Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Snackmar posted:

Also, even though I've known her for years, it was only a few months ago that I found out my fiance does Picross on paper in puzzle books - which I hadn't realized was a thing but duh, of course it is

I don't remember why exactly is started doing picross in puzzle books, since I rarely do puzzle books, but I was hooked real fast, finishing book after book of them. Honestly there's something I like about them over video game picross.

Edit: AoC releases in 20 minutes and I know I'm not going to get to sleep by then so I'm going to want to play it but if I do my day tomorrow is fuuuuucked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
She settled on Cat Tails and Picross S.

We're handing the Switch back and forth playing Picross in bed. This games going to be a problem.

I may have to buy one of the other games. I see us spending a ton of time on the puzzles.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Switch port of Doom Eternal is now a "digital-only" release, the physical release has apparently been cancelled.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

She settled on Cat Tails and Picross S.

We're handing the Switch back and forth playing Picross in bed. This games going to be a problem.

I may have to buy one of the other games. I see us spending a ton of time on the puzzles.
I think Picross has co-op play so if you want you could each have your own joycon and fill puzzles in together simultaneously

night slime
May 14, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What's wrong with the Splatoon Pro Controller? Mine's been trucking along solidly for years :confused:.

I mean it wasn't for me. There's some alleged d-pad problem but you hardly use that in Nintendo games, or at least the ones I've played on it.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Stardew is the best game ever made

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Its easily one of my all time favorites

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Stardew is the best indie success story cause the creator made a buttload of cash and is now spending his time adding more stuff to the game as free content.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Leal posted:

Stardew is the best indie success story cause the creator made a buttload of cash and is now spending his time adding more stuff to the game as free content.
And he hasn't even pivoted to open nazism!

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Pretty good posted:

And he hasn't even pivoted to open nazism!

If ConcernedApe pulls a milkshake duck then nothing is good in this world

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Age of Calamity is fantastic. No noticeable slowdown so far (docked) and there are plenty of enemies and effects on screen. Especially with Impa, holy moly. I have only completed the second mission and I can tell this game is going to get its hooks in me big time.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The pro controller d-pad is *generally* fine, but when you're holding a direction, especially up, it tends to rock sideways when you don't want it to.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Ragequit posted:

Age of Calamity is fantastic. No noticeable slowdown so far (docked) and there are plenty of enemies and effects on screen. Especially with Impa, holy moly. I have only completed the second mission and I can tell this game is going to get its hooks in me big time.

I dunno if it's just me then but during/after certain moves I am noticing a mild frame rate drop, while docked. It's not enough to kill my enjoyment, but it also doesn't seem like much of a performance upgrade from the handheld demo...

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Age of Calamity is cool so far but I am having trouble wrapping my head around all of the new stuff like the Shiekah Slate, walljumping and gliding, Wizzrobe wands, etc. I'm sure I'll get used to it but it does seem a bit more nuanced than the original game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dabir posted:

The pro controller d-pad is *generally* fine, but when you're holding a direction, especially up, it tends to rock sideways when you don't want it to.

It is generally fine, but you'll realize what's actually wrong with it REAL fast if you try playing Tetris99.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It is generally fine, but you'll realize what's actually wrong with it REAL fast if you try playing Tetris99.

Or Puyo

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I noticed it when I was trying to use one of the weapons in Mega Man 10.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Stardew is getting couch co-op in the next update and I can't fuckin waiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Stardew is getting couch co-op in the next update and I can't fuckin waiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Well poo poo I’m buying it when that update is released for sure.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Sorry if this has been posted already, but here's my take on Mario 3d All-Stars' recent patch:

They added support for Sunshine to use god's own controller, the GCN controller, which is cool, and they even added support for the analog triggers - but, unfortunately, the analog trigger functionality only differentiates between "partially pressed" and "fully pressed". It doesn't recognize the difference between a slight press for a light spritz of water and a heavy-but-not-clicked press for a strong flow that still lets you walk around. For this reason and this reason alone, I think the Pro Controller is still superior to the GCN controller for Sunshine. Hopefully that's fixed in another patch!

(Inverted camera and FLUDD controls still own bones though, especially with the one-button option to set all controls to either "Classic" or Modern")

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
So they didn't actually add support for analog triggers then

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
They didn't say they were going to did they?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

drat, Blasphemous has ended up really impressing me. It's full of janky weirdness and there are a couple aspects that are straight up bad, but I'm really impressed by the way it progresses. It's hard for me to pinpoint what makes a Metroidvania memorable to me these days, but I think the world design (not just in terms of level design, but art/music and quest design and stuff) really does a lot of the work in this game. Death's Gambit sounds similar in a lot of ways if you read about it but it completely soured for me by the end, and I think a lot of it was that the story and world started to completely fall apart and hold no interest to me.

It's also just impressive that such a blatantly Dark-Souls-inspired game can actually still manage to carve out a unique identity, but I guess it makes sense when they're also leaning more heavily into Spanish Inquisition stuff specifically with a nice twist of... Heironymous Bosch? Well, some genuinely disturbing art either way. E: Oh wait, of course it's Goya.

Martman fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Nov 20, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What's wrong with the Splatoon Pro Controller? Mine's been trucking along solidly for years :confused:.

Mine has a chronic issue with a sticky X button and recently started have stick drift. I'd get it fixed, but lazy and covid.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I hope the horse in BotW2 can go up walls.

:hmmyes: and also let us ride two horses at once

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here

The Kins posted:

The Switch port of Doom Eternal is now a "digital-only" release, the physical release has apparently been cancelled.

Im just glad its still coming, been waiting patiently

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Morter posted:

Let me fish all day without getting sleepy :argh:

Let me walk at more than 5 pixels per second

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

That cool little Genki dock everyone loves is on sale for 60 bucks. Finally convinced myself to pick one up.

https://www.genkithings.com/products/covert-dock

Edit: right you have to add it to the cart to see the discount, some site wide 20% off Black Friday thing.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Nov 20, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Vegastar posted:

That cool little Genki dock everyone loves is on sale for 60 bucks. Finally convinced myself to pick one up.

https://www.genkithings.com/products/covert-dock

the link says 75 dollars :thunk:

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

the link says 75 dollars :thunk:

Add it to the cart, it’s some kinda site wide 20% off thing.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Tetris 99 got an update that did some dead zone sensitivity stuff. I exclusively play T99 with the Pro Dpad now, and missed inputs are rare for me.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I've unlocked two of the champions in AoC, and I'm liking how every character is fairly distinct this time around. Makes me want to jump between them to try to see if I can get better at their quirks.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Urbosa is so good, it took me awhile to get used to her mechanics because I tend to be a little too mashy but wow it feels great playing as her.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Morpheus posted:

I've unlocked two of the champions in AoC, and I'm liking how every character is fairly distinct this time around. Makes me want to jump between them to try to see if I can get better at their quirks.

They were in HW1, the only character who is more or less the same is Link.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Not to make this AoC chat but: Impa has 2 ways to PLACE symbols: Her ZR move and her charge 4 [Y-Y-Y-X], right?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Pretty good posted:

I think Picross has co-op play so if you want you could each have your own joycon and fill puzzles in together simultaneously

This sounds so awesome! We're gonna give this a whirl later tonight.

Picross is really fun and I'm hyped to finally have it! I passed out and my wife stayed up til who knows when playing it. She's really into cross words, sudoku, and other puzzles. I suggested she check out the Picross in the SNES collection a few weeks ago but she wasn't convinced by it, but she's glad she took a gamble on a modern version. I foresee us buying S2-S4.

I'm itching for a new game too and I'm really torn.

I want Hyrule Warriors DE, Age of Calamity, BOTW, and 3D All Stars.

I played HW with no extras on the Wii U, it's lots of fun. DE Seems to be packed to the gills with enough content for a life time.

The AoC demo plays just like HW, except it's nicer looking and sounding. Probably has less content, but would I really ever play enough extra content to justify buying HW a second time? Probably not.

BOTW I played once on the Wii U, but I really want to play it again. Except now, a few years later, I simply cannot stand being tethered to a television (or staying close to the Wii U console) and now having the Switch's awesome sleep function.

I never played Mario 64 or Sunshine, and only briefly played Galaxy for a few days when it launched because I was in the middle of a tough semester in college. The limited availability in the near future has really instilled a sense of FOMO in me and my local gaming store still has physical copies.

I think my wife could get into BOTW and the 3D collection. She's never really dabbled in 3D games aside from playing through Mario 3D World with me. I'm going to trade in some Wii U games and probably buy one or both of those. I think BOTW would be a great way to introduce her to modern game mechanics in about as a low stakes gaming situation as possible outside of something like Animal Crossing.

Maybe even throw in one of the HWs... It's going to be a long, boring, shut in winter and nothing of interest is releasing until Mon Hun in the spring.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

They were in HW1, the only character who is more or less the same is Link.

Not really - I mean, the characters had different moves with different hit zones and such, sure, but they more or less played the same. You hammered light and heavy attacked, blocked, that stuff.

In AoC, Link can fire arrows, okay neat. But Urbossa can charge up lightning, either mid-combo or outside of attacks, to unleash more attacks after combos finish. Darunia can throw down rocks as part of his combo and leave them, blowing them up in later attacks. And Zelda is...I have no idea, she tosses around various sheikah slate effects that I can't even track.

Even with different weapons on Link (the one think I find frustrating is that so far Link is the only one with different styles of weapons), things are different - for example, equipping a two-handed sword means he can use health-based attacks in place of strong attacks to perform powerful moves.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 20, 2020

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

The Kins posted:

Was certain to be one of those releases that makes you download a bunch of poo poo before you can play it anyway, like the first one, so it was kinda pointless.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Morter posted:

Let me fish all day without getting sleepy :argh:

i never thought i'd finally encounter someone who actually liked the stardew fishing game. that minigame is literally why i stopped playing the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Stardew fishing is good.