Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

JagerNinja posted:

It's worth pointing out that the devil wasn't even the devil, and thinking he was misses the point. Yaldabaoth comes from Gnosticism, and is the Demiurge: the god that thinks it's God but isn't actually the supreme being and can only play at the real supreme being's perfection. The Demiurge is sometimes, but not always, assumed to the the God of Abraham; us suckers who worship the Demiurge are either being tricked by a malevolent deity or blind to the truth of reality that lays beyond it. So P5 is very much an "attack and dethrone god" story.

The party is more aligned with the devil, or Satan specifically, in this case.

I used devil because that’s what the person I was responsible to used and didn’t want to get into the finer points of Gnosticism, especially when it’s also the Holy Grail and the bosses from Persona 3 onwards are explicitly anthropomorphic basic human urges that come from the shared human subconscious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Violet_Sky posted:

More FF games should collab with Chrono Trigger/Cross

:hai:

Lyse's starter SB outfit was basically Kid's top, and while I'm at it one of the cloth tiers in SB was called Serge. Gimme Serge's jorts!

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Serge is a type of fabric IRL too.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i just saw the new FFTA2 art Ryoma Ito did for the FFTCG last year and i'm seriously bummed i can't buy it as like a nice poster or something. finding new FFTA/2 art i never knew about is always great but these are all so amazing

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Countblanc posted:

i just saw the new FFTA2 art Ryoma Ito did for the FFTCG last year and i'm seriously bummed i can't buy it as like a nice poster or something. finding new FFTA/2 art i never knew about is always great but these are all so amazing

Can you post it here?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

thetoughestbean posted:

Can you post it here?

sure. like I said having a big print of the piece below or the pop art style character portraits would be amazing.

this one was used as a playmat for top 8 of the 2018 Worlds FFTCG event, and the individual character art was used in special full art cards later.

you can find a brief interview where he talks about creating these pieces here: https://na.finalfantasy.com/topics/35

bonus: he also did a FFXI piece last november which i adore

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Those seem really fun! I’m surprised and disappointed FFT is functionally over as a series, because it seems like people really love it.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I love FFTA2, seeing these drawings makes me so happy

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

That’s amazing!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

jokes posted:

Those seem really fun! I’m surprised and disappointed FFT is functionally over as a series, because it seems like people really love it.

FFT3 on the switch seems like a slam dunk, especially after Three Houses.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i desperately want FFTA3, yes. flesh out Seeq and Gria, maybe add that bird race that showed up in Revenant Wings (though that might make the Gria unique trait of flying a bit less unique). if nothing else because we're in a much more broad world wrt fan creations now thanks to social media and i want to usher in a new age of cute moogle fanart on twitter

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Did anyone here ever try the multiplayer in FFTA? I've always been curious about it, but I've never met another soul with a copy of the game.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
One of my friends and I both got copies of the game around release. Can't recall if we did any missions together (if that was a thing) but we definitely traded some items to help each other out at our respective points in the game.

I recall accidentally gating myself by running out of a certain item that I didn't have an easy source for, and he was able to spot me enough to get through the part where I'd been item-gated. Can't remember which item but it would have been a pain in the rear end without his help.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Countblanc posted:

sure. like I said having a big print of the piece below or the pop art style character portraits would be amazing.

All of these would make outstanding avatars.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm finally having to admit that I don't think I like FFVIII, despite really wanting to. It's not even big problems with anything, it's just a bunch of small problems letting it down. Death by a thousand cuts of minor glitches, confusions and annoyances.

The last straw that made me realize this was that later Laguna seuqences, where you get to choose what characters supply spells to Ward and Kiros, just reset all my GF allocations and I have to try to remember who has everything and where it all goes. And now as an extra screw-you, for the sequence that happens while Edea's in your team she's not even available to supply spells to, so Ward just has to suffer without any spells at all this time.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I'm finally having to admit that I don't think I like FFVIII, despite really wanting to. It's not even big problems with anything, it's just a bunch of small problems letting it down. Death by a thousand cuts of minor glitches, confusions and annoyances.

The last straw that made me realize this was that later Laguna seuqences, where you get to choose what characters supply spells to Ward and Kiros, just reset all my GF allocations and I have to try to remember who has everything and where it all goes. And now as an extra screw-you, for the sequence that happens while Edea's in your team she's not even available to supply spells to, so Ward just has to suffer without any spells at all this time.

I would almost swear that the game never locks you out of magic for active characters in your party, but it's been so long that I wouldn't be sure. I thought it generally just pushed the magic to someone else, but c'est la vie.

it's still one of my favourites. probably second behind IX. it does have its flaws though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's quite a few foibles with the past sections and junctions. You generally get access to everything you should have but IIRC one time it does this (at the start of disc 3 maybe?) with a background party change by unjunctioning everything and trying to cram all your spells into the active characters so if you have a lot of spells, you run out of slots, have your spells scrambled, and your GF builds lost like dust in the wind. Its not a good game but I don't hold that against it.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/NESbot_feed/status/1328056101334560772?s=20

Sin toxin got him

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

He's saying that they're not his posts? He claims to have made a Parler account a few months ago because it was a social media thing and didn't know much more about it otherwise

https://twitter.com/jatactor/status/1328102255820619776

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

He's saying that they're not his posts? He claims to have made a Parler account a few months ago because it was a social media thing and didn't know much more about it otherwise

https://twitter.com/jatactor/status/1328102255820619776

It's because he did the parler equiv of retweeting, so he didn't post about refusing to watch the NFL because of those uppity black people kneeling, but he did RT it.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

zedprime posted:

There's quite a few foibles with the past sections and junctions. You generally get access to everything you should have but IIRC one time it does this (at the start of disc 3 maybe?) with a background party change by unjunctioning everything and trying to cram all your spells into the active characters so if you have a lot of spells, you run out of slots, have your spells scrambled, and your GF builds lost like dust in the wind. Its not a good game but I don't hold that against it.

God forbid a Final Fantasy game doesn't have code that peel apart like a fruit roll-up the second you do something that is vaguely beyond the norm.

Even if it's something otherwise intended.

Hell, especially if it's something intended.

Like, I'm trying to think of what the first Final Fantasy game that didn't have major game-changing glitches and poor design oversights you didn't just run across in a normal playthrough. X? Nothing comes immediately to mind unless you count Yojimbo nonsense, which is something working a little too as intended, not any kind of dumbass coding oversite that got through because Final Fantasy games are playtested by someone's blind grandmother.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Fuligin posted:

FFT3 on the switch seems like a slam dunk, especially after Three Houses.

Project X Zone but with Squeenix properties. Terra/Marle and Lucca/Celes double-techs out the rear end.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mr. Locke posted:

God forbid a Final Fantasy game doesn't have code that peel apart like a fruit roll-up the second you do something that is vaguely beyond the norm.

Even if it's something otherwise intended.

Hell, especially if it's something intended.

Like, I'm trying to think of what the first Final Fantasy game that didn't have major game-changing glitches and poor design oversights you didn't just run across in a normal playthrough. X? Nothing comes immediately to mind unless you count Yojimbo nonsense, which is something working a little too as intended, not any kind of dumbass coding oversite that got through because Final Fantasy games are playtested by someone's blind grandmother.

I feel like IV was largely stable? I might just not know the major ones there. V you could probably get through glitch-free depending on your job allocations, and the only bug you're likely to hit in a blind, normal playthrough of VI is the 'Blind does nothing' glitch, which you might not even notice.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mr. Locke posted:

4 and 5 didn't really have any issues like that.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Space Fish posted:

Project X Zone but with Squeenix properties. Terra/Marle and Lucca/Celes double-techs out the rear end.

Please take my money

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Cleretic posted:

I feel like IV was largely stable? I might just not know the major ones there. V you could probably get through glitch-free depending on your job allocations, and the only bug you're likely to hit in a blind, normal playthrough of VI is the 'Blind does nothing' glitch, which you might not even notice.

I chanced upon Relm's "sketch the wrong monster and break the game" glitch, which activated weird cutscenes and effects. Freaked me the hell out back in the day.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

IV has lots of exploitable glitches, but none you'd run into in an average playthrough that I can think of. I think there's something about stat gains after level 70 being wonky

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, sketch glitch is the easiest one to accidentally get, also you can soft lock the game by landing the airship in the wrong place when taking Mog through the rapids to get his water mambo dance

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Fister Roboto posted:

4 and 5 didn't really have any issues like that.

5 was the perfected FF SNES game, and 4 was close to it. 6 was a victory lap, and you could see systems fall apart so quick in that game.

Was 6 the one where shields just didn’t work or something?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

jokes posted:

5 was the perfected FF SNES game, and 4 was close to it. 6 was a victory lap, and you could see systems fall apart so quick in that game.

Was 6 the one where shields just didn’t work or something?

the evasion stat doesn't work and magic evasion counts for both physical and magical attacks. blind doesn't do a thing in vanilla FF6 except make it so Strago doesn't learn Blue Magic

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Really wish they just swapped assets from FFV, it had all the right calculations and systems (except for the knife calculation needing a re-do).

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

the evasion stat doesn't work and magic evasion counts for both physical and magical attacks.

My favorite part of the Evade bug is how it's "fixed" in VII in that it has the exact same bug except the other way around

The shield thing specifically is from Seiken Densetsu 3/Trials of Mana, where shields add to Evade and adding to Evade doesn't work. Characters have a base Evade value that does work, you just can't ever increase it, so shields do nothing except for the one that makes you immune to status effects. Critical hit doesn't work at all, which also makes the spell that increases your crit rate completely useless. None of this is fixed in the Switch collection, it's just straight emulation

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

jokes posted:

Really wish they just swapped assets from FFV, it had all the right calculations and systems (except for the knife calculation needing a re-do).

The knife bug is weird, because it's actually pretty well balanced around it. Knives would be incredibly overpowered without it. So it was probably intentional.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

IV has lots of exploitable glitches, but none you'd run into in an average playthrough that I can think of. I think there's something about stat gains after level 70 being wonky

Yeah after level 70, stat gains are random, and can even be stat losses if you get unlucky. But there's absolutely no reason to level that high in the first place so it's not a huge deal.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Fister Roboto posted:

The knife bug is weird, because it's actually pretty well balanced around it. Knives would be incredibly overpowered without it. So it was probably intentional.

It's hacked together but definitely gets the job done so that knifes are good, but not better than swords. It seems to only reveal itself if you look directly at the code.

What was the chicken knife's deal? It used the 'original' damage formula which makes it stronger than most swords or something?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
4 a bunch of glitches players will hit without realizing it- backrow in particular fooled a friend of mine thinking the only character who suffered range penalties was Yang because Cecil and Edge are both likely to trigger it naturally at different points in the game. I guess the key point is that most people won't realize when they hit a glitch in 4 since so many of them are the result of flags NOT being reset after doing something, so when you stop doing a thing the game... just forgets you're not doing a thing, but the player remembers and plays around it.

I can't speak much to FF5's SNES release, since I think I did one run of it ever in like 1998, before the GBA release. 6 is a coding dumpster fire on par with the original NES game, tho.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

the evasion stat doesn't work and magic evasion counts for both physical and magical attacks. blind doesn't do a thing in vanilla FF6 except make it so Strago doesn't learn Blue Magic
You can build up certain characters in a way they can evade cure spells.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

4 is interesting in that the glitches are all fairly effortless to trigger, but aren't stuff that you'd encounter naturally.

-You can skip the entire Sealed Cave section of the game by casting Warp at the exact spot, but you have no logical reason to open the menu and do so rather than just walking outside.
-You can dupe weapons and shields effortlessly, fairly easily, but it requires swapping equipment mid-battle which is something that you wouldn't normally do.
-Ditto for the Avenger glitch; the weapon is so much weaker than your endgame stuff that unless you actually know that the game doesn't update stats mid-battle, you wouldn't consider it.
-Magic underflow is easy to pull off once you know how, but the average player probably runs out of MP like once in the entire game.
-The massive game-wrecking staircase glitch can be triggered by simply walking up staircases, but it requires walking up and down one specific staircase 63 times consecutively.
-Post-70 stat gains are a mess, but you'd really need to grind to get that high. Even if you're doing a solo-character challenge (and thereby getting x5 experience the entire time), you're going to hit 71 only right near the end, maybe even after finishing the game (the solo-Rydia LP on the Archive reaches 70 after the final boss).

As far as I can think of, the backrow glitch is really the only one you can trigger by accident...and even that one is partly remedied by (1) the quirky 2/3 formation thing limiting your options and (2) Rosa/Rydia having crummy attack power with staffs and rods even ignoring range penalties.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

jokes posted:

It's hacked together but definitely gets the job done so that knifes are good, but not better than swords. It seems to only reveal itself if you look directly at the code.

What was the chicken knife's deal? It used the 'original' damage formula which makes it stronger than most swords or something?

It's incredibly powerful, probably the strongest weapon in the game, but has a 25% chance to make the party flee automatically (or do nothing if you can't flee). Many abilities bypass the effect though, so you can get the benefits without that drawback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

actually did you guys know the speed of enemies in FF4 are based off of Cecil's speed, so you actually want him to be slower and everyone else faster