Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

CJ posted:

Tier lists are good because it gives people a quick reference for the current understanding of who is good or not. This is important in a game based around investing resources.

Tier list is mostly useful so as long as you are mindful of what they mean. It's like how Super Smash Melee has a tier list, but if you don't know why Fox is good, you picking Fox does not make you win tournaments. For instance, Klee is rated highly, but if you don't actually use her animation cancels, she is subpar. Nevertheless, you can beat the game with whatever. People have used Amber to clear floor 12 of abyss. Even though this game is resource constraint so investment choices are important, you also cannot choose your characters freely. And choosing to save your resources for a future pull that may not happen is going to be tough on you to keep progressing in the game. Nonetheless, the choice is yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Saving is nice and all but they had to go and put two idiot himbos back to back as the featured 5* units and just screw me over. There's no way I'll get both and it sucks. I just want the handsome idiots.

The next one is probably another one with Albedo for 1.2 unless they throw a curveball

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

No Wave posted:

This guy has spent the last two weeks trying to beat floor 12 (you can see his most recent video for details). People who own Diluc and Klee beat it in a few hours. His youtube videos might make you think characters don't matter, but his stream teaches you the exact opposite.

He should have no problem clearing it at AR50 though, that much is true.

To be fair, he imposes limits on himself well beyond a strict definition of F2P, to the point of not using the 8th character he actually owns to have two full teams. He won't use anything that can only be acquired from gacha so that anyone who follows his guides can theoretically do so with what they have immediate access to. F2Pers who play with what they get will have a leg up over what he's demonstrating in his videos, even if all they pulled was Amber dupes.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
So I finished Chapter 1 and holy poo poo what a ride. I have always said this game is anime as gently caress and that was basically a season finale right there. I was kinda lukewarm on the story after tone-deaf bard and sad dragon adventure but chapter 1 redeemed it and way more. Boss fight was intense and not at all an hp-sponge snoozefest like Stormterror. Cutscenes were well choreographed and engaging. I am officially hyped as hell for future story content.

Also needed to add that tier lists are dumb. I'm maining Beidou and stomping everything at WL5. Yes that's probably because I pulled a Wolf's Gravestone off the perm banner but she was good even with a Debate Club. I snoozed through abyss 8, at least the half that had her on the team. Xiangling is a good enough second dps that I just had to keep her alive. Admittedly much harder when you keep hitting E on reflex to block with Tidecaller and whoops that's bear with a chili pepper.

Oh and this wasn't clear to me initially. Condensed resin is super good! I thought you still had to pay the 20 resin for the rewards, so I thought you were losing 20 resin in the deal. No, it's 40 resin for double rewards you use instead of the 20. It basically means you only have to grind the domains half as many times for the cost of a single fuckin fancy butterfly. And you can just bank them up on a day when you don't have as much time to play. I wouldn't use them on leylines just because leylines give you xp/mora/items and are super fast so it's worth doing more of them.

Now I pulled 2 Dionas so I need to get her up to "can survive WL5" so I can finally have a cryo character worth using (sorry Kaeya).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Yeah, this game is going to really be a hell of a thing once it has all 7 nation zones available + accompanying story content. Possibly the most impressive open-world setting by that point.

Radical posted:

the keqing guy absolutely started playing the game, discovered his waifu later, and then sunk cost prevented him from rerolling. he then thought "surely she'll have a rate-up eventually" and now hes unable to play the game. theres an additional sunk cost of "im gonna wait on that banner" that is preventing him from investing in units that would allow him to level up and earn more currency to roll on that fated rate-up and also to generate more mats so he could max her out instantly by the time it came.

tl;dr human psychology is really cruel

The goofy thing is that you get more than enough materials to max out the levels on one character/weapon. He would just need to look up the number of XP books/mora/mats necessary to get Keqing to 60-90 (whatever he specifically wants to level her to before using her) and set those materials aside (if he was really intent on being able to instantly level her up). And a bunch of materials flat-out aren't used for Keqing's ascension.

vandiar posted:

Here's some screenshots reportedly from the china servers of the event shop:

https://imgur.com/a/OCbrvbC

Definitely some good value on the shop.

Oh man, that's some nice money/XP. The previous events haven't given much, so it's nice to see a proper FGO-ish yield from an event.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 16, 2020

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Oh well hell, unless there's an objectively bad banner or something then I'll just roll with it. Heh.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Saxophone posted:

I'm guessing 5* pity doesn't carry over on banners?

It does, but only between the character banners. Neither the newbie banner nor the Wanderlust banner pity carries over. But the Intertwined Fate character banners all share a pity count. So you can kind of finagle your pity to hit the banner you want, with a bit of luck.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

So I finished Chapter 1 and holy poo poo what a ride. I have always said this game is anime as gently caress and that was basically a season finale right there. I was kinda lukewarm on the story after tone-deaf bard and sad dragon adventure but chapter 1 redeemed it and way more. Boss fight was intense and not at all an hp-sponge snoozefest like Stormterror. Cutscenes were well choreographed and engaging. I am officially hyped as hell for future story content.

Mihoyo is so loving good with story content, man. I've been binging Honkai Impact 3 videos and goddamn. Definitely hype as gently caress, and the hope of an awesome story to come is a big part of why I keep playing this game, even with the ridiculously stingy gacha.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Kinda wish you could lock your pity to not give you any 5*s. I wouldn't mind rolling on the current banner a few times to pick up Diona, but I'm not gonna do it because I *really* don't want to ruin my current 50-roll pity by accidentally picking up Childe when I'd much, much, much rather save it for a support 5* later on.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
I succumbed to my poor impulse control and pulled for Childe. Turns out I got him before I hit pity (think it was 65 total rolls on banners), so it looks like I'm going to build him into a main DPS.

Is it worth pulling on the weapon banner to get Rust for him? I know the weapon banner usually isn't advisable but Rust has a rate up and it doesn't seem like I have other good bows (Sacrificial Bow, Favonius Warbow, and could make Prototype Crescent)

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

ThePineapple posted:

I succumbed to my poor impulse control and pulled for Childe. Turns out I got him before I hit pity (think it was 65 total rolls on banners), so it looks like I'm going to build him into a main DPS.

Is it worth pulling on the weapon banner to get Rust for him? I know the weapon banner usually isn't advisable but Rust has a rate up and it doesn't seem like I have other good bows (Sacrificial Bow, Favonius Warbow, and could make Prototype Crescent)

If you are F2P, it is not recommended. But therein lies the trap. If you don't have a good weapon for what character you pulled, you are somewhat limited in your character's full potential.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Razor's level 51 now but so far nothing else has changed.

I need to beat an Anemo and Geo Hypostasis on my own for the handbook. Who's good to bring along?

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Ashenai posted:

Mihoyo is so loving good with story content, man. I've been binging Honkai Impact 3 videos and goddamn. Definitely hype as gently caress, and the hope of an awesome story to come is a big part of why I keep playing this game, even with the ridiculously stingy gacha.

I hope they put story cutscenes and unlocked character quests in the archive, a lot of these would be fun to revisit down the line without having to dig out a youtube

ThePineapple posted:

Rust is iirc the second best weapon for him, but there is zero guarantee you will get one. I pulled a skyward harp and am still rustless :shepface:

if you plan on dropping 10 bux on the battle pass anyway, the bow looks like a good utility choice for him since the vacuum will proc off his melee normals.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ I don't think there's much of a reason to go for Rust if you already have Skyward Harp, though.

ThePineapple posted:

I've not sure if I actually agree with the logic of never pulling on the weapon banner; if I'm understanding correctly, you can't get 5* weapons from the limited character banner, and those can be quite useful to multiple characters.

It might be worth checking that one thing that

Ashenai posted:

Yeah, even Honkai Impact 3rd is like if you took your average gacha game and just made it a lot cooler in almost every way.

I prefer the Genshin Impact character design, but I think that miHoYo probably felt like it was necessary to make all the characters girls for marketing reasons and realized that it could easily get by fine with men in Genshin. The one thing I like in Honkai that is missing from Genshin is the evade mechanic, but Genshin seems like it's going to introduce all sorts of interesting character mechanics over time (like we've already seen with stuff like Beidou's counter, Childe, and Klee).

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Also needed to add that tier lists are dumb. I'm maining Beidou and stomping everything at WL5.

Tier lists are dumb but they're only destructive because idiots interpret the line between useful and useless as being just underneath the top tier. Good idea if you're playing a competitive fighting game for real money, bad idea in a gacha game where you'll never get Keqing and refuse to listen to reason. Then you get dumb poo poo like Keqing being underneath Childe for some reason and suddenly one of the absolute best dps carries in the game is declared worthless.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
My first 5 star was Childe and I got him last Friday. Game can be fun without the “best” characters, it’s just grating when you see a hole in your team you can’t seem to fill. Still not totally happy with my team, though I have pretty much all of my bases covered. Just can’t fit archers/claymores and the elements I want to react with into a 4 man team. Where m’fish at <:mad:>

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Mailer posted:

bad idea in a gacha game where you'll never get Keqing and refuse to listen to reason.

Yeah the thing that really hammered it home for me was checking out the gacha simulator website. You can tell it to "keep rolling until you get Keqing". So I did that a couple of times, and usually it was like 800 rolls or so... but one time it was over 3000! 3000 rolls! Years and years and years.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ I don't think there's much of a reason to go for Rust if you already have Skyward Harp, though.

yeah not at all, I'm just pointing out that there is zero guarantee of you getting a specific 4* weapon even if it is on rateup since it's shared between 5 weapons.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is rust the rust bow from the weapon banner? I got that and rainslasher off a 10 wish pull.

Not sure what to do with rainslasher. Good again oceanid but oceanid eats claymore users? :confused:

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

UltraRed posted:

Is rust the rust bow from the weapon banner? I got that and rainslasher off a 10 wish pull.

Not sure what to do with rainslasher. Good again oceanid but oceanid eats claymore users? :confused:

I quite like Oceanid with Chong

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

RareAcumen posted:

I need to beat an Anemo and Geo Hypostasis on my own for the handbook. Who's good to bring along?

I would look up both bosses' movesets. For Anemo, you can literally bring anything. For Geo, you just need just need claymore users and/or Geo for the pillars, so bring both Razor and Noelle. For Geo, even if your Noelle is underleveled, she can still finish off the boss in its final phase with her Q because the pillars are like mining ores.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

If you are having trouble with bosses for the first time you can turn Traveler to Geo and just climb on a rock or hide behind it and dodge like nearly everything.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
Tier lists are useless unless they detail the characters' roles and what puts them in their position. Xiangling as elemental support is quite different from Xiangling as a main DPS, for instance. I used both of my spear prototypes on Prototype Grudge, so I don't have access to Crescent Pike and can't use her as a main DPS no matter how good she is on paper. She's stuck on Pyro application duty.

RareAcumen posted:

Fischl or Amber would probably be handy for Anemo Hypostasis; there's some points in the fight where I think you can only hit it with an archer. Anemo Traveler isn't really a good pick, since the Hypostasis is immune to Anemo and you can't get Gust Surge to stay in one spot to apply other elemental procs. Noelle or Ningguang might be helpful in blocking some of its AOE attacks.
Edit: Oh yeah, Geo Traveler's meteors might be helpful in picking up some of its energy orbs to keep it from doing AOEs. Haven't tried that myself, though.

Noelle is fantastic for the Geo Hypostasis: 3-combo -> dodge cancel to take down the pillars, use her shield to tank the glowy pillar AOE, and pop her ult once you get to the last phase where it spawns the three pillars. You can probably use Razor if you'd prefer, but you'll likely have to two-cycle the last phase.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

UltraRed posted:

I've heard Rainslasher is good for Beidou burst/parry DPS. I use Prototype Aminus for main, though the Rainslasher in the weapon pile is calling my name the more high-tier mains I roll.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Bloody Emissary posted:

You can probably use Razor if you'd prefer, but you'll likely have to two-cycle the last phase.

his ult gives such a big attack speed bonus you can 1round it easily

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Flair posted:

Tier list is mostly useful so as long as you are mindful of what they mean. It's like how Super Smash Melee has a tier list, but if you don't know why Fox is good, you picking Fox does not make you win tournaments. For instance, Klee is rated highly, but if you don't actually use her animation cancels, she is subpar. Nevertheless, you can beat the game with whatever. People have used Amber to clear floor 12 of abyss. Even though this game is resource constraint so investment choices are important, you also cannot choose your characters freely. And choosing to save your resources for a future pull that may not happen is going to be tough on you to keep progressing in the game. Nonetheless, the choice is yours.

I think this is a really good point, but I just want to say that Klee could be the best DPS in game of you are a master of frame cancelling, but if you're not then she's still just behind Diluc a bit, and still pretty much a fire demon of death.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

UltraRed posted:

Rainslasher is basically free extra damage on Razor & Beidou as electro greatsword users. Probably less useful on anyone else unless you are running Xingqiu or Barbara to get free wet procs on everything in melee and even then I dunno if that gimmick is worth not using a better claymore option you might have.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Ytlaya posted:

I've not sure if I actually agree with the logic of never pulling on the weapon banner; if I'm understanding correctly, you can't get 5* weapons from the limited character banner, and those can be quite useful to multiple characters.

You don’t pull on the weapon banner unless you want the 4* weapons. It’s not possible to guarantee either of the 5* weapons due to how the pity works, so if you want to pull for the book you can spend infinite money and get nothing but gravestones on your pities. Granted, it’s eventually going to happen if you spend enough money, but we’re talking “willing to spend 10k+ on a weapon” and it’s just not really a good idea.

The weapons don’t even have butts, after all.

Assume that someday you will pull a 5* weapon from the standard banner from the blue wishes you get and can’t spend anywhere else and forget they exist outside of that. Functionally, they don’t, even for a lot of whales.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

lol barbara is such complete trash.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Clarste posted:

People in this thread have been talking about character synergies and tiers and stuff, which makes me feel like an absolute idiot so I'd like some advice. This is my current roster:

I've been using Sucrose as my "main" dps because I love the swooshing AOE effects of swirl so I wanted more Wind, all the time. She's still absolutely amazing at killing groups, but I'm starting to realize at level 70 that her normal attacks are... bad. Really bad. Fischl and Xingqiu are both amazing as "switch to them for 2 seconds to use their skills/bursts and then switch out" characters, while Noelle keeps me alive and is also surprisingly strong when her Burst is up.

Anyway, the main problem I'm having is that apparently Water and Lightning are crappy elements and I need Pyro or Cryo to kill slimes in any reasonable amount of time. I tried out Xiangling briefly (replacing Xingqiu) but tbh I hated playing her. In particular her Skill seems really awkward to apply Pyro with and her Burst took too long to charge (although maybe that was an effect of the Domain I was trying her out in). I guess maybe an obvious thing would be to replace Sucrose with Xiangling with a physical build, but honestly I still really enjoy the giant swooshing AOE effects so that would make me sad.

Edit: Xingqiu is at C0, btw. Everyone else I'm using is C1.

Level Razor, he's practically a 5* DPS and you don't have to worry a ton about his element, he can just rely on physical damage. If you have a claymore prototype, build him a Prototype Aminus. He'll carry you through literally whatever.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Xun posted:

It's a bit late (never changed a thread title before) but its done! I think you made a good point

Thanks so much. You just made an internet stranger's day a bit better :glomp:

Osmosisch fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Nov 16, 2020

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Klee is good, and while the effort involved in canceling or not is a personal call, that effort doesn't have a money/time component. Throwing Keqing in the closet (along with :coolfish: and loving Razor?!?) while you endlessly roll for Childe and Xingqui is batshit insane... but totally justified because herpderp S tier.

Trying to find objective logic in that tier list breaks my brain. Aside from "Childe works with Xiangling and Xiangling is free" the only logical way thing I could come up with is (assuming you have Bennet) the Bennet boost doesn't apply to Superconduct/Overload. So if you want youtube-worthy crits you need Vaporize or Melt. That doesn't really explain Xingqui, I guess.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
A good tier list would set enough controlled values so that the only difference between characters would be their innate strengths/stats/talents. That's not a realistic representation of the state of the game for a lot of players, especially with constellations.

Afaik no one has number crunched hard enough with controlled variables to flat out state which characters are numerically superior/inferior. I get the feeling the cast is balanced well enough that the difference would only be noticeable between opposite ends of the spectrum though

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah from what I've seen so far that while there's definitely characters at the top and bottom end, there's enough sheer variables involved in team composition and elemental combos and enemy resistances and such that it depends a lot more on bringing the right tools to the fight. As long as you aren't making obvious mistakes like trying to build Barbara as a DPS or Razor as a support or something it'll work out fine.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
This is the closest tier list I agree with. Even so I hard disagree with a few of the options. Beidou should be top tier main DPS for example.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Genshin_Im...tm_source=share
Doesn't include 1.1 patch.

Ultimately if your failing at content, it's not a case of needing more damage. It's a case of needing better artifacts and better support characters that dont die.

Joink fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 16, 2020

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Honestly the only way you could compare tiers imo is to look at specific team comps vs specific abyss stages/domains/bosses because other than that you could be using nothing but free characters and still style on almost everything in the game with not much effort

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Everyone is good and worth investing in if you like them except Amber/Lisa/Kaeya/MC imo.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, Klee doesn't need to animation cancel to be good; I don't bother with it much and she still annihilates everything that isn't immune to her. It's just that if you optimally animation cancel and play perfectly, she does more damage than anyone else can, rather than her being bad if you don't. She's still an engine of death with suboptimal play.

Honestly, I think it's more important to just remember that she's a charge attack character and to use her sparks whenever you have the opportunity than it is to practice frame-perfect animation canceling, since the former is where much of her damage comes from and the sparks appear so often. And given how hard it can be to notice her sparks appearing in all the chaos, you might even get more damage from her just doing a cycle of two normal attacks followed by a charge, trusting in the odds to usually have a spark up for you by then, than it would be to do perfect animation-cancelled normals but miss that you have a spark ready for several seconds and not do any charge attacks for that time.

Plus, the "easier" animation cancelling trick, jumping after two normals, is only just a little less damage, but is much more mobile, and since you need to dodge, or sometimes chase enemies because your attacks send them flying, so I don't think the "optimal" method ends up being that huge of a gain in practical circumstances anyway. Learning the jump cancel is probably more helpful since it makes her a lot more mobile on top of increasing her damage, and it's really easy since you just, well, jump after throwing two bombs or charge attacking.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
I will say that Lisa is extremely fun early game just for annihilating groups of weak mobs. I used a Lisa/Sucrose combo to breeze through much of Mondstadt cackling with glee. One of the random 4* weapons I pulled was Eye of Perception which just added to the mayhem. Would recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
The MHW math guys final tier list for 1.0 was pretty good. Especially if you watch the recorded stream and go over how he rates each option, since he explains each one as he's going. It's less helpful without that but it helped me understand some of the rationales for everything.