Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

klosterdev posted:

Whelp, GoDaddy having an outage. Looks like for at least a couple hours. Must be real bad, when I called the support line it played on-hold music for about 30 seconds then disconnected. Nothing is resolving, someone really must have hosed up DNS

Take this as a chance to convince your management to move off Godaddy and onto something more reputable and reliable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Sickening posted:

You have the time to take PTO. Nobody is so important that they don't have time to take PTO.

Take your PTO.

Page late, but still true.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Maybe the PTO tables are turning. This year we have been told we must take 50% of our leave in the first six months of the annual leave year, and the other 50% at the end - obviously to try and stop everyone waiting for lockdown to end and a sudden rush of leave...makes sense.

We have been told we must use all our leave and we are not allowed to do the usual thing of carrying 5 days over. It is an outrage I tell ya! I've been hoarding that extra 5 days 'just in case' for years, how dare they take it away :(

I need to use 12 days off in the next 4 months... There is a good chance of failure here on my part

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

angry armadillo posted:

Maybe the PTO tables are turning. This year we have been told we must take 50% of our leave in the first six months of the annual leave year, and the other 50% at the end - obviously to try and stop everyone waiting for lockdown to end and a sudden rush of leave...makes sense.

We have been told we must use all our leave and we are not allowed to do the usual thing of carrying 5 days over. It is an outrage I tell ya! I've been hoarding that extra 5 days 'just in case' for years, how dare they take it away :(

I need to use 12 days off in the next 4 months... There is a good chance of failure here on my part

Nope. Just book it. You're following the company policy.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

angry armadillo posted:

I may be off by a day or two, but with all the various upcoming holidays, sounds like you should just have a three-day weekend every weekend through March.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Current job lets you have up to 200 hours of PTO to roll over to next year. Above and beyond that it gets forcibly cashed out and paid into your post retirement health care savings plan. This changed about 3 years ago when some director that had worked here for 30+ years had roughly 6 months of PTO that had to be paid on his way out the door, was nearly $70K as I recall.

Soon to be new job gives us 6 sick days that roll over year after year which is nice that it doesnt have to be taken out of PTO. I'll get 19 PTO days on top of that + company holidays but they have to be used each year. I hope this is one of those places that actually lets you take it...

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

luminalflux posted:

Take this as a chance to convince your management to move off Godaddy and onto something more reputable and reliable

Nah, just a stupid personal website, thank god we don't use GoDaddy. It was pretty funny reading the Twitter replies for actual businesses that use it tho.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Between furlough and there not being anything to do during lockdown, I'd barely used any of my annual leave, so I took off all Mondays in the last quarter.
4 day weeks is so much better.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

Nope. Just book it. You're following the company policy.

Nah I'm not, I missed the use half in 6 months dead line so I've gotta stealth these in so no one asks me why I didn't follow that explicit instruction. I am too lazy to say 'well you asked me to roll out A, B, C, D' etc and have the fight about it.

I also carried over 9 days and used them coming into this leave year due to covid so I've actually taken more leave than I usually do so I don't feel too unrested - I've even got 2 weeks off at xmas to look forward to.

I might see if I can stealth in a 'I need to come in on my leave so can you just pay me' deal.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I've got 28 hours of pto banked after 3 years at my current company. I take some time off every winter to snowboard and I have health problems that also eats my pto. It rules.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
I get 160 hours a year for vacation or sick time. We can roll over 100 hour a year. I usually do so so I have a bank of sick time. Our time accrues monthly. If I have over 120 hours banked I stop earning vacation time until I take some off. There are many rules about taking time off, including 2 weeks lead time, and not having too many folks off at once.

Due to Covid they let us bank 160 hours due to how busy it got, but we still only can carry over 100. In August there were no more vacation slots available around any holiday as people were trying to avoid giving the company 60 hours.

And the joke is on me. I work from home, so if I am sick I just ... work from home.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

SubjectVerbObject posted:

And the joke is on me. I work from home, so if I am sick I just ... work from home.

Don't do this either.

If you're legitimately sick, throwing up, can't get out of bed, etc. just, don't work!

It's ok to not turn on your work computer/turn off work email notifications on your phone for a day or two so you can sleep all day and relax and get better...really it is!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Sometimes I take sick days when I’m not feeling sick, just because I need a mental health day! oh woe is me, I feel so guilty depriving my generous corporate overlords of my labour when I could still be sending emails...

Take your loving PTO people

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

You're lucky enough that your sick days are a separate resource

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

sick days are a resource??? *laughs in european*

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Our PTO is based off of years at the company. Your accrual rate is based on your total hours of PTO. I get 20 days of PTO a year so I accrue at a rate of 6.66 hours a pay period. You are capped at max PTO per year + 8 hours, so I can accrue to 168 hours before accrual stops. I that doesn't ever go away, but it doesn't start accumulating again until you are below the cap. I think it's a decent balance since it encourages use. Also, managers always seem to let things slide if you want to say you took a certain day off before payday when you really want to take off after payday to keep from losing hours if you are close to max. I'm fine with it because I can take like two days off a month and continually ride my max until I decide to take a longer vacation.

On top of that we get floating holidays. It used to be 3, but they upped it to 5 this year. This is on top of the normal holidays we get off (New Years Day, MLK Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and the day after, and Christmas). This year they added Juneteenth as a company holiday but I have yet to see if that's going to be a continual thing (would be pretty hypocritical if it was just a one year thing.)

Floating holidays are not considered PTO and they DO go away if you don't use them in a calendar year. You also get all 5 as a lump at the beginning of the year.

On top of that we have sick time that accrues at a certain rate (can't remember) per pay period that's capped at 200 hours.

Company also offers a month maternity and paternity leave that's outside of any another time off you can take. Short by European standards, but pretty generous by American standards.

I took a week off in Feb for a trip, but I've been mostly just tacking on a day or two to weekends or holidays to stay ahead of my accrual the rest of the year. I am taking off between Christmas and New Years though which I haven't been able to do for the past two years.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 18, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You europeans might be laughing at us americans now, but who's got the biggest military in the history of humanity? Yeah suck on those grapes. :smugicide:

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I thought I had it bad. 21 days off + 6 holidays + unlimited sick time. I also get comp'd at 1x for billable OT I can convert to money or time off (I always take the time off). It's not like an unofficial comp either, we accrue and carry it on the books. My company is really cool and I have never had an issue taking time off for anything, except the one time in four years I had to ban some PTO for myself and a project team around Christmas (not on Christmas, just the weeks around it) for a big project we had to finish. It was all communicated 8 months in advance and we'd have worked with anyone if they really needed the time off too.

I used to work insane hours and never stop. I thought it was like, a really important part of my success. But as I've gotten older my priorities have moved around. Funnily enough Wibla was talking about Europe earlier - my mindset started changing on a two week trip to Germany to visit some in-laws. They got visible douche chills if I even sort of mentioned work. After I got back I wound up working four weekends in a row. On weekends 3/4 my daughter was besides herself on FaceTime cause I'd been gone so much. I'd also gotten fat as hell. So I told myself I wasn't doing that anymore. Started capping my work weeks at 40 hours and taking PTO for planned vacations and at random.

Since capping my work weeks at 40 hours and taking all my PTO every year I haven't moved companies. I've been promoted twice and I'm 3k away from doubling my take-home this year compared to 2016. I enjoy my life more, I take more time to do whatever I want, and it has possibly helped my career a lot. I also got back into lifting, started doing yoga, and walking/running and got un-fat and back into shape. Anyways. That's my take your time off story.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
We have unlimited PTO. My last company also had unlimited PTO and it was 100% a scam. The average person took less than a week per year.

This company most people take around 1 - 1.5 months per year. Unlimited PTO can only be as good as the company culture.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Deviating from the PTO chat, but Microsoft Feature Updates piss me off.

In this case the Win10 20H2 Feaure Update.

Remove the control panel
Shove Edge into my face
loving with Alt-Tab

But hey! We can now change the refresh rate on our display and the start menu has "theme aware tiles"!

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
I have 200 hours of PTO with the option to carry 120 hours over. Because of the nature of my job, I basically have the weeks of 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years off. With travel no longer happening, I have to check my e-mail on Monday and attend a 45ish minute conference call on Fridays.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

DoomTrainPhD posted:

We have unlimited PTO. My last company also had unlimited PTO and it was 100% a scam. The average person took less than a week per year.

Doing it wrong then. My wife's company is like that, one of the girls she works with takes time off like 2 or 3 times a week to go get facials and 'appointments'.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Over the last 10+ years I've been the only I.T. person at my jobs, and had little to no job security so I've taken fewer and fewer days off to the point where the last one was in 2017. My life is very small and a day off doesn't feel like it accomplishes much, so this is a minor complaint for me compared to the other aspects of my job that trouble me. I'm also practically invisible to my bosses unless they want something so they don't care and have never mentioned it.

When I supervised people tracking their time off usage and making sure they used it regularly (and without guilt) was important to me, but I'm not surprised that most bosses don't give a poo poo, or actively try to suppress using PTO.

I think for normal people time off is important, and it's gross that employers use it as leverage against their staff.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

What happens if you get hospitalized or are otherwise indisposed?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

DoomTrainPhD posted:

This company most people take around 1 - 1.5 months per year. Unlimited PTO can only be as good as the company culture.

Yeah, that's my experience at my current gig. One of my teammates just got back from three weeks off that they'd scheduled during The Before Times that just turned into a three-week "well, gently caress it, I'm staying home and not paying attention to work" break.

Our rules are pretty lax; basically "try to avoid more than two people out (from our six-person team) for more than a couple of days" and "anything over 2 weeks needs department VP approval". I took like two weeks last year to go fly out for a friend's 40th birthday who I hadn't seen in years and no one even reacted to it.

We technically don't have sick time because it just gets charged as PTO, but a notation is made when it gets put in and that's used to track "hey are you feeling okay, do you need to go on any sort of leave, etc" stuff.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just had a user say they can only accept a brand new laptop as a replacement for their broken laptop because they are at high risk for COVID. No, a used replacement laptop from our stock will not suffice. Of course they are in marketing. Of course.

Good luck with that, I guess.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Internet Explorer posted:

What happens if you get hospitalized or are otherwise indisposed?

Since they view me as some sort of appliance they will just replace me and eventually forget I existed. It took the last place a year to find a permanent replacement when I left, and were paying the MSP to have an engineer onsite 40 hours per week, but I expect they barely noticed despite the extraordinary expense.

EDIT: Side note. After I left my old job they initially replaced me with an I.T. manager from one of the other sites. He crashed and burned and later told me that he had no idea how I was able to handle so much work by myself.

He is head of I.T. at a company we bought last year, so I expect they will give him my job eventually whether or not I leave. Small world!

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 18, 2020

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Just had a user say they can only accept a brand new laptop as a replacement for their broken laptop because they are at high risk for COVID. No, a used replacement laptop from our stock will not suffice. Of course they are in marketing. Of course.

"I understand your request; please provide me with the department budget code I should charge this new purchase to." :v:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I'm not sure who I hated working with more in the past. Sales people or marketing people.

Last time I worked private sector every.single.marketing. position was either a director or vp. They could've been just some peon setting up convention booths with no direct reports, but by god they were directors!

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 18, 2020

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

Since they view me as some sort of appliance they will just replace me and eventually forget I existed. It took the last place a year to find a permanent replacement when I left, and were paying the MSP to have an engineer onsite 40 hours per week, but I expect they barely noticed despite the extraordinary expense.

EDIT: Side note. After I left my old job they initially replaced me with an I.T. manager from one of the other sites. He crashed and burned and later told me that he had no idea how I was able to handle so much work by myself.

He is head of I.T. at a company we bought last year, so I expect they will give him my job eventually whether or not I leave. Small world!

If there's an MSP to cover for you, then take your time off. If there's not, you should get an MSP to cover for you. Being a sole IT person with no ability to be unavailable for a week or two is a risk to the business. If you can step back and it takes them a year, then take your time off.

Kyrosiris posted:

"I understand your request; please provide me with the department budget code I should charge this new purchase to." :v:

Yeah, we don't do that. We have a hardware replacement cycle and we don't do out-of-band purchases. A bit old school and I'm sure it'll change sometime in the near-to-mid future, but right now that's not something a user can do.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm not sure who I hated working with more in the past. Sales people or marketing people.

Last time I worked private sector every.single.marketing. position was either a director or vp. They could've be just some peon setting up convention booths with no direct reports, but by god they were directors!

marketing by a landslide

Sales people are actually good with people and generally pleasant to interact with.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

The Iron Rose posted:

marketing by a landslide

Sales people are actually good with people and generally pleasant to interact with.

Marketing people are nice but misguided. Salespeople are soulless, brainless devilpeople.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sales people can pull the trump card of THIS SALE

Worst, to least worst, but still terrible:
Doctors -> Lawyers -> Sales -> Marketing

I don't think Sales and Marketing people are that bad, it's just they have much stronger personalities than say, the peons in accounting, so they are harder to work with.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I’m sure the doctors think the same of the medical expert computer toucher

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

100% of doctors are insufferable though, while among computer touchers the number is only like 90%

For my money, the professions that are most likely to be signals of douchiness are, in no particular order:

doctors
academics
chiropractors
lawyers
real estate
finance
car sales

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I appreciate that you put chiropractor and doctor in separate categories

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Shock of all shocks, their manager did not say they could get a brand new laptop. In a sane world, someone lying on behalf of their boss for an approval for a $2,000 expense would be a fireable offense, but that's above my responsibility level.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dick Trauma posted:

Over the last 10+ years I've been the only I.T. person at my jobs, and had little to no job security so I've taken fewer and fewer days off to the point where the last one was in 2017. My life is very small and a day off doesn't feel like it accomplishes much, so this is a minor complaint for me compared to the other aspects of my job that trouble me. I'm also practically invisible to my bosses unless they want something so they don't care and have never mentioned it.

When I supervised people tracking their time off usage and making sure they used it regularly (and without guilt) was important to me, but I'm not surprised that most bosses don't give a poo poo, or actively try to suppress using PTO.

I think for normal people time off is important, and it's gross that employers use it as leverage against their staff.

The shift from being "the IT guy" to being "a site technical lead" is remarkable. I have peers I can ask questions, a team that handles routine stuff, and a boss who will let me sit in the corner and come up with clever solutions. He also helps me yell at the team when they hit their PTO accumulation max. The big, enterprisey company overhead can get annoying sometimes, but I'd rather put in a ticket and wait a few days for some firewall ports to open than call a cab on a Saturday because I hosed up an iptables rule.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Shock of all shocks, their manager did not say they could get a brand new laptop. In a sane world, someone lying on behalf of their boss for an approval for a $2,000 expense would be a fireable offense, but that's above my responsibility level.

You said marketing, right? They probably just got a 'oh, you!' and then they went out to a $600 lunch on the company tab.

Unrelated, there will be no merit bonuses this year because In These Hard Times,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
So my company has gone from 300 people to 170 in 2 years due to the market downturn, aviation industry poo poo, now COVID. We're an employee owned company and its generally a really cool place to work but our profit margins are slim.

Working on someones computer today, she has literally every version of creative suite installed from 2019 to 2021 "oh hey do you think I could get a new laptop, this one is about 4 years old and kind of slow" "I'm sorry, I literally don't have a budget. If it flat out breaks, Maybe!" I mean, she legitimately probably should. She does actually need to work on most of those products and we actually do have to have older versions available because sometimes newer products don't open the old poo poo quite right. I'd love to test her on a new M1 chip and see how that actually goes.
This company has been around for almost 100 years but it still doesnt do like a formalized IT budget process and it's a little maddening to not really know if I can replace peoples hardware. I love being in a small/medium company because I get to touch alot of the parts and basically learn anything I want to learn and I still have enough coworkers in IT that i'm dont feel indispensable like Dick Trauma does and take plenty of time away.