Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I have to bring up the Airspeed-equipped backpacks for Osprey. They have a trampoline that lets air flow through and straps with gaps. The added padding is nice when you go OTB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Bottom Liner posted:

I've tried a variety of hip packs and at least in hot and humid environments they are the absolute worst.

the absolute worst compared to what? they keep you much cooler than a backpack, that's one of the main selling points

ironlung fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 13, 2020

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

XIII posted:

lol deong was just saying this same thing the other day before realizing he was essentially describing a backpack

Nah suspenders still lets you get all the airflow, but I'm sure if it was a really good solution it'd be more common. I may just be destined to be a backpack goober.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

DeesGrandpa posted:

Nah suspenders still lets you get all the airflow, but I'm sure if it was a really good solution it'd be more common. I may just be destined to be a backpack goober.

I knew ski patrollers that did suspenders for their fanny packs (that’s the real name let’s be honest) and they liked it. I tried out the Patagonia fanny pack and just found it way too tight/bouncy when really loaded with water. Typically I do rides that I can do with a bottle and no pack, or I want 3L. You just can’t carry that much weight on a fanny pack.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

DeesGrandpa posted:

https://henty.cc/shop/enduro-backpack/?setreg=ca

I know a guy who swears by his, but it seems a little close to a backpack for me to shell out the $160 CAD. It does look nicely built.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i have one of these https://ritcheydesign.com/collections/specials/products/jandd-x-ritchey-up-cycled-banner-small-hip-pack

it's every bit as dorky as it looks

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Managed to crash ~100 metres into a ride yesterday, on a green, doing nothing in particular. I was putting in a couple of pedal strokes before hitting a drop, clipped a pedal on a tiny rock in the trail surface and next thing I knew I was horizontal and heading towards the ground. I'm still puzzled about the mechanics of the crash, because I was definitely airborne, and a good 5 metres away from the drop. Picked myself up, rinsed out the graze on my arm and got back on the bike, did another 10km descending, hitting jumps and making some progression with my skills, then 10km climbing. The whole climb I was thinking I felt a little tight in the chest, and when I laid down at home I struggled to get back up. Turns out I'd shattered two ribs in a hilarious nothing crash :(

Am I the only one who crashes on boring mundane poo poo while keeping it together for the actual dangerous stuff?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

There's two points at which I eat dirt: when I'm trying too hard or getting complacent on easy stuff. Same when I ski.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I crash mostly on the easy stuff/being dumb. Last few times:
- was faffing about with my left foot not being clipped in properly, going slow kinda missed a turn, overreacted with steering and slid off the pedals and landed awkwardly, hit my shin on the pedal
- wanted to stop on the side to let some fast dudes pass, couldn't get on the berm properly, fell over
- hit my bars on a fence at the end of a trail section, fell over
- went very slowly over a kinda loose piece of fallen tree, too slow, came to a stop on my bottom bracket, clipped out on the wrong side, fell over

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

My worst crashes are on dumb poo poo. Clipped a tree with the bars last week and got pretty rashed up.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

My hardest fall of 2020 was on this tiny little single track trail maybe 100 yards long right by my house that I ride nearly every day on the way to the real trails. It's seriously a 15-20 second pedal from my front door. We had some recent rain after a long dry spell and I was all horned up for some tacky dirt. Some wet grass had laid over the dirt trail on a mellow right hand turn and I lost traction and slammed my shoulder into the ground. This was probably three months ago and I still feel like John McCain when I try to raise my right arm above my head.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SwissDonkey posted:

Managed to crash ~100 metres into a ride yesterday, on a green, doing nothing in particular. I was putting in a couple of pedal strokes before hitting a drop, clipped a pedal on a tiny rock in the trail surface and next thing I knew I was horizontal and heading towards the ground. I'm still puzzled about the mechanics of the crash, because I was definitely airborne, and a good 5 metres away from the drop. Picked myself up, rinsed out the graze on my arm and got back on the bike, did another 10km descending, hitting jumps and making some progression with my skills, then 10km climbing. The whole climb I was thinking I felt a little tight in the chest, and when I laid down at home I struggled to get back up. Turns out I'd shattered two ribs in a hilarious nothing crash :(

Am I the only one who crashes on boring mundane poo poo while keeping it together for the actual dangerous stuff?

Yeah that GIF I posted earlier of my season ending crash was essentially me not paying attention to what I was doing because I was trying to see into the dark wooded section that was coming up. Whoops!

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

My hardest fall was on a green trail at winter park when I feel in a corner. I broke two fingers, one that still hurts now and then.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I'm still healing from my OTB on a jump a month ago. Right clavicle was bolted together has been ok'd as of friday(3 weeks since surgery) but left wrist and right ring finger are still fucko'd and look like they need surgery now. :(

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
My cracked ribs are pretty much healed, thank you very much. I'm glad the weather has been lovely, gives me less opportunity to go injure myself again!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I feel like I came real close to crashing today on a trail I ride a lot, just got a bit aggressive kinda shifting the bike for a slight turn, felt the front tire bounce off something and be free in clear in the air and then the side knobs caught it when it came down
If it had slid I’d have hit the ground pretty hard and fast
Probably should tone it down a tad on dumb stuff

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Now that it's getting dark super early, I need to pull the trigger on a light system. I plan on riding some fairly technical single track and fire roads in the dark for maybe 1-2 hours a few days per week.

I've been looking at getting the Nitreider 1200 for the bars and the 850 for the helmet.

What is everyone using and what's the best mount for a helmet? Is this enough light to ensure that I don't die alone in the middle of the woods?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

marsisol posted:

Now that it's getting dark super early, I need to pull the trigger on a light system. I plan on riding some fairly technical single track and fire roads in the dark for maybe 1-2 hours a few days per week.

I've been looking at getting the Nitreider 1200 for the bars and the 850 for the helmet.

What is everyone using and what's the best mount for a helmet? Is this enough light to ensure that I don't die alone in the middle of the woods?

I use a couple Cygolite lights. an 1100 on the bars, 550 on my helmet. I turn the brightness down on the climbing to save battery.

GMBN Tech had a video about this just a bit ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtO__q1coek

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I have a light and motion taz 1200 for the bars, and then a cheap knockoff light on my helmet with an external battery pack. The taz is pretty good as it has a wide beam pattern, and is really bright, and claims to last 6 hours on low. It has a race mode that switches between high and medium instead of cycling through all the options, but that would be better if it went from high to low instead. I thought that's what it did and then had my light die on the way home the last time i was out. I also bring a spare light.

Overall it's a pretty good setup and I was out for 3.5 hours the last time.

One issue I had with my other light and motion, an urban 500, is the usb connector broke off when i went to charge it, and it was only a few months old. They sent me a new one right away but still I'd probably only plugged it in like a dozen times at that point.

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 16, 2020

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nocheez posted:

My cracked ribs are pretty much healed, thank you very much. I'm glad the weather has been lovely, gives me less opportunity to go injure myself again!

Boogalo posted:

I'm still healing from my OTB on a jump a month ago. Right clavicle was bolted together has been ok'd as of friday(3 weeks since surgery) but left wrist and right ring finger are still fucko'd and look like they need surgery now. :(

Ropes4u posted:

My hardest fall was on a green trail at winter park when I feel in a corner. I broke two fingers, one that still hurts now and then.

This is why it's been all flow trails for me since 'rona started. I aint stepping foot in a med facility unless you loving make me.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I've been in a med facility pretty much every week for years and I'm not sick, you should do some steep tech stuff!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I said I cracked ribs, not that I sought any professional medical help. What do I look like, an e-biker?

this sport will probably kill me but it'll be with a smile on my face until nearly the end

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

This is why it's been all flow trails for me since 'rona started. I aint stepping foot in a med facility unless you loving make me.

I have a heart condition and am doing all I can to avoid the coronavirus, so I skipped the hospital.

Edit: all I can reasonably do...

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

evil_bunnY posted:

Most injuries that happen at bike parks are usually on the blue flow trails!

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

n8r posted:

I knew ski patrollers that did suspenders for their fanny packs (that’s the real name let’s be honest) and they liked it. I tried out the Patagonia fanny pack and just found it way too tight/bouncy when really loaded with water. Typically I do rides that I can do with a bottle and no pack, or I want 3L. You just can’t carry that much weight on a fanny pack.

Yeah fanny packs work best with 1.5l or less I find. Bulking them up with big loads doesn't work well. I'd say I get half a day or a big more out if one before I need to refill. Pairing with a bottle in the frame is the way to go to get more.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Getting in those night moves....

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I thought that was a log above your bike reflecting the flash back at the camera. Nice.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Taken a few minutes after my riding buddy went OTB off this drop. When someone declines to get video of them doing something stupid, record anyway. We were both regretting not getting the wreck on video. He was going so slow that I thought he was doing a practice run on it. Then he nose-dived and did a somersault, still attached to his bike and his rear wheel hit him in the face. This drop is much bigger than it looks.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Could have been your time to be on Friday Fails!

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

me your dad posted:

Taken a few minutes after my riding buddy went OTB off this drop. When someone declines to get video of them doing something stupid, record anyway. We were both regretting not getting the wreck on video. He was going so slow that I thought he was doing a practice run on it. Then he nose-dived and did a somersault, still attached to his bike and his rear wheel hit him in the face. This drop is much bigger than it looks.

Is that on the Black line at Fountainhead?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Bud Manstrong posted:

Is that on the Black line at Fountainhead?

Good eye. It is indeed. It's the second of the three drops if I recall correct. It was my third time out on the black loop. Normally I just do blue and green. It's a good challenge. Those uphill rock gardens are mean. Strava recorded 12.5 miles for all three loops.

Someone else later that day apparently dislocated a shoulder on the black loop.

Where do you ride often? I live a few minutes by bike to Accotink so I'm there most of the time.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 24, 2020

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

me your dad posted:

Good eye. It is indeed. It's the second of the three drops if I recall correct. It was my third time out on the black loop. Normally I just do blue and green. It's a good challenge. Those uphill rock gardens are mean. Strava recorded 12.5 miles for all three loops.

Someone else later that day apparently dislocated a shoulder on the black loop.

Where do you ride often? I live a few minutes by bike to Accotink so I'm there most of the time.

I don’t live there, but I rode there maybe five years ago and I remember doing either that drop or one of the others on that loop. The whole trail system was a lot of fun, especially for how close it is to DC. I rode Wakefield and Accotink when I visited the next year. I remember Accotink being fun, but I don’t remember any specific features or trails.

The best riding I did out there was the stuff around Stokesville. I’d love to ride out there again some time. Hopefully I can get an East Coast trip in next year post-COVID.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
How do y'all deal with riding in the rain and muddy conditions? I recently moved back to the Pacific Northwest and I'm itchin to get out but its rained 15 of the last 18 days.

casque
Mar 17, 2009

yoohoo posted:

How do y'all deal with riding in the rain and muddy conditions? I recently moved back to the Pacific Northwest and I'm itchin to get out but its rained 15 of the last 18 days.

I took up skiing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

yoohoo posted:

Generally you want to make sure you have at least some kind of small plastic fender for the front wheel so you don't get blinded. I basically don't ride in the rain, my bikes live in my apartment.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Front fender, softer setup, less tire pressure, ride rocky trails that drain well, don't ride muddy soupy trails or ones that are closed for the season.

Slow down and slide it out, riding in the wet is a loving barrel of fun.

Get glasses or goggles if you don't already ride with them.

e fore more details:

The little ground keeper fender blocks the muck your tire throws in front of you and gets on your face but it doesn't keep the bike clean. I keep one on the bike year round but might get a more substantial fender front and rear this year. Bring extra gloves for long rides, if it shuttles or easy to get to the car between laps I'll sometimes bring extra socks and goggles and swap at some point.

Get good pants. I have the TLD Sprint ULTRA MEGA pants and love them for PNW winter riding. They aren't waterproof but keep mud off my legs and add a lot of warmth without being too hot for long rides or lots of climbing, lots of stretch but more substantial than tights.

Traction is going to be low so embrace it and have fun with breaking loose and sliding around. If you ride like its dry and sticky you will crash, but it s great to ride on the edge of traction while going slower. Rocks and roots will be different than the dirt but not necessarily slippery depending on the type. Rough rock can have the best grip even when other rock is real greasy.

meowmeowmeowmeow fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 24, 2020

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

yoohoo posted:

Once the winter monsoon hits in NC I just sit on my rear end and play video games and drink. Then I ride it off again in the early spring.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

yoohoo posted:

It's a commitment getting out there for sure. Good water resistant riding clothing is expensive but goes a loooong way to enjoyment. Also, everything in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grRqmb5hktA

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Those are all good tips in that video, but lol I wish my trails looked that dry in the wet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dumbdog
Sep 13, 2011
Get the grippiest winter tyres you can. Something like a magic mary ultra soft. Summer tyres are terrible in winter.