Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

The Fattest PI posted:

I think I'm at the point where some training things would be very useful but I get so loving bored and have no investment while trying to jump off a wall and carry a ball 30,000 times in a row

for me, I know that I could 100% get better if I did training videos and etc., but I also refuse to treat this game as anything other than a game. I don't need a second job/sport/whatever to deal with to take up the limited game time I already have, and I'm good enough that I have fun and flirt with the line between Plat and Diamond. so I just play a couple games and occasionally I feel like I get better at things. if people want to train themselves to get to the next level or whatever then good on them but I can't see the enjoyment there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I know what you mean and that's definitely a part of it too.
It is super fun and exciting to do crazy cool poo poo in the game. I don't know what it is about this loving game I get so into it like even just a regular zero stakes game I get worked up and will practically jump out of my chair and hold my breath on big shots and that kinda poo poo. I've knocked my chair over before and fallen over. On real tough or cool goals I go nuts and the more that happens the more fun it is. So as I slowly improve those moments happen more which is neat.

Tournament question: Is it possible to queue for the tournament and have your party members join after? Sometimes I want to secure a spot while they're logging in because they're always full. I doubt it

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
yeah, this is really the first game I ever used the share features for on the PS4, and this is still one of my favourite moments:

https://youtu.be/MRK_kMbo5Wo

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Rocket league is one of the best examples of emergent gameplay and I think that's part of what makes it so good. You can have 2000 hours logged and still see/do something new.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

The Fattest PI posted:

I know what you mean and that's definitely a part of it too.
It is super fun and exciting to do crazy cool poo poo in the game. I don't know what it is about this loving game I get so into it like even just a regular zero stakes game I get worked up and will practically jump out of my chair and hold my breath on big shots and that kinda poo poo. I've knocked my chair over before and fallen over. On real tough or cool goals I go nuts and the more that happens the more fun it is. So as I slowly improve those moments happen more which is neat.

Tournament question: Is it possible to queue for the tournament and have your party members join after? Sometimes I want to secure a spot while they're logging in because they're always full. I doubt it

No, if your party size changes you have to re-queue.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Well I've just been playing ranked and making a one-sided effort to play more... slowly? That's not quite the right word. Purposefully. Not just banging the ball about. I've scraped my way out of silver in 3/2/1s. I've hit a few more aerial goals/clears with actual intent which is like, 20% better skill than I had in my previous post here.

One of my favorite things at the silver/gold border is when the ball is getting nudged around the corner by 5 players while I sit back and wait for an opportune rebound. I've seen it last 30 seconds in there gently rolling from bumper to bumper

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Omnikin posted:

Well I've just been playing ranked and making a one-sided effort to play more... slowly? That's not quite the right word. Purposefully. Not just banging the ball about. I've scraped my way out of silver in 3/2/1s. I've hit a few more aerial goals/clears with actual intent which is like, 20% better skill than I had in my previous post here.

One of my favorite things at the silver/gold border is when the ball is getting nudged around the corner by 5 players while I sit back and wait for an opportune rebound. I've seen it last 30 seconds in there gently rolling from bumper to bumper

That feeling of purpose is what got me into platinum. My aim sucks, and I do any cool stuff like (air) dribbles or whatever, but I always seem to be in the right place at the right time. I think you get that feeling when you start seeing what the ball and other players are doing and act accordingly. Coincidentally, just now I was playing with a kid from work and we were talking about this. Even though he's quite a bit better than me technically, his ball control and aim is superior to mine, I still outplay him just because I have a better sense of positioning and tactics.

I give it a month, though, and he'll be the one outplaying me.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Omnikin posted:

One of my favorite things at the silver/gold border is when the ball is getting nudged around the corner by 5 players

This never ends, btw.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Do you guys prefer 3s/2s/1on1? I think I have a preference towards 2s, it eliminates a ton of the wild "smash the ball always" play in 3s but doesn't quite hang you out to dry for thinking about committing like in 1on1

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
2s if i'm playing well, 3s if i'm playing bad. so mainly 3s.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Roflex posted:

This never ends, btw.

Confirmed still happens in high plat/low diamond. Except its usually just 2 cars from one team instead of all 5 of the other cars on the field.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

This weekly challenge of scoring 1000+ points in a single game is going to be drat near impossible unless you're playing 1v1, right?

I admittedly play a pretty boring positional game that doesn't lead to high scoring games, but I don't think I've seen anyone hit anywhere near that mark playing standard or snow day.

fancy stats fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 18, 2020

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
It's true you can get a long way by doing the same kind of things you already do but thinking more about how you do them. You're going to have to learn some mechanics at some points, like if you're determined to never aerial then in Diamond you might go entire games without getting any real chances on the ball. Going for opportunities that actually make something happen rather than just hitting it because you can hit it will help at any rank. It's not even about always making the best play, it's just about not rushing into the bad decisions you can, making sure you're not making the worst play possible.

I'd like to be better at 1v1; it really demands all the things I don't do well and making any mistakes leaves you out to dry. Consistency and accuracy are important, winning challenges and knowing when you can or can't beat your opponent, and more specifically mechanics like fake challenges and shadow defense which do get used in team modes but are substantial parts of not being outplayed in 1v1.

In 3v3 you don't often have time and space to slow down and do anything clever, because you're always 0.6 seconds away from someone on either team just plowing into the ball. 2v2 gives you this space to a degree but you're still going to get smashed aside if you try some kind of slow dribble play when you think you have someone beat. And of course you've always got a teammate to fall back on if you do make that bad challenge or hit that goes off the wall in the wrong way.

fancy stats posted:

This weekly challenge of scoring 1000+ points in a single game is going to be drat near impossible unless you're playing 1v1, right?

I admittedly play a pretty boring positional game that doesn't lead to high scoring games, but I don't think I've seen anyone hit anywhere near that mark playing standard or snow day.

It's doable in 1v1 with like six goals and a handful of saves, clears, etc. But you don't want to be winning too hard! If there's not much time left and you're up by too many goals, or if they're just throwing super hard, 1v1 players will just drop the game and move on to the next one.

Your other option is Dropshot, if you have some aerial ability. Damage can get you a lot of points quite quickly. I wouldn't bother with any other mode for that challenge.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

I got it (and last week's 1100 one) in Dropshot. Just spike the ball into the ground a lot, and it's not too hard. You don't even have to win the match!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

fancy stats posted:

Yeah, I singlehandedly won a game of Snow Day yesterday with 6 goals and a save or two, and topped out around 800 points so I'm thinking 1v1 is the way to go for that challenge. Which sucks, because 1v1 isn't fun at all.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

fancy stats posted:

I got it in 1v1. I'm a silver/gold newer player. I stayed in goal each kick off and tried to get a save. It was easier for me to get points via save than score. Only took me a few tries, but lower ranked 1v1 might be easier for running up score?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Hotshot was an easy way to top 1000, the games maxed out at 7 goals so if you just dominated the scoring for your team and got a save or two per serve it could easily get you there.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Baron von Eevl posted:

Hotshot was an easy way to top 1000, the games maxed out at 7 goals so if you just dominated the scoring for your team and got a save or two per serve it could easily get you there.

Yeah if you camped net (and were good at making saves) you could easily get 1500-2000 points in heatseeker.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Omnikin posted:

Do you guys prefer 3s/2s/1on1? I think I have a preference towards 2s, it eliminates a ton of the wild "smash the ball always" play in 3s but doesn't quite hang you out to dry for thinking about committing like in 1on1

I play a lot of 1's lately. It started because I was losing 2's games because I didn't know what to do 1 on 1. Thinking back, I'm not sure it helped that at all because the plan is still "drive into the 50/50" instead of getting the ball around them. Anyway, it's a great chance to get someone on the internet absolutely infuriated, often with better than 50/50 odds it's them and not you. Any quick chat at all? We're watching every replay. Complain about demos? 100% demo plays, all the time.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
anyone want to party up and grind out the "play 30 matches in a party" challenge?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Phone posted:

anyone want to party up and grind out the "play 30 matches in a party" challenge?

Join the discord, there are plenty of people at nearly any skill level who are willing to party up

https://discord.com/invite/KktXNnP

bengy81
May 8, 2010
So is it just me or does the "Earn 19 MVP honors in any extra modes playlist" seem impossible?

Also lol at having to play 4 tournaments, I feel really bad for inflicting myself on the good players that do those things.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

bengy81 posted:

So is it just me or does the "Earn 19 MVP honors in any extra modes playlist" seem impossible?

Also lol at having to play 4 tournaments, I feel really bad for inflicting myself on the good players that do those things.

Its only 10 MVPs but yeah, it can be tough if you're not used to them. If you're not bronze then Hoops may be the easiest since there's only 2 people per team, so you're more likely to get MVP statistically.

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

pik_d posted:

Its only 10 MVPs but yeah, it can be tough if you're not used to them. If you're not bronze then Hoops may be the easiest since there's only 2 people per team, so you're more likely to get MVP statistically.

Yeah I rarely get MVP as it is because my mechanics are bad while my positioning etc is good, so I tend to prevent scoring chances more than anything else and don't get many points. All of the MVP challenges have been a real struggle for me, although the "score more than 1000 points" challenge was harder (impossible)

Regardless, I managed to get MVP 5 times in the last couple days playing Hoops, starting from unranked, so there is hope!

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Hoops might be the trick, I've played a ton of dropshot, so I can kind of do air stuff.

I hope they change it like they did with the tourney one, make it across all modes or something.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Yeah hoops can be real fun, especially when you get some redirects to come off

https://media.gifyourgame.com/ConstrainedPressingAutarchgulooljaja_720p.mp4

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

u_s_eh posted:

although the "score more than 1000 points" challenge was harder (impossible)

competitive 1v1 and/or dropshot are the easiest ways to do this

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I dunno if anyone watches the RLCS or follows the official rocketleague twitch but I got a question about it.

Right now there's a thing on called "The Grid" and I've seen it come up a few times but I don't get it. It has 4 games simultaneously in a 4 way split screen with casters talking about stuff.
I must be missing something because it seems unwatchable. There's 4 games going on at the same time and not even the casters can really focus on anything to give a good play by play. Are you supposed to pick one of the screens and watch their individual stream?

like is this a tournament i don't understand i'm a moron

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

The Fattest PI posted:

I dunno if anyone watches the RLCS or follows the official rocketleague twitch but I got a question about it.

Right now there's a thing on called "The Grid" and I've seen it come up a few times but I don't get it. It has 4 games simultaneously in a 4 way split screen with casters talking about stuff.
I must be missing something because it seems unwatchable. There's 4 games going on at the same time and not even the casters can really focus on anything to give a good play by play. Are you supposed to pick one of the screens and watch their individual stream?

like is this a tournament i don't understand i'm a moron

Its easier to understand here:

https://liquipedia.net/rocketleague/Rocket_League_Championship_Series/Season_X/Winter/North_America/The_Grid/Week_2

The Grid is the (bi-)weekly lesser tournament that's going on right now, in between the larger (in prize pool) regional events.

There's a lot going on right now because the pros didn't necessarily like the previous grid format, and since it's not that meaningful wanted to play more games, so we get more games. It's probably easier if you pick a stream and just watch that since Rocket League is a bit to fast for a redzone/goalzone style broadcast.

Edit: At the end of the Winter split (3 x Regional events and 4 x Grids) there will be a Regional Major for reach region*. The best placed team in the Grid will go, as well as the top 15 from the Regionals. This is why the Grid doesn't matter that much, because anyone who is top of the Grid is gonna be top 15 of the Regional events, barring some kind of wild inconsistency.

*This is how it was for the Fall split, but hasn't officially been announced for Winter.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 2, 2020

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Yeah for the Grid I would pick a team you like and follow whoever is streaming their matches, which is linked at the bottom of the Liquipedia bracket there. I think most teams have their own dedicated Twitch channel now, some are hosted by professional casters like Shogun, Johnnyboi and Dazerin, others are hosted by personalities related to their team like Athena on the G2 streams. Given this and the kinda lower-stakes setup of the Grid, productions aren't consistent. Some are serious casting and analysis, some are more of a biased fan watch party kinda vibe, some do a bit of both there's no consistent voice here so if the RLCS channel really is hosting all four games at the same time (which is such a dumb idea) then I'm not surprised that it's unwatchable garbage.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Season 2.

After having this game for 2 years I'm finally playing.

I'd be buzzed and play with a few peeps every now and then, but I'm starting to get tryhard recently.

It really is more fun when you can Aeriel and have basic mechanical competency.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I got a match on the new map... I almost threw up several times. Holy poo poo it makes my eyes go crazy and I had a really hard time focusing on the ball / see other cars. I can't find the "maps" thing that used to be in there that let you poo-poo specific maps; did they remove that?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Season 2.

After having this game for 2 years I'm finally playing.

I'd be buzzed and play with a few peeps every now and then, but I'm starting to get tryhard recently.

It really is more fun when you can Aeriel and have basic mechanical competency.

Are you in the discord? Join the Discord.

Lumpy posted:

I got a match on the new map... I almost threw up several times. Holy poo poo it makes my eyes go crazy and I had a really hard time focusing on the ball / see other cars. I can't find the "maps" thing that used to be in there that let you poo-poo specific maps; did they remove that?

It's in this menu, when you select what to play. "Arenas" in the top right.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

The discord is full of good helpful goons.

I've also been getting into this pretty seriously. It reminds me of my old Quake 3 days. Simple enough game with a skill ceiling that goes into the stratosphere. It's hard to get bored of that.

e: typo

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

pik_d posted:

Are you in the discord? Join the Discord.

It's in this menu, when you select what to play. "Arenas" in the top right.

Ah!! Thank you!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
This new winter mode is pretty bad. It's snow day but with much much harder goals, and that's it.

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

Baron von Eevl posted:

This new winter mode is pretty bad. It's snow day but with much much harder goals, and that's it.

It’s not that fun but forcing people to learn to pass rather than slamming into the corners seems like a good thing to me. I’ve only played for a couple hours and have improved considerably already, might have gotten me out of the rut I’ve been in for months

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Baron von Eevl posted:

I like it as a change of pace. Snowday is fun, but "drive along wall and hope teammate is crashing the goal as you get the puck across it" can get tedious. "Drive up the wall and onto the ceiling so the puck falls where your teammates can shoot it" is more interesting!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I was in a match that went into 6+ minutes of overtime to break the 0-0 stalemate.

Worth noting I am pretty terrible though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I didn't come close to hitting the season-long challenges last season and is it me or are the challenges this season way harder?