Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

ganglysumbia posted:

Why are pills a must? Expect to be running ops or having guard duty?

Most people will get over their caffeine withdraws fairly quickly. And the reason why so much coffee is consumed is the taste, disregarding those that add anything to it but hot water...

If you are really concerned you can buy unroasted beans, which last more than two years if stored properly. Which is definitely not a bad idea if poo poo goes down it would definitely become very expensive, something to barter with, and of course the thing that makes all things better.

Caffeine pills are a must, in my opinion, because in a situation where there's not a lot of water, or water has to be boiled (like a contaminated water event in your town or city, from either a water treatment plant fuckup, a chemical spill, or a hurricane), people might not want to use what little water and time they have to brew coffee. And going through caffeine withdrawal sucks major rear end. IMO for short term, localized emergencies like those, it makes sense to have.

They are a ready made pick me up, and whether its anything from during the initial recovery efforts after a hurricane where you may be doing search and rescue, or a time where white supremacist militias are roaming the streets and you can't get to Starbucks, you'll need that energy. The pills also last a long time, don't take up much space, and don't require power, boiled water, and for some people who prefer their coffee with creamer or sugar, the pills don't require those, either.

I think it's a great way to supplement your other preps (including stored coffee beans and tea), whether you're looking at weeks or months of food and supplies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Be historically accurate and just get benzadrine.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Caffeine helps me regulate my ADHD because medical grade stimulants aren’t always an option, so yes in that case it’s a must.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Pills are also pre-measured and easy to cut up to get smaller doses. A tub of caffeine isn't as easy to dose.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

This feels more valuable than the equivalent space in soap which seems pretty top shelf

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the age of enlightenment happenend because coffee was introduced to europe.

without caffeine, those of us who don't die from withdrawls will still be unable to rebuild society beyond a basic feudal agrarian model. science, technology, most of our arts and understanding, all will be lost

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

I was going to ask what happens if you snort this but then I remembered that I did that with gas station minithins in high school and the answer is not much

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

ganglysumbia posted:

the thing that makes all things better.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Notahippie posted:

I was going to ask what happens if you snort this but then I remembered that I did that with gas station minithins in high school and the answer is not much

Clearly anal insertion was the correct method to try.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Notahippie posted:

Let's put it this way, you could pull off a Jonestown with 3 of those tubs. Pills are mostly binder.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Does anyone know where to get caffeine anhydrous? I used to get little tubs off of a workout supplement website to mix my own pre-workouts, but it seems like it’s all disappeared from the internet from the last time I bought any. Since then, I’ve only found a few places that require permission or justification to buy it.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

There were some high profile fatalities and nobody wants the liability of selling to end users now.

It was a dying market anyway as all the truckers graduated to meth and students have ready access to adderall

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 8, 2020

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Kinda related, there is a thread on bugout bags in TGO if any of you are interested. :shobon:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933065&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Hey thanks!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

what's good, lightweight rope to toss in a hiking bag?

I've got a little bit of parachord kicking it in there now, but that ain't gonna reliably assist my tonnage in climbing up or down anything unless I quadruple it up.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I use amsteel rope. It floats, is low stretch, weighs next to nothing, and is cheap. I bought it for a buck a yard a few years back, and the 3/16 diameter has a min load of 4900 lbs. It's available in sizes up to like 7 inches as well in case you need to moor a frigate.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Guest2553 posted:

I use amsteel rope. It floats, is low stretch, weighs next to nothing, and is cheap. I bought it for a buck a yard a few years back, and the 3/16 diameter has a min load of 4900 lbs. It's available in sizes up to like 7 inches as well in case you need to moor a frigate.
I love amsteel, but it is worth noting that it doesn't handle every knot perfectly without slipping or being impossible to untie. It does splice wonderfully though.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

50'' is $69

maybe the sex number is a sign

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

So we got through the election (for the most part lol?), and now COVID is gearing up to gently caress the country hard and dry in the coming weeks. Anyone doing anything in preparation? I’m doing an inventory of my food tomorrow and will try to plug any gaps on Tuesday.

Not to be morbid, but I’m curious if anyone has done a living will recently. I’ve never set one up, and figure it’d be a good idea to have one, even outside the context of COVID and the general context of 2020 in the Hellfucker dimension.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I’ve developed a lot of hobbies that don’t require me going outside. I’m going to really miss doing BJJ :(

Also got a baofang probably gonna get my HAM license if I can get my comptia A+ cert as fast as I’m hoping.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

pantslesswithwolves posted:

So we got through the election (for the most part lol?), and now COVID is gearing up to gently caress the country hard and dry in the coming weeks. Anyone doing anything in preparation? I’m doing an inventory of my food tomorrow and will try to plug any gaps on Tuesday.

Not to be morbid, but I’m curious if anyone has done a living will recently. I’ve never set one up, and figure it’d be a good idea to have one, even outside the context of COVID and the general context of 2020 in the Hellfucker dimension.

A lot of supply chains have been beefed up, but if you don't have at least few weeks worth of paper products, cleaning supplies, personal ppe like masks, etc, now's probably the time to make sure you do. Mostly non-perishable stuff went missing in march so not a huge deal if shortages don't materialize this winter since you'll be able to use it all eventually.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I’ve developed a lot of hobbies that don’t require me going outside. I’m going to really miss doing BJJ :(

Also got a baofang probably gonna get my HAM license if I can get my comptia A+ cert as fast as I’m hoping.

How do you like the Baofang? I've heard lots of poo poo talk about that brand, but for the price, I don't see why not.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Baofengs tend to skimp on a lot of hardware that reduces splatter and harmonics in its transmissions.

This results in a lot of wasted power going into transmissions outside of where your recipient is receiving you thus making an 8 w portable effectively like a six watt portable. It also means that you aren't a good curator for the ham bands since you are spitting out a bunch of garbage that can interfere with other ham operators.. If you are near the edge of the hambands you could also potentially be transmitting outside of them.

That said, these radios are better than no radio. And if you can't afford a better one then go for it.

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.
One of the guys in the ham thread made a video showing the squelch delay that Beofengs have/had:

Sniep posted:

Sure, but i'd rather have to use an adapter going the other direction vs. using otherwise good antennas on good radios with the adapter that makes it weaker as well as introduces loss.

Here's a quick little video demo of this via using the most simple feature on the radio - squelch break:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZqfCCL2MDY

See what I'm talking about? (Sorry for my noisy bg in my office)

I've never used one, but I know plenty of people still have fun with them.

Definitely check out the ham thread if you haven't already!

Stingwing fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 16, 2020

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
My partner and I actually just got our technician class licenses this year. I bought baofengs for both of us, but I'm not really sure what to do with them. I think a good first task would be to find some local repeaters and try to listen to local clubs hitting their repeater, and try to transmit between my partner and I on one at a more appropriate time. I have no idea how to program the handset, and the cable I bought turned out to be a counterfeit. I'm considering upgrading to a nicer H/T at some point, but I'll feel very silly if we never get any use out of these baofengs.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Baofengs tend to skimp on a lot of hardware that reduces splatter and harmonics in its transmissions.

This results in a lot of wasted power going into transmissions outside of where your recipient is receiving you thus making an 8 w portable effectively like a six watt portable. It also means that you aren't a good curator for the ham bands since you are spitting out a bunch of garbage that can interfere with other ham operators.. If you are near the edge of the hambands you could also potentially be transmitting outside of them.

That said, these radios are better than no radio. And if you can't afford a better one then go for it.

I've heard this from a few people now. If I only plan on receiving though, that shouldn't be a problem. I can always upgrade if needed for transmit, or say screw the spectrum since if I am xmitting I don't care about those pesky "laws" and "FCC".

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Think of it as budget spread spectrum EPM feature to deny interferometric information to an adversary :v:

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I'm not only set, but I have four months worth of food stored at a friend's house in case I need to book it. I saw covid getting nightmarish all the way back in February and prepared not only my own necessaries, but I warned people that I care about and supplied many of them. So that's great for my mental health that I can retreat to my friend's house if a tree falls on my house since that's happened before.

My suggestion if you're going into hard lockdown would be to stock up on food that makes you happy if you're already well stocked. I have a kind of three tiered food pyramid where I stock rice, beans, cooking oil, etc as my base, move on to canned food like fruit, vegetables and soup as my center to bulk out the first tier and make more complex meals and then the upper tier is stuff that makes food a joy to eat. Good cuts of meat for instance, high quality ingredients like fresh fruit and veggies, eggs, beef jerky, chips, alcohol, nice cheese, that sort of stuff. I have about three months of food on hand right now so I'm rock solid.

Since I'm good I'm making donations to a local community near me. Most everyone still has work, but it's a poor community. Fully half of the city's population has used the local food bank in the last six months so a hundred bucks goes a long way to making sure people get their necessaries. poo poo is real dire right now so if you have a few bucks you wouldn't miss I strongly suggest donating to a food bank. Large food banks have lines that stretch as far as the eye can see. They're the modern day equivalent of depression era bread lines.

Covid isn't just about having enough food and water and shelter to get through the next few months. That's extremely important, but keeping up your spirits is important too. There's a rash of alcoholism, drug abuse, depression, domestic violence and suicide. That's been my focus for the last few months. Not the material stuff. That's done. The emotional stuff is what I focus on. The stuff that keeps me from brooding and dwelling and feeling like poo poo. So I've been doing tons of self-care.

I think that the best thing to do would be something that keeps you inside and not bored so you don't break down in order to be around people or so you do that very infrequently to mitigate risk. Something you can do to vary your activities and distract you from covid being a nightmare for the next few months. Walks and audiobooks are my main go to because the weather where I'm at is pretty temperate all year round. I'm nearing 200 of those bad boys that I've piled up over the decade and I still have a huge pile to go through. I bought some games and I have a bunch to play through along with Cyberpunk 2077 coming out next month, so I have that to look forward to. Which it isn't about the game specifically, just something to look forward to so I pay attention to the date and can mark the passage of time. I have some adjustable weights on hand for exercise and I'm thinking about getting a bike, but honestly I don't know how much a decent one for a tall guy would cost for just riding around the neighborhood. I'll have to do some research on that. And I bought some stuff to make complex meals and alcoholic drinks. Stuff to take my mind off things while I'm in hard lockdown.

Honestly, the best purchase I've made recently is Tabletop Simulator on Steam. If you like board games then you can usually find cool people to play with and it's just social enough to distract. I play on Tuesdays with a friend and it's nice to look forward to. Board gaming is undergoing a kind of renaissance right now and you can find a bunch of free mods and the board gaming community is super fun and inviting and you can usually find cool people to play with and move virtual pieces around a virtual board. So this is more about finding a cool online community where you can hear the voice of another person.

A few months back I helped people out with mental health stuff and I realized how good I have it now because I did my freaking out and panicking early on, calmed down and then made sure to focus on the material stuff and the emotional stuff both so it wouldn't happen again. I got burnt out on helping people and retreated from that because I realized that I need to take care of myself and the people closest to me because I'm only one person and that I shouldn't feel guilty for not helping people who are further away. So my world has become very small in recent days and I'm spending the days in relative comfort before I emerge, hopefully healthy and sane by the time I finally get vaccinated.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 17, 2020

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://www.narescue.com/adventure

Now that I’ve placed my order, I am pleased to announce that NAR is having a 25% off sale on its outdoor adventure products, which still includes CATs and other TCCC/TECC equipment.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

https://www.narescue.com/adventure

Now that I’ve placed my order, I am pleased to announce that NAR is having a 25% off sale on its outdoor adventure products, which still includes CATs and other TCCC/TECC equipment.

I have some standard med kit supplies in my house but this is a big step up from what I have, I know this is a broad question as uses vary so widely but any basic recommendations?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

What’s your application? Home FAK, car kit, everyday carry, etc?

In general, I would say something like this
https://www.narescue.com/out-pak-kit-coy.html
As it has stuff for major injuries (the CAT, namely) and also minor injuries like small cuts and abrasions, and has a small form factor that would allow you to carry it easily.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I have some standard med kit supplies in my house but this is a big step up from what I have, I know this is a broad question as uses vary so widely but any basic recommendations?

Shamelessly taking part of my OP from the Plate Carrier and Armor megathread in TFR:

quote:

Take a Basic First Aid / CPR class. They do them remotely now sometimes. Next, take a Stop The Bleed course. That'll show you how to pack a wound, use gauze correctly (whether they're Combat Gauze/infused with blood clotting chemicals), and use tourniquets.

If there's interest, I'll post a video playlist of training on how to use chest seals, NPAs, OPAs, needle decompression kits, as well as Stop the Bleed trainings, etc. If you don't know what any of that means, don't worry. There's a few paramedic YouTuber guys to follow like SkinnyMedic, and PrepMedic, who have playlists showing you how to save a life. Subscribe to their channels and watch their videos. I cannot repeat this enough.
Watch their loving videos.

However, there's no substitute for hands on training with a trained and Stop the Bleed or TCCC (Tactical Combat Casualty Care) or TECC (Tactical Emergency Casualty Care) certified paramedic, retired Army medic, PJ, or SF medic.

As far as IFAK or medical pouches and equipment go, Emdom, ITS Tactical are great, but the best source is North American Rescue (NAR) - maker of the (IMO) best TQ on the market, the Combat Application Tourniquet, currently at Gen 7. Don't buy any medical device or gear from Amazon - there have been MAJOR issues of very bad counterfeit products that look nearly identical to the real thing, but fail. Don't lose a life because you wanted to save a few bucks on a TQ. Buy directly from NAR.

It's good to know basic CPR, how to stop bleeding, how to evaluate a patient, knowing when to move or not move someone, know to never take out knives or impaling objects, etc.

Get training along with your purchases.

Get a few TQs, a bunch of compressed gauze or Z fold gauze, some gloves, shears, several Israeli bandage/Emergency Trauma Dressings, and NAR elastic wrap bandages of various sizes.

Or just buy a FAK pre built from NAR like the TORK or something else that meets your needs.

Don't use a ARS needle or NPA without knowing how to use it - you can do way more harm than good if you do.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 17, 2020

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Dark angel medical is starting a Black Friday sale.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

This is too big of a post for me to quote from my phone, but this is an older post from a spring USPOL thread that recently got linked to in the COVID thread. It’s got some really good tips about staying mentally healthy during lockdown and seems pretty relevant given that it looks like we’ll soon be seeing another round of them nationwide.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3919514&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=173#post504247938

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I stumbled on this channel, seems pretty non-chuddy and good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4GYjhwfvwU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

isn't there a bug out bag thread in great outdoors or something, they may like that

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Yeah, there is, it’s been linked here several times and I’m pretty sure GBGB is in their OP as well.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

sure but how do you put together a bugout vanguard party?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Grey Bearded Green Beret is one of my favorite bushcrafter / outdoorsy YouTubers, alongside Joe Robinet, TA Outdoors, Survivial Lilly, and Corporals Corner (who is probably a chud but he seems to keep politics out of every video I've seen so far).