Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Have you looked into the cooler master MM720?
It's got a spot for a ring finger to sit. It looks extra wide.

No idea if it's good, it's still new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Roumba posted:

Do you use your ring finger for right clicking and that's why your pinkie+thumb are squeezing to control the mouse?

I have a similar wish for a wide ring finger and pinkie shelf so they can stay mostly in plane with my pointer and middle while not sliding on the mouse pad. I swear mice are designed for tiny people or creatures with only 3 or 4 fingers on each hand. I'm not exactly a giant (6'1" 155lb)185cm 72kg I think? but drat.

We call that the Vulcan Death Grip.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I wish someone made like, replacement shells for mice like they do with gameboys and ipods. I still love my |G400s, just don't love looking at it. :(

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Minorkos posted:

In the gaming sphere, you would basically need a very tall ergo mouse like the EC1 (very big) or maybe a Glorious Model D (somewhat smaller) to rest your entire hand with all its fingers on it. Though I'd maybe rather use the FK1+-B since it's very long and wide, but still has a low profile, so it's more comfortable to actually rest your hand on it when you do. That said, both the EC1 and FK1 have felt unnecessarily bulky for me, even as a 6'3 dude and with some fairly large hands.

As far as I know, most gaming mice now are designed in such a way that when you are aiming, you'll raise your palm slightly, tense your hand and actively grip the mouse with your ring finger and thumb while your pinky mostly hangs off the side. Gaming mice are often smaller so that there is a bit of flex space for the mouse to move inside your palm for pinpoint aiming and such. These design choices make a lot of sense when you're going for flick headshots and sniping and so on, but if you're lazily moving your mouse around while working then yeah, your fingers will probably drag across your mousepad. It personally doesn't bother me, and in fact I still end up coming back to the smaller and lighter Razer Viper for work stuff even after using bigger mice. I think once you get out of wanting to full-on gorilla palm grip every mouse, smaller mice start to make a lot more sense. With the Viper specifically, I can grip it in a ton of different ways while swapping hands to reduce strain, thanks to its light, nimble and asymmetrical design, whereas something like the EC1 only really accommodates a right-handed palm grip.

I think if your fingers dragging across your mouse surface feels like a problem, I'd say that's more of a problem with your mousepad or your hand than the mouse. I've been using my mouse for like 10 hours a day since forever, and my fingers drag across my mousepad all the time, and it has never been a problem for me. If your pinky finger is abnormally sore then you might just want to cover it with something when you work. A lot of your ergonomic issues might also go away with some type of physical therapy. Doing wrist exercises helped me when I had tendonitis and every mouse gave me hand pain.

A good post. Seriously, if you are having pain while mousing, the first place to look is not the mouse, but how you're using it. Elbow and especially wrist angle, utilization of large vs small muscles, grip tightness, seating posture, these things are probably where your pain is coming from.

Do not do dumb poo poo and gently caress up your hands while searching for a mouse that lets you get away with it. You will regret it for the rest of your life, and most of us probably aren't that old yet.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Seconded. I was having lots of wrist pain and then realized my sensitivity was way too high. I set it to like 600 and now I can use my arm instead of just my tiny wrist muscles. It made a world of difference

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
So if I want a basic normal gaming mouse should I just look at what razer has to offer? Can someone name a couple of recommended mouse make+models for fps'ing please? Not super pro elite, just, gaming fps mouse.

Also can someone recommended a hard mouse pad of a good size? I got a pad but it's a little small.

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

LordAdakos posted:

Have you looked into the cooler master MM720?
It's got a spot for a ring finger to sit. It looks extra wide.

No idea if it's good, it's still new.

I bought this and have had a couple weeks with it now and so far it's been great. I've never used a Xornet or Spawn shape but it's been comfortable. Ultralight makes a huge difference along with a stock paracord style cable.

My previous mouse was a G403, so far I like the MM720 shape more.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

redreader posted:

So if I want a basic normal gaming mouse should I just look at what razer has to offer? Can someone name a couple of recommended mouse make+models for fps'ing please? Not super pro elite, just, gaming fps mouse.

Also can someone recommended a hard mouse pad of a good size? I got a pad but it's a little small.

Razer Viper
Razer Basilisk
Razer Death Adder

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

K8.0 posted:

A good post. Seriously, if you are having pain while mousing, the first place to look is not the mouse, but how you're using it. Elbow and especially wrist angle, utilization of large vs small muscles, grip tightness, seating posture, these things are probably where your pain is coming from.

Do not do dumb poo poo and gently caress up your hands while searching for a mouse that lets you get away with it. You will regret it for the rest of your life, and most of us probably aren't that old yet.

My physical therapist said that for the most part poor ergonomics aren't inherently too dangerous, since they'll typically only cause you to use more of your muscles while working, and that will only hurt you if those muscles are weak. I called him out on this a bit since that seemed incredibly stupid to me, but after he clarified a bit, I do see his point about how to primarily approach these issues. If you find yourself seeking increasingly specific ergonomics (like I did), then it's more likely your problems are fixed with weight training than improving workplace ergonomics. He said that although good ergonomics are always better, you shouldn't be afraid outright afraid of working with poor ergonomics or using your muscles while working, because that will typically only hamper your recovery and cause more issues for you down the line.

Still, good ergonomics are important, but I'd say the only stuff that absolutely matters is stuff that causes carpal tunnel, which is notably not a matter of muscle strength nor (relatively) easily solved. As long as your muscle strength is up to par, everything else is supposedly more or less for comfort and to improve the amount of time you can spend working. So yeah, make sure your wrist position is good, and make sure you're primarily using your mouse with your arm, not your wrist.

redreader posted:

I like to reply to every post in this thread with "try the Razer Viper" so here I go recommending the Razer Viper again. The ambidextrous low-profile shape might feel weird if you're coming from big ergo mice, but it should grow on you fairly quickly. Most top gaming mice use a similar shape since it just works very well. This shape is used also by the Glorious Model O and FK1-B, though I prefer the Viper because it's very light without hole technology, it has a better texture and buttons than the FK-1B and it has optical switches that shouldn't fail. There's also Logitech GPW, which is extremely popular among esports people, though it usually develops double clicking issues within months, and its shape and build quality are more divisive. If you absolutely want an asymmetrical ergo mouse for whatever reason, then check out the Glorious Model D. Also, don't make the mistake of using a bigger mouse than you need to. The smallest and lightest a mouse that you can comfortably use is pretty much always going to be better.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 15, 2020

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

SalTheBard posted:

Razer Viper

Minorkos posted:

I like to reply to every post in this thread with "try the Razer Viper" so here I go recommending the Razer Viper again.

it's currently selling for $40 on amazon so I got one. Thanks for the recommendations!

It'll only arrive in about a month but at that price, I don't really care.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Wait, Razer are being recommended now? I thought their QC was notoriously bad. The one time I tried a wireless mouse of theirs (granted, this was years ago) it developed a squeak and faulty mouse wheel in the first week.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

While it's not as godawful as it was for the first decade, Razer quality is still mediocre at best. It's more that everyone's quality is in the dumpster now, largely because everyone is running switches at voltages below spec which causes early failure. Razer is using optical switches on some of their mice, which avoids this problem. That's how Razer mice are all of a sudden considered relatively more reliable than other brands.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So you’re saying I should tighten my claw grip on my current mouse, man that sucks to hear.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

ijyt posted:

Wait, Razer are being recommended now? I thought their QC was notoriously bad. The one time I tried a wireless mouse of theirs (granted, this was years ago) it developed a squeak and faulty mouse wheel in the first week.

I'm not sure Razer has gotten any better in general, but the Viper seems to be mostly fine. There's usually some light m1/m2 button wobble, probably because they wanted looser buttons for lighter presses, but it's rarely bad enough to actually be a problem. It helps that the mouse has optical switches so you don't really have to worry about getting double-clicking issues like other mice.

The mouse market is also kind of funky now. A lot of mouse manufacturers seem to now be suffering from QC issues to the point that Razer doesn't seem that bad. At least the Viper's issues are mostly benign.

ijyt posted:

So you’re saying I should tighten my claw grip on my current mouse, man that sucks to hear.

I might be a dumbass consumer but I'll take hyper-light modern mice over the old ergo bricks, bad quality control or not. But maybe I only feel like that because I know I can get a full refund on my Viper at any time because my copy has a slightly-less-than-cosmetic wobble issue

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 15, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

redreader posted:

I'm super happy with my DeathAdder Elite

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
I'll counter these positive sentiments with: the last several razer products I've owned broke within 3-6 months. I've personally had nothing but bad luck with razer products, but this was between 3 and 5 years ago. I guess your milage may vary.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

K8.0 posted:

I'm largely having pain because my job is over-stressing my arms from the weight I work with, so my hands are a bit weaker than they really should be. I've gotten tendonitis through my thumb because of that place and I had to wear a brace for 3 months, while still having to be on the job. Do I want to quit? Absolutely. Can I afford to? No, not really. Was trying to get a new job this year BECAUSE my right hand muscles started getting worse, but then Covid happened and now I'm stuck. So for now I'm really just trying to find a way to get around this until an opportunity presents itself. unfortunately all I can really do is just ice my hands every so often and hope that I can get back to working on things I care about soon.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Minorkos posted:

I might be a dumbass consumer but I'll take hyper-light modern mice over the old ergo bricks, bad quality control or not. But maybe I only feel like that because I know I can get a full refund on my Viper at any time because my copy has a slightly-less-than-cosmetic wobble issue

I’m not super into light mice to be honest, I miss my G9 that I could add weights to. wish that cord hadn’t broken. It’s not like the G400s is exceptionally heavy at 130-ish grams either.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I'm getting some weird double-triple clicking when I sometimes click things with my Logitech G Pro mouse. Weirdly I had started an RMA process for it over a year ago when this first appeared but it went away and stayed away for almost a year now, so I just didn;'t bother finishing it. But now it's back and I dont think they'll cover it anymore since it's been awhile. I looked up and it appears bending the switch a little isn't actually that hard, but has anyone had experience with this problem and fixing it? I'm already using GHub with tthe latest firmware (i think)

Also the Logitechs support seems to have massively gone downhill and the RMA process when I first tried was laughably awful holy hell. They wanted me to have a hand-written note with the serial number, next to the mouse also showing the serial number, and then have me take a video using my phone of me clicking my mouse on this one github site that measures double-clicks.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

While we're talking about shoddy products, I'll give a mention to Steelseries Rival 310. I'm not being hyperbolic when I say it's the shoddiest piece of poo poo I ever wasted money on. It felt cheap, it broke early and easily, it's ugly and it was designed by cretins.

Cheers to the goon who recommended me the new Intellimouse. It's a fantastic mouse - the build quality is great and it feels premium. Definitely the best mouse I've used.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Rollie Fingers posted:

While we're talking about shoddy products, I'll give a mention to Steelseries Rival 310. I'm not being hyperbolic when I say it's the shoddiest piece of poo poo I ever wasted money on. It felt cheap, it broke early and easily, it's ugly and it was designed by cretins.

Cheers to the goon who recommended me the new Intellimouse. It's a fantastic mouse - the build quality is great and it feels premium. Definitely the best mouse I've used.
This was me and I also came off the Rival 310. MS Intellimouse Pro still going strong but I have noticed an infrequent bug where it'll just randomly die and require a quick unplug/replug. Guessing it's driver/M&K Center-related. Still love the thing though and zero other issues so far.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Those mice with the honey comb patterns cut in them, do they leave weird patterns on your hands or anything?

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Razer Basilisk Ultimate is a really good wireless mouse if you want wireless.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SalTheBard posted:

Those mice with the honey comb patterns cut in them, do they leave weird patterns on your hands or anything?

not unless you are frequently slamming your hands down on your mouse as hard as you can

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Xaris posted:

Also the Logitechs support seems to have massively gone downhill and the RMA process when I first tried was laughably awful holy hell. They wanted me to have a hand-written note with the serial number, next to the mouse also showing the serial number, and then have me take a video using my phone of me clicking my mouse on this one github site that measures double-clicks.

I'm thinking the reason QC and customer support has gone down in general is because most people aren't going to bother with this stuff and will rather just buy a new mouse. Although at least in my country, consumers are protected well enough that typically you can just return the mouse directly to the store you bought it from and they have to honor the return because of the EU-mandated 2 year warranty thing.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Model O wireless is out now - didn't see anyone post about it. I imagine it'll be a safer buy now than the original run of Model Os were, since most of the parts of the wireless will be identical (unless there was some huge redesign of the internals that was necessary). Probably a safe choice for people who like ambi shapes. It's 69 grams, which is nice, and US$80, which isn't bad.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm kind of impressed that Razer released the DeathAdder V2 Pro in 2020 with a Micro USB port rather than Type-C. Real courage there.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Xaris posted:

I'm getting some weird double-triple clicking when I sometimes click things with my Logitech G Pro mouse. Weirdly I had started an RMA process for it over a year ago when this first appeared but it went away and stayed away for almost a year now, so I just didn;'t bother finishing it. But now it's back and I dont think they'll cover it anymore since it's been awhile. I looked up and it appears bending the switch a little isn't actually that hard, but has anyone had experience with this problem and fixing it? I'm already using GHub with tthe latest firmware (i think)

Oh hey that was me a bit ago too. It went away and then the middle click decided to start mis- or double-clicking. Luckily the Lefty Naga came out and I've been using that since. Sold the G Pro on eBay for a discount mentioning the above issue and nearly covered the Naga's cost

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neurosis posted:

Model O wireless is out now - didn't see anyone post about it. I imagine it'll be a safer buy now than the original run of Model Os were, since most of the parts of the wireless will be identical (unless there was some huge redesign of the internals that was necessary). Probably a safe choice for people who like ambi shapes. It's 69 grams, which is nice, and US$80, which isn't bad.

I would guess the internals are totally different and only the shell is similar. Using a sensor not designed for wireless is a recipe for poo poo battery life. Im waiting for the model D wireless personally. No idea if its even planned but I hope so

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I've been experiencing wrist pain in my mousing hand recently. Like a lot of people, I'm using my computer all the drat time due to COVID so the cause seems pretty obvious. I both work from home and use my computer for recreation, all using the same mouse.

I am currently using a Logitech G903, which is an utterly standard style mouse.

For work, I want to try a vertical mouse or trackball to see if it relieves the pain. A few questions:

1) Is there any good literature to help me decide between a vertical mouse, trackball, and vertical trackball? I am looking for a health perspective, I am sure all three designs will be just fine from a computing perspective.

An example health question I'd like answered: Logitech makes a trackball where your hand rests at 20 degrees, Kensington makes one where your hand rests at 60 degrees. Does this make a health difference?

2) Any of you have personal experience with mousing wrist pain, vertical mice, trackballs, etc. that might help?

I've already ordered a Kensington Pro Fit Ergo Vertical Wireless Trackball (K75326WW) just to quickly try something, but I want to learn more and am willing to try others if it's likely to work better (again, from a health perspective) than this one.

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Nov 17, 2020

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
I had wrist problems a while back. Sharp pain after mousing for a bit.

I tried vertical mice as well as trackballs.

Vertical mice helped in the short term but the problem returned after a while.

Trackballs were fine, both finger and thumb ones. I ended up feeling fatigue in my fingers and thumb though.

For me, the solution was to switch to a lighter mouse, not grip the mouse so tightly, lower the dpi/sensitivity, and adjust my ergonomics.

I feel like either of the above solutions would have been fine for me if I started with better ergonomics, posture to start.

I worked with a few people who swore by trackballs though, so it really seems to be a personal preference. You might not know you like them until you give it a shot.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Trackballs are also orientation-independent, so if you get one you can just try it at all sorts of angles to see what you like best.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pollyanna posted:

Anyone know how well the Logitech M705 works with USB switches? I want to put the unifying receiver into a USB switch so I can switch between using my mouse on my PC and on my Macbook (when it's plugged into the switch). I've tried to connect the mouse to my MPB via a Caldigit TS3 hub, but it didn't work - I needed to attach it directly via a USB->T3 adapter.

Also, any recommendations for said USB switches? It'd only be for my mouse and keyboard.

Bumping this. Anyone have insight on the matter? Maybe I should upgrade to a Bluetooth mouse or something???

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Bumping this. Anyone have insight on the matter? Maybe I should upgrade to a Bluetooth mouse or something???

I have a TS3+ and used it for awhile but abandoned it due to an issue with multiple displays and my work laptop, a HP Elitebook. When something was plugged into the downstream TB port, the laptop would fail to boot. Caldigit’s response was well we’ll try to fix it but that will require us to acquire one. That said, related to your problem, I also noticed it didn’t behave as expected with wake on USB, like hit a key on the keyboard to wake the laptop though wake on LAN worked well. Docks, can’t live with them can’t live without.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

K8.0 posted:

largely because everyone is running switches at voltages below spec which causes early failure.

Can you expand on this? How would running at a lower voltage damage a switch? At least in this context where its not controlling power flow that'd have to increase amperage to maintain wattage.

Also why would at least wired mice be lowering voltages? I could obviously see a reason for wireless mice but not wired.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Electronaut posted:

I have a TS3+ and used it for awhile but abandoned it due to an issue with multiple displays and my work laptop, a HP Elitebook. When something was plugged into the downstream TB port, the laptop would fail to boot. Caldigit’s response was well we’ll try to fix it but that will require us to acquire one. That said, related to your problem, I also noticed it didn’t behave as expected with wake on USB, like hit a key on the keyboard to wake the laptop though wake on LAN worked well. Docks, can’t live with them can’t live without.

That’s as much as I need to know. gently caress it then, I’ll probably just skip the dock entirely for everything but power.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

That’s as much as I need to know. gently caress it then, I’ll probably just skip the dock entirely for everything but power.

Sorry! Before you abandon ship, try updating the dock's firmware. It did work fine for me with a number of USB devices, just the wake on USB piece never worked. I used it primarily with an Elecom trackball and it's wireless dongle just fine for a while. I still have the dock boxed up, if I remember tonight, I'll pull it out and do a test run, I think I have some Logitech devices that use that wireless dongle. I do also have a Macbook Pro. Worst case, I'd suggest reaching out to Caldigit, they were responsive but I think the Thunderbolt + Windows laptop wasteland of compatibility was the line.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

wolrah posted:

Can you expand on this? How would running at a lower voltage damage a switch? At least in this context where its not controlling power flow that'd have to increase amperage to maintain wattage.

Also why would at least wired mice be lowering voltages? I could obviously see a reason for wireless mice but not wired.

This guy made the best set of arguments anyone has made about why mice are failing. It's not that lowering voltage damages a switch. It would be expected that most failed switches would work fine in their spec voltage range. As switches wear (all physical and electrical actuation causes damage to switches), they become less reliable outside their design parameters. Aggressive debouncing (as is typically found in gaming mice to keep latency down) is also likely a major factor, and there are some other factors as well such as the potentially lower quality if the switches being used etc.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
GPW Superlight announcement today- if you're into paying exorbitant amounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I tried the following setup: Caldigit TS3 + firmware 44.1, a Logitech K400 Plus that uses the Unifying receiver, Macbook Pro macOS 10.15.7. Tried the front USB A port as well as one of the ones on the back of the dock, all of them worked fine for the mouse and keyboard functions of this keyboard. Sorry, I don't have a USB switch on hand.