Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

really depends on whether the person in question is an ex-con or associates closely with ex-cons

yeah poor people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i learned some very interesting slurs from the ex cons i used to work with.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

if you call someone a "goof" in canada you'll get stabbed because it means pedophile lmao

Sagebrush posted:

really depends on whether the person in question is an ex-con or associates closely with ex-cons

it's this. you'll generally know if you're in the kind of company where that term is unwelcome

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

yeah poor people

i grew up with a lot of poor people. only a few of them would have taken issue with being called a goof

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Reminds me of the "I should be in this Poof!" arrested develoment gag.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Holy poo poo.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

i grew up with a lot of poor people. only a few of them would have taken issue with being called a goof

I live poor and it's dire fighting words lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

when i was a teen in brampton, my old next door neighbours were newfies. some of their friends would probably tune you up for throwing goof around

hanging out with them was great because after about two drinks the accents would start to kick in harcore

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

back in february a student asked me if i thought classes would be cancelled because of this virus thing happening in china. i said nah, it looks like china has it under control, and i doubt it'll spread to the rest of the world.

whoops.

anyway at least i was right about china i think? they've had apparently a near zero case load for most of the year, or at least that's what they're telling everyone

seems pretty under control from where i am. took a trip last month to wuhan itself even and things were like 90% back to normal and nobody i know knows anyone who got sick. well except one guy in my wife’s grandmothers village who died of covid back in february

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I live poor and it's dire fighting words lol

in my experience you have to have some connection to the correctional system to know that meaning of goof. obviously there is a lot of overlap between people who are poor and people who have been to jail or know people in jail.

my connection is that when dr. dad was on call he'd do a lot of the required psychiatric treatment for the kiddy diddlers at the kingston pen. learned aaallll about goofs

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 20, 2020

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hosed up if true

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

in my experience you have to have some connection to the correctional system to know that meaning of goof. obviously there is a lot of overlap between people who are poor and people who have been to jail or know people in jail.

it's when you're waiting for the bus and someone calls someone else a goof and it's immediate MMA face punches everywhere while you lean against the bus shelter and watch

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

#edmontonlife

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Canada makes me feel better about how dumb and violent Americans are.

Also the Edmonton pawn shop documentary

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I just walked by there to buy smokes te other day and a dude was dragging a shopping cart out the door

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Canada makes me feel better about how dumb and violent Americans are.

i remember when i first started learning about canada's treatment of indigenous people

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SmokaDustbowl posted:

if you call someone a "goof" in canada you'll get stabbed because it means pedophile lmao

guessing Goof Troop didn't get a lot of play up there lol

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

Video Nasty posted:

Holy poo poo.

lol our accents are hosed up but there are so many. can’t place those guys but they tend to vary pretty strongly by region, you can usually tell where someone is from p easy

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fart simpson posted:

seems pretty under control from where i am.

yes we know. ilu and im not trying to start a fight but the rest of the world is living in hell

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

yes we know. ilu and im not trying to start a fight but the rest of the world is living in hell

i know but sagebrush kinda asked

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

not trying to brag or anything. we actually had quite a few euro and american employees bail out of china when the news first hit right before chinese new year and they mostly spent the year still stuck working from home in hellworld unable to return and in hindsight would have been better off staying. i feel kinda bad when talking to them

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

scottch posted:

lol our accents are hosed up but there are so many. can’t place those guys but they tend to vary pretty strongly by region, you can usually tell where someone is from p easy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-lARm9cQWY

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have to imagine that if you were in china during the lockdown orders and you decided to pull some bullshit like this https://www.minimallycompliantmasks.com/ they would just throw you right in prison without a trial and frankly we need more of that in the usa.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sagebrush posted:

i have to imagine that if you were in china during the lockdown orders and you decided to pull some bullshit like this https://www.minimallycompliantmasks.com/ they would just throw you right in prison without a trial and frankly we need more of that in the usa.

back in february there was a video going around of a cop shoving an elderly man to the ground off his bicycle because the old man wasnt wearing a mask

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Sagebrush posted:

wtf i love china now

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Hmm. I'm not actually sure that on the whole, competent authoritarianism is better than the incompetent kind they have in the states.

It handles some types of crises better I guess.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Fortaleza posted:

Reminds me of the "I should be in this Poof!" arrested develoment gag.

one of the profs I did mol. research for came in and found us playing around in lab and called us a couple of poofs (she was british) and I was never sure how offended I should be

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol why hasn’t failure to wear a mask been pushed as a “snowflakes who can’t even breath thru a mask that a pathetic nerd elite doctor can”

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

echinopsis posted:

lol why hasn’t failure to wear a mask been pushed as a “snowflakes who can’t even breath thru a mask that a pathetic nerd elite doctor can”

You'd be surprised at the American ability to hold equally oppositional ideas.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

yanks are fuckin stupid and crazy

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i think in american prisons the otherwise mild insult that actually means something terrible is "punk"

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Jonny 290 posted:

you know ive never seen snatch. queuing. ty smoka

it's real good

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Jabor posted:

Hmm. I'm not actually sure that on the whole, competent authoritarianism is better than the incompetent kind they have in the states.

It handles some types of crises better I guess.

i've tried explaining to multiple people that their authoritarianism is why china has been able to crack down on the virus so effectively not some loving conspiracy where they manufactured it and the vaccine at the same time

and then i have to shift to explaining that no- i'm not saying that chinese authoritarianism is "good"

so now i just don't bother

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

newfie accents gently caress with my head, uncanny valley irish

woah what the gently caress I had to look it up

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i've tried explaining to multiple people that their authoritarianism is why china has been able to crack down on the virus so effectively not some loving conspiracy where they manufactured it and the vaccine at the same time

and then i have to shift to explaining that no- i'm not saying that chinese authoritarianism is "good"

people think the epoch times is an actual newspaper and not just more junk mail

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

SmokaDustbowl posted:

people think the epoch times is an actual newspaper and not just more junk mail

is that the falun gong newspaper

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

PIZZA.BAT posted:

new zealand also implemented strong measures to keep it out, only difference being they were able to stop it at the border mostly, instead of quashing a local outbreak. i would hesitate to call those measures authoritarianism, as opposed to necessary measures needed to take care of or prevent a health crisis. is it really a loss of freedom to limit the actions of people short term, so that they have much more freedom later, as we're currently seeing in new zealand and china? i'd feel more free right now in the us if we'd taken drastic measures earlier, and cases weren't popping off now

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

fart simpson posted:

is that the falun gong newspaper

Yes, and they've managed to latch onto trumpers

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

qirex posted:

democrats are literally more concerned about what republicans say about them than their constituents

what are they going to do, vote R?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Broken Machine posted:

new zealand also implemented strong measures to keep it out, only difference being they were able to stop it at the border mostly, instead of quashing a local outbreak. i would hesitate to call those measures authoritarianism,

that doesn’t stop conservatives in the US and elsewhere from doing exactly that

they literally say NZ is suffering under tyranny and needs to be “liberated”

I suspect it’s only being a white English speaker that’s kept the PM from being assassinated by the CIA (because that’s only done to Others)