Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The tier lists in this game are especially dumb, because they're written from a standard RPG gacha perspective and this game is, at best, barely an RPG. Its like trying to rank Dante vs Bayonetta, or making your Street Fighter tierlist based on how much DPS Chun-Li does without concern to her moveset and framedata. I remember the same thing happening when MHW came out and all the weirdo MMO streamers started making videos for that game with no previous monhan experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The demand for tier lists is very high because you have to invest so much into each character. You're going to be fighting an uphill battle with Kaeya main DPS vs Razor main DPS so I'm sympathetic to them. Like if people didn't discuss the metagame at all nobody would know about Crescent Pike Xiangling. It's fine making and using tier lists (especially tier lists by role) if you go to the effort of understanding why each character is where they are.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
Also the game isn't Pvp so it's not like theres matchups between characters or psychological aspects, it can easily come down to raw DPS, utility and healing

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012

Quetzadilla posted:

Abyss 7-1 has drained my will to live.

I literally went to floor 11 after clearing 7 because it was that much of a learning curve.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

TV Zombie posted:

I just got a Beidou and all I could think of was that I wanted a wind character. I already have Razor, Lisa, Fischl and my protagonist is already a geo.

You can now get the Fantastic Four secret achievement though. 10 primogems! Cha-ching!

(Complete a domain with four characters of the same element type)

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Batigh posted:

Hey, y'all, anyone have advice for dodging the Oceanid's water bombs? I-framing through them with bursts prevents the damage just fine, but it doesn't seem to count as 'not getting hit' for the new achievement.

The water bombs have a very thin ground level vertical hitbox, so you can jump over the blast wave, or jump/plunge attack into the water so you're underneath it. Getting the timing right for either of these is pretty hard though. You can also use the dash iframe (easiest to do if you dash directly into the wave) although I'm not 100% sure whether or not that will count for the achievement since the burst iframes don't seem to.

The cheater easymode way is to have venti and use his hold skill to just float in the air.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bland posted:

It's very generous of you to assume they're obsessed with Keqing for gameplay reasons.

He specifically mentions not wanting to level up weapons/artifacts for "some C-tier unit," so he's probably unwilling to invest in any 4* or something.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I dunno if I agree with this.

There are plenty of level 72 mobs running around that give enough of a pain in the rear end when you are 70.

Those extra levels really do help.

a 2 level deficit shouldn't be giving you that much trouble unless you're behind in other areas like artifacts or talents, which then would be your priority for investment instead of levels. most of my combat in that WL was just using a C1 Razor superconductor team with 4* weapons so it's not like i was throwing ridiculous 5* stuff at it either.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Mailer posted:

It does kind of feel like a character everyone but me has. I guess if I'd started a month earlier I could just buy him, but meh. Given who has appeared so far I'm praying and saving for a Xiao/Bennet banner in January.

I think pulling a 5* can get you starglitter, so you might get supply bonuses at unexpected times. Pulling Skyward Harp this morning got me 10x, so now I just need a single 4* dupe to have enough glitter for Bennett. Makes up for loving up and spending 15-20 glitter on fates in October. Bad, bad move.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Is there any data on drop rates? I am mainly wondering if higher level mobs have better drops within the same world level eg. a 68 hilichurl being more likely to drop a blue than a 61.

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

On my jump from WL3 to 5 I just made sure my main dps (razor) had levels and a ascended leveled weapon. Did some artifact boosting too to give him more Atk%.

To me leveling weapons/artifacts are a bit nicer than sinking too much into characters cause the weapons/artis can get swapped around (or fed to better things)

I know I'm having a decent enough time just bopping around the world and doing the story so I'm not worrying myself about a super deep abyss team. Maybe later. Oceanid can still gently caress right off tho.

fabiopenz
Jun 22, 2015

Tae posted:

Early Tier lists are bad, but most people playing genshin are new to gacha and dont' know this universal rule.

FTFY

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It's especially pointless in this game anyways given the difficulty is very low and even in Abyss which is the current top end content people have taken only freebie basic bitches and cleared.

Who has done that?

Tier lists are good because it gives people a quick reference for the current understanding of who is good or not. This is important in a game based around investing resources.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

No Wave posted:

It's fine making and using tier lists (especially tier lists by role) if you go to the effort of understanding why each character is where they are.

If you already know that, then there's no point in you reading lists. :v:

This game in particular would require a mountain of conditionals to define anyone. Unless you're turbowhaling you don't get to pick your team anyway. The guy running a Chongyun carry thinks XQ is S tier and my XQ is covered in dust. I'm sure for a lot of people Fischl is warming the bench but I was super stoked to pull her.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Pain of Mind posted:

Is there any data on drop rates? I am mainly wondering if higher level mobs have better drops within the same world level eg. a 68 hilichurl being more likely to drop a blue than a 61.

for ascension mats there's definitely a cutoff at 60: 60 and above will get you stuff like 3* arrowheads and 4* knives

for artifacts I think it's actually based on region: at WL4 I was getting 4* artifacts from minibosses in Liyue but only 3* artifacts from Monstadt. At WL5 I can get 4* artifacts from both, but Liyue still seems to give more 4*s. The odds for an artifact to drop from a miniboss don't change much though, it looks to me like it's around 10%

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 16, 2020

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Oh hey, new thread title! And the answer to it is that the word that was translated as "Allogene" (that is, Vision-bearer) in English is Genshin (原神) in Japanese. (It means something like Fundamental Divinity or Fundamental Spirit).

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CJ posted:

Who has done that?

Tier lists are good because it gives people a quick reference for the current understanding of who is good or not. This is important in a game based around investing resources.
Except the real answer to that question in this game is "almost everyone can be made to be good", at least by the current standard of high end content which is abyss. The tier lists would be fine if they werent largely fantasies

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Lisa is bad. Lots of players cannot evaluate why (and it takes dozens of hours to know why exactly Lisa is bad, ie, her scaling is bad and her E is not good for generating reactions). How can they know to avoid investing resources in her if they do want to clear the hardest content in the game at some point?

Somehow this entire thread all knew to invest in Fishl and Crescent Pike Xiangling, is everyone here guilty of metagaming as well? In any game you have an easier time with a party of at least average strength because that's what gets designed around. You'll notice that tier lists for Genshin are exceptionally generous with half of the characters in the game being A or S tier.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

but from the basis of "everyone can be good" it's still important to have some indication of how much work it actually takes to make x character good, because they are far from equal in that regard. i'm not going to pretend every tierlist is made from this pov, but it just so happens even something dumb like the genshin.gg one falls along that basic line of how the high-tier characters are powerful/useful with less investment than your Ambers and Lisas

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I identified Lisa is bad when I stumbled like an idiot through her introduction dungeon and could barely fight off slimes when the game asked me to.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Interested in some team building / rolling advice

Current team I'm using is Xiangling (c1, DPS with crescent pike), Bennett c0, Xingqiu c0, and Anemo MC. I feel like I'm doing okay so far at AR33 but am not very far in to the spiral abyss (haven't cleared floor 4 yet)

Other characters I have are Noelle c0, Ningguang c1, Kaeya c1 plus the free Barbara c1.

I still have ~7500 primogems to roll but I don't even know what I should be shooting for. My plan is to swap out Anemo MC for Fischl when I get her during the event. Aside from that, I'm not sure what characters in this banner or the next banner would help or make a better team for me. I have enough primos to hit pity but I'm not sure if either Tartaglia or Zhongli would be good for me. So if anyone has team building advice I'm interested!

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Flavahbeast posted:

for ascension mats there's definitely a cutoff at 60: 60 and above will get you stuff like 3* arrowheads and 4* knives

for artifacts I think it's actually based on region: at WL4 I was getting 4* artifacts from minibosses in Liyue but only 3* artifacts from Monstadt. At WL5 I can get 4* artifacts from both, but Liyue still seems to give more 4*s. The odds for an artifact to drop from a miniboss don't change much though, it looks to me like it's around 10%

I knew about the cutoff at 60, I was just wondering if the % chance at a higher level drop increased based on level. I find I preferentially kill groups of mobs that are 65+ over 60-64 when I run by, but I don't know if there is any reason for that. For artifact drops do you mean the ones that cost resin, or just the big hilichurl types? For the former I have not noticed a difference based on region.

Also, Sunday is nice because you barely need to play, can either quickly burn resin on weekly bosses if you saved them or just make condensed resin for later.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

ThePineapple posted:

Interested in some team building / rolling advice

Current team I'm using is Xiangling (c1, DPS with crescent pike), Bennett c0, Xingqiu c0, and Anemo MC. I feel like I'm doing okay so far at AR33 but am not very far in to the spiral abyss (haven't cleared floor 4 yet)

Other characters I have are Noelle c0, Ningguang c1, Kaeya c1 plus the free Barbara c1.

I still have ~7500 primogems to roll but I don't even know what I should be shooting for. My plan is to swap out Anemo MC for Fischl when I get her during the event. Aside from that, I'm not sure what characters in this banner or the next banner would help or make a better team for me. I have enough primos to hit pity but I'm not sure if either Tartaglia or Zhongli would be good for me. So if anyone has team building advice I'm interested!
Tartaglia + Bennett has been very good for me so far. He can pair well with Fishl too. If you don't like how he plays don't roll for him ofc, he's a pretty weird character, but from what I've seen the next few upcoming characters are oddballs as well.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 16, 2020

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

hit button posted:

The water bombs have a very thin ground level vertical hitbox, so you can jump over the blast wave, or jump/plunge attack into the water so you're underneath it. Getting the timing right for either of these is pretty hard though. You can also use the dash iframe (easiest to do if you dash directly into the wave) although I'm not 100% sure whether or not that will count for the achievement since the burst iframes don't seem to.

The cheater easymode way is to have venti and use his hold skill to just float in the air.

Venti cheese worked perfectly, many thanks!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

No Wave posted:

Somehow this entire thread all knew to invest in Fishl and Crescent Pike Xiangling, is everyone here guilty of metagaming as well? In any game you have an easier time with a party of at least average strength because that's what gets designed around. You'll notice that tier lists for Genshin are exceptionally generous with half of the characters in the game being A or S tier.
Crescent Pike isnt exactly secret knowledge, its one of two free spears you can craft and if you read the descriptions of the two its pretty obvious which one to pick for Xiangling. Fischl also, is readily apparent why she's good if you just look at her and read what she does. If that's what you hold up as the complex meta of this game, then plenty of people accidentally stumbled into being Incredibly Meta without consulting any outside information (myself included that uses crescent pike Xiangling and Fischl exclusively)

Anyway I never said never look at tierlists or any other information on this game, but they are so far removed from the reality of playing it that you'd be crazy to live or die based on what you read in them, like that Keqing obsessed weirdo that started this whole conversation.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

That dude did not want Keqing because of meta...

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

CJ posted:

Who has done that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCmN_xza_Hs

Here's one example of someone doing an in-depth overview of their team for Floor 7 as well as the actual clear. The only wild card here is Bennett, because the Beginner Banner will spit out Noelle and one other random 4* for you. Everyone else he shows is given to you for free. Xiangling comes from clearing Floor 3 of the Abyss which is very low difficulty and Barbara is given to you for free at AR18.

You'll also notice that Amber, Noelle, Kaeya, and Bennett are all below level 20 in this video too.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Zhongli is weeks away just pull now if you've haven't blown your leveling stash.

It is kinda weird that Childe's story mission isn't till a40 but its likely people pull him much earlier if they are starting. He plays uniquely and maybe that isn't great for everyone but if you pull him I'm sure you can get used to it!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

No Wave posted:

That dude did not want Keqing because of meta...
If he was horny for her he'd have whaled, horny beats meta every time

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

YoshiOfYellow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCmN_xza_Hs

Here's one example of someone doing an in-depth overview of their team for Floor 7 as well as the actual clear. The only wild card here is Bennett, because the Beginner Banner will spit out Noelle and one other random 4* for you. Everyone else he shows is given to you for free. Xiangling comes from clearing Floor 3 of the Abyss which is very low difficulty and Barbara is given to you for free at AR18.

You'll also notice that Amber, Noelle, Kaeya, and Bennett are all below level 20 in this video too.
This guy has spent the last two weeks trying to beat floor 12 (you can see his most recent video for details). People who own Diluc and Klee beat it in a few hours. His youtube videos might make you think characters don't matter, but his stream teaches you the exact opposite.

He should have no problem clearing it at AR50 though, that much is true.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

kater posted:

Zhongli is weeks away just pull now if you've haven't blown your leveling stash.

This is poor impulse control and bad advice. If you're not whaling a lot, you will have to pick and choose which 5*s you want, you will not be able to get to pity (and especially not double-pity) on all of them. Waiting a couple of weeks or even months for the banner you want is the smart thing to do.

Primogens don't expire, you'll end up with the exact same number of 4* and 5* rolls no matter when you use them. So use them on what you want the most, not what's available at the moment because you're bored.

If a banner appears and you don't have primogems saved up, you will have to spend over $300 to guarantee the 5* character from that banner. If that doesn't sound like your jam, then save up for the banners you want.

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 16, 2020

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

the keqing guy absolutely started playing the game, discovered his waifu later, and then sunk cost prevented him from rerolling. he then thought "surely she'll have a rate-up eventually" and now hes unable to play the game. theres an additional sunk cost of "im gonna wait on that banner" that is preventing him from investing in units that would allow him to level up and earn more currency to roll on that fated rate-up and also to generate more mats so he could max her out instantly by the time it came.

tl;dr human psychology is really cruel

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think double pity is crazy. Building up 22k primogems is an insane amount, it means you're planning on rolling on a banner and collecting ridiculous amounts of constellations for 4*s you don't even know you'll want. Imo it's better to plan for single pity and be happy if you get off-rate (because the off-rate 5*s are all kind of amazing), especially for the first few months you're playing so you can build up a roster that can handle weird abyss situations.

I'm planning on putting 30-50 rolls on each banner so I can choose which of the two 5*s to roll for in each banner cycle by timing my pity. This actually lines up very well with the total amount of primos you get with Welkin+BP.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 16, 2020

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Ashenai posted:

Oh hey, new thread title! And the answer to it is that the word that was translated as "Allogene" (that is, Vision-bearer) in English is Genshin (原神) in Japanese. (It means something like Fundamental Divinity or Fundamental Spirit).

Not Japanese, so take this with a grain of salt, but the connotations of the prefix 原 also seem to center around the idea of the thing attached to it being the primitive, unrefined form of something else. One of the possible meanings my dictionary lists for it is "raw", for instance, but it's raw in the sense of something unprocessed, not something fresh and alive—raw cotton (原綿), raw materials (原料), crude oil (原油). I think this matches up with what we've been told about Vision bearers having the potential to enter Celestia—they're the unrefined, "rough" forms of gods, like uncut gemstones or unspun wool.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Yeah if you're not whaling you can't really guarantee any particular 5*, 180 rolls is just not a reasonable amount to save up. But you can at least make sure you hit pity on banners you want.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009

No Wave posted:

Tartaglia + Bennett has been very good for me so far. He can pair well with Fishl too. If you don't like how he plays don't roll for him ofc, he's a pretty weird character, but from what I've seen the next few upcoming characters are oddballs as well.

I suppose I should do his trial thing then, but from what I read Tartaglia is hit or miss. Agree that the next banner also seems weird though, although maybe Zhongli would pair well with Ningguang? I don't even know if Zhongli is supposed to be a carry.

I know at some point I'll have to set up two teams for the abyss so maybe it's worth trying to find / invest in a second carry?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

homeless snail posted:

If he was horny for her he'd have whaled, horny beats meta every time

unless you reroll repeatedly until you get her, pulling even a c0 Keqing costs an average of $1856.25. Also, rolling is actually more expensive in a lot of lower income countries

long story short, you'll want to set aside about 3 months salary if you earn an average wage in Brazil or Russia and you want to whale for a C0 Keqing

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
As my Childe is underleveled, I used him for the most appropriate quest I could think of as Barbara was out hunting boar.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Flavahbeast posted:

unless you reroll repeatedly until you get her, pulling even a c0 Keqing costs an average of $1856.25. Also, rolling is actually more expensive in a lot of lower income countries

long story short, you'll want to set aside about 3 months salary if you earn an average wage in Brazil or Russia and you want to whale for a C0 Keqing

Even in Canada we get screwed a bit on the exchange. Biggest pack is 139.99 and CAD to USD is ~0.76.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

ThePineapple posted:

I suppose I should do his trial thing then, but from what I read Tartaglia is hit or miss. Agree that the next banner also seems weird though, although maybe Zhongli would pair well with Ningguang? I don't even know if Zhongli is supposed to be a carry.

I know at some point I'll have to set up two teams for the abyss so maybe it's worth trying to find / invest in a second carry?
He'd have to pair better with Ninguang than anyone else.... so far it seems like Zhong Li's best use is spamming his (40 energy!) ult.

Deciding on a second carry was definitely the hardest decision in the game for me. Razor is on rate up next banner (allegedly) so that could be another option - if I didn't own Keqing I'd be using him for sure.