, the constant use has normallized it amongst people born at or after the phrase itself. A rousing success of right-wing ultra-conservative propaganda.

So yeah, it's more than a little annoying to see anyone claiming not to be a conservative white-knighting of it.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Trump will never go to jail and if he were actually under threat of being arrested then Biden would intervene to stop it.

Yeah don't equate this with things like trans people asking for their preferred pronouns to be used. No one is actually harmed when someone calls the Democratic Party the Democrat Party.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dumper Humper posted:

On the other hand treating "Democrat party" like deadnaming someone is absolutely insane and you should be ashamed.

If it genuinely makes no difference, then stop using "Democrat Party" because it's grammatically incorrect.

If you continue to use it regardless of that, you're doing it deliberately and have an agenda, knowing exactly what you're saying and why - because it obviously does make a difference to you.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

fool of sound posted:

Hey, can we please not have dumb extended fights about how a poster has failed a shibboleth and is therefore a conservative interloper? It's loving stupid.

The argument isn’t that they’re themselves a conservative interloper, it’s that’s like a conservative they’re approaching the subject in bad faith and then immediately attempting to stake the moral high ground.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The argument isn’t that they’re themselves a conservative interloper, it’s that’s like a conservative they’re approaching the subject in bad faith.

The other argument is who loving cares because this is a stupid thing to argue about.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

If it genuinely makes no difference, then stop using "Democrat Party" because it's grammatically incorrect.

If you continue to use it regardless of that, you're doing it deliberately and have an agenda, knowing exactly what you're saying and why - because it obviously does make a difference to you.

Why does grammatic correctness matter in the least? There's no connection between grammar and morality, and this is a needlessly prescriptive view of language in any case.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'd have more sympathy for the brave post warriors defending the sanctity of the Democratic Party if I felt the party was uniquely democratic in a way that was worth preserving the image of. It's not, so I dont see this as some grand conservative victory over common decency.

Also its weird that one party is "democratic" while the other isnt "republic", IMO

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

quote:

The Federalists of the 1790s made "democrat" a word of ridicule, comparing the followers of Thomas Jefferson to the murderous fanatics of the French Revolution.
:sickos:

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
What is the topic of this thread?

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
McEnany on fox news a minute ago: "I think the President will attend his own inauguration he would have to be there in fact,"

that's a loving Harvard JD at work right there.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's not something I've wanted to wade in on but it's probably worthwhile for some of the posters here to reflect on why they believe that right-wing conservatives are the only ones who could find themselves in a position where they hold the Dem party in total contempt and be driven to slander it. This definitely does not apply only to this specific language.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I have no idea whatsoever about actual data on this and would be curious if you do.

Like, I get that state party platforms probably aren't worth the electrons they're printed on, otherwise I'd be trumpeting the massive revamp of the Texas Dem Platform as one of the good guys' convention successes in 2020. :v: But the national one might matter at least slightly more?

It'll always be a joke until it is made to be binding in some way. Usually it's just a ditch for politicos to piss their malevolent energy into so they can add another line to their resume, but this year was sort of unique for the Dems (and not unique for the GOP) in that the official platform was crafted to signal explicitly that policies the left wanted that they had until then been hinting at adopting would emphatically never reach Biden's ears or see anything but opposition going forward. You can argue about a lot of excluded stuff but it's hard to look at the results and not see that if they had openly embraced fully legal weed they'd probably have the Senate even if they changed nothing else.

As for examples, let's go to the one that earned the party a supermajority in both chambers, Obama's 2008 official DNC platform

- national sick day guarantee (failed)
- card check (didn't even try)
- minimum wage hike (didn't even try, went up in 2009 as a result of 2007 bill)
- pro-worker NAFTA reforms (lied)
- Rejection of illegal wiretapping (fought to preserve it)

And so on. To add insult to injury, most of the undelivered on promises were copied over to the 2012 one as well, only to still get ignored.

Mostly though my argument would be that if the party convention platforms mattered at all, they'd get even a bit of coverage, but they don't because everybody knows they're a joke and the focus will always be on what the candidate themselves is running with

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 13, 2020

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

porfiria posted:

Incredible but true: I was able to figure out the MAGAbomber was a right wing lunatic without knowing he used the phrase “Democrat Party”. One guess as to how.

OK, let me spell this out for you, since you seem to be willfully misinterpreting my argument so you can pretend to take offense at it.

You know that. I know that. My POINT was that the use of "Democrat party" has a long and very, very storied history on the right, and one of the ways they weaponized it was to try and "prove" various mass shooters, as well as the MAGAbomber, were leftists by crafting fake Facebook profiles for them where the subjects trumpeted their long membership in the "Democrat party", apparently not realizing that it's a dead giveaway.

People who claim to be leftists using it are normalizing right-wing propaganda at best and showing their asses at worst.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
^^^I wanna be clear, Kentucky Shark here is absolutely the worst person in this conversation but you're a narrow second with 'actually if you say democrat you're supporting MAGAbombers' fans doing false flags'.

I really don't have words that won't get me banned from these forums for the feelings that come from seeing someone compare 'you said democrat not democratic' and 'stop deadnaming me' as similar gauges for someone's morality.

loving christ.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 13, 2020

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
I'm conservative, I admit it!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

V day

https://twitter.com/JoeMyGod/status/1327308807035179008?s=20

https://twitter.com/deasey_will/status/1324781877169848320?s=19
https://twitter.com/chick_in_kiev/status/1325662197058596865?s=19

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

God the whole Democrat/Democratic Party nonsense is stupid as poo poo

People say Democrat Party because Republican Party = party for Republicans so Democrat Party = party for Democrats.

That's it. That's as far as it goes. You are brain-poisoned if you think it's some slip-up from a conservative double agent because oops they used a term rush limbaugh used 25 years ago

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Do we think AoC or Ilhan would be upset if a young person came up and asked them about the democrat party?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Yeah don't equate this with things like trans people asking for their preferred pronouns to be used. No one is actually harmed when someone calls the Democratic Party the Democrat Party.
I meant it in the more general sense; like, even if someone's name was Jonathan and you called them "Johnny" and they corrected you and you kept doing it anyway, that would still make you an rear end in a top hat, whether "Johnny" was an offensive word or not. It is an inherently assholish thing to do, regardless of all other context.

But fair enough, I'm sorry. I wish this forum wasn't on slow time so I could reply before getting piled.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 13, 2020

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Manager Hoyden posted:

God the whole Democrat/Democratic Party nonsense is stupid as poo poo

People say Democrat Party because Republican Party = party for Republicans so Democrat Party = party for Democrats.

That's it. That's as far as it goes. You are brain-poisoned if you think it's some slip-up from a conservative double agent because oops they used a term rush limbaugh used 25 years ago

Wrong-o

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
e: lol beaten by fos, but in case anybody missed it:

No more "Democrat/Democratic Party" slapfighting, please. It's so stupid.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 13, 2020

Dumper Humper
Jul 15, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Deteriorata posted:

The thing I said was "it's absurd to treat this the same as deadnaming a trans person" not that I don't understand that I'm communicating my disrespect for a party that treats me like poo poo.

Edit majorians post just loaded

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

that's why when Republicans call themselves the Party Of Lincoln we all have to nod and agree.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1327319294057848832

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Nm

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

This is insanely gross. It's political party branding. That's all.

People who oppose that party have no responsibility to respect its branding preferences.

e: Oh cool, guess it's over with only one side of a stupid slapfight getting probed over it, then.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 13, 2020