Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Everyone posted:

Which fits because older Bad Mom Della is also adorable.

The kids are so lucky they spent their most suggestible and vulnerable years with donald.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

ikanreed posted:

The kids are so lucky they spent their most suggestible and vulnerable years with donald.

I don't know. I think if Della had been present she'd have learned parenting as she went. The main reason she's kind of bad at it is she spent her baby parenting time stranded on the Moon. Donald would also have been present. Plus Scrooge would likely have been around to see the kids as fragile, helpless babies, so he might have been a little less cavalier about risking their lives - which might have been its own bad thing later on, but still.

Meanwhile Webby would have had three "brothers" and a "Mom" (along with "Grandma" Beakley) growing up so she might not have been so socially awkward.

Speaking of Beakley, the more we learn of her history, the more questions arise about her present. She wasn't just an agent of SHUSH we now learn but also its director. And she went from being the director of a powerful covert crime-fighting organization to Scrooge's housekeeper. As retirements go, it's hard to believe that there weren't more prestigious (and lower stress) options for her. I hope we eventually get the full story behind that situation. I suspect that we'll learn that it happened around the time Webby was hatched. I also suspect that Mrs. B never told Scrooge about Webby's true significance to her and otherwise took some pains to keep Webby and Scrooge apart. Recall that it was the triplets coming into his life that re-ignited Scrooge's adventure-seeking spirit. Figure if Scrooge had had any significant contact with Webby previous to that, he'd have been back adventuring much sooner and she'd have been his companion/partner along with Launchpad and probably Beakley.

Edited to add something I just thought of:

One theory that's been floating around is that Webby's parents were F.O.W.L. agents, but I'm not sure that fully fits the picture. What if instead Webby is the child of some deadly enemy of Scrooge himself, perhaps someone working for/with F.O.W.L.? Beakley gets egg/baby Webby and knows the villain will probably come back to try and get her. She knows she can't necessarily run a world-wide agency and protect Webby full-time. However, given Scrooge's resources and (justifiable) security paranoia, Scrooge's home would be the safest place, plus as houskeeper she'd be there practically 24-7. Meanwhile, Beakley doesn't tell Scrooge who Webby is for fear that Scrooge would see her as a possible "viper in the making" and ether kick them both out or just treat Webby with hurtful suspicion.

So, to those Don Rosa fans out there, who is missing from this show in terms of some really dangerous enemy of Scrooge who might also have F.O.W.L. connections?

Everyone fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 19, 2020

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Soapy Slick? The warlock from the old DuckTales movie?
I'll be honest, I think we already got all the recurring A-lister and B-lister nemeses. We're missing out Blackheart Beagle but he's long retired (or dead), and he's usually mutually exclusive with Ma Beagle.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Omobono posted:

Soapy Slick? The warlock from the old DuckTales movie?
I'll be honest, I think we already got all the recurring A-lister and B-lister nemeses. We're missing out Blackheart Beagle but he's long retired (or dead), and he's usually mutually exclusive with Ma Beagle.

What about Dracula Duck from the DuckTales/DuckTales Remastered video games that I just found out existed? Maybe he's the reason Scrooge is the last McDuck. Maybe Webby is Dracula Duck's last living/non-undead relative which means she's somehow the so-called "Destined for Evil" McGuffin in whatever centuries long "take over the world" plot he's been spinning in the background.

Or perhaps it's just simply that Dracula Duck has been "killed" before (possibly by Scrooge a couple of times) and that as long as he has a living relative he always comes back. Maybe Scrooge and "22's" final SHUSH mission involved Dracula Duck. They managed to defeat/"destroy" him and all his relatives were apparently gone. Except for one last egg which hatched Webby. And 22 didn't tell Scrooge because she knew him and his history. She knew there were times he could be utterly ruthless. So, she was afraid that he might actually kill Webby to prevent Dracula Duck's return if he learned who she really was.

It would fit the "spotlight one of the kids" format of the previous season and provide plenty of ansty worry for Webby. Hell, it even gives Lena a spot as the person who gets to reassure Webby that she's not evil just like Webby did for her. Plus there would be a link to Scrooge perhaps exploring some of his darker moments. So you'd have Webby possible dark future in parallel to Scrooge's darker past.

Hell, maybe at the end of this season we'll learn that Bradford has been doing his take over the world bullshit all this time in part to try to protect the world from being Dracula Duck's all-you-drink-buffet.

Yeah, I know it's bullshit fanfic speculation, but that doesn't mean it's wrong.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 19, 2020

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I kinda doubt we'll see Scrooge contemplating infanticide in a Disney show, sorry.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The Bee posted:

I kinda doubt we'll see Scrooge contemplating infanticide in a Disney show, sorry.

Well, no, but I could see the idea that Scrooge would constantly treat Webby with suspicion because he believed her to be a threat.

And I could also see Beakley not telling Scrooge the whole story about Webby because she didn't want Webby's life to become strikingly similar to the one of The Girl With All the Gifts

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Everyone posted:

What about Dracula Duck from the DuckTales/DuckTales Remastered video games that I just found out existed? Maybe he's the reason Scrooge is the last McDuck. Maybe Webby is Dracula Duck's last living/non-undead relative which means she's somehow the so-called "Destined for Evil" McGuffin in whatever centuries long "take over the world" plot he's been spinning in the background.

Or perhaps it's just simply that Dracula Duck has been "killed" before (possibly by Scrooge a couple of times) and that as long as he has a living relative he always comes back. Maybe Scrooge and "22's" final SHUSH mission involved Dracula Duck. They managed to defeat/"destroy" him and all his relatives were apparently gone. Except for one last egg which hatched Webby. And 22 didn't tell Scrooge because she knew him and his history. She knew there were times he could be utterly ruthless. So, she was afraid that he might actually kill Webby to prevent Dracula Duck's return if he learned who she really was.

It would fit the "spotlight one of the kids" format of the previous season and provide plenty of ansty worry for Webby. Hell, it even gives Lena a spot as the person who gets to reassure Webby that she's not evil just like Webby did for her. Plus there would be a link to Scrooge perhaps exploring some of his darker moments. So you'd have Webby possible dark future in parallel to Scrooge's darker past.

Hell, maybe at the end of this season we'll learn that Bradford has been doing his take over the world bullshit all this time in part to try to protect the world from being Dracula Duck's all-you-drink-buffet.

Yeah, I know it's bullshit fanfic speculation, but that doesn't mean it's wrong.

I think this is a little too big brained, the show tries pretty hard to keep things light. Like yes there's some dark stuff inbetween the lines Della having to amputate her leg but the show doesn't dwell on it either.

On the other hand if you wanted to continue with it there are places you can post it

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

HIJK posted:

I think this is a little too big brained, the show tries pretty hard to keep things light. Like yes there's some dark stuff inbetween the lines Della having to amputate her leg but the show doesn't dwell on it either.

On the other hand if you wanted to continue with it there are places you can post it

Nah, I'm pretty far gone but I'm not quite "posting DuckTales fanfic" gone.

Is Bradford a character from other versions of DuckTales or is he new to this version of the show?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly I'll never understand the stigma that fanfiction gets on these forums, sure most of it is garbage but there's plenty that are actually quite good

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Everyone posted:

Is Bradford a character from other versions of DuckTales or is he new to this version of the show?

He never appeared in the old show to my knowledge, not sure about the comics though.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I'll never understand the stigma that fanfiction gets on these forums, sure most of it is garbage but there's plenty that are actually quite good

from what i know of goons most of it is doth protesting too much.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I feel like the most likely scenario between Beakley and Webby, given what we know, is that Beakley was close to Webby's parents. They were SHUSH agents too, and Beakley, in her capacity as director, sent them on a dangerous mission.

Both died.

Beakley feels guilty for their deaths, and is protecting their daughter as atonement, along with leaving SHUSH because she can't stay after that, emotionally.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Having been around from the start of the web, I'm pretty sure fanfiction gets poo poo on because the internet began with an outsized portion of shut-in nerds who wanted to not think of themselves as shut-in nerds, so they found people with nerdier hobbies than them, or who were nerdier about the same hobbies, and shat on them so they could establish that somebody — anybody — was lower on the pecking order than themselves.

Something Awful sprung from this, and sadly, 4chan sprung from us when we kicked all the pedos and furries out (as if those two were in any way equivalent to each other), and Nazis pretty much find whatever community will have them 4chan super tolerated them, and... wow, fanfiction really has a bigger place in America's history than I thought before I started this, come to think of it.

But now that it's been thirty years and a lot of current writers openly admit to cutting their teeth on fanfiction in their teens and such, we should probably get over that whole "eew, you're one of those people" thing people still do about it.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Being Scrooges housekeeper is also a way to keep an eye on dozens or possibly hundreds of mystical artifacts.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Everyone posted:

I think he's novel, even in the comics Scrooge has a secretary and that's about as much of a glimpse as we get into how his business empire actually works. There's one comic scene where Scrooge bursts into a room full of underlings doing some kind of accounting stuff, or whatever, but none of those are fleshed out as characters, it's just framed as him being dismayed at something going wrong, and then him trying to fix it personally. According to the wiki, apparently there's a similar nameless "corporate executives" scene in the original Ducktales, too.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

webby is a land of contrasts

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Bradford and the board of directors are loosely based on the FOWL leadership that's only ever seen in shadow in Darkwing Duck, iirc. (and FOWL actually debuted in the original DuckTales iirc, but were recycled for DW)

Much like Mark Beaks, they could be called the show portraying more modern business practices; Scrooge can't run a massive corporation while also going on adventures around the world anymore, he needs to delegate and to give people power to run things while he's away, trapped in a timeless demon dimension, etc. Owlson occupied the same role; even Glomgold recognises that he has the same issues. Remains to be seen if Mark Beaks has an equivalent, being a freshly minted billionaire, but then again one of the skills he does have is organisation and using technology, and he's less interested in active expeditions than the abovementioned two, so he can probably handle things himself for the most part.

Beakly also said herself that despite her protectiveness, she trusts Webby with Scrooge implicitly, and admits similar to Scrooge and Donald that trying to keep the kids out of trouble is almost impossible, so they might as well teach them how to deal with it.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Kurui Reiten posted:

I feel like the most likely scenario between Beakley and Webby, given what we know, is that Beakley was close to Webby's parents. They were SHUSH agents too, and Beakley, in her capacity as director, sent them on a dangerous mission.

Both died.

Beakley feels guilty for their deaths, and is protecting their daughter as atonement, along with leaving SHUSH because she can't stay after that, emotionally.

That fits, but it still doesn't completely explain why she decided to be Scrooge's housekeeper.

And I think there is an explanation. DuckTales isn't something about which you say "Oh, don't worry it. It's just a dumb kids' show."

This show is well and carefully run. So, I can't help but think that in this season or the next we're going to learn why somebody who was the head of the Duck CIA decided to be Scrooge's maid.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

but SHUSH are the good guys??

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Mark beaks seems to be able to run his business entirely while looking at his cell phone. If he didn’t fall into villainy, he might be the richest duck in the world. He’s just selfish and evil but it doesn’t seem to hold him back very much. I imagine if he never met the ducks he would be trying to buy Banana Island.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Beakley is keeping an eye on Scrooge as part of Operation Scrooge's Blanket.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVLrynOkkBA

This is gonna be fun!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Dewey's explanation to only child webby about the different levels of sibling discord is point on.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Emus in real life are even sillier than any cartoon depicts them.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I love Matilda's voice at the end.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Oh god I forgot Scrooge had a pet tuft of fur as a kid. No really, that's at least Don Rosa canon, maybe it's also from Barks.

Can we presume Matilda is stuck in the same immortality curse as Fergus and Downy? She looks way too young compared to Scrooge and he got de-aged by like 50 years over his career in this canon (including only the age reductions that stuck, fountain of youth episode need not apply).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Weird poo poo happens to this family.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Omobono posted:

She looks way too young compared to Scrooge and he got de-aged by like 50 years over his career in this canon (including only the age reductions that stuck, fountain of youth episode need not apply).

This bit -- that Scrooge and Goldie have, separately, cut years off their lives and at least partially immortalized themselves, so we don't have to address this show premiering on the 50th anniversary of Scrooge's (semi-)canonical death -- is one of my favorite running gags. The work it does for their characters that Goldie pursues it as at least a strong secondary, if not co-primary goal, with wealth is particularly nice.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Test Pattern posted:

This bit -- that Scrooge and Goldie have, separately, cut years off their lives and at least partially immortalized themselves, so we don't have to address this show premiering on the 50th anniversary of Scrooge's (semi-)canonical death -- is one of my favorite running gags. The work it does for their characters that Goldie pursues it as at least a strong secondary, if not co-primary goal, with wealth is particularly nice.

Scrooge kind of relishes being a crotchety old bastard. I think Goldie likes the idea of being young and hot while still retaining her experience.

BTW, your avatar just reminded me of Peridot and now I'd love to hear Shelby Rabara voice somebody on DuckTales.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Relentlessly enthusiastic. Introduced in an episode about Webby exploring family conflicts. Could Pepper be a Vanderqack? DuckTales S3E17

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I'm guessing that the first scene of My First Adventure takes place around 1980, give or take two years, because of the Rubik's cube. It was an incredible episode. The villains were great, and I laughed out loud at Donald's and Della's panicked expressions near the cliff

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 23, 2020

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

galenanorth posted:

I'm guessing that the first scene of My First Adventure takes place around 1980, give or take two years, because of the Rubik's cube. It was an incredible episode. The villains were great, and I laughed out loud at Donald's and Della's panicked expressions near the cliff

I dunno. Donald's outfit practically screams (mumbles?) Nirvana to me.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Oh, I meant only the scene before the themesong, because of Bradford not being bald in that scene

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

galenanorth posted:

Oh, I meant only the scene before the themesong, because of Bradford not being bald in that scene

Oh, right.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

maltesh posted:

Relentlessly enthusiastic. Introduced in an episode about Webby exploring family conflicts. Could Pepper be a Vanderqack? DuckTales S3E17

It's a rare show that has me really rooting for villains. The developing dynamic between Pepper and the Phantom Blot was more heartwarming than the good guys' familial reconnection.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

a good episode for Thanksgiving week :cheeky:

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
The drum beat in the scene where the statues start moving is pretty reminiscent of the Terminator 2: Judgement Day Theme's initial drumline.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I love that Scrooge's dad has gotten highly fond of the hairball they got Scrooge for a pet in extremely dad fashion.

Emu farms are a trend that some Americans may remember, and Australians find hilarious. (if it was a viable business, the people living on the continent they're actually from would probably already be doing it)

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 24, 2020

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Emu farms are a trend that some Americans may remember, and Australians find hilarious. (if it was a viable business, the people living on the continent they're actually from would probably already be doing it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9_SY5yeDOE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That was a good one and I hope we see more of Pepper. I forget, was this Matilda’s first animated appearance?