Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

tbqh i think a lot of the more fervent fans are a bit deflated with the m1 news

lol you think so, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

tbqh i think a lot of the more fervent fans are a bit deflated with the m1 news, since it appears less magically beastly and more like a zen3-tier processor built with a better and more expensive process. but that was probably always the best possible outcome, there likely is no real leap forward to be made in design that'd let anyone get miles ahead of everyone else.

a zen3 draws 100 watts and requires constant active cooling. an m1 draws 10 watts for both the cpu and gpu and operates in a fanless MacBook Air.

edit: sorry, 10 watts also includes the RAM.

The Management fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 18, 2020

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Management posted:

a zen3 draws 100 watts and requires constant active cooling. an m1 draws 10 watts for both the cpu and gpu and operates in a fanless MacBook Air.

edit: sorry, 10 watts also includes the RAM.

going by anand the m1 draws in the realm of 20-24w (10w is listed there too, but for single-threaded loads) and on spec 2017 will usually beat a 15w zen3 laptop chip, but be beaten by a 35w zen3 laptop chip. not that i know those estimates are correct or fully representative, but the ballpark seems to be in that realm.

it's all pretty messy as of yet, and i suspect that the advantage on thermals are very substantial when analyzed a bit more finely. taking the comparison to be 10w vs. 100w is nonsense though.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 18, 2020

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
okay, let’s go with 24w for cpu+gpu+ram vs 35w for cpu alone.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

well, 27w was the actual value, they were knocking some off to try to make it more comparable. also of course the zen3 laptop chips have gpus as well, and generally i don't expect idle gpus to draw much.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

either way it seems absolutely great, best-in-class. my observation was precisely that some of the enthusiasm evaporated when it became a matter of slicing the numbers a bit to see where it is better instead of going "2.5x" or whatever the number was.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
to the extent that there is any disappointment i suspect it is because this first batch of chips is aimed squarely at the low end, which while it makes perfect sense on a lot of levels from apples point of view, means that the performance numbers have been hobbled by the choice of machines they are being put into

people were hoping they would see some numbers that would melt everyones face off but that looks like it will have to wait until sometime next year when full desktop machines running m1x/m1z/m2 chips are introduced

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The M1 chip makes Samsung and other vendors of ARM chips look pretty rear end right now, the catch up race will be interesting.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
hmmm.... only $250 and 0.2lbs difference. the dimensions are effectively the same. active cooling. looks like i will be getting the pro. (probably in silver because it was what stebe chose and that guy knows whats good).

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
see I looked at the same things and it was obvious that the air was better. not gonna pay extra for the awful touchbar experience and constant fan noise when I can pay less money and get touch typing

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

FMguru posted:

to the extent that there is any disappointment i suspect it is because this first batch of chips is aimed squarely at the low end, which while it makes perfect sense on a lot of levels from apples point of view, means that the performance numbers have been hobbled by the choice of machines they are being put into

people were hoping they would see some numbers that would melt everyones face off but that looks like it will have to wait until sometime next year when full desktop machines running m1x/m1z/m2 chips are introduced

the mac pro chip will be extremely interesting, since i find it pretty believable that apple will want to show off there (if the product line is to survive at all). with their thermals it is pretty practical to pack a lot of cores onto a very expensive chip to make something really silly. and tbqh that might actually sell even at fantastic cost, some places will after all pay a pretty massive premium for whatever is the most general compute you can cram onto one chip.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the mac pro is definitely the place to do that. the question is, will it work with any existing pcie stuff or will it require a whole new device ecosystem for add-ons, because if ti does, lol.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

infernal machines posted:

the mac pro is definitely the place to do that. the question is, will it work with any existing pcie stuff or will it require a whole new device ecosystem for add-ons, because if ti does, lol.
it has a pci-e bus, so provided drivers will be built (which i grant is a big if), i imagine existing stuff will work fine

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
drivers for sure, but i was thinking more efi compatibility, since it doesn't have efi any more

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
brand new dgpu form factors!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Soricidus posted:

see I looked at the same things and it was obvious that the air was better. not gonna pay extra for the awful touchbar experience and constant fan noise when I can pay less money and get touch typing
lol at a 'pro' machine that is hard limited to 16 gig of ram and can only drive one external monitor

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

pro as in profoundly bad

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the mac pro chip will be extremely interesting, since i find it pretty believable that apple will want to show off there (if the product line is to survive at all). with their thermals it is pretty practical to pack a lot of cores onto a very expensive chip to make something really silly. and tbqh that might actually sell even at fantastic cost, some places will after all pay a pretty massive premium for whatever is the most general compute you can cram onto one chip.

can't wait to see apple rip threads

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Zam Wesell posted:

anyone got an ETA for the M2 macs

realistically apple could be on the yearly iphone refresh cycle now which is nice

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
im waiting for the m2

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

kitten emergency posted:

im waiting for the m2

same, even tho the m1 is impressive af

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Zam Wesell posted:

same, even tho the m1 is impressive af

clearly you are not a ~pro

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
the remaining ten macintosh professional users, crying: apple, please release a chip that will require our professional desktop, performance-intensive apps to run through a comparability later and rely on first-generation device drivers. PLEASE!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

FCKGW posted:

realistically apple could be on the yearly iphone refresh cycle now which is nice

the MacBooks will probably go yearly like the iphones. lesser selling macs will probably be on a 1.5-2 year cycle like iPads.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Soricidus posted:

according to wsj the fan doesn't kick in until you actually need it. so for most of regular use there is no difference.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT8B1zlsAc0

as for the touchbar. it sucks but i can live with it :/

e: also who the gently caress touch types the f keys? are you a cashier or something?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

the remaining ten macintosh professional users, crying: apple, please release a chip that will require our professional desktop, performance-intensive apps to run through a comparability later and rely on first-generation device drivers. PLEASE!

the "pro" part of mac pro is to make your office look "professional"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

hobbesmaster posted:

the "pro" part of mac pro is to make your office look "professional"

literally a thing, wasn't part of the whole powermac thing getting colleges and offices to put them on top of the desks as free advertising

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yep that's why they made the keyboard cables 18 inches long.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

Yep that's why they made the keyboard cables 18 inches long.

keyboards don't have cables

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

keyboards don't have cables
when was the last time apple made/sold/shipped a non-wireless keyboard?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

do ipad keyboard cases count as "wireless"?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Endless Mike posted:

do ipad keyboard cases count as "wireless"?

They do count as wireless but they don’t count as keyboards unless maybe it’s on one of the cafeteria tray models.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010
This is my first Macbook (Air) ever, coming from an XPS 13 9380 w/ 8GB RAM.

Chrome is a tiny bit hitchy. I'm currently waiting for the ARM version of Chrome to come out (hopefully today).

It's currently cold here, and I'm used to warming my hands up a bit on the bottom of the XPS; this is no longer possible on the mac. The warmth on the bottom plate feels like I just laid my hand there for 30 seconds.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

according to wsj the fan doesn't kick in until you actually need it. so for most of regular use there is no difference.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT8B1zlsAc0

as for the touchbar. it sucks but i can live with it :/

e: also who the gently caress touch types the f keys? are you a cashier or something?

lol that even the WSJ has succumbed to goofy face / pose / color youtube video thumbnails

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hed posted:

lol that even the WSJ has succumbed to goofy face / pose / color youtube video thumbnails
I hope whoever invented the "open mouthed lovely white guy" youtube thumbnail spends many centuries in naraka
[img-uber-driver-sucked-me-off]

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gotta catch the eye of those zany millennials :razz:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

you can still buy an ipod

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Gonna Send It posted:

This is my first Macbook (Air) ever, coming from an XPS 13 9380 w/ 8GB RAM.

Chrome is a tiny bit hitchy. I'm currently waiting for the ARM version of Chrome to come out (hopefully today).

It's currently cold here, and I'm used to warming my hands up a bit on the bottom of the XPS; this is no longer possible on the mac. The warmth on the bottom plate feels like I just laid my hand there for 30 seconds.
how much ram did you get op, 8 or 16?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

yeah I’m not gonna trust an apple product with a fan to be quiet after experiencing literally any other mbp ever

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

idk what to tell you I just really like to be able to do stuff like step through a debugger without having to take my eyes off the screen 🤷

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

Kenny Logins posted:

how much ram did you get op, 8 or 16?

8GB

12 chrome tabs :cry: