Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

devs:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944917#post510047197

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I'm getting this error when trying to upload a photo from my library:

I made sure to turn off Live Photo, but that didn't matter.

Also, is there a way to stop the app prompting me to "save or delete my draft" whenever I try to exit from posting? I NEVER want to save. Thanks.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

UI request:

You know how we can change the colour of our unread bookmark numbers by assigning different coloured stars to threads? Can we make the blue star match the blue used in the selected theme in the app? The default (unbookmarked) colour for read threads could be the mid grey used on the 'Killed by...' test.

Another idea I had was to double the amount of posts per page to 80. This would be good for offline browsing and just easier browsing in general imo. Just as a toggleable option? A dolphin can dream.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mister Facetious posted:

Also, is there a way to stop the app prompting me to "save or delete my draft" whenever I try to exit from posting? I NEVER want to save. Thanks.

Look through the thread for the settings to make a Shortcut to do this step, it's easier.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Okay, I grabbed the Shortcut Marcus SA linked to, could you give me a step-by-step of how to use it? I haven't used any Shortcuts before.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Mister Facetious posted:

You can swipe downwards on the title bar of a draft to hide it with no confirmation dialog; this has the same effect as closing-and-saving the draft. Note that "saving" a draft post/edit within an Awful app thread merely means that you can tap the pencil icon to reopen that draft as it was when you closed it, or quote a post to insert its quoted text in the current draft; none of these drafts are saved longterm in any kind of Drafts folder. If you leave the thread and open a new one, any old draft is deleted with no confirmation required.

(Any devs plz correct me here if I've gotten the model wrong, thx!)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Grace Baiting posted:

You can swipe downwards on the title bar of a draft to hide it with no confirmation dialog; this has the same effect as closing-and-saving the draft. Note that "saving" a draft post/edit within an Awful app thread merely means that you can tap the pencil icon to reopen that draft as it was when you closed it, or quote a post to insert its quoted text in the current draft; none of these drafts are saved longterm in any kind of Drafts folder. If you leave the thread and open a new one, any old draft is deleted with no confirmation required.

I didn't know you could swipe down to cancel a post, I thought you had to hit the "Cancel" button :-p

However.

If I decide I don't want to use the quoted post I selected, but I decide I still want to post, or I want to use a different quoted post, what then? It automatically inserts the fucker unless I leave the thread and come back first. That's dumb.

At the very least, I would prefer the option to auto-delete instead of auto-save when I swipe down to cancel.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I also can't find any way to undo a cancellation. The only two options are save and discard, there's no "return to post" other than the long way round (save then post again).

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Test post from awful.app on my arm macbook :coolfish:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Leper’s Colony crashing Awful for me right now.

E: And now it’s fine, never mind.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Mister Facetious posted:

I have been having this issue as well. I was unable to post any images from the awful app the past few days.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

arbybaconator posted:

I have been having this issue as well. I was unable to post any images from the awful app the past few days.

Marcus SA posted this shortcut:

But no one's answered my question on how to USE it, as I've never used shortcuts before.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mister Facetious posted:

Marcus SA posted this shortcut:

But no one's answered my question on how to USE it, as I've never used shortcuts before.

Once it's installed (you have to accept non-signed ones or whatever), run shortcuts. It should say "Imgur to SA". Tap it, and it will bring up a picture chooser. Tap the pic you want uploaded. It will upload it and generate a URL & BBcode and put it in the Clipboard. Then just go to your post and paste from the clipboard.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Ran into an issue this morning. iPhone 11, iOS 14.2

Trying to quote a post in SAS. First press of Quote button unresponsive, second press brought me to Quote Post screen but the app minimized within a second. Upon bringing the app back up, the screen was on the forums list. Replicated 2 more times; never actually crashed the app.

Been having the same exact issue. This is on an iPad Pro, iOS 14.2.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Charles posted:

Once it's installed (you have to accept non-signed ones or whatever), run shortcuts. It should say "Imgur to SA". Tap it, and it will bring up a picture chooser. Tap the pic you want uploaded. It will upload it and generate a URL & BBcode and put it in the Clipboard. Then just go to your post and paste from the clipboard.

“Or whatever” doing a lot of work here, as the kids say

Can you elaborate on how to enable this untrusted shortcuts deely? Searching settings found nothing

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Can you elaborate on how to enable this untrusted shortcuts deely? Searching settings found nothing

Settings > Shortcuts > Allow Untrusted Shortcuts

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
https://support.apple.com/guide/shortcuts/enable-shared-shortcuts-apdfeb05586f/ios

The last "note" is important -- you might need to run some other shortcut first to get the setting. There's a built-in one that just shows you the last 5 screenshots you've taken. Give it access to your photos then click the play button. I think that should count.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

drat, once the hoops are jumped through that’s quite slick. Thanks!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Any plans on adding a “search this thread” function now that the forums natively have that feature?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Data Graham posted:

If you’re restricted by your employer you can get around it by rolling it yourself. It’s a pretty straightforward shortcut. Lmk if you need me to post the flow.

16-bit RDRAM
May 31, 2020

by angerbeet

Data Graham posted:

I used to get this when my work's MDM disallowed some icloud stuff

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Nuurd posted:

11 Pro to 12 Pro, so that could explain it!

I think that's it. I'll update the OLED screen list.

WhyteRyce posted:

Dumb dumb question but how do I just get the url of linked images?

If it's an image that's also a link, you should be able to long-press it and choose "Copy Image URL". If it's just a plain old link, you can tap it to open it in your browser, then tap the Share button and choose "Copy". If none of that's working, holler back!

Josh Lyman posted:

I’m in the latest app version 5.3 and iOS 14.1 on a XS. For a couple weeks now, I’ve been unable to post photos. Mine are stored High Efficiency. I’m not sure if this coincided with my update to 14.1 from iOS 13. Screenshots seem to work since I was able to show the error here.

Looks like maybe I'm not saving the photo in the right format. I'll take a look.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Would it be possible/difficult to block tweets from specific users from rendering similar to the ignore user feature? I’m tired of seeing people post this @dril person in D&D.

Probably not.

arbybaconator posted:

Just chiming in to say that this app is very good and I have been using it daily for several years.

Thanks and same!

Disappointing Pie posted:

Same. Been using it for nearly as long as it's been around. I feel guilty I'm in the TestFlight but I never report anything, but honestly maybe that's because it's generally rock solid for me. I infinitely prefer using the app over the actual website.

Don't feel guilty! TestFlight is largely a sanity check for me, as I'm pretty bad at testing configurations I don't tend to use, but as history teaches us even the most irrelevant-seeming options in the control panel can conspire for pain. If there's nothing to report, that's great!

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Ran into an issue this morning. iPhone 11, iOS 14.2

Trying to quote a post in SAS. First press of Quote button unresponsive, second press brought me to Quote Post screen but the app minimized within a second. Upon bringing the app back up, the screen was on the forums list. Replicated 2 more times; never actually crashed the app.

Well that doesn't sound great. Can you link the post?

Also, and this could be just me being pedantic, when you say the app minimized and then reopened on the forums list, that sounds like a crash to me? What distinguished it from a crash?

Xenomrph posted:

Should I be able to upload/embed pictures into posts right from the app? Because for the life of me that feature hasn't worked in a long time.

Yes, but it breaks often, isn't much fun to work on, and I rarely use it myself, so it's usually in some state of disrepair. I'll +1 the issue though :)

Warbird posted:

Bit of a weird ask, but would it be possible to have Twitter video embeds gracefully transition from portrait to landscape while playing instead of kicking you back out to the forum? I know Twitter stuff can be weird because Twitter.

I can try, but my hopes aren't very high. And while it's a weird ask you aren't the only one!

Thanks! Next Awful version does the needful.

Mister Facetious posted:

I'll +1 the upload issue.

No current way to shut off "save or delete my draft". I'm not opposed to a setting for it though.

spanky the dolphin posted:

UI request:

You know how we can change the colour of our unread bookmark numbers by assigning different coloured stars to threads? Can we make the blue star match the blue used in the selected theme in the app? The default (unbookmarked) colour for read threads could be the mid grey used on the 'Killed by...' test.

Another idea I had was to double the amount of posts per page to 80. This would be good for offline browsing and just easier browsing in general imo. Just as a toggleable option? A dolphin can dream.

Theme bit certainly sounds doable.

Posts-per-page is on the list, but a bunch of stuff currently assumes 40 posts per page, so we'd have to untangle that before changing it. (And ideally I wouldn't have tangled it up in the first place, but here we are!)

Grace Baiting posted:

(Any devs plz correct me here if I've gotten the model wrong, thx!)

I completely forgot about dragging to dismiss, so what happens there is entirely unintentional. Everything else is intentional. And it all sounds correct.

Clark Nova posted:

Test post from awful.app on my arm macbook :coolfish:

Ooh nice! Lemme know if anything is broken.

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Any plans on adding a “search this thread” function now that the forums natively have that feature?

Yep, though I have no idea when!

Skeezy posted:

Been having the same exact issue. This is on an iPad Pro, iOS 14.2.

Are there particular posts where it's happening (and can you link one)? Or does it seem more random.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

I hit save draft on my post. How exactly do I retrieve this draft?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

glassyalabolas posted:

I hit save draft on my post. How exactly do I retrieve this draft?

Hit the reply button in that thread again.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
Someone earlier mentioned Twitter embeds make the app really slow and a link to a page was asked for but never provided. This page does it for me:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946225&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=2849

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

pokeyman posted:

Ooh nice! Lemme know if anything is broken.

Trying out on my MacBook Pro M1. Overall, pretty good! Haven’t hit any major blockers and it looks pretty good apart from the elongated titlebar. If that extended into the top bar so it blended that would look nice IMO.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Red Baron posted:

Someone earlier mentioned Twitter embeds make the app really slow and a link to a page was asked for but never provided. This page does it for me:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946225&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=2849

Weird, XR here and I’ve never been to that thread before and everything loaded pretty much instantly for me.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

Weird, XR here and I’ve never been to that thread before and everything loaded pretty much instantly for me.

Yeah I'm on an old SE and though it takes about a second for the tweets to load (during which some parts of the page don't render while scrolling) after that it's all smooth for me.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

EL BROMANCE posted:

I will add that it does seem to be hit-or-miss for me even on pages with a ton of Twitter embeds. Having only followed this thread for the last few pages i anecdotally will also say that “app hopping” does seem to exacerbate the issue, but I can’t empirically confirm that.

I will definitely say that the longer I read that thread the worse the issue has gotten, so I’m not sure if there’s some caching issue happening.

Perhaps semi related there was some conflagration of stickied threads in that forum recently that caused my view of it in the app to become a random mashup of stickied threads and actual new updated ones about a month ago that was only resolved by deleting the app and then reinstalling it, but I cannot honestly remember if this was an issue before or not.

I also would add that this doesn’t seem to just be an issue on Twitter heavy threads, but I have also had issues scrolling past just embedded images. I want to say that this may have only become a real issue since I enabled experimental features in my user CP? I’m not sure how to best provide data for this, but I’m willing to grab whatever would help.

I’ve definitely enjoyed this app more than enough to try to be of whatever assistance I can!

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I think someone had this issue earlier, but right now if I try to view the lepers colony the app crashes.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

`Nemesis posted:

I think someone had this issue earlier, but right now if I try to view the lepers colony the app crashes.

That was me. The loading smilie did its thing for a few seconds and then the app crashed, it happened like three times and then suddenly just worked. Works fine for me now too. Dunno what caused it.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

lepers colony worked when i saw the original post about that, but crashes now. i sent a crash report.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I got a crash when I tried to open Leper’s Colony. I can browse it now, but I’m guessing it might have to do with YouTube embeds in probation/ban reasons? This is what I see in app. Opening a browser window shows there are actually YouTube links.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

gonna ask here before perhaps bringing it up in QCS, but is the lowtax thread tag pulled directly from the forums themselves and as such is something active on both parts, or is it something that remains in the app? it would be nice if that disappeared now that he is gone

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
What’s the deal with Twitter? A lot of the time tweets load like in the screenshot below. But then later on the same page (or after a reload) the tweets embed as expected. Is this an Awful app problem?

By the way, Awful app is anything but. Please keep up the good work.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Twitter’s API is a dumpster fire and causes all kinds of dumb errors and race conditions all the time. If tweets aren’t embedding right it’s 99% likely to be Twitter’s problem not SA or the app.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

If in doubt, it's always Twitter.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Another observation about Twitter: the media in this tweet (a cringe-inducing snippet of Ready Player Two) has been DMCA'd, but I can still view it embedded in the Awful app. The Twitter app itself blocks it.

https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1331655456691867648?s=21

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you viewed it before it was taken down it’s probably just cached. It doesn’t show up for me in the app, likely because I never saw that tweet before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

If you viewed it before it was taken down it’s probably just cached. It doesn’t show up for me in the app, likely because I never saw that tweet before.

Same.