Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think Future State sounds mostly fine, and it's interesting which DC books haven't been in a hot minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Skwirl posted:

I didn't even think of that. I think in reality they just kinda erased bro Superman from continuity, has there been any references since then to stuff that would have been bro Superman only thing that got folded into continuity?

I kinda miss bro Superman

Xa-Du the Phantom King turned up in Bendis's Superman recently didn't he?
While he's been around since the Silver Age or whatever he had the exact same design from Morrison's New 52 Action Comics run and Paktion comics as well as being called the Phantom King is a New 52 thing.

Also Superman's parents dying in a car crash in Doomsday Clock is from Morrison's run although that did get explicitly undone at the end too.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

I am a hardcover DC Comics fan and I just don't know why I should care about this entire fiasco. Reminds me too much of Convergence, another two month reset that told no interesting stories and that everyone has forgotten about.

Convergence might have been a total waste of time unless you were an Earth 2 reader but at least we got like 4 good two part minis out of 40. The rest might have mostly been unreadable trash but we got a great Doc Shaner Shazam book.

If you don't want to read an Atom story where everyone has lost their powers except him, but his powers have changed to just making one hand really big, you are not a true DC fan. Even typing this out it is hard to believe this was a story published in the last decade. Just jaw dropping.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Lord_Hambrose posted:

If you don't want to read an Atom story where everyone has lost their powers except him, but his powers have changed to just making one hand really big, you are not a true DC fan. Even typing this out it is hard to believe this was a story published in the last decade. Just jaw dropping.

Sorry, what?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Cassa posted:

Sorry, what?

Dan Didio had vision, OK!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Cassa posted:

Sorry, what?

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Don't bother with jail or arkham or interdimensional prisons. Just shrink the hands of every supervillain as punishment. I guarantee it'll be more effective than the current system.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

drat if this timeless tale still doesn't hold up.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

we must unmake the school-to-handshrink pipeline

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Like I said there are some good things in Future State (Tamaki writing a Batman story for instance) but if you just think everything is the worst thing ever then I can see why you would be meh about the project.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Convergence certainly doesn't hold up too well, but it was still something of an enticing novelty at the time when DC still thought the Nu52 was the c̴̰͌̉͝ò̵̞o̷̩͉̞̔͆l̴̯̀̚è̴̪s̷̠̊t̴̫͙̒ ̴̧̊̔t̴̹͒͜h̵̨̙̠̏̇͊i̴̝̯̝͘n̵̦̕g̸̹͗͌ ̴͓͍̄e̷̦̠͗̀̓v̵̅͠ͅë̸͍̩̮́͝r̷̝̕ͅ and we legit didn't know if we would ever get to see characters like Stephanie Brown, Ryan Choi, or Connor Hawke again.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

TwoPair posted:

It told one good story which was pre-Flashpoint Superman and Lois Lane having their son and then after arriving in the N52 raising him while staying largely out of world events with Superman going out in a covert black suit to help certain events that he recognizes from his past play out differently in this essentially new world, like saving Hank Henshaw so he never becomes Cyborg Superman. Or at least, I thought it was neat.

I remember that now that you mention it. I liked it too! I've always liked the Lois-Clark family storylines. I had forgotten they had smushed it all together again. Who can keep track anymore. No wonder new fans for comics are so few and far between.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Siegkrow posted:

I'm still wondering, if they fused the stories of Dad-Superman and Bro-Superman (You know as well as I do who is who in this scenario), does that mean that Superman had a very public affair with Wonder Woman??

I think they're approaching it from a very hypertime, Morrison-y way of everything happened except the stuff that can't have happened. So Superman never dated Wonder Woman but he also definitely took place in that Darkseid War event that still seems to be in continuity.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lois and Clark were on a break.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

BrianWilly posted:

Convergence certainly doesn't hold up too well, but it was still something of an enticing novelty at the time when DC still thought the Nu52 was the c̴̰͌̉͝ò̵̞o̷̩͉̞̔͆l̴̯̀̚è̴̪s̷̠̊t̴̫͙̒ ̴̧̊̔t̴̹͒͜h̵̨̙̠̏̇͊i̴̝̯̝͘n̵̦̕g̸̹͗͌ ̴͓͍̄e̷̦̠͗̀̓v̵̅͠ͅë̸͍̩̮́͝r̷̝̕ͅ and we legit didn't know if we would ever get to see characters like Stephanie Brown, Ryan Choi, or Connor Hawke again.

Yeah, I mean I would've liked a Flash future state comic about, like, ANY of the Flash Kids. It'd be cool to see a grown up Bart or Iris in a Flash uniform like we see Kal'dur with Andy in the Aquaman one.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

70s Archie Goodwin writes entertaining batman Stories. His manhunter is great too

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
He got hand powers because his name is Ray PALMER, that's just how comic book universes work!

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Snackmar posted:

He got hand powers because his name is Ray PALMER, that's just how comic book universes work!

It's a good thing Mephisto is a Marvel villain.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
In case anyone was wondering if the Future State stuff was going to have any impact on the regular books Joelle Jones is writing/drawing a Wonder Girl ongoing starring the present version of Future State's Wonder Woman.

https://deadline.com/2020/11/wonder-girl-tv-series-latina-lead-yara-flor-dailyn-rodriguez-greg-berlanti-productions-the-cw-1234616503/

She's also getting a show too so DC's going full media push on this character.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

I think Future State sounds mostly fine, and it's interesting which DC books haven't been in a hot minute.

I'm loving all the designs and a whole bunch of writers and artists seem to be getting a chance to do something different with the characters?
It sounds like it could be a fun 2099-type of mini universe.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Are there any other costumes that are the one piece bathing suit with full arms but no legs? It looks really weird and bad to me.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Carol Danvers had a costume like that for a bit:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Gwenpool

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Gen13's Caitlin Fairchild is another bodysuit-but-bare-legs costume:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I always thought it looked weird on Gwen, too. No sir, I don't like it.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

Are there any other costumes that are the one piece bathing suit with full arms but no legs? It looks really weird and bad to me.

Power Girl is the most prominent example, isn’t she?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Wasn't Super Girl's first New 52 costume kinda like that, with a weird crotch shield thing?

Edit: Yeah, except I forgot they also added weird lines to it (same with Superman) to make it look like armor, which makes the lack of pants even dumber

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 17, 2020

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Either put on some pants or cut off your sleeves, that's what I say.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I think those are white pants...

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Vince MechMahon posted:

They're leotards. There's nothing inherently wrong with them. They only get gross when comics artists draw them as thongs.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

They're leotards. There's nothing inherently wrong with them. They only get gross when comics artists draw them as thongs.

I don't mind the leotard part. It's the sleeves with uncovered legs that bothers me. It's like wearing a long sleeved shirt with shorts.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I don't mind the leotard part. It's the sleeves with uncovered legs that bothers me. It's like wearing a long sleeved shirt with shorts.
Or maybe like wearing a
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5KmB8Laemg&ab_channel=CakeVEVO

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I have seen many many kinds of leotards that have full or half sleeves. You see them very often on ballet dancers or ice skaters or gymnasts. I guess if you don't watch a lot of ballet or ice skating it might look weird-- I guess I live in a bubble because this attitude is baffling to me.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

TwoPair posted:

I think they're approaching it from a very hypertime, Morrison-y way of everything happened except the stuff that can't have happened. So Superman never dated Wonder Woman but he also definitely took place in that Darkseid War event that still seems to be in continuity.

That's the best way, I think. Worrying about what's canon or not is the worst way to decide if you're going to enjoy an arc or not.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

How Wonderful! posted:

I have seen many many kinds of leotards that have full or half sleeves. You see them very often on ballet dancers or ice skaters or gymnasts. I guess if you don't watch a lot of ballet or ice skating it might look weird-- I guess I live in a bubble because this attitude is baffling to me.

It looks fine in ballet and ice skating. I don't know what it is that bothers me about it in comics.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
If we are going to go in on superhero costume stuff that is annoying mine is shoulder pads. Why do heroes need shoulder pads?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

to protect their shoulders, madkal

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Madkal posted:

If we are going to go in on superhero costume stuff that is annoying mine is shoulder pads. Why do heroes need shoulder pads?

If it was good enough for women's suits in the 80s it's good enough for Wonder Woman in 2020.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Madkal posted:

They look cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

I am a hardcover DC Comics fan and I just don't know why I should care about this entire fiasco. Reminds me too much of Convergence, another two month reset that told no interesting stories and that everyone has forgotten about.

does anyone else remember Telos, the Forerunner of 2015