Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

OB_Juan posted:

I've gotta say -Given her history, taking the darksaber from Bo-Katan, and leaving her alive is a bold stupid move. There's really nothing she can spend her life doing OTHER than getting that thing back.

Fixed that for you. Though presumably if Gideon could have killed her back then, he would have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
Nice Katee Sackhoff getting more roles. I so didn't notice her with red hair. When her name came up in the credits, I was like ohhhhh.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Uziduke posted:

Nice Katee Sackhoff getting more roles. I so didn't notice her with red hair. When her name came up in the credits, I was like ohhhhh.

The best part is that this is the same role she had as a voice actress on The Clone Wars and Rebels.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
A Proposal: actually do a sequel to Solo, but let Bryce direct it instead of her dad.

Who's with me?

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Frankenstyle posted:

Godammit, talk about whiplash. On one hand this episode was flawless and may be my favorite so far. On the other hand it really drove home the point that they intend to let Feloni turn the show into a "I get to bring my goofy cartoon into the real world" vanity project. I never would have believed it, but I'm starting to think that they may be able to do that without the show becoming terrible.

Well, everything up until this point has maintained the tone/scope that made the show great in the first place. I think your concerns are misplaced.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Dude’s probably an actual good builders but the ship was in such terrible shape AND Din paid so little for “repairs” dude just went to town on it in the shittiest way possible.

Phylodox posted:

If you've seen Mon Calamari ships, they look kind of like they're grown out of coral or something, so them being good at building ships their way in no way necessarily translates to them being good at fixing other kinds of ships.

Yeah, that makes sense. Plus, to be fair to him, he did clearly say that he wasn't going to be able to fix it, just that he could make it fly again.

But why the nets

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

nine-gear crow posted:

A Proposal: actually do a sequel to Solo, but let Bryce direct it instead of her dad.

Who's with me?

Alternatively, leave Han Solo alone and let BDH direct an Aphra series.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. Plus, to be fair to him, he did clearly say that he wasn't going to be able to fix it, just that he could make it fly again.

But why the nets

It’s the Mon Calimari version of leaving a mint on your pillow.

Belan
May 7, 2007

Uziduke posted:

And I was like "wait that wasn't Felicia Day?".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SalTheBard posted:

I've been really confused in general about the idea that Madalorian is belief system and not a race of people and those sort of cleared it up that Din is actually an Uber fundamentalist. The fact he doesn't believe that actual living breathing Mandalorians are ideologically pure is hilarious

Mandalorian has been a belief system longer than Disney has owned it. At least as far back as 2004 Mandalorians have adopted and conscripted into their ranks (see: Knights of the Old Republic 2) and they're not picky about who they let in, species-wise.

Not that any two Mandalorians can ever seem to agree on what they should be. Are they space Mongols (Original Taung species)? Crusading Knights Templar (Knights of the Old Republic)? A group of evil warriors who fought the Jedi in the Clone Wars (preliminary notes for Boba Fett in ESB)? Space Texas rangers (Journeyman Protectors)? Space Pacifists (New Mandalorians)? Celtic / Maori tribesmen (Clan Skirata from Republic Commando)? Black Ops terrorists (Clone Wars Death Watch)? Warring Game of Thrones noble houses (Rebels Mandalorians)? Armed militiamen (Fenn Shysa's Mandalorian Protectors)? Rival mercenary factions (Jango's True Mandos versus Tor Viszla's Death Watch in Open Seasons)?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

nine-gear crow posted:

Who's with me?

Yep. But get a script from Lord and Miller and leave stupid rear end Kasden out of it.

Unless it’s Jake Kasden

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

teagone posted:

Alternatively, leave Han Solo alone and let BDH direct an Aphra series.

I'd rather watch Han Solo fight giant space otters than get an Aphra series. I believed the goons saying it's good, spent a bunch of money on the books, and holy crap they're terrible.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I hope it turns out that Gideon's whipped up his own custom fighter ship that's made out of Beskar and we get to see some crazy dogfight to take it down at some point. That seems like the kind of move I can see an Imperial Moff doing, taking this precious resource and using it in a way that totally isn't the best way it could be used, but it makes one badass thing. Kind of like how Thrawn kept promoting the idea of heaps of not-fodder TIE fighters but Palpatine just wanted those Death Stars instead.

It's pretty hilarious to think about how the Battle of Yavin would have basically wiped out the rebellion if instead of the Death Star, Vader and Tarkin showed up with a fleet of 1,000+ little high-spec fighters to go up against the handful of fighters the rebels had there.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

CelticPredator posted:

Yep. But get a script from Lord and Miller and leave stupid rear end Kasden out of it.

Unless it’s Jake Kasden

If you get Lord and Miller involved, you give them creative control and dont retract it. Solo was a good film that could’ve been great and was horribly hamstrung by its production issues and deadline.

Disney, stop giving these things hard deadlines. They’re done when they’re done.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

IBroughttheFunk posted:

From what I have learned from various Star Wars shows, the Mon Calamari are supposed to be renowned shipbuilders. Which made the patch-job that one guy did on Mando's ship all the funnier to me because it was such absolute poo poo.

Like, why did he even need to drape the seats with fish nets? The seats were one of the few things that weren't damaged. No reason, just throw it in there with the rope and seaweed and whatever the hell.

You get what you paid for

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Solo was a good film that could’ve been great

Thank you. I feel so much less alone.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

If you get Lord and Miller involved, you give them creative control and dont retract it. Solo was a good film that could’ve been great and was horribly hamstrung by its production issues and deadline.

Disney, stop giving these things hard deadlines. They’re done when they’re done.

Entertainment will never ever work like this.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Am I the only one who's a little bit worried about the fact that this show is tying itself directly into events and characters from the cartoons?

Not to disrespect those shows, (I've never really watched them outside a couple of episodes, which I've been told were bad ones) but it's one of those shows where there's a ton of characters, a zillion episodes, a litany of backstory and all created in the guise of a kids television series.

I liked that the Mandalorian was doing its own thing and could explore the Star Wars universe from a different angle. One of the worst things about Star Wars post-Jedi is that everything ends up being a callback or reference to something that happened before, and all the world building about the universe feels less and less real as everything directly related to something else.

It also can bind the shows writing direction into a never ending argument about canon bullshit.

So far this program is doing a good job of it, of course, which speaks to the shows quality and relieves me a bit. I didn't know that Olyphant or Sackhoff were characters that had appeared before, nor that the darksaber or whatever it is was a thing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Solo would have been better if they replaced Han, Chewie, and Lando with new characters.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Bust Rodd posted:

My singular complaint is that I am very tired of Din just moonwalking into the most obvious ambushes in the universe. This episode was otherwise extrememly cool. As someone unfamiliar with Clone Wars and Mandalore stuff, getting to discover that Din is like a fundamentalist wackjob at roughly the same time that he did was very amusing. I am very curious as to what he was raised to think of Mandalorians who don't follow all the rules.

Yeah, I know Din probably spent most of his time at Mando Church but he needs to stop being such a rube and trusting everyone he meets at a cantina while wearing beskar from head to toe. At least paint it or something so he doesn’t look like a walking Tiffany’s.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
If you didn't watch Clone Wars or Rebels or whatever this episode was still cool as gently caress, if you did then it was even COOLER. What a dumb argument

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mando was literally asked if he wanted to join in on the Clone Wars nostalgia parade and he told Bo Katan he's busy doing his own thing. Given that I think Ahsoka will turn him down and not take Baby Yoda, he can continue doing his own thing while the show gets to acknowledge the animated properties exist.

Certainly the Night Owls got a better live action treatment than junkyard Vader Saw Gerrerra.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Isometric Bacon posted:

Am I the only one who's a little bit worried about the fact that this show is tying itself directly into events and characters from the cartoons?

Not to disrespect those shows, (I've never really watched them outside a couple of episodes, which I've been told were bad ones) but it's one of those shows where there's a ton of characters, a zillion episodes, a litany of backstory and all created in the guise of a kids television series.

I liked that the Mandalorian was doing its own thing and could explore the Star Wars universe from a different angle. One of the worst things about Star Wars post-Jedi is that everything ends up being a callback or reference to something that happened before, and all the world building about the universe feels less and less real as everything directly related to something else.

It also can bind the shows writing direction into a never ending argument about canon bullshit.

So far this program is doing a good job of it, of course, which speaks to the shows quality and relieves me a bit. I didn't know that Olyphant or Sackhoff were characters that had appeared before, nor that the darksaber or whatever it is was a thing.

You’re not going to be able to put Din in contact with any Jedi from this time period unless you either go to the cartoons or use a digitally de-aged Luke Skywalker. This is the better option.

edit: And personally I hate the idea of just serving up some made up lost Jedi on tap whenever the plot needs one, which is assume the EU novels probably did.

CubanMissile fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 13, 2020

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

teagone posted:

Solo would have been better if they replaced Han, Chewie, and Lando with new characters.

I went to see it begrudgingly, thinking of it as The Chewbacca Movie featuring some guy he knew before he met Han Solo that I was determined to hate. To my surprise the guy playing Han wasn't awesome, but he wasn't terrible, and Danny Glover was perfect. It's a shame it won't get any sequels, because it at least proved that in the right hands it could have been great.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

SalTheBard posted:

I've been really confused in general about the idea that Madalorian is belief system and not a race of people and those sort of cleared it up that Din is actually an Uber fundamentalist. The fact he doesn't believe that actual living breathing Mandalorians are ideologically pure is hilarious

Din Jaryn : Mando Culture :: Worf : Klingon Culture

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Frankenstyle posted:

I went to see it begrudgingly, thinking of it as The Chewbacca Movie featuring some guy he knew before he met Han Solo that I was determined to hate. To my surprise the guy playing Han wasn't awesome, but he wasn't terrible, and Danny Glover was perfect. It's a shame it won't get any sequels, because it at least proved that in the right hands it could have been great.

Personally I felt Solo was the best movie since ROTJ. Agreed on Han and Lando. You’re never going to replace Harrison Ford and Don Glover did such an amazing job it’s sad we’ll probably never see him in the role again.

CubanMissile fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 13, 2020

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
This episode released on Friday the 13th.

Look at this:

https://twitter.com/nerdist/status/1327363995301457922

now look at this:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Isometric Bacon posted:

I can understand your concerns but my favorite episode is the season opener which revolves around some noname EU character walking around Tatooine in Boba Fett's armor, which on the face of it some of that poo poo I hated about EU. But it ended up being great so I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cage Kicker posted:

If you didn't watch Clone Wars or Rebels or whatever this episode was still cool as gently caress, if you did then it was even COOLER. What a dumb argument

Yep, exactly. Bo-Katan's introduction required nothing from the audience. There is no burden of knowledge. She's essentially a new character. The cool thing is, if anyone would like to, they can embellish her character by watching Clone Wars/Rebels. But they don't have to if they don't want, so just lmao at any doomsayers suggesting the "cartoons in muh space western gonna ruin it :argh:" argument.

[Edit] as said earlier by another goon, trust in Filoni.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 13, 2020

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

CubanMissile posted:

Yeah, I know Din probably spent most of his time at Mando Church but he needs to stop being such a rube and trusting everyone he meets at a cantina while wearing beskar from head to toe. At least paint it or something so he doesn’t look like a walking Tiffany’s.

I think that's part of the point though. You don't get Beskar armor unless you're badass enough to earn it, and you don't wear it unless you're badass enough to keep it. As functional as it is it's also a symbolic "come at me bro" to the universe, and if you can't prove you deserve to have it you won't be keeping it.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

poo poo. I don't know why I always call him by his fathers name.

CubanMissile posted:

Solo was the best movie since ROTJ.

I liked R1 a bunch, but I'm gonna agree with you on this.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 13, 2020

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Frankenstyle posted:

I think that's part of the point though. You don't get Beskar armor unless you're badass enough to earn it, and you don't wear it unless you're badass enough to keep it. As functional as it is it's also a symbolic "come at me bro" to the universe, and if you can't prove you deserve to have it you won't be keeping it.

That makes sense for a bounty hunter but it’s still kind of a dumb way to do things when:

1. What’s left of your people are secretive and in hiding.
2. Your current mission is such that you want to draw as little attention as possible.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Frankenstyle posted:

poo poo. I don't know why I always call him by his fathers name.

He's Donald Glover Sr.'s son. No relation to Danny Glover.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

I think Rogue One would have been a better movie if they gave us what was promised by the trailers.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Problem is Disney sucks rear end and wants to undermine poo poo

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

I think Rogue One would have been a better movie if they gave us what was promised by the trailers.

I would have like to have seen Ben Mendelsohn utilized better. He’s so good. And Cassian was an incredibly boring spy.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
gently caress solo for many things, but turning droid emancipation into a joke and a nuisance for the main characters most of all.

Either cut that subplot or go fully into it and also change it into a Lando movie.

Edit: and after pages and pages of ridiculous pearl clutching over eggs, they only fertilized one of the dozens left.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

teagone posted:

lmao at any doomsayers making the "cartoons in muh space western gonna ruin it :argh:"

Lol at extrapolating my comments to be anything like the above. I explicitly said the show was doing a good job of introducing these things without alienating the audience.

My main point was you're implicitly tying into some other lore introduced elsewhere, and it could detract from telling your own unique story.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

CubanMissile posted:

That makes sense for a bounty hunter but it’s still kind of a dumb way to do things when:

1. What’s left of your people are secretive and in hiding.
2. Your current mission is such that you want to draw as little attention as possible.

Well yeah, but in what universe does logic ever apply to a fundamentalist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Arcsquad12 posted:

Certainly the Night Owls got a better live action treatment than junkyard Vader Saw Gerrerra.

God drat, it just occurred to me that Bo-Katan was at least as old as Saw in TCW, and we see her now looking in pretty decent shape, while we saw Saw like ten years prior to this and he looked like absolute poo poo.