Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

subscribe to my Patreon for more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It is funny Stalin ended up being the architect of Marxist-Leninism when one of Lenin's last acts was to advocate for his immediate removal from power

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

the zoomers are hopeless

it's a funny joke

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

indigi posted:

I truly can’t believe people are talking about the holodomor in 2020 as a “genocide” like it wasn’t a famine that got spun into a Nazi propaganda creation that was popularized by William Randolph Hearst and was widely debunked in American popular culture by the 50s. what a time to be alive

Ukranian Bandarists have outsized influence in Canada to the point where there is a public monument to a SS division and they want to build a Victims of Communism monument literally in front of the Holocaust Memorial.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The "all lives matter" of anti-imperialism

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Anyway here's a hot take:

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1327355628722020352

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
obama had such lovely people working for him its no suprise trump came after

https://twitter.com/Capricciola/status/1328201362245623809?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/LizMair/status/1328329844543934465?s=20

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Remember, the reason I started the race war was Paul’s instructions on helter skelter. And Dennis Wilson was right there with me.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

he's half-right. it's not leftists in general that are like this, just tankies

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Its Coke posted:

absent any extra information, immediately going against the united states' side during a geopolitical conflict is almost always the right move. The one exception I can see is the second world war, where they were aligned with communists due to fascism picking a fight with everyone.

Even the guys they try to prop up to overthrow dictators tend to be worse than the dictators they are replacing.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ardent Communist posted:

absent any extra information, immediately going against the united states' side during a geopolitical conflict is almost always the right move.

Oh I so I suppose you would have taken Hi

quote:

The one exception I can see is the second world war, where they were aligned with communists due to fascism picking a fight with everyone.

Even the guys they try to prop up to overthrow dictators tend to be worse than the dictators they are replacing.

Cut me off at the pass. :smith:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Ardent Communist posted:

absent any extra information, immediately going against the united states' side during a geopolitical conflict is almost always the right move. The one exception I can see is the second world war, where they were aligned with communists due to fascism picking a fight with everyone.

The second world war, where the communists aligned with the US after their Fascist allies betrayed them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean they weren’t really allies unless you think the UK were their allies after the Chamberlain treaty

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Its Coke posted:

What, the anarchists are extremely like this at all times

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean they weren’t really allies unless you think the UK were their allies after the Chamberlain treaty

The Soviets let the Nazis use their territory to develop their tanks and tank tactics, in defiance of the Versailles treaty. They then teamed up and invaded Poland together. Call it an alliance or a very special friendship but the Soviets were very helpful to the rise of the Nazis.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I am not going to call it something it isn’t nah

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I am not going to call it something it isn’t nah

What would you call it then? Were they Pact Pals? Was it a tank test tie-up? A Poland pulverizing pair? They were, at the very least, highly coordinated co-belligerents vs Poland.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!
America had to be dragged into fighting the nazis and technically only did so because year ally, Japan, attacked them. The father and grandfather of future presidents lovef them so much he refused to stop selling them war materials.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

America had to be dragged into fighting the nazis and technically only did so because year ally, Japan, attacked them. The father and grandfather of future presidents lovef them so much he refused to stop selling them war materials.

America didn't declare war but did provide substantial aid to anti-Nazi countries prior to Pearl Harbor, which is sub-optimal but at least it's not actually pro-Nazi, as the Soviets were right up until Barbarossa.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

thekeeshman posted:

The Soviets let the Nazis use their territory to develop their tanks and tank tactics, in defiance of the Versailles treaty. They then teamed up and invaded Poland together. Call it an alliance or a very special friendship but the Soviets were very helpful to the rise of the Nazis.

Yeah, that's what a moron thinks about the pre-war relationship between Germany and the Soviet Union. You're ignoring (either out of ignorance or because you're arguing in bad faith) that Stalin tried to get multiple alliances against Germany, with France, Great Britain, even Poland. That last one is surprising, because Poland's government was massively anti-soviet, and both sides had bad blood because of what happened during the revolution.
Then it's also ignoring how Stalin made overtures during that whole appeasement thing to stop Hitler, since Czechoslovakia could have withstood Germany far better than Poland, both due to more defensible borders and more tanks (it's helpful to remember how much stronger the german tank forces got once they could implement all those tanks into their forces).
Then it's ignoring that if Stalin didn't invade Poland (some stalinists like to argue that since the government had left the country by the time the Red army invaded it wasn't an invasion, but I don't bother) then Germany, who was already winning handily in Poland, would have moved the borders that much further east. That border being moved west both helped the Soviet Union put more land between Germany and their major population centres, and the Jewish population in those areas who were able to be moved east when Barbarossa happened.

Basically all of Stalin's action between the wars should be seen in the light that he was doing everything he could to prepare to strengthen and defend the Soviet Union for the war that many people could see coming. The results speak for themselves.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Ardent Communist posted:

Yeah, that's what a moron thinks about the pre-war relationship between Germany and the Soviet Union. You're ignoring (either out of ignorance or because you're arguing in bad faith) that Stalin tried to get multiple alliances against Germany, with France, Great Britain, even Poland. That last one is surprising, because Poland's government was massively anti-soviet, and both sides had bad blood because of what happened during the revolution.
Then it's also ignoring how Stalin made overtures during that whole appeasement thing to stop Hitler, since Czechoslovakia could have withstood Germany far better than Poland, both due to more defensible borders and more tanks (it's helpful to remember how much stronger the german tank forces got once they could implement all those tanks into their forces).
Then it's ignoring that if Stalin didn't invade Poland (some stalinists like to argue that since the government had left the country by the time the Red army invaded it wasn't an invasion, but I don't bother) then Germany, who was already winning handily in Poland, would have moved the borders that much further east. That border being moved west both helped the Soviet Union put more land between Germany and their major population centres, and the Jewish population in those areas who were able to be moved east when Barbarossa happened.

Basically all of Stalin's action between the wars should be seen in the light that he was doing everything he could to prepare to strengthen and defend the Soviet Union for the war that many people could see coming. The results speak for themselves.

The invasion of Poland was literally the thing which brought the UK and France into the war against Germany, which Stalin knew would happen since they had guaranteed Poland's safety. If Stalin was so worried about Hitler, he could have joined the war on the Allies' side at that point, so it would have been UK, France, Poland, and the Soviets vs the Nazis and Italy, which might have had a chance.

Instead he helped the Nazis neutralize Poland, which freed up Nazi resources to deal with the French and British, after which the Nazis were able to concentrate their forces against the Soviets since they had eliminated every land opponent in Europe (again, with Soviet help). Stalin passed up the chance to actually do something about Nazi expansion and aggression when they were comparatively weak and chose instead to ally with the Nazis and help them invade another country.

I would also point out that the invasion of Poland becomes a riskier proposition without Soviet help, since they would have to deal with all of Poland as well as the entry of Britain and France, and that the Soviet alliance might have been the factor which made the Nazis decide to go ahead in the first place. The Soviets were so ashamed of their own behavior that they denied the existence of the pact until 1989, despite the German copies having been published soon after the war's end.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > C-SPAM: it means clown spam > Hot Takes: If Stalin was so worried about Hitler,

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

thekeeshman posted:

The invasion of Poland was literally the thing which brought the UK and France into the war against Germany, which Stalin knew would happen since they had guaranteed Poland's safety. If Stalin was so worried about Hitler, he could have joined the war on the Allies' side at that point, so it would have been UK, France, Poland, and the Soviets vs the Nazis and Italy, which might have had a chance.

Instead he helped the Nazis neutralize Poland, which freed up Nazi resources to deal with the French and British, after which the Nazis were able to concentrate their forces against the Soviets since they had eliminated every land opponent in Europe (again, with Soviet help). Stalin passed up the chance to actually do something about Nazi expansion and aggression when they were comparatively weak and chose instead to ally with the Nazis and help them invade another country.

I would also point out that the invasion of Poland becomes a riskier proposition without Soviet help, since they would have to deal with all of Poland as well as the entry of Britain and France, and that the Soviet alliance might have been the factor which made the Nazis decide to go ahead in the first place. The Soviets were so ashamed of their own behavior that they denied the existence of the pact until 1989, despite the German copies having been published soon after the war's end.

source your quotes

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
hey everyone I found a really crazy hot take!

thekeeshman posted:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat that’s hosed up. turns out people who use “tankie” unironically have lots of bad brained dogshit clogging up the pipes

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

thekeeshman posted:

The second world war, where the communists aligned with the US after their Fascist allies betrayed them.

how do you still arrive at this thought process after 2020? lib brain cobwebs have to be cleaned out or you will be lost to time and space

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
take I just came up with: 95% of the time if an article says "that's a good thing," it's not

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

How did Romania end up in the Axis instead of aligned with France anyway?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ardent Communist posted:

If Stalin really was doing everything he could to prepare for inevitable war with Germany you'd have thought he'd have been less surprised by military intelligence telling him the Nazis were about to invade and enacted countermeasures for that long anticipated event before they actually invaded his country

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

multijoe posted:

If Stalin really was doing everything he could to prepare for inevitable war with Germany you'd have thought he'd have been less surprised by military intelligence telling him the Nazis were about to invade and enacted countermeasures for that long anticipated event before they actually invaded his country

what do you think moving all industry to the ural mountains about? Do you think it was all spontaneous?

how is your concept of time and space btw?

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

multijoe posted:

Or he was trying to buy as much time as he could, and he knew that once you start mobilizing for war, you can't stop, and anybody that was thinking of invading will definitely do it the second you start mobilizing. But you're right, he wasn't infallible and the sheer shock stopped him from acting for a couple days. Luckily all the other preparations he and the soviet people had done proved enough to overcome the largest invasion force in history.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

multijoe posted:

read a book about the Eastern front of World War II please :)

Ardent Communist posted:

But you're right, he wasn't infallible and the sheer shock stopped him from acting for a couple days.

nope :)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Could you guys get your own story straight before you queue up to tell me why I'm wrong at least?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

multijoe posted:

Could you guys get your own story straight before you queue up to tell me why I'm wrong at least?

you're extremely confident about something you've demonstrated profound ignorance about :)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

indigi posted:

you're extremely confident about something you've demonstrated profound ignorance about :)

:)

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Frosted Flake posted:

How did Romania end up in the Axis instead of aligned with France anyway?

The Romanian king instituted a royal dictatorship in 1938 and aligned himself with domestic fascists, which led to a lot of internal politicking about a military confrontation with the USSR and when the breakdown of the defensive treaty Romania had with Poland when the Poles got invaded let Romania remain a neutral power, they got first-hand knowledge of exactly what a treaty with France would have been worth in 1940. The Soviet Union wasn't too pleased to be neighbors with a fascist-sympathizing absolute monarchy and Romania had already had a big kerfuffle over refusing Soviets military access through the country in a theoretical Soviet-German war over Czechoslovakia, so their options there were extremely limited on the eastern front. So they couldn't remain neutral, because they were an oil exporter and any kind of modern war would necessarily require access to the Romanian oilfields or the denial of them to the enemy, they couldn't be a part of the allies because France had just gotten steamrolled and Britain couldn't do poo poo on the continent, they had a bad history with the Soviets who were very interested in making parts of the Romanian border part of the Moldovan SSR, so the only option left was ally with the rest of their neighbors in the Axis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Malleum posted:

The Romanian king instituted a royal dictatorship in 1938 and aligned himself with domestic fascists, which led to a lot of internal politicking about a military confrontation with the USSR and when the breakdown of the defensive treaty Romania had with Poland when the Poles got invaded let Romania remain a neutral power, they got first-hand knowledge of exactly what a treaty with France would have been worth in 1940. The Soviet Union wasn't too pleased to be neighbors with a fascist-sympathizing absolute monarchy and Romania had already had a big kerfuffle over refusing Soviets military access through the country in a theoretical Soviet-German war over Czechoslovakia, so their options there were extremely limited on the eastern front. So they couldn't remain neutral, because they were an oil exporter and any kind of modern war would necessarily require access to the Romanian oilfields or the denial of them to the enemy, they couldn't be a part of the allies because France had just gotten steamrolled and Britain couldn't do poo poo on the continent, they had a bad history with the Soviets who were very interested in making parts of the Romanian border part of the Moldovan SSR, so the only option left was ally with the rest of their neighbors in the Axis.

antifa kept calling Romania fascist so they were like, if you are going to be mean to me i might as well commit genocide

and then they did