Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

lmao here's a 70 page newsletter about the game we aren't making because we're spending all our time making newsletters

"Wow, I'm so up to date!" :downs:

I don't need to click on the quote to know what PDF you're talking about and I noped when I realized scrolling down a page was apparently too much for my monster workstation.
Better make sure you put in 8k pictures to show the details of that coffee maker in the super yacht.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Y
M
C
crash to desktop

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

nurmie posted:

I've always wondered just how much of SC's woes is the engine. I mean, it's obvious that the dev team is not great, but how bad is CryEngine (or whatever version of it they're using currently) actually? How does it compare to, say, Unity or UE in terms of ease of use and such?

It's a giant pain to use and sucks for things larger than a crysis map. I haven't met anyone who said they liked using it.
Had they just stuck to single player space missions and normal sized ground levels it could have been fine.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 18, 2020

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
I will get my 5950x and 3090 tomorrow with 4 TB of m.2 and the new 64 GB G.Skill 3600 RAM kit.
I felt stupid for spending 5 grand on a new loving Gaming PC.

But then I remembered that it’s like 1/5 of the Scam Citizen Legatus pack of Jpegs and ships to fly in a broken pre alpha sandbox tech demo without content in year 9 where my useless loving expensive rig won’t prevent CTD experiences or even run this lovely PTU smoothly.

I will install Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020, a real game, and I might even get 60 fps.

Thanks Chris Robbers, I feel better now.
Keep failing, CIG. See you next quarter.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Mr.PayDay posted:

I will get my 5950x and 3090 tomorrow with 4 TB of m.2 and the new 64 GB G.Skill 3600 RAM kit.
I felt stupid for spending 5 grand on a new loving Gaming PC.

But then I remembered that it’s like 1/5 of the Scam Citizen Legatus pack of Jpegs and ships to fly in a broken pre alpha sandbox tech demo without content in year 9 where my useless loving expensive rig won’t prevent CTD experiences or even run this lovely PTU smoothly.

I will install Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020, a real game, and I might even get 60 fps.

Thanks Chris Robbers, I feel better now.
Keep failing, CIG. See you next quarter.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

:thunk:

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

drat. So 3090 nvlink then :ortiz:

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I mean, I'm pretty bad at my job too, so I kinda know how he feels

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

he's so sweaty and glistening it's quite disgusting

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
wait I can just absolve myself of all my flaws and not put in any effort to change or manage them?

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
no you need to be Christ for that

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

feelix posted:

wait I can just absolve myself of all my flaws and not put in any effort to change or manage them?

Total trump move, just decide your not responsible for literally anything.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Blue On Blue posted:

I was so entranced by that poster over his shoulder I didn't notice how sweaty and gross he was.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Viscous Soda posted:

It's so weird to look at the early concept art on the Kickstarter page. Everything, from color schemes to the design style has changed since then.

and it's actually gotten a whole lot worse because those were pitch materials and marketing. at this point it looks like a game the developers put on a torrent site themselves to drum up interest. one where you randomly keep seeing assets from other games and it freezes after the first and only mission

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Play posted:

and it's actually gotten a whole lot worse because those were pitch materials and marketing. at this point it looks like a game the developers put on a torrent site themselves to drum up interest. one where you randomly keep seeing assets from other games and it freezes after the first and only mission

This happens with Kickstarters a lot, remember Mighty No 9?

Of course, it's not at all uncommon for visual design to change massively throughout a game's development, like with Team Fortress 2. But, and Epic Mickey comes to mind, the early stuff can become a problem if that's what the fans latch onto and they don't like it when the later product looks less interesting.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 18, 2020

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

There literally does not exist a more powerful gaming GPU than the 3090, so I'm really curious what those 7 additional horizontal points on the graph represent. The only exception to this would be dual 3090s connected with NVLink, but that requires specific built-in support from the game itself, which I am 100% sure Star Citizen does not have. Not to mention that this would only represent one additional data point, not 7.

Also I love how several of those nonexistent configurations are shaded to indicate that a significantly large portion of the player base is running them.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Devils Affricate posted:

There literally does not exist a more powerful gaming GPU than the 3090, so I'm really curious what those 7 additional horizontal points on the graph represent. The only exception to this would be dual 3090s connected with NVLink,

Ah yes, that setup would require a 1250watt psu and noise canceling ppe to protect you from the fan noise.

Clearly only the best for the best game ever.

Also a custom case, cause even most mid/full atx cases can't fit two 3090 above each other

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
I'm the family pet that wandered too close to an air intake and is now being slowly dragged, screaming, claws scraping gouges from tiles, into the whirling maw of fan-blade death.

Edit: on a simple makeshift tombstone erected above its backyard grave by mourning children, a single word:
"Fidelity"

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Atopian posted:

I'm the family pet that wandered too close to an air intake and is now being slowly dragged, screaming, claws scraping gouges from tiles, into the whirling maw of fan-blade death.

Edit: on a simple makeshift tombstone erected above its backyard grave by mourning children, a single word:
"Fidelity"

:perfect:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Blue On Blue posted:

Sandi is lurking in a vent directly above him, those are her secretions.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
the only way for star citizen to succeed now is for chris roberts to make the bold and courageous step of switching to a different engine

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Mozi posted:

the only way for star citizen to succeed now is for chris roberts to make the bold and courageous step of switching to a different engine

And he should actually not just use one engine, but multiple. Diversify his portfolio.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
again

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Mozi posted:

It worked for Daikatana!

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Devils Affricate posted:

There literally does not exist a more powerful gaming GPU than the 3090, so I'm really curious what those 7 additional horizontal points on the graph represent. The only exception to this would be dual 3090s connected with NVLink, but that requires specific built-in support from the game itself, which I am 100% sure Star Citizen does not have. Not to mention that this would only represent one additional data point, not 7.

Also I love how several of those nonexistent configurations are shaded to indicate that a significantly large portion of the player base is running them.

I wouldn't be surprised if commandos bought workstation gpus to get 50fps in Star Citizen

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Y
M
C
crash to desktop

You
Might
Crash
Again

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Citizens PLEASE write to your representatives in Congress to have RSI receive some of the NASA budget this year. That money is earmarked for space exploration and not a specific organization. Let Washington know that we the average American don't much care about sending a few astronauts to Mars when we could all explore distant galaxies right from the comfort of our own homes!

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I think I last looked at this tread two years ago and it's great to see I missed nothing.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Eurogamer: Chris Roberts "a bit too ambitious"

Source - GameSpot and IGN posted:

In the wake of the collapse of Digital Anvil, co-founder and soon-to-be-former CEO Chris Roberts has spoken about his decision to leave the company he founded just four years ago. As we suspected, the company's troubles were down to "wanting to develop not only hugely ambitious games, but too many hugely ambitious games", leaving the company's finances stretched after four years without a single game being released - the sole title to emerge with the Digital Anvil name on it was actually mostly developed by a small British company.

Having left the monolithic corporate world that is Electronic Arts almost five years ago to found Digital Anvil in the first place, it is somewhat ironic that his dream development studio is now being taken over by the monolithic corporate world that is Microsoft, and Roberts has confirmed that his decision to leave the company is simply because he has no desire to find himself in the same situation again.

We also have confirmation on the status of Digital Anvil's various games, with Chris Roberts apparently "spending a fair amount of time talking to other publishers" at the moment, trying to find a home for real-time strategy game "Conquest", which was dropped by Microsoft a few weeks ago, triggering the crisis that has lead to the company's demise. "Loose Cannon" will also be looking for a new publisher, with project lead Tony Zurovec leaving the company to complete the game elsewhere. Erin Roberts will be staying on at Digital Anvil though, continuing his work on an as-yet unannounced Xbox title.

But what next for Chris Roberts, the man who brought us the groundbreaking Wing Commander series? "I just want to see Freelancer out the door, and then I want to take some time to reassess everything. Taking three and a half to four years to build a massive title just seems like a huge amount of effort. There needs to be a better way to do it."

Rather worryingly though, according to GameSpot "he has expressed his interest to work in film and exploit broadband technology to us recently". Oh please god, no! Anybody who has had the misfortune to see the truly appalling Wing Commander movie will be praying that Chris has a sudden change of heart. Although he has produced some impressive games in his time, his debut movie was something of an unmitigated disaster, flopping at the box office and featuring some hilariously bad acting and dialogue which would be perfectly at home in a computer game cutscene, but just looks plain ridiculous on the big screen. We can but hope...

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Please note, that article is from 2000.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzLT6_TQmq8&t=84s

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Please note, that article is from 2000.

And mirrors exactly what is happening again, exactly 20 years later

Chris is way in over his head, over-sold and under-shipped (as in 300 million and zero respectively)

Hired his brother and Tony, again, among a bunch of other yes-men/women from his old days

The guy literally couldn't learn a lesson from his earlier gently caress-ups if they strangled him at home in his mansion

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
They are also repeating the dodgy money laundering again too....

e: Oh wait, that was Gizmondo... I lose track of all the scams.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Blue On Blue posted:

The guy literally couldn't learn a lesson from his earlier gently caress-ups if they strangled him at home in his mansion
To quote Sir Arthur Streeb-Greebling, "I have learned from my mistakes and I'm sure I can repeat them exactly."

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

How an anonymous donor saved me from ragequitting after 3 days of bug infested torture posted:

Hello commanders! citizens! (was corrected ty) o7

I have heard that this game has had more stable patches in the past and if I am playing the game wrong please let me know because this has been a nightmare. After 3 days I managed to go from $30k to having nothing in my pocket because of the consistent amount of glitches, completely obliterating both my life and ships.

I've died countless ways, from standing the train to falling through planets after spending hours hand-mining. I've experienced server lag so bad that I crashed into a terminal with $30k worth of goods. Another time I was fined $20k when the space cop didn't want to stop scanning my ship while waiting 5+ mins for it to complete.

Delivery missions end in failure 50% of the time because of weird glitches where either my ship completely disappears (engine is off, i learned that the hard way after it tumbleweeded), I slip through the very plane of existence (planet), or things don't always interact.

Handmining is pretty bad because there is rarely a stow button so it's a battle between inspect and grab until it appears making it take much longer to handmine.

I've exploded during a warp drive, crashed in the sky, lost connection a few times only to wake up in bed somewhere and countless amount of game crashes. Ces't la vie right?

I just about gave up when I lost all of my investment in cargo when some amazing soul gave me $35,000. I don't know who it was, I can't find a log about that person and no one spoke up in chat when asked but thank you! The money wasn't really that important but it was the gesture that reminded me to stay positive and not lose hope.

Some Youtubers are claiming they made like $10mil on their first week, but I keep losing money because of the bugs. It's frustrating and I understand that it's in an alpha state and I do like to support this game because it is what might be the ideal game for me, but it makes me so stressed to play it. The difficulty is to play the game without losing your progress from the unstable bugs.

Maybe I'm just not playing the game right, I am playing using LIVE which I thought was the most stable version, not PTU? I don't want to lose hope because this is "the" game I always wanted to play. Can anyone share any tips to avoid misfortunes please? I meet the minimum requirements, I have one of the fastest SSD on the market and my internet is wired gigabit. Sorry for the long post, just very sad/stressed.

quote:

The best way to earn credits in the game is just play the game. Don’t count the number of credits you’ve earned but count instead the number of risks you’ve taken, the number of hauls you’ve done and lost, the number of times you’ve been shot down by a bounty, or times you’ve failed a mission. Eventually, the numbers will go down, so you’ll have to risk more, fight harder fights, and take on more harder challenges.

Fall forward, learn to fail and go for no.

I’ll see you in the verse.

quote:

"Stability" is a relative term during alpha; the game is in active development and things aren't always playing nice and smooth. The PTU is a staging platform for release candidates of a patch before it's actually stable enough to deploy to live - but when a patch goes to live that doesn't mean everything's fixed, only that it's not SO broken that the entire community will rise up in anger with pitchforks.

If things are too unstable right now, then don't play the game so seriously for now - that way you won't feel as much anger and frustration if a bug randomly kills you, you weren't losing a ton of cargo or mission work. I've been playing SC like this for a good while, primarily sightseeing instead of going hard trying to make progress. Especially since there will be wipes between now and the permanent economy going live - it's been almost ten months since the last total wipe of the economy, but it'll happen again eventually.

quote:

My suggestion... "play" the game, enjoy the amazing immersion.. there's not much in progression, no levels, etc; and getting more credits gives you a goal so keep at it; but flying, mining, trading, fighting, even dying are all the things to do. I don't have much aUEC, but I dropped 50k on a citizen last night, had the same story as you, lost it all to a 30k.

If you need a ship to do a task, just ask, most people will loan you one.. borrow a prospector or a roc; you'll have aUEC flowing in less than an hour.

I lost a loaded Mole to some fool in a Bandu that kept chasing me, so frustrating, but in the end, I just thought of it as "that's the game" ... play for immersion, and then the glitches won't be so painful.

Once Alpha goes live, all that aUEC goes away anyway, so we'll all start over.. I think, right?

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"
Stability is a relative term

I’ll see you in the verse

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

gbs but from 2004 posted:

Stability is a relative term

I’ll see you in the verse

Don't count the credits you've earned, count the number of risks you've taken.

Every time you move, add to the total!

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Don't count how many lightyears this journey is, count how many friends you made along the way

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Don't count the time you lost because of this mess, just think of all the time you can waste in the future!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Star Citizen: IAE 2950 – The All New Nomad posted:

Jax is Back! Strap in for 13 days of aerospace exhilaration as pilots from around the 'verse come to see the newest and most iconic ships up close, and nearly everything on display is available to test-fly for free!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbaNf0YvpLs