Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I love it when people talk about how PPE is unnecessary or dumb or too constraining etc.

Because then I know they’re an idiot and can safely ignore any other advice they give me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Bad with fingats: the knife and cutlery thread.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Am I the only one here who's been cooking all his adult life and yet has never chopped anything off. What the hell yall.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I always get super nervous watching contestants on Top Chef just fly through stuff with a mandoline using only their bare hands.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
I don't wear gloves when I chop and have never had a serious incident. I do realize that it is probably a good idea to use them though.

I did slice my finger tip off using a spiralizer by hand (the hand crank mechanism wasn't able to grab onto this specific cabbage, so I was spinning it with my hand). I immediately went out and bought gloves and always wear them when I'm in that situation again. I was amazed how there was absolutely no resistance; it sliced through my finger like warm butter.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

I sliced my thumb with a mandolin while wearing cut resistant gloves. Apparently my giant hands stretched the weave enough to render it useless. Went back to using sharp knives and staying injury free.

Bad with metacarpals

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Brain Curry posted:

I sliced my thumb with a mandolin while wearing cut resistant gloves. Apparently my giant hands stretched the weave enough to render it useless.

This explains some experiences I’ve hand, hmm.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

DaveSauce posted:

Chopping onions/carrots/celery/garlic/etc. is infinitely easier with a chef's knife. Faster, too. I mean, I guess it's not strictly necessary, but go google some "how to chop vegetables" or "how to use chef's knife" videos or something and watch.

I'm having a tough time thinking of how you'd chop an onion without a chef's knife.

how often are you eating onions? how often are you cooking carrots, as opposed to just eating them?

garlic i'll grant, but in the past i only would have put it in a sautee, and i don't sautee things very much anymore. there's just much more filling sources of fat than oil.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

how often are you eating onions? how often are you cooking carrots, as opposed to just eating them?

garlic i'll grant, but in the past i only would have put it in a sautee, and i don't sautee things very much anymore. there's just much more filling sources of fat than oil.

Onions are a pretty common thing to add to dishes. I'd say we go through one of those grocery store mesh bags of them every two weeks or so.

Eschatos posted:

Am I the only one here who's been cooking all his adult life and yet has never chopped anything off. What the hell yall.

I've got a gnarly scar over the knuckle on my left pointer finger that I got from a steak knife, but not from cooking.

I was opening the gently caress awful blister pack on a new cleaver ten years ago with it, it popped out because I was being super stupid and unsafe, and cut the finger to the bone right over the side of the knuckle. :saddowns: No tendons or major muscle involvement thankfully.

The second dumb thing was not going and getting stiches because I was a broke as gently caress grad student and it happened during the summer when my university health insurance wasn't in effect. Hence the super funky raised scar.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Doc Hawkins posted:

Onions carrots and celery go in a meal as a base at least once every two weeks. I usually use an onion in fried rice dishes or hash browns once a week. I buy onions by the bag now so they're always available. They're a building block for a lot of my meals.

Get a chefs knife. Eat onions.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mirepoix? More like mirepass, no thanks!

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000
Failed Sega Accessory Ahoy!
Soffritto? Soffri-no thank you very much.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

StormDrain posted:

i have one, the issue is how rarely i use it.

it has a sharpener in the sheath, which i'm sure is also terrible somehow.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

StormDrain posted:

*bites into onion tony abbott style*

god, this is terrible, how do people eat these

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

This explains some experiences I’ve hand, hmm.
Also wear gloves if you're doing the thing from your avatar

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

BMan posted:

*bites into onion tony abbott style*

god, this is terrible, how do people eat these

As a kid I used to sit there with an onion in one hand and a salt shaker in the other and eat the onion like an apple. Turned out to be GWM because eating out is cheaper when you're only paying for one........

For some BWM semi-content I got a rescue dog a month ago. She cost me $500 to adopt and transport, probably another $1000 for food, treats, toys, crate, etc, a couple hundred for expected medical care (vet visits, de worming, etc), a few hundred in puppy classes shes been too sick for so far and $5k in emergency care and an MRI because of seizures to find out shes got a bum brain.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
A good knife is worth it for the tang

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

I always get super nervous watching contestants on Top Chef just fly through stuff with a mandoline using only their bare hands.

There are many finger condoms through the seasons. They just don't dramatize it like hells kitchen.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

captkirk posted:

For some BWM semi-content I got a rescue dog a month ago. She cost me $500 to adopt and transport, probably another $1000 for food, treats, toys, crate, etc, a couple hundred for expected medical care (vet visits, de worming, etc), a few hundred in puppy classes shes been too sick for so far and $5k in emergency care and an MRI because of seizures to find out shes got a bum brain.

:smith:

I'm sorry

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

i have one, the issue is how rarely i use it.

it has a sharpener in the sheath, which i'm sure is also terrible somehow.
:psyduck:

there is no way that is a good thing

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Doc Hawkins posted:

how often are you eating onions?
all day err day

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I find that the most efficient approach is to just stab myself at the beginning of every meal-prep and get it over with. Plus, my prime rib au jus (sanguine) is to die for.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've got a gnarly scar over the knuckle on my left pointer finger that I got from a steak knife, but not from cooking.

I was opening the gently caress awful blister pack on a new cleaver ten years ago with it, it popped out because I was being super stupid and unsafe, and cut the finger to the bone right over the side of the knuckle. :saddowns: No tendons or major muscle involvement thankfully.

The second dumb thing was not going and getting stiches because I was a broke as gently caress grad student and it happened during the summer when my university health insurance wasn't in effect. Hence the super funky raised scar.
Choosing not to go to the hospital in the U.S. while uninsured for things you live through is pretty much always GWM.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Bad with markets: investing based on month old announcements. Worse with markets, seeing the price rise as confirmation you're right.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/11/nikola-stock-soars-after-confused-investors-think-gm-deal-has-closed/

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Even as a single person I go through a large onion every 2-3 days. It's the base of nearly half of the things I cook.

Doc Hawkins' no-knifing diet must be either really fascinating stuff with lots of raw vegetables or really horrifying.

Thanatosian posted:

Choosing not to go to the hospital in the U.S. while uninsured for things you live through is pretty much always GWM.

The state of things is bad enough that I once cut my middle finger badly enough working on a car that I had no feeling in it for two years, and at no point did I think "I should have gone to the hospital." Getting just a scar is definite GWM.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

If you have decent healthcare and can afford to go to the hospital, go to the hospital. It's one thing to not rush to the ER for a cut that just needs pressure and some gauze, but you don't want to gently caress around with dumb, long term effects because you were too cheap to throw down your co-pay.* I say this as someone with a hosed knee that was made much worse by another bout of grad school "I'll ignore it for a while because I can't afford this poo poo." Turns out if poo poo starts healing on its own your options when you finally go to the Dr. might be much more limited.

If I could go back I'd eat more ramen that month and pay to have it looked at right then. I didn't, so now here I am ten years later with a knee that is a bag of poo poo.

*like all things this is dependent on you being able to afford it. If that's the situation you're in that sucks and I guess make do, but that's less GWM than being a victim of a hosed health care system.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Dip Viscous posted:

The state of things is bad enough that I once cut my middle finger badly enough working on a car that I had no feeling in it for two years, and at no point did I think "I should have gone to the hospital." Getting just a scar is definite GWM.
Got hit in the head with a tire iron during a mugging attempt, passed out for a couple of seconds about ten minutes later (like, full on hit my head on the kitchen counter on the way down). Almost definitely had a concussion, didn't go to the hospital over the fairly strenuous objections of the EMTs.

I later Googled, and there's only about a 1-2% percent chance of dying from an untreated concussion, I still consider it one of the best decisions I ever made, especially given that I got a job about six weeks later with wages the hospital definitely would have been able to garnish, and would have probably refused to negotiate over. I'm sure I'd still be paying that poo poo off to this day (this happened about twelve years ago) if I had gone.

You should beat the poo poo out of anyone who calls an ambulance on you while you're capable of beating the poo poo out of people; it's essentially an act of financial terrorism in this country.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Soylent Pudding posted:

Bad with markets: investing based on month old announcements. Worse with markets, seeing the price rise as confirmation you're right.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/11/nikola-stock-soars-after-confused-investors-think-gm-deal-has-closed/

It's kind of like when Pokemon Go came out and everyone started buying Nintendo because they didn't realize Pokemon was a separate company. Or the major stock flash crashes caused when someone pushes years old news articles to the top of Google News.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

The junk collector posted:

It's kind of like when Pokemon Go came out and everyone started buying Nintendo because they didn't realize Pokemon was a separate company. Or the major stock flash crashes caused when someone pushes years old news articles to the top of Google News.

Lol my personal favorite was a long time ago when a redditor was discussing their genius plan to buy lots of Take Two Interactive stock (owns Rockstar) the week before GTA IV released, as that's totally gonna sell a lot and no way wall street already had that info. The stock went from 26 to around 7 less than a year later. Although it's up to 165 now so maybe it was a long position.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lol my personal favorite was a long time ago when a redditor was discussing their genius plan to buy lots of Take Two Interactive stock (owns Rockstar) the week before GTA IV released, as that's totally gonna sell a lot and no way wall street already had that info. The stock went from 26 to around 7 less than a year later. Although it's up to 165 now so maybe it was a long position.

After reading this thread I think we all know they panic sold it at the bottom. Also bought it on credit. They then complained on Reddit that they couldn't sell their Funko pops because...

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Thanatosian posted:

Got hit in the head with a tire iron during a mugging attempt, passed out for a couple of seconds about ten minutes later (like, full on hit my head on the kitchen counter on the way down). Almost definitely had a concussion, didn't go to the hospital over the fairly strenuous objections of the EMTs.

I later Googled, and there's only about a 1-2% percent chance of dying from an untreated concussion, I still consider it one of the best decisions I ever made, especially given that I got a job about six weeks later with wages the hospital definitely would have been able to garnish, and would have probably refused to negotiate over. I'm sure I'd still be paying that poo poo off to this day (this happened about twelve years ago) if I had gone.

You should beat the poo poo out of anyone who calls an ambulance on you while you're capable of beating the poo poo out of people; it's essentially an act of financial terrorism in this country.
There's a reason one of(possibly the?) most common causes for bankruptcy in the US is medical bills. :smith:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I lost a chunk of a fingertip (somewhat thematically, using a super dull Fibrox Victorinox knife that I never sharpened) forcing it through a sweet potato. I was able to take care of it, but I lost a lot of blood but at the time I didn't have health insurance and there was no way in hell I was going to the urgent care place a few blocks away.

I bought a mandoline maybe a year after that and have always used cutproof gloves. The blade tore my first one open, but the glove did its job and fortunately none of my hand went with it. I don't think anyone mentioned it yet in here, but if you ever buy a mandoline never count on using the guard, because they like universally feel like poo poo to use. A cutproof glove gives you the same degree of safety while not feeling like you're using one of those toy grabber tools.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Just lol if you don't don full 16th century plate armor over your gambeson before wielding your sharpened steel in the kitchen.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Power of Pecota posted:

I lost a chunk of a fingertip (somewhat thematically, using a super dull Fibrox Victorinox knife that I never sharpened) forcing it through a sweet potato. I was able to take care of it, but I lost a lot of blood but at the time I didn't have health insurance and there was no way in hell I was going to the urgent care place a few blocks away.

I bought a mandoline maybe a year after that and have always used cutproof gloves. The blade tore my first one open, but the glove did its job and fortunately none of my hand went with it. I don't think anyone mentioned it yet in here, but if you ever buy a mandoline never count on using the guard, because they like universally feel like poo poo to use. A cutproof glove gives you the same degree of safety while not feeling like you're using one of those toy grabber tools.

I got over it. I use the little handle thing as soon as I'm about 1/3 through the thing I'm slicing. Far enough to get stability, not far enough to get remotely close to my fingats.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Soylent Pudding posted:

Just lol if you don't don full 16th century plate armor over your gambeson before wielding your sharpened steel in the kitchen.

chainmail is the optimal one. the polymer ones are not reusable after a cut and kitchen plate gloves actually do exist but need to be fitted and that costs a lot

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I'd contribute, but I'd have to tell the butler to ask my chef what he does with the knives, and that's just so much work.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

quote:

So i have a situation where my co founder has moved to US to establish our US operations. Im still in AUS running operations here. My question is, should we get paid the same (currency value) since our agreement at the start is we would?

For example as he is in the US, he is now being paid 150k USD. Im in Aus and im being paid 150k AUD. Yes its the same number but different currency = different exhangce rate and value.

Not sure who i could speak to, to find the right answer from other similiar situations.

I can't even begin to imagine how anyone thought this would make sense.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Co-founder is lucky he didn’t move to Japan.

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR
Or Vietnam! Exchange rate to USD is like 16,000:1.

That co-founder is definitely being extremely GWM but that's pretty dodgy.

When I was moved overseas for work, I got a promotion and a fixed annual "cost of living" bonus to my salary which covered the fact that I'd need to rent a place over there, fly back home from time to time etc. Every country is different but in most cases people are moving from higher COL to lower COL to set up new offices so it's a good general approach to take.

The cost of living gets even more confusing when exchange rates change over time. I was accidentally GWM when the AUD dropped 25-30% in a year but my salary was pegged to the new currency. Nnow our policy with our expats is to re-normalise their salaries to their AUD contract equivalent (our HQ is in Aus) at the start of every financial year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

A good knife is worth it for the tang

Full tang ain't nothing to gently caress with