Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I was a little puzzled when Din started talking about looking for the Jedi - I didn’t think he had connected the Child to the Jedi, he was just looking to return it to “its people.” Where did that get filled in for him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

head58 posted:

I was a little puzzled when Din started talking about looking for the Jedi - I didn’t think he had connected the Child to the Jedi, he was just looking to return it to “its people.” Where did that get filled in for him?

The Armourer told him about sorcerers and called them Jedi at the end of last season.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

quote:

Armorer: It looks helpless.

Din Djarin: It's injured, but it is not helpless. Its species can move objects with its mind.

Armorer: I know of such things. The songs of eons past tell of battles between Mandalore the Great and an order of sorcerers called Jedi that fought with such powers.

Din Djarin: It is an enemy?

Armorer: No. Its kind were enemies, but this individual is not.

Din Djarin: What is it?

Armorer: It is a foundling. By Creed, it is in your care.

Din Djarin: You wish me to train this thing?

Armorer: It is too weak. It would die. You have no choice. You must reunite it with its own kind.

Din Djarin: Where?

Armorer: This, you must determine.

Din Djarin: You expect me to search the galaxy for the home of this creature and deliver it to a race of enemy sorcerers?

Armorer: This is the Way.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The Armourer told him about sorcerers and called them Jedi at the end of last season.

And at this point he apparently doesn't know anything about Jedi, so for all he knows, the Child's species is "Jedi"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Iron Crowned posted:

And at this point he apparently doesn't know anything about Jedi, so for all he knows, the Child's species is "Jedi"

google it, you dumbass

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Classic “goons posting about a show they... I guess didn’t watch?” moment here.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bust Rodd posted:

Classic “goons posting about a show they... I guess didn’t watch?” moment here.

I didn't realize that Din posted on Something Awful.

Rinkles is making a joke about Mando being too lazy to look up the name of baby Yoda species, presuming they even have a proper name in universe.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's not like he's been near a good library, and I think this EU doesn't have an internet analogue.

...and now I absolutely want to see the Mandalorian in a library.

vvv: Ah, though it might also make sense if Din in particular wants to stay off that near literal grid, and I imagine the Empire has done a lot of content purges.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 16, 2020

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
They still have the Holonet in new canon. It comes up in Rebels a few times. Though in a context which makes it seem more like Imperial state tv service than like something you could use to google up “short green wizard species”

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also feels like a female character just having a kid dumped on her to be raised for an indefinite amount of time is a bit iffy.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also feels like a female character just having a kid dumped on her to be raised for an indefinite amount of time is a bit iffy.

The kid is also already 50, anyone raising them needs to be of the same species because they'll just die of old age before the kid hits their teens.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here’s what The Child will look like if he grows up to embrace the Dark Side.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I don't think Ahsoka will have any lightsabers, she left them behind to fake her death and doesn't want anything to do with the Jedi. I don't think she'll want to raise baby Yoda either, she thought Yoda was a stupid dick (she's right).

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I don't think Ahsoka will have any lightsabers, she left them behind to fake her death and doesn't want anything to do with the Jedi. I don't think she'll want to raise baby Yoda either, she thought Yoda was a stupid dick (she's right).

She has two new ones that she used in Rebels.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
What, dicks?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Y’all crazy if you think she’s not gonna have lightsabers. We just probably won’t see them until the last five minutes of the final episode of this season.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

DurosKlav posted:

Christmas season pretty much starts October 1st nowadays. In another decade or so its going to be July 5th.

That sounds like you don't already leave it up year-round...

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
They simply can't have a Star Wars product without some form of Lightsabers showing up. Solo almost made it the entire runtime until Maul shows up and ignites his for no goddamn reason, and then Mandalorian season one busted out the Darksaber (which at least is a cool variation on it that hasn't been seen in live action)

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

They simply can't have a Star Wars product without some form of Lightsabers showing up. Solo almost made it the entire runtime until Maul shows up and ignites his for no goddamn reason, and then Mandalorian season one busted out the Darksaber (which at least is a cool variation on it that hasn't been seen in live action)

Lightsabers and droids are the only things that have appeared in every single Star Wars movie. Until Solo, threepio and artoo held that title.

Th Armorer speaks similarly to the way Yoda does in a couple of those lines

Armorer is The Child’s parent. I’m blowing this wide open.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm always a little surprised that lightsabers aren't more common in the Star Wars. Yeah, there's the whole "dangerous to use" thing, but that's never really slowed anyone down before with anything else dangerous to the operator.

There were probably catalogs that you could order licensed reproductions of all your favorite Jedi's lightsabers.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Sash! posted:

I'm always a little surprised that lightsabers aren't more common in the Star Wars. Yeah, there's the whole "dangerous to use" thing, but that's never really slowed anyone down before with anything else dangerous to the operator.

There were probably catalogs that you could order licensed reproductions of all your favorite Jedi's lightsabers.

You need to be force attuned to construct them

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Sash! posted:

Ahsoka maybe aside, the only person who knows how to make a lightsaber at this point is Luke Skywalker and he's on "Jedi walkabout" and not interested in a "work from home" business of making lightsabers for sale.

It's a bit like saying that nuclear weapons should be more common in our world. That's the level of materials rarity and knowledge of making that we're dealing with in terms of lightsabers.

One plot point about Ahsoka was that at the end of Rebels she and Sabine Wren were planning to look for Ezra Bridger. It could be that that search is still ongoing and she might bow out of being a Jedi Mom until that's finished. Plus it gives us the possibility of Din joining them on that search. Which gives us live action Sabine Wren. And if they find Ezra, we get him in live action. And given who he was last with...

Dear God, if this show gives us live action Grand Admiral Thrawn I will weep with joy.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm calling it now, they're going to pull a reverse ESB "looking for a great warrior" moment on Din.

Din: "I'm looking for a Jedi named Ahsoka Tano."
Ahsoka: "Oh, what does she look like?"
Din: "Dunno. Like a Jedi, I guess. Green, pointy ears, about yea high..."
Ahsoka: "What do you want from her?"
Din: (a bunch of rude stuff that he's going to regret when he finds out who Ahsoka really is)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Everyone posted:

Dear God, if this show gives us live action Grand Admiral Thrawn I will weep with joy.

If they kill off Gideon suddenly at the end of this season to introduce Thrawn, I would have mixed feelings. If he took the Darksaber and just kinda gave it back to Bo-Katan though, that'd be a great anti-climax.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sash! posted:

What makes lightsabers workable in a setting with laser guns all over the place is that Jedi have training, reflexes, and force sensitivity to deflect blaster bolts. Your average dude bringing a lightsaber to a fight would probably just result in them getting turned to swiss cheese.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hazo posted:

Lightsabers and droids are the only things that have appeared in every single Star Wars movie. Until Solo, threepio and artoo held that title.

There's no lightsabers in the second Endor movie... or even droids that I can remember. I haven't seen the first

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hazo posted:

Is she in there driving the body like those guys in Men in Black

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Was telling my buddy that since Mando has Boba Fett’ armor, there’s a real possibility that Mando gets his god-mode armor stolen off of him and he has to wear Boba’s armor to get it back.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You would think Yoda would be more famous being the guy that could order 50 trillion dollars worth of clones and ships at one point. Star Wars needs a Star Press.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean that's kind of been a weird problem in all of Disney's Star Wars material: Jedi somehow get mythologized into this long forgotten fable most people dismiss out of hand despite them having fought prominently in a gigantic, galaxy spanning war within living memory.

Like I get that most people outside the temple wouldn't know too many of the specifics, but you'd think at least the bare minimum of "yeah the Jedi were these super powerful warriors who fought in the war decades ago. They used lightsabers and could move poo poo with their mind" would permeate through the Republic citizenry.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I think part of it is that as far as we know there isn't a kind of galaxy internet or the equivalent as far as we know and most people even during the Clone Wars probably never even saw a Jedi.

Sure there were like a thousand Jedi before Order 66 but that's in a galaxy of trillions. I'm sure that a lot of people have heard of the Jedi but probably don't believe The Force exists. Especially considering Sheev went out of his way to bury and destroy everything about the Jedi he could.

Mando and the Armorer probably didn't know about them because they're weird isolationist religious fundamentalists.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Sydin posted:

I mean that's kind of been a weird problem in all of Disney's Star Wars material: Jedi somehow get mythologized into this long forgotten fable most people dismiss out of hand despite them having fought prominently in a gigantic, galaxy spanning war within living memory.

“Disney”? This became weird as soon as the Prequels were made, see the Death Star conference room scene. And that featured many men who FOUGHT in the Clone Wars.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
If the last four years have taught me anything, it’s extremely easy for a powerful government to obfuscate, bury, and outright lie about the truth and get the population to buy it wholesale without question. So yeah, I have no problem imagining the Empire destroying all mention of the Jedi and turning them from fact to myth.

The galaxy had 20+ years of Sheev screaming FAKE HOLONEWS and I WON THE CLONE WAR.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Veotax posted:

Mando and the Armorer probably didn't know about them because they're weird isolationist religious fundamentalists.

A funny description I read was Mando was a weird religious home school kid and meeting Bo-Katan was like meeting the cool kids who smoke on the football field and make out after school.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If the last four years have taught me anything, it’s extremely easy for a powerful government to obfuscate, bury, and outright lie about the truth and get the population to buy it wholesale without question. So yeah, I have no problem imagining the Empire destroying all mention of the Jedi and turning them from fact to myth.

The galaxy had 20+ years of Sheev screaming FAKE HOLONEWS and I WON THE CLONE WAR.

Also presumably the number of people who had seen a Jedi, even before Order 66, was maybe like 0.1% of the galactic population right? There may have been people who didn't believe they existed in the first place.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sydin posted:

What makes lightsabers workable in a setting with laser guns all over the place is that Jedi have training, reflexes, and force sensitivity to deflect blaster bolts. Your average dude bringing a lightsaber to a fight would probably just result in them getting turned to swiss cheese.

That's not what I was talking about.

I mean literally like how I can go buy a replica of Patton's ivory handled pistols or the Honjo Masamune. They'd still work as a gun or a sword, but no one is actually using one.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Sash! posted:

I mean literally like how I can go buy a replica of Patton's ivory handled pistols or the Honjo Masamune. They'd still work as a gun or a sword, but no one is actually using one.

You ignored the one poster who actually rebutted your point

mehall posted:

You need to be force attuned to construct them

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Sash! posted:

I think the difference is you didn't have 20+ years of CIA hit squads killing anybody who had one or knew how to build them while they burned engineering text books on how to make gunpowder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Big Mean Jerk posted:

lol point