Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

does raja have any good hardware under his belt? it looks like his tenure at Intel is going to be a dud too so i'm wondering how he's managed to fail upwards, and even a contender for Intel CEO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Well, I mean, have you seen his shrouds? Pure brilliance, right there my friend.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

everything is an overclocker's dream when the overclocker has a merch store and a LN2 tank

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

NicelyNice posted:

I dunno why more card manufactures don't push silence or thermals at the cost of a bit of performance - there's gotta be a market for this. Ridiculous the card sounds like a jet engine at stock.

Because saving 20% power for -1% perf doesn't sit well for the Youtuber e-peen manbaby crowd

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
I could go for a power virus, my room is cold and I don't pay for electricity so my computer acting as a space heater would only be a positive

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

sean10mm posted:

So I've been playing with my Asus RTX 3070 Dual OC a couple days and have some observations:

1) For an "entry level" 2 fan card it wants to boost to the loving moon at every chance. Like almost 2,000 every time I run a benchmark.
2) RAM can OC by +1,000 and not even break a sweat running Port Royal torture test loops over and over. Nice.
3) Problem is, it does all this on a 2 fan cooler (albeit a big one) that has to spin the fans like a power drill to keep cool at those boost clocks.
4) Undervolting to 850mv for ~1800 boost plus the RAM OC gets you the exact same Time Spy score as running stock, but 10C cooler and the fans stay in the "quiet" zone instead of the "shut the gently caress up" zone.
5) There is a switch for performance vs quiet mode, but the switch isn't labeled and it doesn't seem to do anything.

What do you use for undervolting? I have the same card and I can't find the setting to undervolt in Asus GPU Tweak II, just "GPU Voltage %".

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I gave up on my non OC TUF 3080 and ordered a Gigabyte card for 10% more. Seemed worth it to not have to bother checking for information anymore and gently caress ASUS/Alternate for the total lack of communication anyway.

1070 for scale, it's a long boy

Was quite loud in the normal fan mode, but the quiet bios is pretty much silent and gives exactly the same performance so :shrug:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Samadhi posted:

For those in the thread who have gotten 3080 cards: how did you end up snagging one?

Your Graphics Card is in another castle, Mario!

I used a telegram bot that sends you a direct link when an FE comes back in stock, but I think it’s a UK only bot.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Palladium posted:

e-peen manbaby

:barf:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Back in the day we had a mirc script which calculated the length of your vpenis, Virtual Penis, according to the hardware you used. It was quite fun, it outputted the length in centimeters to the chat. You could see your penis grow longer by installing new, better hardware.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It’s nostalgic to see some hardware forums still do the owned hardware as part of a poster’s signature. lol and certain NAS enthusiast forums where posters list their insane home hobbyist storage solutions

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

the new hotness is putting your specs on your twitch page

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Samadhi posted:

For those in the thread who have gotten 3080 cards: how did you end up snagging one?

I got 2 3080 FE cards using the Tu Madre discord and having an account with Best Buy set up with shipping/billing info.

Usually happens around the end of the week. If adding it or checking out doesn’t work stay tuned in the discord, there may be a trick like clicking ADD TO CART a hundred times. I almost walked away once before reading a message saying to just keep spamming the checkout.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Samadhi posted:

I hung out on one of the discords (Tu I think?), saw a notification earlier this week that Best Buy was about to get a drop and then :f5: till I got one.

So here's a weird thing that's happened to me since installing my 3080. My BIOS post gives me 4 short beeps and then boots as normal. No other issues. Spent some time researching it and the first batch of Google answers didn't add up (Timing/Memory failure) but then I found this
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/j18rf7/mainboard_beeping_4_short_times_after_installing/

I also found some other results where multiple people with 3080's all have the same issue. 4 POST beeps, but no other problems and everything works as normal. Anyone here experience this?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Im still REAL salty at AMD for the RX480/580 stuff. That crap was completely unstable and I don't even game. Just running desktop stuff! Wasted around $600 on 2x of those stupid cards. 1070 replaced them and has been %100 stable.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

The 3080 FE situation in the UK is tragic. There's one small drop every 3 or 4 weeks.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Rollie Fingers posted:

The 3080 FE situation in the UK is tragic. There's one small drop every 3 or 4 weeks.

Pretty sure the states have been pretty consistent at one FE drop every 2-3 weeks. Not that patterns matter but it seems like thu-fri are the days to be ready to roll.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Missionary Positron posted:

What do you use for undervolting? I have the same card and I can't find the setting to undervolt in Asus GPU Tweak II, just "GPU Voltage %".

MSI Afterburner.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/jn878f/small_beginners_undervolting_guide_for_rtx_3070_fe/

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Rollie Fingers posted:

There’s been consistent drops for the past 3 weeks, excluding this week. I finally got mine last week when they switched to being sold by Scan.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I missed last week's one because, despite being glued to discord for days, I went to the kitchen to make a cup of tea and missed the 2 minute window they were available on Scan.

Last week's FE drop was the first one for a month, no?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Rollie Fingers posted:

I missed last week's one because, despite being glued to discord for days, I went to the kitchen to make a cup of tea and missed the 2 minute window they were available on Scan.

Last week's FE drop was the first one for a month, no?

No there was Scan FE stock the previous Wednesday, the day before the new Ryzen's were released. Prior to that there was one on Monday I think?

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Ok that's a relief! guess I'll stick to discord.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

DrDork posted:

I don't think this is true. I think the codes are generic, but you do need a Ampere card in order to redeem them--I was able to redeem one that I got from a 3090 on my 3080 without issue, so I don't think they're in any way locked by S/N or whatever.. Open question whether you can redeem a code on a 3070 that doesn't normally come with one, though.

I was joking. I’m 99% sure it’s just a transferable code. No S/N or specific cars needed.

Pro tip for those who still want a card and are on the discord: pay attention to the general chat around the time of drops. I scored that Gigabyte 3080 by reading chat and getting ahead of the notifications by a couple minutes.

Also start F5ing the Newegg 30XX or BB 30XX listings around that time as well.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Rollie Fingers posted:

I do not believe my country's market got any 3080s whatsoever yet.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't recall seeing it posted here, but the Radeon cards go live 11/18 at 9 eastern.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I can't even express how frustrating it is to be on top of these Amazon card drops only for it to not add to cart because I guess it's already gone?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I’ve bought 4 cards so far. One for myself and 3 for friends. I was frustrated and about to give up, then suddenly got lucky and got 4 within 3 days.

1.) An EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra that I got through the EVGA waiting list. I was lucky that I had clicked Notify Me on 9/16. Getting the stock email for this was the beginning of my lucky streak. I love EVGA and I’m happy I got mine from them as I am kind of a loyal customer at this point. Their warranty and customer support really does live up to their reputation.

2.) A Gigabyte 3080 from Newegg, thanks to the Discord. It came bundled with a PSU which my friend needed anyways. I used Paypal for fast checkout. This card is HUGE. My friend had to buy a larger case than he had planned just to fit it.

3.) A Zotac 3070 from Zotac, thanks to the Discord. I tried Zotac drops for days and finally got lucky. It’s not easy. You need to be logged in and use the checkout links. Zotac gets a lot of poo poo but this card looked very cool and solidly built.

4.) Another EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra from Newegg, again thanks to the Discord. It came bundled with a motherboard that I’m gonna return and my friend is gonna eat the $15 return fee.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I feel like I'm least likely to get lucky with the Zotac site because that thing crashes every time there's a drop

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

shrike82 posted:

does raja have any good hardware under his belt? it looks like his tenure at Intel is going to be a dud too so i'm wondering how he's managed to fail upwards, and even a contender for Intel CEO

he was in charge of radeon hd 4000? series i think?

those were pretty good, but it's questionable how involved he was in the thing at this point lmao

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Thanks! :respek:

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
My 3090 Strix oc costs me 1850 Euro in my new rig and I felt this already was insane.
Per today Caseking lists her at 2050 Euro.
WTF

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

FlamingLiberal posted:

I can't even express how frustrating it is to be on top of these Amazon card drops only for it to not add to cart because I guess it's already gone?

Yeah, I was right on top of an Amazon drop earlier of the TUF 3080 and still couldn’t add it to my cart. I’ve just been trying to get either an EVGA 3070 (step up option) or EVGA 3080 or the TUF 3080 and have struck out every time this week.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I had a TUF 3080 in my cart on Asus' store 3 times last night and each time the site broke entirely from getting hammered by everyone trying to do the same

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Igor's Lab going on about the chip being convex (some more, some less), ostensibly due to shoddy manufacturing, and that not being good with a heatsink putting force on it. Fabulous.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m seriously thinking about buying a prebuilt computer so I can get a 3090 without waiting forever. Falcon Northwest is tempting the hell out of me right now.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

bus hustler posted:

the new hotness is putting your specs on your twitch page

The streamers I watch do this so they don't have to answer what they're running every five minutes when someone new pops in.

I watch like Fall Guys and Mario Maker, so not any of the epeen games I guess.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Igor's Lab going on about the chip being convex (some more, some less), ostensibly due to shoddy manufacturing, and that not being good with a heatsink putting force on it. Fabulous.

wasn't that the same site that went on about the nonsense capacitor story? why would you trust them

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I'm hearing a faint ticking noise, almost like the second hand on a quiet clock, with my XC3 Ultra 3080. That's not coil whine right? I'm afraid it's going to make me go insane eventually.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

KingKapalone posted:

I'm hearing a faint ticking noise, almost like the second hand on a quiet clock, with my XC3 Ultra 3080. That's not coil whine right? I'm afraid it's going to make me go insane eventually.
Coil whine is more like an electrical buzz. Fans hitting something?

Uncapped menus like the Resident Evil Remakes are pretty good at revealing any coil whine iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

KingKapalone posted:

Do you have cables near your fans?