Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

sportsgenius86 posted:

Anyone with the last name Byrd, related or not, should be barred from reffing or judging fights, just to be safe.

Literally the only good thing I can say about Robert Byrd is that he’s not the most incompetent person in his family.
Let’s get Marlon Byrd out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Well at least somebody is doing their part to get Terence Crawford against other top welterweights soon

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticBOX/status/1328053312776589314

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
He's doing it

https://twitter.com/Canelo/status/1328839605324558336

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

The SituAsian posted:

Well at least somebody is doing their part to get Terence Crawford against other top welterweights soon

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticBOX/status/1328053312776589314

good

good

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
That’s very soon

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

I’m so pumped. A canelo fight before Christmas wow

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
https://twitter.com/ringwalkjon/status/1329480962904707072

i want to see a picture of the flaccid gloves

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

This is a big opportunity for Foster so he won't pull out but if I were him I would definitely consider pulling out of the fight over this poo poo.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

This may be wildly hot-takey, I think if you find one of the boxers was conspiring to illegally assault his opponent, you should probably not let that boxer do boxing.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Make Roman fight with those giant cartoon carnival gloves

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
sorry i forgot my gloves and went and borrowed an old pair from moe syszlack's boxing shrine

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

'ahha they call that the attempted murder. they don't let you use that no more.'

'yeah whatever thanks'

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

The SituAsian posted:

This is a big opportunity for Foster so he won't pull out but if I were him I would definitely consider pulling out of the fight over this poo poo.

Foster ended up stopping Roman in R9 after pretty much dominating the fight, so the whole glove thing meant exactly rip-poo poo.

Decent little card and good to see more prospects on TV. Rafe Bartholomew (who brought his boxing newsletter back with support from Ring City after The Athletic cut him due to the pandemic, in full disclosure) probably put it best that boxing has suffered since USA Tuesday Night Fights/ESPN Budweiser Boxing/Friday Night Fights all got axed, as they were cheap ways to support promising fighters and get them in front of a national audience, who then would want to see them on a weekend card and maybe plunk down money for it if need be.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Scuffed TikTok desperately trying to get people to pay $49.99 to watch Tyson/Jones and Jake Paul/Nate Robinson

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1331729831961255938

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

The SituAsian posted:

Scuffed TikTok desperately trying to get people to pay $49.99 to watch Tyson/Jones and Jake Paul/Nate Robinson

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1331729831961255938

this was already kind of stupid when it was just a cash-in exhibition but i don't want roy jones to get hurt in the process

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I'm excited to see how Dubois-Joyce shakes out. :toot:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Declan MacManus posted:

this was already kind of stupid when it was just a cash-in exhibition but i don't want roy jones to get hurt in the process

https://www.instagram.com/p/CH3BjqMlQ98/?igshid=1os0g5y46a6tf
It’s either a KO from Tyson or he rips a muscle/ligament in an early exchange. Jesus christ he’s jacked.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1332249833336397824?s=19

A moment of silence for our fallen GOAT please

EDIT: Some of you may also know Panya Pradabsri by his in ring name, Petchmanee CP Freshmart. So Wanheng and Knockout CP Freshmart may have been unwilling to fight but in the end CP Freshmart always gets their man

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 27, 2020

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

which of the ali frasier fights would you consider to be the best?

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

LLCoolJD posted:

I'm excited to see how Dubois-Joyce shakes out. :toot:

:hmmyes:

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1332453169419464705

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Congrats to RJJ for still being able to make money at this despite having a KO defeat to Enzo Maccarinelli on his record.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

I’m so angry that I’m going to watch this tomorrow night.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

That's a hell of a farmer's tan RJJ got going on him there. Who gets gassed first? Tyson by the end of the first or RJJ when he steps into the ring?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I’m not looking forward to Nate Robinson getting chin checked by a (sigh) more experienced fighter.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

which of the ali frasier fights would you consider to be the best?

iii (manila) is an all time classic, i (fight of the century) is also fantastic but i prefer iii because of its brutality and because watching old crafty ali is always a treat

if you’re looking for viewing recommendations, skip the second fight. ali spends most of it clinching

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

I’m so angry that I’m going to watch this tomorrow night.

I'm gonna get a Fiverr job to write a college essay on the real enemy being yourself based on this pic:

Then we can watch in good conscious e: conscience, since I don't expect any of us to be in the ring with Mike.
For real, though, that's a shot that creates a very visceral reaction I haven't put into words.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Any ideas what time it will be starting tomorrow?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
What are some of the better boxing documentaries out there on YT, Netflix or Amazon Prime?

I've watched several of the obvious more famous ones (most of the Tyson ones, Assault in the Ring, Legendary Nights and most of the Ali ones) and am mainly interested in the seedier and weirder side of the sport like the one I bolded and things like the Aaron Pryor v Argeullo "juice" bout.

TIA

Also, anyone paying $50 to watch this poo poo tonight is a god damned moron. Is there even and undercard?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, anyone paying $50 to watch this poo poo tonight is a god damned moron. Is there even an undercard?

Internet sensation Jake Paul will take on NBA legend Nate Robinson.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

I would love to be proven wrong, but surely Mike and Roy have the most gentlemanly agreement that two gentlemen ever agreed on, right? Is anything really gonna happen?

Would it be more likely that youtube douche and Nate Robinson have a real fight, as one of them is a dipshit and the other is new to the sport and the business?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The undercard also featuring legitimate fighter Badou Jack, who was also on the undercard for Mayweather-McGregor

The prelims have a bunch of made up titles including the vacant wbc American silver lightweight title, which is perhaps the fakest belt imaginable

As for Tyson and Jones, the commission and the promotion have been saying different things. The commission says they’re treating it like an exhibition, so they want no KOs or cuts etc and there will be no official scorecards. The promotion will have exfighters unofficially score it and have basically said that they can’t stop a knockout from happening.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Stealth Tiger posted:

I would love to be proven wrong, but surely Mike and Roy have the most gentlemanly agreement that two gentlemen ever agreed on, right? Is anything really gonna happen?

It's gonna suck. Neither one was anything close to a good fighter when they retired and, as always, with loving Mike in the ring who the gently caress knows what happens or what "rules" get thrown out the window? It's pretty sad.

In their prime(s), these 2 guys were among the best I ever saw and were truly dominant for a long stretch. I've NEVER seen a fighter as dominant as Mike was in his heyday. No one. Jones was, for a good while, considered the greatest pound for pound fighter in the sport whose rep only suffered because no one in his weight class was a real challenge to him but when he lost it, he lost it hard. Now we're expected to pay $50 for something that would be an eye rolling plot point in another Rocky sequel.

This is going to be complete trash.

kimbo305 posted:

Internet sensation Jake Paul will take on NBA legend Nate Robinson.

Oh. Well in that case, on second thought, let me just go find my credit card.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Jump King posted:

The undercard also featuring legitimate fighter Badou Jack, who was also on the undercard for Mayweather-McGregor

The prelims have a bunch of made up titles including the vacant wbc American silver lightweight title, which is perhaps the fakest belt imaginable

As for Tyson and Jones, the commission and the promotion have been saying different things. The commission says they’re treating it like an exhibition, so they want no KOs or cuts etc and there will be no official scorecards. The promotion will have exfighters unofficially score it and have basically said that they can’t stop a knockout from happening.

i think they’re just trying to build hype

if they’re not scoring for real and the match doesn’t count, you’d have to actively be hunting for a ko for one to happen; i think both fighters would be satisfied with showing that they still “got it” at 50 for a few rounds before they both suffer the actual effects of age in terms of stamina and durability

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i do hope that Legitimate Athlete nate robinson knocks out jake paul, but i can catch that in gif form if it does happen

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Yea I’m not paying for it but I pray Nate Robinson causes irreparable damage to Jake Paul

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yea I’m not paying for it but I pray Nate Robinson causes irreparable damage to Jake Paul

if this happens I will torrent it

otherwise I'm gonna pretend it isn't happening

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Dubois vs Joyce in a couple of hours. Hyped for this one.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

In my scouting of Nate’s training, he’s got good coordination but no power or zip to good padwork. Jake Paul is much bigger, so landing a shot will be hard. Paul has pretty good instinct for his right hand and, sigh, has a lot more experience. I liked this freakshow better when it was AB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/frankwarren_tv/status/1332769762934476803