Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

LLSix posted:

What do you name your pigs? I need some more pig names for my ever growing truffle-hunting horde.

I normally name that after different kinds of jamon (delicious delicious dry-cured ham) but I ran out of varieties in this game.

I only have two pigs, Snuffles and Wuffles.
Also two sheep, four cows and four goats.

You make enough money from one barn to not justify the hassle of petting another 12 animals every day.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

LLSix posted:

What do you name your pigs?

[74]

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

LLSix posted:

What do you name your pigs? I need some more pig names for my ever growing truffle-hunting horde.

I normally name that after different kinds of jamon (delicious delicious dry-cured ham) but I ran out of varieties in this game.

Types of mushrooms. Button, Crimini, Shiitake, Toad...

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

LLSix posted:

Loin, Chop, Spare Rib, BB Rib, Shoulder...

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I don't really like the animal mechanics, so my interaction with pigs is bare minimum. Get truffles for community thing, store some for requests/oil, sell pigs at 5 stars, don't bother buying new pigs.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
In one playthrough I named them after philosophers - Epicurus, Marx, Bentham, etc. In my current run I recently got a pig named Francis (as in Bacon, geddit?)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

LLSix posted:

I named mine SHuckS (Sarah Huckabee Sanders) and Kellyanne.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
From my old uploaded pig farm:

84 Pigs: Chorizo VII , Chorizo XII , Chorizo VIII , Chorizo IV , Chorizo XI , Chorizo I , Chorizo VI , Chorizo V , Chorizo X , Chorizo II , Chorizo IX , Chorizo III , Bacon VI , Bacon VIII , Bacon I , Bacon V , Bacon II , Bacon XI , Bacon X , Bacon VII , Bacon IX , Bacon III , Bacon XII , Bacon IV , Porkchop I , Porkchop VIII , Porkchop XI , Porkchop VII , Porkchop V , Porkchop XII , Porkchop VI , Porkchop III , Porkchop IX , Porkchop X , Porkchop IV , Porkchop II , Ham XI , Ham I , Ham X , Ham II , Ham VIII , Ham VII , Ham IX , Ham VI , Ham XII , Ham V , Ham IV , Ham III , Sausage XI , Sausage VI , Sausage VII , Sausage I , Sausage VIII , Sausage II , Sausage IV , Sausage XII , Sausage X , Sausage III , Sausage IX , Sausage V , Ribs IV , Ribs II , Ribs XI , Ribs VII , Ribs XII , Ribs I , Ribs V , Ribs VIII , Ribs IX , Ribs VI , Ribs III , Ribs X , Pepperoni IV , Pepperoni IX , Pepperoni VII , Pepperoni XII , Pepperoni I , Pepperoni VI , Pepperoni V , Pepperoni II , Pepperoni III , Pepperoni XI , Pepperoni VIII , Pepperoni X

The sound effects were horrific.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
The randomizer has given me some stellar ones. Snack and Manny are my favorites.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Honest question: why do you all have more than one animal of any type? It's like fishing for me, I do it because I have to and then inertia kicks in and I may as well pet the cow and milk it on the way to the greenhouse.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I had one of everything and hatched every Dino egg I found until my coop was full, bought a couple of pigs because truffle oil makes money then never got round to getting rid of any of them. They're more like pets that I ignore, once or twice a year I go clean out the auto grabber.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Because animals are cute and it's a decent source of low effort daily cash. Also, particularly with cows, gotta stockpile cheese for pepper poppers.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I now only do pigs because of the insane profit from truffles 75% of the year.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Having only a single animal must be really lonely for them. :(

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Bogart posted:

Honest question: why do you all have more than one animal of any type? It's like fishing for me, I do it because I have to and then inertia kicks in and I may as well pet the cow and milk it on the way to the greenhouse.

At some point the game stops being a capitalist simulator because you have everything you need and now you just want to build a good looking farm.

1.5 can't come soon enough and with the fact that the election is over I can finally get around to playing this and Spiritfarer without any loving anxiety.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Rick_Hunter posted:

At some point the game stops being a capitalist simulator

when

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

When I buy the golden clock? :shrug:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

From day one, capitalism is never as benevolent as Stardew Valley

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
i only keep animals as long as i need them for bundles. unless i luck upon a dino egg. in that case its dinosaur farm.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
"oh but farming dinosaur eggs are barely profitable compared to starfruit wine, even w/ the dinomajo update" you might say

well, life finds a way

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I don't give a poo poo about profit my brewery takes care of that I just let the dinosaurs roam free

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
"low effort daily cash" kind of makes me ??? if i'm honest

low effort to me is throwing seeds down under sprinklers and loving off for a week, the daily portion of it never struck me as super valuable except for the first summer, when money coming in daily means you can spend it faster on stuff you definitely require in order to expand operations.

and yowza at the idea of running any large scale animal operation by y1 summer.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I have lots of animals on my farm because I like animals and I would play an exclusively animal version of one of these farming games if I could.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
If there is ever a time a game stops being a capitalism simulator then it was never a capitalism simulator. Number MUST go up.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Hellioning posted:

I have lots of animals on my farm because I like animals and I would play an exclusively animal version of one of these farming games if I could.

:hai:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Hellioning posted:

this is the unequivocally correct answer

if you like having lots of animals, have lots of animals

it's Stardew Valley, you play the way you wanna play and if anyone else doesn't like it they can gently caress off to their own drat farm

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i like to sleep immediately on waking each day, never leaving the farmhouse, and i also like doing this on Stardew

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Thank you for all the pig names everyone!

I think SV expanded has killed my most recent game. For some reason the mod feels the need to make the bus ride to the desert take forever.

Less annoyingly but no less bizarrely, the mod also felt the need to re-arrange the entire desert map.

At first SV expanded starts off pretty cool. It's more of the SV that we all love. But then you start to notice little things. It takes awhile though, I made it all the way to my second year.

The new farm is a micro-cosm of the mod. It's mostly cool and awesome. It looks good, it's got more space, it's reasonably well laid out. But there are large areas that you can't plant trees in for no discernable reason. The cave was moved much, much further away. To the point where I didn't even find it until W1. The new cave is cool, it's got a second cave that spawns free semi-precious stone like fools gold, but I never go there because its so far away. Everything except the main area, including the barn segment, is awkwardly shaped. It's so large that even in Year 2, I haven't explored all of it, there's just no reason to and it takes days to clear a path to any of the interesting areas.

Most of the new space it adds is doomed to remain empty forever. It would take me years to get enough sprinklers to cover it all, and by the time I could, I wouldn't want to anymore. It's nice to have options, but it mostly just means it takes longer to get to the areas I'm interested. There's also some weird ruined building that I thought would eventually trigger a quest or something, but it never did. It's just a ruin. Forever.

The new south map where Leah is has been modified to make room for one of the new characters, and something in the process nerfed spring onion spawning. There's a whole extra forest area attached to it that spawns almost no forageables and doesn't seem to do anything but provide more trees, of which there are already too many to cut them all down even though I gave it my best effort for a week straight.

The mod also seems to have broken most of the secrets and note-driven exploration.

Bogart posted:

I hunger for pepper poppers and that means I need cows.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 17, 2020

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I tried SVE and came to a similar conclusion in about an hour of running around and removed it. The game really does not benefit from just adding a bunch of empty space for the sake of adding it. Travel and exploration is not something to lean into when you’re daylight-limited like these games are. Once the novelty wears off, it’s just pure negative.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Bifauxnen posted:

From day one, capitalism is never as benevolent as Stardew Valley

I'm amazed the townsfolk are so confused by Linus. In half a day's foraging or fishing you can eat for a week, and that even still applies in winter. It's also piss easy to shake enough trees to make arbitrary survival snackbars. Linus has everything he needs to be as comfortable as anyone else in Stardew world where nobody gets cold outside in the snow. Realistically given what prepared food and ingredients to make it with cost in Stardew and the general return on labor from working, Linus probably has BETTER overall nutrition and general access to food than most of the villagers. No wonder he's who rescues you from the mine if you get clobbered; he's probably the only villager swole enough to, despite the tall tales from the two grandpas in the "adventurer's guild."

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

This SVE news is disappointing but I guess it's really a mod for fans who just want a bigger world to explore and play with. I'm still going to give it a shot but my expectations are tempered now.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I usually play with 2 mods that slightly increase my movement speed and the length of the day. Unaltered 10 mins in game time is 7 seconds and I changed it to 9 seconds. I always felt the day was just slightly too short and I found 9 seconds feels about right. I did have it at 11 seconds for a while but then the game started to break when I would spend that time fishing. I think with movement speed I increased it by 1 so its like I have a permenant coffee buff. That speed feels like what it should have been and even getting a speed buff or on a horse doesn't make you fly around the world at mach 10. That speed is reserved for when I get my cooking skill to 10 and get double buffs from food. At that point eating pepper poppers and jumping on your horse is so fast its almost hard to control. That's end game poo poo though when it doesn't really matter anymore.

Doing those things makes SVE a bit more accesible.

LLSix posted:

The new farm is a micro-cosm of the mod. It's mostly cool and awesome. It looks good, it's got more space, it's reasonably well laid out. But there are large areas that you can't plant trees in for no discernable reason. The cave was moved much, much further away. To the point where I didn't even find it until W1. The new cave is cool, it's got a second cave that spawns free semi-precious stone like fools gold, but I never go there because its so far away. Everything except the main area, including the barn segment, is awkwardly shaped. It's so large that even in Year 2, I haven't explored all of it, there's just no reason to and it takes days to clear a path to any of the interesting areas.

Most of the new space it adds is doomed to remain empty forever. It would take me years to get enough sprinklers to cover it all, and by the time I could, I wouldn't want to anymore. It's nice to have options, but it mostly just means it takes longer to get to the areas I'm interested. There's also some weird ruined building that I thought would eventually trigger a quest or something, but it never did. It's just a ruin. Forever.

I'm pretty sure that ruined building gets fixed when the greenhouse does. Its just a shed so its not a big deal.

You can go into the farm map's config file and change some values so that shed and various fences are gone. I think you can also increase the farmable land as well. I agree the map is still too big and its not like more farm land is needed. I do like the quarry, lost woods like area, and hot springs that you can access directly from the farm.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/theBaylorJ/status/1329879930956615686

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Think I got carpal tunnel from just looking at the old keyboard placement

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Looks dangerous. Cranking up the spring theme might cause the cups to fall off the desk and onto the lap.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Finished the joja run. W2, all hail cranberries. The little movie was nice although no one got punched, but it was much shorter than the CC vid so that could be good or bad depending on how you feel about those. As a reward for your apathy and naked pursuit of profit you get a jojacola machine that doesn't actually spit out soda. 5/10. A perfectly adequate outcome.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Guildenstern Mother posted:

As a reward for your apathy and naked pursuit of profit you get a jojacola machine that doesn't actually spit out soda. 5/10. A perfectly adequate outcome.
Hm, it should give you one soda can each day.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I feel like "5/10. A perfectly adequate outcome" is basically the JojaCorp slogan, so

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dwesa posted:

Hm, it should give you one soda can each day.
You should be able to stock it with joja cola from your inventory and autosell it to the townsfolk for slightly above market price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I just started a new run and it has rained pretty much all of Summer 1. Does the RNG love me, or is this a new feature, or can it tell that I may have edited my save file?