Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay, that's good to know. I was worried i'd have to start the Castle from the start again.

Also, Persona's are just Stands, right? Like I get a real Jojo vibe off the same, especially season 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, that's good to know. I was worried i'd have to start the Castle from the start again.

Also, Persona's are just Stands, right? Like I get a real Jojo vibe off the same, especially season 4.

persona is jojo as hell, yes

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

https://old.reddit.com/r/Persona5/comments/if9n8i/i_recently_got_to_kaneshiros_palace_and_it/g2m83aw/?context=3

quote:

Part 1 is the awkward beginning, hard to go back to but setting up the franchise we all know and love.

Part 2 has some of the old cast meet up with a new one to investigate a threat that was looming over the first one. Also, nobody expected the Third Reich to show up.

Part 3 is something of a re-imagining, setting into motion new elements that would become standard for the series going forward, and has a main enemy that is tied to one of the main cast member's grandfather, as well as recurring major fights with enemies based on the Major Arcana.

Part 4 is a somewhat more light-hearted story, taking place in a small city, where a group of teens who would be normal if not for their super powers search for a serial killer.

Part 5 features a group of criminals taking a stand against a corrupt authority who abuses those under his power while keeping his identity as the head of a criminal syndicate away from the spotlight.

Quick, which franchise!?

(not mine unfortunately)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Oxxidation posted:

persona is jojo as hell, yes

Needs more posing. I do wish I had named my character something better and more thematic.

Yes My name is...uh, Bob Waifs. Yea, and my Persona is called Mule Variations.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

So we’ll get Persona Ocean in a prison and face a gay priest of Kandori handing out personas to enemies as our next villain?

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Aug 31, 2020

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Honestly that would rule. I always found the persona series to be a bit lacking in persona user vs persona user combat and having a mirror team of antagonists (like in Persona 3 but better) would be great.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
Just snagged this on sale, played most of vanilla (up to the boat) and fell off.

1. I remember the best SP recovery options were curry and the patches - is this changed?

2. Is it feasible to do a max S link run without a guide? Golden made it a lot easier with the extra month

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
The patches are still great, but Royal gives you a ton of other options to play around, as well as more accessories. If you explore a bit and try some things, you can get around without using the patches at all and still clear the palace in one day. There is a sidequest for every palace that restores a bit of SP, Mementos lets you buy a certain number of SP recovery items per run, there's also a drop item in Mementos that can potentially plop out lots of SP items, etc.

I got mine maxed without a guide, mostly by abusing Fortune's relationship boosting ability. If you do that, along with the usual stuff like having a matching persona equipped and do some decent guessing for answers, you should be fine. Had a month to spare, plus the new month.

Some social links have cutoff points now. Justice no longer ranks up automatically and you need to get it to Rank 8 before the obvious cutoff point. The new Councillor link has to be done before mid-November, which the game tells you about several times to make absolutely sure you get it. Both are required for the new month. Faith needs to be Rank 5 before the new month and I've heard that Sun becomes unavailable after the last palace.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah SP usage is a lot less intensive now. The first dungeon will still push you but I found it much more feasible to clear it in one day, and from the second dungeon on it's much easier.

I had the benefit of knowledge from my first playthrough, but I ended up with everyone maxed before the original end of the game with time to spare in Royal, and that's even with needing to do the three new links and small QoL stuff like darts. Devil is really just the most annoying one in my opinion since she has a few early ranks where you have to hang out with her a few times unless you abuse Fortune. Her skills are still the worst of the bunch despite them completely revamping hers and Hanged Man in Royal, too.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
So that's why Futaba wanted Sae's laptop!

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So P4G is on PC now, I always wanted to try this game since I saw a buddy play it in college way back in 2009. It's a lot of fun. And apparently now Atlas is considering Ports of their other Persona games.

I am looking forward to a NG+ where I don't have to waste half my evenings reading books or studying (Keeping my max social stats).

Also, I think I'm doing the game right, but while I've been fusing tons of different Persona's, I've held on to the starter Izanagi. Using skill cards, Shuffle Time level up skill cards, Persona stat boosts, and Shuffle Time level up Cards, I've gotten Izanagi to Lv 63 by Naoto's dungeon with top of the line skills. He's far and away the strongest Persona I got even though I have some of top tier Social Link personas in the party too.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Nov 10, 2020

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I guess this is a big bump but I'm going through P5R for the first time after beating P5, and how many people got mad at the Okamura fight, because I imagine it's a lot.

It's actually not a terrible idea for a fight, but given that it's a game that tends to have pretty quick fights, having a battle suddenly rely on relatively complex use of setting up baton pass chains with zero leadup to it (you can basically ignore baton pass chaining prior to this fight) was.... not a good decision.

Also the arena fight in Sae's palace remains the funniest thing ever with physical reflect. I don't think it's possible to lose with that.

anyway fundamentally i think this game is like what people say about Bethesda games where I can fixate on everything it does wrong but the core gameplay loop is so strong that I don't really care that much at the end of the day. Yuskue being a total loving weirdo goofball compared to his image is still my favorite cast quirk.

e) also for all the changes I like that they still couldn't make Ohya's social link worth a poo poo. Which is a shame because I like her vibe

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 18, 2020

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think Okamura's fight would've been fine if the drat robots animations didn't take forever.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i'm also laughing my rear end off in the last palace because with just basic use of Ryuji's instakill ability and doing mementos requests, every single mook except minibosses is pinging as green and I'm just running through everything leveling up

also is it just me or is Debilitate crazy broken

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's good, but I wouldn't say it's broken. Just an end game skill that lets you save a couple turns.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Gaius Marius posted:

I think Okamura's fight would've been fine if the drat robots animations didn't take forever.

It ended up being basically luck based for me, relying on Morgana proccing with Miracle Punch to give me an extra stack for a complete Baton Pass move

still only took like 45 minutes to complete but for a fight that's basically about getting the right series of moves in the right order, that's not very fun

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 18, 2020

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It ended up being basically luck based for me, relying on Morgana proccing with Miracle Punch to give me an extra stack for a complete Baton Pass move

still only took like 45 minutes to complete but for a fight that's basically about getting the right series of moves in the right order, that's not very fun

Weirdly, the technique most ppl ended up using to beat it was to change the difficulty to Merciless for that fight, because it torques up hitting weaknesses so much that you hardly needed to complete the entire baton pass sequence.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I actually enjoyed the Okumura fight on Hard, though it's definitely made easier if you've started Star so you can swap party members as needed. I think my team was Ann/Yusuke/Haru to start, and then I swapped Haru for Morgana at some point, but it's been a while. Making use of the Psy/Curse attack items are helpful, as well as having a Persona with Marakunda.

I think I enjoyed the idea of the Okumura fight because it's not often you get to pull out all the system's effects like weakness hitting, Baton Pass, etc. against a boss. I think the final big robot can also be critted which is nice for letting Yusuke get off his moves that power up after a Baton Pass.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
before I played royal i suggested using the boatload of elemental attack items you were making in your evening free time to trigger baton pass and then i played it and proved my theory.

I like to think the psy attack items are like aersolised LSD bombs you made in your attic.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think I enjoyed the idea of the Okumura fight because it's not often you get to pull out all the system's effects like weakness hitting, Baton Pass, etc. against a boss. I think the final big robot can also be critted which is nice for letting Yusuke get off his moves that power up after a Baton Pass.

I like it too, in theory, but the problem is that there simply isn't enough of the game that requires you to play it tactically at that level. It still annoys me that a lot of the bosses kind of just turn into pure damage-based brawls.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I like it too, in theory, but the problem is that there simply isn't enough of the game that requires you to play it tactically at that level. It still annoys me that a lot of the bosses kind of just turn into pure damage-based brawls.

You would think that they’d have kept up the little boss tactics. They were mostly just flavor for what was basically still a slugfest, but it added to the thievery theme.

Honestly, just one boss fight that was basically a retreat to get away with the loot would have been great.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Been a bit since I played royals hard mode but it took me a few tries and I had to rely on some of my Psy Magatamas to help with weaknesses but it eventually worked

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How soon before we start getting more on Scramble? Late winter '21?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
just found out Akechi unlocks as a Tycoon opponent after Christmas in the Thieves Den, goty

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Dawgstar posted:

If it’s anything like persona 5 or SMT V delays could be a few years on top of any announced dates.

Also in recent news they were interested in porting more of their back catalogue on steam and elsewhere because of how successful Goldens port was. That could have an impact potentially

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dawgstar posted:

Just today there was leak news about the localization on an Asian retailer's website.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Feels Villeneuve posted:

just found out Akechi unlocks as a Tycoon opponent after Christmas in the Thieves Den, goty

I probably have a dozen or more hours playing Tycoon. Basically the same thing I played in high school with everyone, but instead of real people I get to play it with anime kids while in a pandemic lockdown.

Getting the game's soundtrack to play to was a nice touch too.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ryuji and Futaba are the best Tycoon opponents. I guess Ann's my default third, but sometimes I like beating a cat at cards.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I wish you could switch between Detective Akechi, rear end in a top hat Akechi and Twisted Psycho Path Akechi for Tycoon. Actually you should be able to play all of them at once

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so I've never played a persona game before

I beat the first boss and I'm sorta trying to work on getting my companions bonds / my stats up. I have a 2 in every stat except the one you boost from traps, and I've gotten a few ranks with every bond I've been introduced to so far.

I'm on like 5/15 or something.

I guess I'm trying to decide if I'm making good progress, or if I'm behind, etc.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Don't even worry about it on your first playthrough. There's more than enough time to see all the links from every character you care about.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

eonwe posted:

I beat the first boss and I'm sorta trying to work on getting my companions bonds / my stats up. I have a 2 in every stat except the one you boost from traps, and I've gotten a few ranks with every bond I've been introduced to so far.

I guess I'm trying to decide if I'm making good progress, or if I'm behind, etc.

As long as you're doing something with a benefit, your time is being spent well. You won't see absolutely every link from every character, but there's more than enough time to see everything you care about.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah. You almost can't gently caress up in p5 unless you just go and sleep everyday. It ain't like p4 where your protagonist would waste a whole day using a vending machine

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

My first playthrough I spent the first month studying non-stop because I thought the knowledge stat was going to be important for the midterms and then nope just wasted a bunch of time and now all my other stats are at 1

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The social stats are definitely annoying to raise. Remember to always have an unread book in case you get a free time slot to read on the train. Also every Sunday a stand in the subway corridor sells a drink that gives you some social Stat points without spending any time. Other than that I wouldn't worry too hard, unless you're outright skipping poo poo you aren't loving up as long as you're doing something productive.

Also if you're playing Royal and not base P5 definitely don't worry. I maxed all social stats in 5R way too easily.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 19, 2020

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ty folks and yeah I picked up Royal

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Also remember that some confidants like the death arcana give you social stats as you level them up. Those are good to do early on to shave off a few days of going studying etc. over the course of the game. It's not necessary but it's nice to give more leeway.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

eonwe posted:

Prioritise social links over stats as some of the social links give free stats. You'll feel dumb if you spend 6 months maxing all your stats then spend the rest of the game getting stats from social links that go into the void.

Fortune gives an ability at a certain rank that lets you spend money every day to raise points with a confident if they aren't ready to level up. Unlocking this and using it is the most important thing to be able to max out everyone in one run. After that rank 10 Temeperance has a good ability that saves times.

CJ fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Nov 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Temperance is less valuable than she was in vanilla P5, I think, but still definitely one of the absolute most-valuable confidants to rank up