Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Super No Vacancy posted:

any melmetals on that truck

Make a Go account, catch something, then transfer it to Home. You can do this all for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

oh ok i did it cool

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I despise modern mythicals. It removes so many good designs from usable gameplay. It was tolerable when they were at least special story-wise like Mew, but now they just take random designs, give them 600 BST and call it a day. I would've liked to use Marshadow in SM, or have my Carbink evolve into Dance as was obviously originally intended.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

the dynamax adventures are a passable solution to the legendary bloat and they're all realistically available now.
the line between legendary and mythical is so arbitrary and mythicals should be in dynamax adventures too

stupid that it's so hard to get a celebi, victini or whatever. just let people have them, or they'll just hack them into home from 3DS like anyone with a lick of sense

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

galagazombie posted:

I despise modern mythicals. It removes so many good designs from usable gameplay. It was tolerable when they were at least special story-wise like Mew, but now they just take random designs, give them 600 BST and call it a day. I would've liked to use Marshadow in SM, or have my Carbink evolve into Dance as was obviously originally intended.
The weird thing is that some mythicals just become regular legendaries after a while. Deoxys was catchable in ORAS, and you can get Keldeo in SwSh after catching the three muskedeers.

But stuff like Celebi? Jirachi? Nah gently caress you, those are extra special. Which would be less grating if not for the fact that they keep going "hey, here's a postgame thing where you can catch every single past legendary ever." (as seen in ORAS, and USUM, and now SwSh)

They should either have all of the legendaries, or none.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

galagazombie posted:

I’m sick of them, too. Especially when they keep adding in these increasingly elaborate methods to get them. Victini was the last one I can think of that they did sort of right with a side-area and mini-story to collect it in-game. The only issue with it was that they didn’t make the event some sort of download that would stay available rather than a one-time code.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Super No Vacancy posted:

any melmetals on that truck

Sadly, that is one of the few not on the truck. Gen I-Gen VII only

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

frankly all event pokemon are pointless except for filling out the pokedex. the only good mythicals are like the celebi (or jirachi?) you can get at level 1 from the gamecube disc or whatever so you can actually name and use them

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

RatHat posted:

Make a Go account, catch something, then transfer it to Home. You can do this all for free.
Speaking of Melmetal - apparently, starting tomorrow, there's a Go event for Shiny Meltan.

Also shiny slowpoke I guess but thats not as interesting

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Blaziken386 posted:

Speaking of Melmetal - apparently, starting tomorrow, there's a Go event for Shiny Meltan.

Maybe this will get me to open the Meltan box for the first time in like a year. I have one shiny already, and it would be great to get a matching melmetal.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

galagazombie posted:

They usually have an "anything goes" tourney at some point where mythicals are allowed, if you specifically mean the online competitive stuff.

Also, just like regular pokemon, there are some really dumb designs too. Like Red Baby Teething Ring.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Blaziken386 posted:

Yeah, I misread the start time and wasted a box. Oh well, still two bites at it this week, I guess. Though, it's one of the dumb ones that only changes a slight bit when shiny.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
Your fourth favorite competitive poketuber is back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKXJHx3bAc0

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

I am Reverend posted:

I'm glad to have you back. Your videos have a certain style and energy that always makes them a good time. And I even get to learn about the current state of the metagame!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

I am Reverend posted:

The king and 3rd best Peach main I follow of twitter has returned

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Anyone else get a Wimpod named "Limp Dic" out of wonder trade? I've gotten two now.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I am Reverend posted:

It's "KYU-rem", not "KAI-rem". :psyduck:

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Hey man I don't tell you how to do your job

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
its kairem, he says it right there.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Kyruem is actually the scientist that created him, the correct way to say it is "Kyruem's (Pocket) Monster"

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

quote:

oatsenjoyer97 (Spectrier) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Grim Neigh
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sleep Talk

The brain power this set took is staggering.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That’s the kind of pokemon design I can get behind. Kinda how i pretty much only use tri-beam with porygon-z

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

quote:

oatsenjoyer97 (Spectrier) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Grim Neigh
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sleep Talk
The brain power this set took is staggering.

Lots of cool poo poo if you realize you don't need to use all four slots. My raid Kangaskhan is
@Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
Fake Out
Last Resort

:v:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I appreciate that no matter what game I play there always seems to be a viable caveman option.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Just wait til my Torment Morpeko gets ahold of these clowns.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

RatHat posted:

Any recommendations for a guy whose phone is literally too old to run Go?

That don't involve getting a new phone, I mean.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

BlazetheInferno posted:

Find a friend who plays go but doesn’t give a poo poo about main series and have them link their go to your Nintendo account.

Go player gets Meltan boxes on the reg and you get the Melmetal and occasional free random garbage from your buddy.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Also, you could always ask in the goon discord. They helped me a lot when I was trying to get some mythicals, and with everyone that transfers a pokemon from Go getting a free Melmetal, there's bound to be lots of spares.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

BlazetheInferno posted:

Android emulator on your computer?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Lots of cool poo poo if you realize you don't need to use all four slots. My raid Kangaskhan is
@Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
Fake Out
Last Resort

:v:
having only two moves is directly opposed to the lessons learned in single player (ie, more type coverage = better), and I hate how effective it is, even if it makes me laugh

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Fewer moves means fewer misclicks

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Hrist posted:

They usually have an "anything goes" tourney at some point where mythicals are allowed, if you specifically mean the online competitive stuff.

Nah I mean in single player. Like what good is it to me to be given an Elite 4 level guy. I'll never be able to play the actual game with it or have it grow as part of my team of bros I've caught. And even if they did come at level 1 they're fully evolved with pseudo legendary stats. Pokemon can be easy enough as it is. At least the few time I've used pseudo-legendaries on my team they don't reach those huge BST's until they've evolved multiple times. It's the same reason I don't use Legendaries during the story, it's basically cheating in an already pretty easy game. And even the post-game has become so anemic you basically can only use them in the Battle Tower and nowhere else.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

To be fair though, the mythicals usually only come out when they want you back in gamestop to pre-order the next games anyway. So alot of people are already over the game by then.

Back when Meloetta was coming out, I put off playing Black 2(?) or whichever it was for about a year, because it was level 15 or something extremely low in Japan. And I wanted to use it like you're talking about. And then when they released it in America during that gen's dying gasp, it was level 50 here instead. I think they just make them 100 now because people tend to just grab them and forget they exists these days.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

The only mythical I Can't forget is Magearna because I'm jealous I'll never have Thighs that thicc

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

The only mythical I Can't forget is Magearna because I'm jealous I'll never have Thighs that thicc

:confused:

Those aren't it's thighs. It's just wearing a wedding/ball gown. Which is why it is basically MechaElphelt.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I generally dgaf about mythicals, but am annoyed they contain unique type combos like fire/water and ghost/fighting.

Also miffed that with the death of mega evolution, Altaria can no longer be dragon/fairy. The fluffy boy was robbed.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Hrist posted:

To be fair though, the mythicals usually only come out when they want you back in gamestop to pre-order the next games anyway. So alot of people are already over the game by then.

That makes it worse! It's removing content so they can try and milk more money from you, even if not directly. It's like a barely less scummy version of on-disc DLC.

Though even without Mythical's theres an increasing problem with non-usable Pokemon. Whether you buy GameFreaks' line that Ultra-Beasts aren't Legendary or not, you can't deny it's a whole dozen designs out of the regional dex that can't be bred or caught at usable levels. And then there's just legendary bloat in general. the musketeers and Silvally would have been nice designs to fill out the dex. Did Gen 5 really need two legendary trios? Would it really break the game to let me breed a Type:Null to use in a new save?

I just don't like when it seems like a fourth of the NatDex is labeled "Display Only".

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

galagazombie posted:

That makes it worse! It's removing content so they can try and milk more money from you, even if not directly. It's like a barely less scummy version of on-disc DLC.

They're always free though? Every single time they had an in-person thing, I'd just go into whatever store, and ask for a code, or use the download display, and walk right back out.

It's also not up to gamefreak when it comes to releasing them. I've heard they're told to put the content in, and then either Nintendo, or some other part of the companies that own pokemon later decide, "Okay, now put the access out so we can promote [movie/card set/whatever]." Which is why DPPt had like, 4 items for accessing mythicals that just never got released.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Having legendaries or mythicals be possible to get early on at a low level has already been proven to be fun as hell with the Arceus event in HGSS. Hatching a level 1 Giratina to play through HeartGold was some of the most ridiculous fun I’ve had in a Pokémon game, if only for the novelty of it. Even unintentionally it’s great; it was always super fun to glitch out Gen 1’s encounter tables and make Mew show up at level 7 to use through the rest of the game.

The way mythicals are distributed now feels like a vestige of “Gotta catch ‘em all!” when just the idea of getting a new Pokémon was exciting, but I think both the franchise (in the sense that that hasn’t been the slogan for years) and audience are pretty over that now.

.... Except in our lizard brains that drive us to sign up for the Pokémon trainers club newsletter to get Zarude even though we’re fully aware we won’t use him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Fortis posted:

Having legendaries or mythicals be possible to get early on at a low level has already been proven to be fun as hell with the Arceus event in HGSS. Hatching a level 1 Giratina to play through HeartGold was some of the most ridiculous fun I’ve had in a Pokémon game, if only for the novelty of it. Even unintentionally it’s great; it was always super fun to glitch out Gen 1’s encounter tables and make Mew show up at level 7 to use through the rest of the game.

The way mythicals are distributed now feels like a vestige of “Gotta catch ‘em all!” when just the idea of getting a new Pokémon was exciting, but I think both the franchise (in the sense that that hasn’t been the slogan for years) and audience are pretty over that now.

.... Except in our lizard brains that drive us to sign up for the Pokémon trainers club newsletter to get Zarude even though we’re fully aware we won’t use him.

Oh yeah! I did this with the event Keldeo in... I don't remember if it was White or White2, but they distributed a lv 15 Keldeo and I used it on my team through the game and it owned and was super fun.