Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Clarste posted:

From what I can tell it's based on a very specific era of English history (specifically the 1850s, with the Crimean War and the Broad Street cholera outbreak), except maybe the artist doesn't have a very clear idea of what that time period looked like.

Let's be fair

That's everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Almost all villainess style isekais exist in a weird pseudo era where absurd ballgowns and prussian-style military uniforms are the dress, the cities are industrial revolution style, and the technological level is "whatever is easiest to draw"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
what would be the point of a villainess isekai without fancy dresses?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

what would be the point of a manga without fancy dresses?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

:hmmyes:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

The point would be for her to introduce the concept of "fancy dresses" to the world so that everyone would be awed at her genius.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Which manga is this one?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Julias posted:

Which manga is this one?
Villainess Level 99

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Thanks!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Its only problem is that it doesn't update fast enough. Give me more updates.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I like the new guy that showed up in Lv99.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Edmond Dantes posted:

It's a difficult life to follow monthly manga.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah monthly manga are hard to follow. They update so slow that by the time the next chapter is out you've forgotten what the previous one was about.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah monthly manga are hard to follow. They update so slow that by the time the next chapter is out you've forgotten what the previous one was about.

And if you’re like me you end up killing time between updates by picking up more monthly series, which causes things to spiral further out of control.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
So you end up rereading the whole thing before the drop. Every time. Just like when I was a kid at the comic store.

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!
Doesn't seem to have been posted yet, so how about another Villainess (but not really) Isekai? https://mangadex.org/title/53810/my-secretly-hot-husband

Girl is burned alive in modern day, reincarnates as an unfortunate little girl whose adopted by her uncle and treated like crap, until she's sold off to the evil noble of the north whose so ugly he always wears a mask. Except he's not evil and also is actually a hottie. I'd state more but I'm terrible at summaries so check it out for yourself.

I will add however that if you think this will be a typical villainess story where she introduces the peasants to the glories of Capitalism..... well,

I don't think that'll happen.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That’s a hell of a word balloon, I’m in.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

K Prime posted:

Almost all villainess style isekais exist in a weird pseudo era where absurd ballgowns and prussian-style military uniforms are the dress, the cities are industrial revolution style, and the technological level is "whatever is easiest to draw"

AFAIK, almost the entire villainess genre (shoujo manga, otome games, modern isekai villainess meta-manga) come from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rose_of_Versailles

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Oh poo poo that's lady oscar. All my aunts watched that.

I think even my mum got to watch it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

That's the sacrifice you have to make. Updates go down but quality go up

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Siegkrow posted:

Oh poo poo that's lady oscar. All my aunts watched that.

I think even my mum got to watch it.

Its a great show. You should watch it too.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Nipponophile posted:

The point would be for her to introduce the concept of "fancy dresses" to the world so that everyone would be awed at her genius.

I did read one where the MC was a fashion designer before she died and uses that experience to win at the ball.

Revdomezehis posted:

Doesn't seem to have been posted yet, so how about another Villainess (but not really) Isekai? https://mangadex.org/title/53810/my-secretly-hot-husband

Girl is burned alive in modern day, reincarnates as an unfortunate little girl whose adopted by her uncle and treated like crap, until she's sold off to the evil noble of the north whose so ugly he always wears a mask. Except he's not evil and also is actually a hottie. I'd state more but I'm terrible at summaries so check it out for yourself.

I will add however that if you think this will be a typical villainess story where she introduces the peasants to the glories of Capitalism..... well,

IIRC the idea here is that she can fight demons by being more ruthless than them thanks to growing up in an unforgiving capitalist hellworld. So she uses like underhanded tricks to win wars in the demon lands.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

I've been enjoying Virtues of the Villainess lately.
Ginger Tort has lived her life getting completely outfoxed by her rival Lerajie (every translater spells her name differently), but she discovers a novel that depicts the events of her own life, and a future where Lerajie seduces the crown prince. Ginger decides to take advantage of her knowledge from the novel to finally gain the upper hand and seduce the prince for herself.
It features a decent mystery and plenty of humor that I would say mostly lands. It's worst aspect is probably being a bit slow paced. Best aspect is how thirsty Ginger is.

Should mention it's absolutely not isekai but it shares enough tropes with the villainess subgenre I thought it worth posting about here.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think the fantasy stories that share tropes with the villainess stories, especially the one where they're already familiar with the "story" of their own life, definitely count.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

I could go for some sharply dressed helltaker-esque villainesses

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
We've got Beware the Villainess but could certainly use more

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Haven't seen I'm a Spider mentioned in the thread lately, it did get kind of dull around the time she was fighting that dragon, but she's on the surface now and encountered another reincarnator.

latest chapter

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I see she finally got enough Number to beat her mother's Number :v:

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

ThingOne posted:

I see she finally got enough Number to beat her mother's Number :v:

:eng101:Actually she had to make her mother's number smaller in order to beat it, her own number stayed the same!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
That series still has one of the best twists I've seen in the ".....yeah, they really weren't hiding that were they?" vein.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
I used to be a big fan of Spider when it was just the LN and web novel being translated until the translator quit, but if the manga adaption (and anime) ever get to the stuff I remember its gonna be a much wilder ride than Slime Isekai.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I actually really like Spider Isekai but it’s definitely one of the worst offenders when it comes to vomiting meaningless stats at you.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

We've finally at least hit the point where she has other things to interact with in ways that are not violence, and even has her head-voices back to chat with.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Revdomezehis posted:

Why does everyone in the fantasy world think the monster husband is ugly?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Galvanik posted:

Because he thinks he's ugly for unknown reasons, so he started wearing a mask and telling everyone he was hideous.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I think what's going on is that the monsters are attracted to pretty things, so the family cursed themselves into making everyone think they're ugly?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Galvanik posted:

So that the Heroine can keep him all to herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Is she still kinda murdery sociopathic?