Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

That was faster than expected but it feels right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

There's a tiny bit of hub-bub on twitter because someone in Tokyo recently registered a domain for chainsawman.dog which is absolutely amazing if that's gonna be the website for an anime adaptation.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Kobeni is surprisingly quiet this chapter. The simplest way for her to live is to not be involve

Though that would be pretty strange, considering that her whole gimmick has been getting dragged back into the story every time she tries to get out

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Robviously posted:

There's a tiny bit of hub-bub on twitter because someone in Tokyo recently registered a domain for chainsawman.dog which is absolutely amazing if that's gonna be the website for an anime adaptation.

Also copyrights for like games, anime, etc

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Ethiser posted:

I'm half expecting this to end with Kobeni running over all of Makima's crew with her car, except her car is now an X-wing for some reason.

I would loving love if she does this and is like "Denji you loving dumbass! Kishibe won't let me back in the bunker until I get you!"

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I adore Denji. He's the best.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

I adore Denji. He's the best.

He's decided he wants everything and he knows he can't (and shouldn't!) get it. It's a pretty mature attitude from someone loudly yelling that he wants a ton of sex. (And it contrasts with Makima trying to create a 'perfect' world.)

Also, thinking about it... Quanxi's kind of a parallel to Denji, isn't she? Four girlfriends, tons of sex, good food every day. She's living the life Denji wants, embracing the ignorance that defined his role in the world. It's even implied that she used to have a thing for Makima, before she noped out on finding what Makima really was.

And in the end, that ignorance didn't do her any good. She wound up back on the same leash as Denji. Meanwhile (ironically enough, as I've said before, in large part thanks to Makima) Denji's kept learning things he doesn't want to know, doing things that he doesn't like, and generally growing as a person through hardship.

I'm pretty sure it's not a coincidence that taking Quanxi's advice to heart is the decision that set Denji up for his biggest fall.

Edit: Just saw someone mention that Makima looks uncomfortable about fighting Denji. She kicked this fight off smug as she gets (which is pretty drat smug) when she thought this was another round with Poochita, but Denji comes in?

She's shocked, she's disgruntled, she's completely off her game.

I've seen that written off with her just being angry at Denji existing, that she feels nothing for him but disdain... but she answered his question. And the pause in it says she put some thought into it.

I don't think Makima's been able to mentally write off Denji as thoroughly as she wanted to.

...Actually, that brings to mind an idle theory I've been tossing together, just to see if it fits.

I think, or at least, I'm toying with the idea that Makima wasn't just faking liking Denji or just being sincere. She was basically hedging her bet.

Denji was someone that Chainsaw Man himself had deemed worthy. Sure, he was also a stupid, horny, uneducated teenager, but there was something there. It was Denji who defied her orders in the first chapters, after all, not Poochita. It was Denji she shared the movie date with. And she called to Denji for help against Santa Clause, the one and only time we've seen her actually in trouble.

The whole time, she was setting things up to rip him apart and kill him so she could have her idol kill her or kill for her, but she was allowing for the possibility that maybe, just maybe, Denji was someone worth keeping around on his own.

When Denji asked to be her dog, she even seems a little surprised at first. But that locks things up. Denji's not an equal. He's not someone even the Hero of Hell would have to respect. Hell, he's not even on Kishibe's level. (I sort of suspect Makima likes Kishibe more than she likes most people. Mad dog's got more slack in the leash than you'd expect from someone who's put so much time into killing her.) He's just another human, like you can find by the thousand on any busy street. He's nothing but an obstacle in the way of getting to the Chainsaw, the part that really matters.

...And now Denji's back. He's done the impossible, and that's incredibly disconcerting, since Makima already bet everything on him being a writeoff. If Denji's important, if there's a way this ends other than her controlling Chainsaw or Chainsaw eating her, then the whole centerpiece of her life just exploded. And that's the kind of thing that you don't really like thinking about.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 16, 2020

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
chainsaw man stage presentation at jump festa

that's an anime announcement for sure

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Blockhouse posted:

chainsaw man stage presentation at jump festa

that's an anime announcement for sure

Pls for the love of god, if it gets an anime, give it a slapper OP and a studio that does the content justice. I dont need the worlds best animation but it needs to have STYLE.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Little thing that threw me off with this chapter is the gauntlet garbed fist in the end.

Denji has the upgraded arms in his hybrid form now. Dunno what change that implies though.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Chainsaw Man deserves a Maximum the Hormone OP.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I don't hold out much hope for a Chainsaw Man anime- it reeks of something that'll get subpar CG.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Has any Shonen Jump series been made with bad CG? Every recent Shonen Jump based anime has been decent to great as far as a remember so I don’t know why Chainsaw Man would be any different.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Ethiser posted:

Has any Shonen Jump series been made with bad CG? Every recent Shonen Jump based anime has been decent to great as far as a remember so I don’t know why Chainsaw Man would be any different.

I’d say Black Clover is worse than decent but that’s because of Studio Pierrot not cg

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I'm not expecting them to go get Shaft or Trigger involved but even if, say, Madhouse does it, it needs to be stylish and just have the best soundtrack. That's all I'm hoping for.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

He's decided he wants everything and he knows he can't (and shouldn't!) get it. It's a pretty mature attitude from someone loudly yelling that he wants a ton of sex. (And it contrasts with Makima trying to create a 'perfect' world.)

Also, thinking about it... Quanxi's kind of a parallel to Denji, isn't she? Four girlfriends, tons of sex, good food every day. She's living the life Denji wants, embracing the ignorance that defined his role in the world. It's even implied that she used to have a thing for Makima, before she noped out on finding what Makima really was.

And in the end, that ignorance didn't do her any good. She wound up back on the same leash as Denji. Meanwhile (ironically enough, as I've said before, in large part thanks to Makima) Denji's kept learning things he doesn't want to know, doing things that he doesn't like, and generally growing as a person through hardship.

I'm pretty sure it's not a coincidence that taking Quanxi's advice to heart is the decision that set Denji up for his biggest fall.

Edit: Just saw someone mention that Makima looks uncomfortable about fighting Denji. She kicked this fight off smug as she gets (which is pretty drat smug) when she thought this was another round with Poochita, but Denji comes in?

She's shocked, she's disgruntled, she's completely off her game.

I've seen that written off with her just being angry at Denji existing, that she feels nothing for him but disdain... but she answered his question. And the pause in it says she put some thought into it.

I don't think Makima's been able to mentally write off Denji as thoroughly as she wanted to.

...Actually, that brings to mind an idle theory I've been tossing together, just to see if it fits.

I think, or at least, I'm toying with the idea that Makima wasn't just faking liking Denji or just being sincere. She was basically hedging her bet.

Denji was someone that Chainsaw Man himself had deemed worthy. Sure, he was also a stupid, horny, uneducated teenager, but there was something there. It was Denji who defied her orders in the first chapters, after all, not Poochita. It was Denji she shared the movie date with. And she called to Denji for help against Santa Clause, the one and only time we've seen her actually in trouble.

The whole time, she was setting things up to rip him apart and kill him so she could have her idol kill her or kill for her, but she was allowing for the possibility that maybe, just maybe, Denji was someone worth keeping around on his own.

When Denji asked to be her dog, she even seems a little surprised at first. But that locks things up. Denji's not an equal. He's not someone even the Hero of Hell would have to respect. Hell, he's not even on Kishibe's level. (I sort of suspect Makima likes Kishibe more than she likes most people. Mad dog's got more slack in the leash than you'd expect from someone who's put so much time into killing her.) He's just another human, like you can find by the thousand on any busy street. He's nothing but an obstacle in the way of getting to the Chainsaw, the part that really matters.

...And now Denji's back. He's done the impossible, and that's incredibly disconcerting, since Makima already bet everything on him being a writeoff. If Denji's important, if there's a way this ends other than her controlling Chainsaw or Chainsaw eating her, then the whole centerpiece of her life just exploded. And that's the kind of thing that you don't really like thinking about.

Great post man, a lot to think about here.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

A dorohedoro level of CG would work with Chainsaw Man imo.

I feel like we'll see a scene filling in between Denji leaving the bunker and here. Def expecting there to be more of a plan than a frontal assault. Also not sure how much time it's been. Wonder if the steel arms are just from his Lord Chainsaw form or possible training with Kishibe. Could be as straightforward as it seems but Kishibe told him next time he become CSM he dies and it'd feel weird not to have some stuff happen between those two before facing Makima.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Chainsaw Man isn't even shaping up to be a very long series, so I hope they just find a good studio for it. I can't think of any studio off the top of my head that could nail it to be honest because it'll be weird seeing Fujimoto's style simplified into fewer/cleaner lines to facilitate animation

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

thetoughestbean posted:

I’d say Black Clover is worse than decent but that’s because of Studio Pierrot not cg

To be to Studio Pierrot (lol), it doesn't help them that the source material is dogshit.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Pierrot is also knocking it out of the park with Akudama Drive. It's just the long-runner format with over a hundred episodes week after week with zero breaks that tends to grind a show's quality to dust.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Is black clover doing that? Must surely be the last to start in tha5 format. I thought only one piece bore that burden

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Black Clover is getting the ongoing treatment which is why 80% of it looks like trash.

I forget the main animation director's name, but he's really good and it sucks that the ongoing format makes it look so bad. When big stuff comes up he puts in a ton of personal effort and has used a lot of techniques and stuff like Blender to make it as good as he can get away with, despite being understaffed and on a tight schedule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLykS2-lUvA

It makes the style kinda inconsistent (If you go digging for Black Clover's sakuga stuff- you'll notice a lot of very off-model designs and varying styles), but I admire the effort.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Is black clover doing that? Must surely be the last to start in tha5 format. I thought only one piece bore that burden

It is, yes. Up to 155(!) episodes so far.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Dorohedoro got a good CGI-hybrid anime that nailed the style and gory content, I feel like Chainsawman could be done well also. Could also flop, but I have hope!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I'm very wary of CGI anime in general. For every Dorohedoro or Beastars you have every single other CG anime on Netflix. I'd rather be caught by my friend watching Darling in the Franxx than most CG anime I've seen.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hat studio did Mob?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

EmmyOk posted:

Hat studio did Mob?

Bones

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

They’d dot it well also I think, they captures the roughness of ONE style well that would click with Fujinoto I think

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fabricated posted:

I don't hold out much hope for a Chainsaw Man anime- it reeks of something that'll get subpar CG.

I could see that happening but a lot of the jump adaptions have been good recently. kimetsu no yaiba, jujutsu kaisen, and I hear promised neverland was good too

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Manatee Cannon posted:

I could see that happening but a lot of the jump adaptions have been good recently. kimetsu no yaiba, jujutsu kaisen, and I hear promised neverland was good too
Visually Neverland was fine- adaption-wise it was okay. They removed 90% of the character's inner monologues which I think really takes away from it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It’s not that bad lol, there’s definitely some monologues cut but I don’t think it’s remotely close to that

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I don’t think this got posted here

https://youtu.be/VPB_J6Egi28

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

thetoughestbean posted:

I don’t think this got posted here

https://youtu.be/VPB_J6Egi28

I'm just going to watch this on repeat the rest of the night. :sbahj:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The real truth is that few studios really have a distinct personality these days, and are more about gathering freelance talent from across the industry for particular licensed products. It's mostly down to the combo of writer, director, and animation team, since most of those do work with multiple studios. Places like Trigger and KyoAni are very much the exception.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Get fuckin Masaaki Yuasa to direct it

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
I got a slightly different read of the last chapter.

I think that Makima's expression is of genuine distaste of Denji and reveals that she doesn't actually love humans, she hates them.

In the span of 1 chapter Denji demonstrated most of the 7 deadly sins, the worst aspects of humanity, but he acknowledges it and even embraces it. This affirmation transforms him from being the simple garbage dog boy into a fully actualized human with desires of his own that extend beyond basic survival.

Lust - lotta girlsfriends, lotta sex
Gluttony - steak everyday and the piles of empty snack wrappers on the ground
Greed - speaks for itself
Sloth - the frames of him hunched over lazily staring at the TV
Envy - his desire for more than just being normal
Pride - he's proud to be the chainsaw man
Wrath - he's literally plotting a murder. Also the flock of crows flying away, flock of crows = murder

Denji asking if Makima's world would not have any bad movies represents her erasing all the worst aspects of humanity. But these
vices are also what makes humans human. Denji unconsciously realizes this which is why he knows that Makima must die

idk what do you think

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

yum posted:

I got a slightly different read of the last chapter.

I think that Makima's expression is of genuine distaste of Denji and reveals that she doesn't actually love humans, she hates them.

Looking at Makima's past expressions, I don't think this is genuine distaste. You can compare it to her expressions around the Yakuza in chapter 33, when she was going full disgust, or her dissatisfaction with Chainsaw Man's defeat in chapter 89.

It's hard to place her expression here, exactly, but she seems more unsettled than anything.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

chiasaur11 posted:

Looking at Makima's past expressions, I don't think this is genuine distaste. You can compare it to her expressions around the Yakuza in chapter 33, when she was going full disgust, or her dissatisfaction with Chainsaw Man's defeat in chapter 89.

It's hard to place her expression here, exactly, but she seems more unsettled than anything.

Then again, I did think that Denji was going to sink more into a depression after seeing himself on TV instead of the reaction that he had. This manga keeps me guessin

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
https://ww1.readchainsawman.com/chapter/chainsaw-man-chapter-94/

Speed scan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Thanks a lot for posting these