Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I didn't actually get to watch a lot of Gundam Wing back in the day, but liked the intro.

I think it made an impression because for its time it had a whole new audience who'd never seen anything like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I didn't actually get to watch a lot of Gundam Wing back in the day, but liked the intro.

I think it made an impression because for its time it had a whole new audience who'd never seen anything like it.

It was my first introduction to Gundam and the first anime of any sort that I didn’t just roll my eyes at and walk away from.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Yeah, Gundam Wing looks pretty tame/dumb now, but it was a big deal at the time when Toonami released it. I think it was the first major network to carry the English version of a Gundam series.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNJ4aBoRipg

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Some Goon posted:

I want to watch original Gundam but those gifs have me thinking it's aged poorly.

E: I guess it was a different thread someone was posting original Gundam gifs in, but it was rough.

There’s three movies that cover the original MSG that have a lot of redone animation and way less off model stuff, on top of being generally paced better because OG MSG was kind of a mess as a TV show. You can watch them all free and legally on the gundaminfo channel on youtube.

Just be aware that while they are better than the series in most ways they are still violently 70s.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I think everyone should watch 1979 Gundam in its entirety just to hear the Amuro song like 40 times

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bogus Adventure posted:

Yeah, Gundam Wing looks pretty tame/dumb now, but it was a big deal at the time when Toonami released it. I think it was the first major network to carry the English version of a Gundam series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNJ4aBoRipg

Mighta said before, but a comment had it right; it had cute angsty boys for the girls and giant robot combat for the boys, and also both for various periphery demographics. May not be subtle, but that's sometimes what teens need.

Also can't not read the lyrics as 'Just one thing'.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I think everyone should watch 1979 Gundam in its entirety just to hear the Amuro song like 40 times

More franchises need some random lounge singer just going ham over their giant climactic mutual slaughter moments, it's good poo poo

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's already been mentioned but I need to make another Patlabor appreciation post

special mention to the frankly insane attention to detail in the mechanical animation of Patlabor 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsMTpSDAGxM&t=66s

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

It's already been mentioned but I need to make another Patlabor appreciation post

special mention to the frankly insane attention to detail in the mechanical animation of Patlabor 2

That opening bit in Patlabor 2 is still probably the most impressive animation I've ever seen. It's ridiculous and the movie never stops looking that good on top of it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ghost Leviathan posted:

cute angsty boys

This is what almost killed my love of the giant mech vs. monster genre. Too many whiny kids. Yes I am looking at you Shinji Ikari.

Yes, you have every reason in the world to be a broken young man, just shut the gently caress up about it will you and pilot the goddamn mech made from your dead mother.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Shinji really doesn't even spend much time doing that sort of thing though.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Japanese mecha is basically split between "being a robot pilot kicks rear end" and "being a robot pilot sucks hardcore," even if it doesn't always shout it at you like Eva.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

IronicDongz posted:

Patlabor is the loving best and it is definitely my #1 rec to people in this thread.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

This is what almost killed my love of the giant mech vs. monster genre. Too many whiny kids. Yes I am looking at you Shinji Ikari.

Yes, you have every reason in the world to be a broken young man, just shut the gently caress up about it will you and pilot the goddamn mech made from your dead mother.

Watching NGE when you're 14: shut up shinji

Watching NGE when you're 25: what the gently caress misato get it together, no wonder shinji's all hosed up

IronicDongz posted:

Shinji really doesn't even spend much time doing that sort of thing though.

Doing any of it interferes with the fantasy that being an EVA pilot would be powerful and cool and not a miserable sacrifice due to living in the apocalypse.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Eva's about a bunch of hosed up people, the robots and aliens are just set dressing.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Some Goon posted:

Eva's about a bunch of hosed up people, the robots and aliens are just set dressing.

It's a really great show about literary approaches to attachment disorders.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

It's also an excellent case study in several people somehow interpreting a completely different series of events and character interactions from the same images and sounds

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Still holding onto that torch for Misato, the oldest women in anime at 28.

Also, if you've never seen it, Patlabour has a TV series that is a completely different tone from the movies. They're all serious about politics and Japanese history and stuff, while the TV show is pretty much a 90s anime series with lots of silly stuff, the most notable episode where they go to a bath house and everyone has really obvious black dots over their junk.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

WilWheaton posted:

The mechs planet runners in shattered steel were always my favourite off brand knock-off mechs visually speaking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLuuRP8Ep18

Is there a list of all the mid 90's word for mechs used to avoid FASA trademark violation?

It's funny you say that because Battlemechs were originally called Battledroids. The name was changed to avoid a lawsuit from Lucasfilm.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Here's the old Toonami promo for 08th MS Team, which I think does a pretty good job of selling it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHORiWcYzEY

SolarFire2 fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 22, 2020

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

twistedmentat posted:

Also, if you've never seen it, Patlabour has a TV series that is a completely different tone from the movies. They're all serious about politics and Japanese history and stuff, while the TV show is pretty much a 90s anime series with lots of silly stuff, the most notable episode where they go to a bath house and everyone has really obvious black dots over their junk.

The TV show is probably the most serious politics I've seen from an anime, because drama results from 'zoning restrictions' or my own favorite 'the police department has to get into subsistence fishing due to budget cuts, and they gently caress it up so they have to stall their boss so they don't get caught misusing resources.'

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah every patlabor is pretty loving political, they just have wildly different stakes and layers of comedy draped over their points. Honestly I think the first movie is the only entry in the franchise that isn’t really offering a commentary on something that was in the news cycle when it came out.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

I know it was brought up in the animation thread (I think) but surprised there's no mention of Big O yet?

It's like batman but with mecha. Worth checking out.

"Cast in the name of God, Ye not guilty"

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Linux Pirate posted:

I know it was brought up in the animation thread (I think) but surprised there's no mention of Big O yet?

First page ya knob!!

McSpanky posted:

Gundams, Valkyries, Mechs-- so small.

This thread calls for something... big.

:cool:

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

CainFortea posted:

First page ya knob!!

Jesus! I need to stop day drinking. :cripes:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, Big Mechs weren't quite a thing outside of Power Rangers and Teknoman. And there you have 5+ uniquely customized mechs with bisshie pilots.

Hell, the first ep has Heero telling Raelina that he's going to destroy her. And it's such a wtf moment it leaves a mark.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Just to go back a page...

GD_American posted:

Big horrible war you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9MxWuAdBg0

(Dunno if it's NWS per se, but....uh....it's intense)

I don’t think anyone mentioned it, but if you actually watched Ideon, it’d be worth checking out some version of the original MSG, such as the movie trilogy. Both shows were by Yoshiyuki Tomino, who also did a number of other Gundam works, and Ideon was actually the series he did immediately after the original MSG series ended in 1980. IIRC both also had a lot of the same people behind the character and mecha designs as well.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

A not wholly inaccurate description of Ideon is “Evangelion by the guy who created Gundam.”

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

char aznable did nothing wrong except for the millions of people he killed

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How has this thread gotten this far without someone mentioning GETTER ROBO.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stairmaster posted:

char aznable did nothing wrong except for the millions of people he killed

Their souls were weighed down by gravity

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Taintrunner posted:

Their souls were weighed down by gravity

Their bodies were weighed down by an asteroid

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
My favorite thing to do in Mechwarrior 2 was to take the fastest mech available, rip everything out (including the heat sinks) and see how fast it could go before exploding.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Fsmhunk posted:

How has this thread gotten this far without someone mentioning GETTER ROBO.

Shin Getter is one of my favorite mech designs, if not my absolute favorite. Specifically the manga version though, all the adaptions mess with the design in ways I don't like.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Droyer posted:

Shin Getter is one of my favorite mech designs, if not my absolute favorite. Specifically the manga version though, all the adaptions mess with the design in ways I don't like.

https://youtu.be/nriv_B4W8ag hope you're ready for this.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Sazabi posted:

https://youtu.be/nriv_B4W8ag hope you're ready for this.

This anime probably won't actually feature Shin Getter but yes I am excited for it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Kamille should have been in chars counterattack instead of amuro

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
Thanks for the Patlabor reccs, never expected to be into a mecha anime that is 90% procedural/bureaucracy.

What if mechs, but too many, and they're buggier than a smart fridge?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Grandma Panic! posted:

Thanks for the Patlabor reccs, never expected to be into a mecha anime that is 90% procedural/bureaucracy.

What if mechs, but too many, and they're buggier than a smart fridge?

It's so fuckin good yah

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Patlabor is extremely legit, anyone who digs robots should absolutely watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Psycho Landlord posted:

Patlabor is extremely legit, anyone who digs robots should absolutely watch it.

It's Mamarou Oshii which is pretty much a good sign no matter what. Its funny because the TV series is pretty silly, but the movies are serious as hell.