Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

minya posted:

What are the chances of me being able to buy a Series S at retail price between now and Christmas? Or is that anyone's guess at this point?

There were quite a few available on release day at Costco bundled with those Seagate game drives. I've been quite happy with mine so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
Cool, good info, thanks everyone.

I haven't owned an Xbox since the 360 (which I enjoyed). Been a PS4 and now lately almost exclusively Switch kind of guy. New Xbox doesn't really seem to have much that I feel like I must play, but I doubt I will be buying a PS5 until at least 18 months from now, and my thinking is that a Series S plus Game Pass would be a great and affordable way to play a bunch of different games until there is a PS exclusive that I simply MUST buy. Thoughts?

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

minya posted:

Thoughts?

I'm very much in the same boat as you. I had a 360 back in college days but traded it for a PS3, then a PS4 and Switch. I got the Game Pass on PC originally for Flight Simulator, but just loved the concept and wanted it on console. With all these other ways to play games and me still wanting some kind of access in the new console gen, I thought the Series S made sense.

So far it's mainly been a Yakuza machine since I hadn't played Kiwami 2 before. However it's been a lot of fun discovering other new games like Carrion, Demon's Tilt, Bloodstained, Forza Horizon 4, Tetris... I look forward to more games getting optimized for X/S!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

You can get in the rewards program without a credit card. Activating a new console and buying some digital games got me enough credit for 30 dollars in gift cards

how do you activate a ps5 for rewards or is it automatic

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Super No Vacancy posted:

how do you activate a ps5 for rewards or is it automatic

idk but right after i logged into the console i got an email from sony rewards (which i never got since i signed up years ago, they never sent me anything ever, saying my purchases got me all these new reward points)

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Does anyone here have experience with Microsoft.com preorders? They just put another hold on my card for the series X and I was wondering if this is like a weekly thing or if something is happening.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think it’s Walmart that specifically have them out but can’t sell them until Black Friday. Pretty crummy as the last thing anyone needs this year is the traditional BF rush, but might be an option.

Walmart will have more on Black Friday, but it's online only.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Grey posted:

Walmart will have more on Black Friday, but it's online only.

Weird, people are literally seeing them locked up on shop floors and the staff can’t sell them until next Friday they’ve been told.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

How exactly does Game Pass work? Like, do the games available rotate every month, or is there a permanent library/backlog available to play, or some of column A some of column B?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

minya posted:

How exactly does Game Pass work? Like, do the games available rotate every month, or is there a permanent library/backlog available to play, or some of column A some of column B?

1st party games are always permanent, but 3rd party titles seem to stay up for 3 - 6 months. Its about 100+ games total. Its a very nice library of actually really good titles.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I was just screwing around with Devil May Cry 5 SE and looking at some clips I realized that the lighting and shadows actually look better in game with RT turned on than they do during the per-rendered cutscenes. RT is neat.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

I said come in! posted:

1st party games are always permanent, but 3rd party titles seem to stay up for 3 - 6 months. Its about 100+ games total. Its a very nice library of actually really good titles.

Cool... more I think about it more it seems like Series S + Gamepass is the right choice for right now until 3 years down the line when Bloodborne 2 comes out and I gotta buy that PS5

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

EL BROMANCE posted:

She's now in the "I can buy something frivolous that I want and he can't moan" stage.

She's always buying frivolous things. One time she took my car to Washington to buy $900 worth of christmas decorations and also failed to pay a toll for which I got a ticket in the mail. Just how it is, bro. We only talk about what I do "wrong".

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

If you buy the Master Chief Collection do you have to install everything or can you pick and choose what games to install? I'm out of my mind and just miss Halo 4 multiplayer and was thinking about grabbing Reach as well for the Firefight mode.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

mcc has an ingame “choose what to install menu” for every title.

Begin downloading mcc and as soon as you get that ready to start prompt boot it up, you’ll see what i mean

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Gutcruncher posted:

How many gigs does it take off the game? It really sucks that MK11 takes up like 100 gigs most likely just because of a mode that has no use to me after my first playthrough.

It's a 46 gig install for just the game. The story mode is an additional 20 gigs while the 4k version is 40.

I don't know what happens if you choose both to be installed.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Lube Enthusiast posted:

mcc has an ingame “choose what to install menu” for every title.

Begin downloading mcc and as soon as you get that ready to start prompt boot it up, you’ll see what i mean

Thanks for the info :)

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The upgraded Master Chief Collection seems to be playable on an external drive, which makes sense I guess.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

otter posted:

She's always buying frivolous things. One time she took my car to Washington to buy $900 worth of christmas decorations and also failed to pay a toll for which I got a ticket in the mail. Just how it is, bro. We only talk about what I do "wrong".

Yeah but the Christmas decorations are for the family, the Xbox is only for you (let's ignore that I use it nearly everyday to watch YouTube TV, but alas)!

How accurate was I?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

otter posted:

Sounds like a healthy relationship!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Sounds like a good old 90's sitcom marriage to me!

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
After using Nintendo and sony controllers one thing I can't as easy go without is motion aiming, it makes shooters so much nicer in console. Shame that Microsoft has yet to add motion controls to the xbox controller.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Anyone else ever move countries and have trouble redeeming codes from your new country? I thought everything is fine until I used my one X/ps4 trade ins for digital currency/game pass ultimate and found out my console still thinks it's in Canada. Apparently Microsoft and Xbox live are two separate accounts and the latter won't let me change countries but doesn't tell me why?

I've had no problems with regular purchases - even DLC from Aus and Canada on the same game.

Even a semi competent phone support person was stumped.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Anyone else ever move countries and have trouble redeeming codes from your new country? I thought everything is fine until I used my one X/ps4 trade ins for digital currency/game pass ultimate and found out my console still thinks it's in Canada. Apparently Microsoft and Xbox live are two separate accounts and the latter won't let me change countries but doesn't tell me why?

I've had no problems with regular purchases - even DLC from Aus and Canada on the same game.

Even a semi competent phone support person was stumped.

When I changed my account from Portugal to US in 2018 it took an army of support agents to get everything changed, changing the xbox live part of it can be tricky and if you gently caress up changing it locks you out for a long time.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-expects-xbox-series-x-xbox-series-s-may-have-limited-availability-until-april-2021

Microsoft expects Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S may have limited availability until April 2021
Unprecedented demand for video games means a shortage of consoles.

Guess I have some time left for this backlog then.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Weird, people are literally seeing them locked up on shop floors and the staff can’t sell them until next Friday they’ve been told.

Well, this is Walmart's Black Friday ad. How do you interpret this? You can buy a PS5/Xbox online on 11/25 at 7 PM? Then also Friday online at midnight and in store at 5 AM?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
This still appears to be the thread for New Xboxen? Goodie. I have two questions.

1) Could someone who has one (S or X, don't care) AND has Earth Defense Force 2017, pop it in and see if it fixes the slowdown issues that were on the 360? (Or maybe these were resolved with 2013-2020 xbox models?)

2) I'm fairly sure there's no answer to this, but I, a previous Xbone owner, would like to know what games I have rights to before I consider buying a new Xbox. I have no current xboxes outside of a 360 in a literal box in the basement. I'm looking for somewhere online to see this. https://account.microsoft.com/billing/orders/ shows orders (ie you paid $$) but NOT entitlements such as free GwG stuff. I can find no such current functional URL For this, and I'd rather not buy a new xbox just to find out what games I opted in to when I had gold.

Thanks!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1328565523760640000?s=19

So the patch is now live. But how does the patch work? Is it on all the included games?

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Windows Central has hands-on with xCloud on Windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhT-OBk_nEs

falz posted:

This still appears to be the thread for New Xboxen? Goodie. I have two questions.

1) Could someone who has one (S or X, don't care) AND has Earth Defense Force 2017, pop it in and see if it fixes the slowdown issues that were on the 360? (Or maybe these were resolved with 2013-2020 xbox models?)

I played it a while back on my Xbox One X and thought it ran better than on 360. I didn't play enough to say that the slowdown was completely gone or anything.

quote:

2) I'm fairly sure there's no answer to this, but I, a previous Xbone owner, would like to know what games I have rights to before I consider buying a new Xbox. I have no current xboxes outside of a 360 in a literal box in the basement. I'm looking for somewhere online to see this. https://account.microsoft.com/billing/orders/ shows orders (ie you paid $$) but NOT entitlements such as free GwG stuff. I can find no such current functional URL For this, and I'd rather not buy a new xbox just to find out what games I opted in to when I had gold.

I don't think this exists, unfortunately.

Detective No. 27 posted:

So the patch is now live. But how does the patch work? Is it on all the included games?

I believe the patch affects every game.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Detective No. 27 posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1328565523760640000?s=19

Is anybody tracking bets about what 343 hosed up this time? I'm sure it will be broken in new and innovative ways.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It loads you into the E3 demo for Halo 2

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I'm thinking that there is no real point in me getting a Series model at present.

I've got one of the original Xbox one's and my TV is not an amazing one. Just a regular cheap 1080p TV.

I'm trying to figure out if I just trade in my one for a One X as that should suffice until I have a better TV.

Thoughts?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Tsietisin posted:

I'm thinking that there is no real point in me getting a Series model at present.

I've got one of the original Xbox one's and my TV is not an amazing one. Just a regular cheap 1080p TV.

I'm trying to figure out if I just trade in my one for a One X as that should suffice until I have a better TV.

Thoughts?

whatever you do don't get the base model unless it is the ps5 base

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Tsietisin posted:

Thoughts?

Don't get a One X now especially if you have a regular Xbox One, it's not going to let you play any more games, in a year or two you're going to have to get a Series to play anything new.

The Series S would be fine for you if you're ok being digital only, it's targeting 1080p.

The Series X will still look better even on a 1080p TV also, everything just gets supersampled down.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tsietisin posted:

Thoughts?

In theory the Series S is what you want since its a next gen system targeting 1080p tvs like yours. Given that its 300 dollars for one of these and the One X isn't even in production anymore, that seems the smarter of those options. That said the Series X will downsample to 1080p and has more headroom to provide 60fps to the point where Id be hard pressed not to recommend that.

Ill also say it, the majority of what makes this generation, both PS5 and Series feel next gen is the loading times sweet god you can't go back.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Celexi posted:

whatever you do don't get the base model unless it is the ps5 base

to add to this don't get a xbox one x, you won't be able to play new games on it in a year or so.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Tsietisin posted:

Thoughts?

I agree with the above answers. I don't think getting a One X over a Series S at this point makes much sense.

Maybe watch this thing DF released yesterday that I think shows well how the S is a solid machine with certain caveats:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94O6o6yOGgA

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Twerk from Home posted:

Is anybody tracking bets about what 343 hosed up this time? I'm sure it will be broken in new and innovative ways.

It's just Halo Infinite.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Tsietisin posted:

The Bone X is just a souped up Bone, if you're getting anything new get a Series or a PS5. The Series S wipes the floor with the Bone X.

falz posted:

First thing I did with mine: boot 2017, equip C70 and genocide gun, load the penultimate mission. Noticed no slowdown from what little I tested.

Now someone please do this but for the PS5 and EDFs 4.1 and 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Speaking of EDF and being a lifelong Xbox whore, if there's an announced EDF for PS5 but not xbox unfortunately I know the choice I must make.