Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Katt posted:

I remember in Dune. Frank Herbert made the heroes so drat pragmatic and cynical that he felt he had to make Baron Harkonnen rape and kill children just to put the scales back in order as to who the villain was.

It seemed kind of hamfisted to be honest because the Baron was good villain in his own right.

Very true. Though he at least dropped that quickly. For most of the other books, the antagonists tend to be on an even moral keel with the Atreides, or even a bit higher considering they are not having a fanatic crusade sterilize dozens of planets in veneration of a false god. It becomes Status Quo Pragmatics versus Future-Seeing Extremists.

Of course, then it degenerates into sexual mind-control guerillas, because sci-fi authors can't not be weird about sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

See also: Fantasy authors

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

Alpharad's having a rough one

Lol this literally happened to me once with UberEats. Thankfully there was only a few duplicate orders.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

A defense that's also used is that "it was like that back then" which is a pretty fundamental misunderstanding of how ancient societies worked. They had laws. Lots of people hung up on the Viking craze are all about the raping and pillaging but the British Isles had pretty extreme laws against assaulting women even when the Danelaw covered most of the east coast with Danish settlers. Sexual violence obviously happens all the loving time and it's terrible but it's not a valid defense to put it in your story "because that's what it was like back then" since it was considered just as heinous back then as it is now. It's hack writing to either make you sympathetic to a female character in lieu of giving her actual character, or it's an attempt to make an edgy story about a lawless world that doesn't represent the reality you're ostensibly drawing inspiration from.

Also I had to learn that yeah, food existed in the past, it wasn't all gruel and hard stone bread or people just not knowing what the gently caress they were doing. Like, I knew that sandwiches and lobster were thought of as low class food and black slaves in America made fried chicken because they were given garbage to start with but I never really thought about it beyond that.

Thanks Townsends!

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 20, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RareAcumen posted:

Thanks Townsends!

I had to look this guy up and this channel seems fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nlo-4ugeFU8

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

I always think of his song "What If Civilization Had Lyrics?" when the song (Baba Yetu) not only had lyrics (the Lord's Prayer in Swahili) but it also won a Grammy.

lmao

Arcsquad12 posted:

townsends is great, love that friendly history dad

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He's more nutmeg than man!

Edit: Interesting thing I've learned from his channel is how old recipe books were very vague about stuff like measurements.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 19, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

id take brentalfloss over those white guys who said the nword over the double dragon soundtrack. thats absolutely the most embarrassing nerdcore music thing i can remember the internet being into

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Also I had to learn that yeah, food existed in the past, it wasn't all gruel and hard stone bread or people just not knowing what the gently caress they were doing. Like, I knew that sandwiches and lobster were thought of as low class food and black slaves in America made fried chicken because they were giving garbage to start with but I never really thought about it beyond that.

Thanks Townsends!
Also see learning that people in the past liked and used colors other than grey and brown.

Endorph posted:

id take brentalfloss over those white guys who said the nword over the double dragon soundtrack. thats absolutely the most embarrassing nerdcore music thing i can remember the internet being into
An embarrassingly low bar.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

An embarrassingly low bar.

no there's still neil cicierga's meme music pseudo mashup stuff. that's the lowest point

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Impermanent posted:

no there's still neil cicierga's meme music pseudo mashup stuff. that's the lowest point

I'm gonna go with the goon that tried to do the same thing when Girl Talk was big.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

I mostly remember the bizarre sexist aside in their megaman video

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Neil Cicerega is genuinely a genius at a very dumb thing IMO.

Brentalfloss has some cute/fine stuff but ultimately his gimmick it to just sing over already popular nerd music. Also some of his stuff is all 'yeah its mario jump in the pipe save the pricess mario yeah' and other times it's 'if you like tetris you must have a vag and boobs'.

The tetris thing was really strange, like is that even a thing people associate with tetris it was pretty popular with everyone I thought? I remember seeing the youtube comments when it came out out and everyone was just like 'I genuinely don't understand why you've done this, brentalfloss' and I think he said it was supposed to be an absurdist joke, the kind of funny joke where you disapoint and confuse your fans by writing sexist nonsense haha.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

quote:

3) TETRIS WITH LYRICS

(ONE-Y AND A TWO-EY AND A THREE AND FOUR)
SHAPES MADE OF FOUR COLORED BLOCKS LIKE A T OR A BOX COME DOWN LIKE FALLING BRICKS
YOU CAN PLACE THEM IN ROWS, BUT EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT THEY MADE THIS GAME FOR CHICKS (HEY!)

MOM JUST LOVES TO FLIP AND STACK
GRANDMA SAYS THIS poo poo IS LIKE CRACK! (WELL IT IS!)

THIS IS THE GAME GIRLS DESERVE, THERE IS NO LEARNING CURVE
WHICH MAKES IT GREAT FOR NOOBS (GRRREAT FOR NOOBS!)
IT WILL FILL YOU WITH GLEE, ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE A VAJ AND BOOBS (HEY!)

YOUR MOM LOVES IT, MINE DOES TOO (MINE DOES TOO)
CALL ME SEXIST, BITCH IT'S STILL TRUE (JUST KIDDING ABOUT THE BITCH PART)

DEEP IN A GIRL'S DAINTY BRAIN, THERE'S A SPOT NEAR A VEIN (RIGHT HERE)
WHICH REGULATES THEIR BLISS (THE T-SPOT)
ONCE THEY SEE FALLING BLOCKS, THE T-SPOT UNLOCKS
AND THEY START TO SING LIKE THIS (SING!)

LA LA LA LA LA LA LA
WE LOVE TETRIS, LA LA LA LA

HERE IS A TRICK I HAVE LEARNED
TO AVOID GETTING BURNED
WHEN YOU PISS OFF YOUR CHICK (I’M SO MAD!)

IF YOU SING THIS ON KEY,
IMMEDIATELY SHE'LL FORGET THAT YOU'RE A DICK (TRY IT!)

LA LA LA LA (I'M STILL MAD.) LA LA LA (IS THAT THE TETRIS SONG?)
LA LA LA LA (I LOVE TETRIS!) LA LA LA (I’M HAPPY NOW!)

TETRIS HELPS WHEN CHICKS WANT TO NEUTER US (SNIP, SNIP, SNIP)
IF YOU LOVE IT, YOU PROBABLY HAVE A UTERUS!

the mid 2000s were a dire time

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb-ajY8M6gI&t

so i was bored last night and trying to sleep and youtube recommended it to me. its like the dumbest theory video i have seen and i am not even sure what the theory is. helped me sleep though.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Brentalfloss is pretty meh but this is his best work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE5fmZrqtL8

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
^^^
Quite suprisingly a pro click right there.

Casey Finnigan posted:

Oh holy poo poo I forgot just how bad that was, god drat lol.

Anyway here's a good version of the tetris theme with lyrics to wash the taste away:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 20, 2020

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Casey Finnigan posted:

Wanna bet that there's some keyboard warrior defending it because it was before EVERYONE WAS OFFENDED?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Casey Finnigan posted:

we're back once again at adding lyrics to video game music that already has lyrics.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so i was bored last night and trying to sleep and youtube recommended it to me. its like the dumbest theory video i have seen and i am not even sure what the theory is. helped me sleep though.
I tried to watch this when it popped up in my recommendations a couple of days ago but I tapped out, when the author showed 3 instances of skin reveals a second time just if you didn't get that, that was what you were supposed to focus on in a video titled "Skin Theory".

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it's a shitpost op

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Dapper_Swindler posted:

But why was that gorilla underwater in the first place?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Grimbeard did another excellent review, this time of Fallout 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXhthU0_P9E

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Vonnie posted:

it's a shitpost op

I assumed it was some weird parody in the vein of quiton or something but I think it’s legit.

Sarcopenia posted:

I tried to watch this when it popped up in my recommendations a couple of days ago but I tapped out, when the author showed 3 instances of skin reveals a second time just if you didn't get that, that was what you were supposed to focus on in a video titled "Skin Theory".

Sure but it’s still super loving vague like I think the dude just doesn’t get jokes.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Sarcopenia posted:

https://twitter.com/4eyes_/status/805851294292381696

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I assumed it was some weird parody in the vein of quiton or something but I think it’s legit.

Sure but it’s still super loving vague like I think the dude just doesn’t get jokes.

Nah, it's a parody/joke. There's a few hand tips in the video, but the credits confirm it, even though Poe's Law is quite real when it comes to stuff like this. Although it's more a parody of terrible videos like the Game Theory ones or the plethora of "What if children's show was really dark and edgy!" than something like Quinton or what gets posted here.

"Well, I sure hope Skin Theory is real, otherwise Spongebob gave that poor fish 3rd-degree burns. How horrifying is that!"
"The man in the horse suit was the guy who voiced Klaus on American Dad, another proof of Skin Theory. The show was really ahead of its time (because American Dad came out 2 years after that episode aired :)).

I liked it overall. It's a long joke based entirely on the meta humor of it existing. I like stuff like Episode One though and used to write snarky articles on fake symbolism to piss off my English teacher so it spoke to my soul. Plus I got it recommended to me through Twitter by a person noting it was a deeply committed joke, so that was my headspace going in. I was actually getting ready to link it and you beat me to it.

It sucks a little since it being that long is part of the joke, but well, it's an hour-long shitpost. Although it's a good excuse to watch a ton of Spongebob clips.

Plus the end kind of drops the conceit to point out that he just really wanted to make a video about how much he liked early Spongebob and was saddened by Hillenburg's Death.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Motto posted:

I mostly remember the bizarre sexist aside in their megaman video
oh yeah, Duane and Brando

That was uncomfortable

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

RareAcumen posted:

Also I had to learn that yeah, food existed in the past, it wasn't all gruel and hard stone bread or people just not knowing what the gently caress they were doing. Like, I knew that sandwiches and lobster were thought of as low class food and black slaves in America made fried chicken because they were giving garbage to start with but I never really thought about it beyond that.

Thanks Townsends!

Tasting History also seems to be pretty good for this, although I always think the guy presenting it is the son of Peter Rosenthal from the the Onion's movie review.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Mr Phillby posted:

Oh holy poo poo I forgot just how bad that was, god drat lol.

I remember reading somewhere that he regrets doing that now for what it's worth.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

https://twitter.com/AshBCoffin/status/1329754140310974466?s=20

What did she think vagina museum wrapping paper was going to look like? Everything they sell is vagina themed.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Katt posted:

https://twitter.com/AshBCoffin/status/1329754140310974466?s=20

What did she think vagina museum wrapping paper was going to look like? Everything they sell is vagina themed.

Is there a cock museum? I feel like there should be a cock museum that does that.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Archer666 posted:

Is there a cock museum? I feel like there should be a cock museum that does that.

https://phallus.is/en/

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.

During an unexpected layover in Reykjavik a few years ago my wife and I went to this penis museum on a lark. Being hungover and queasy, the novelty of a room full of severed penises in jars wore off for me quickly. Lotta pickled dicks with frayed masses of tissue at their base.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pickled Dicks sounds like an obscure British foodstuff.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
i'm pickled dick

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Archer666 posted:

https://dailysciencefiction.com/science-fiction/other-worlds-sf/sheila-marie-borideux/the-third-martian-dick-temple

Reminds me of this goon-written SF short story.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

i'm pickled dick

He turned himself into a dick its a funniest poo poo I've ever seen

This goes on my to-visit museum next to Japan's cool poop museum

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

muscles like this! posted:

He's more nutmeg than man!

Edit: Interesting thing I've learned from his channel is how old recipe books were very vague about stuff like measurements.

Instructions too. Phrases like "prepare in the usual style" show up a lot in Townsends and Tasting History.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Townsends is great. He also frequently does episodes with Michael Twitty, that are about Black and Indigenous food of the time period (often specifically enslaved people, for obvious reasons) which are really worth seeking out if you're interested in that sort of thing.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Katt posted:

I remember in Dune. Frank Herbert made the heroes so drat pragmatic and cynical that he felt he had to make Baron Harkonnen rape and kill children just to put the scales back in order as to who the villain was.

It seemed kind of hamfisted to be honest because the Baron was good villain in his own right.

Calling a paul a hero is a bit debatable. The whole point of the book is how he failed to stop a galaxy wide genocide and cult put into his name, while(in the sequels) effectively killing an entire culture. yeah hes not raping children, but its a good example of hero vs protagonist.

then his son turns into a worm and get gets weird about sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

New Folding Ideas on that wacko documentary pushing geocentrism that tricked Kate Mulgrew and some physicists into appearing in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icwDF8wRgF4