Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Anita Dickinme posted:

I can’t remember but does John finally defeat the Prometheans in 5? I’m really hoping in Infinite we’re just shooting rebels and left over covenant or something less annoying.
The villains in Infinite are The Banished from Halo Wars 2, who as far as I understand are basically a Covenant splinter-faction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Banished are the largest group to split from the Covenant before the Great Schism. Theyre mostly led by Brutes who were sick of being used as expendable shock troops by the High Council and they even managed to convince a few Elites to join them.

They're the new antagonists because Cortana and the Guardians suck rear end and Atriox, while a bit of a Mary Sue, is actually entertaining and his subordinates are fun. I hope Pavium and Voridus show up because they're overconfident fuckups.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
They actually broke off from the Covenant like a decade or so before it imploded. They spent a while just being pirates, then there wasn't a Covenant anymore, then they found the Ark and Halo Wars 2 happened.

e:f,b

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I’d love to fight some aliens with pirate hats. The last time I got to do that was Dawn of War 2 and it ruled.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Okan170 posted:

I've also noticed that 4 is much more aggressive with "Tidying up" the battlefield and despawning any weapons you might not have touched, which only helps the ammo situation. "Is that a light rifle? [gets closer] gently caress its a suppressor."
This change is a direct result of the killstreak system where you get to call in power weapons after getting enough points. They didn't want too many weapons to stack up on the battlefield, so they despawn them so aggressively that you can easily get killed, immediately run back to where you died, and still find nothing because your gun already despawned.

A real brainiac might realize that maybe the killstreak system was a bad idea, but even accounting for that I have no idea why this change also applies to pve.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 20, 2020

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Ablative posted:

They actually broke off from the Covenant like a decade or so before it imploded. They spent a while just being pirates, then there wasn't a Covenant anymore, then they found the Ark and Halo Wars 2 happened.

e:f,b

How did they get to the Ark without going through the Earth portal?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thom12255 posted:

How did they get to the Ark without going through the Earth portal?

They jumped there apparently

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Also there's another portal to the Ark buried on Reach under the mountain range that houses Castle Base.

Contrived, you say? I sure think so!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arcsquad12 posted:

Also there's another portal to the Ark buried on Reach under the mountain range that houses Castle Base.

Contrived, you say? I sure think so!

lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Yeah, Shadows of Reach seems like it was written entirely to explain the gigantic course correction Infinite is taking from the Cortana and Forerunner plotline. So it's continuing 343's trend of making you do homework to understand what the hell is going on.

It actually reminded me a lot of the Star Wars novel Labyrinth of Evil. That book was written to lead into Revenge of the Sith and it spends about a third of its word count describing all the new ships and weapons and technical fluff that would show up in Episode 3. Shadows of Reach does the same for all the Banished guns and vehicles we might see in Infinite.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

At this point just scrap everything and start over and make Infinite an actual reboot and not a “soft” one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean this will be the third time that chief is awoken from cryosleep before crash landing on a forerunner installation to fight against aliens and uncover an ancient terror.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Anita Dickinme posted:

I can’t remember but does John finally defeat the Prometheans in 5? I’m really hoping in Infinite we’re just shooting rebels and left over covenant or something less annoying.

Heck no he doesn't, the game ends with Cortana activating Promethean Gundams. Cortana then deuces out into space with what is the largest army in the known universe, capable of destroying humanity or the covenant at any moment.

Honestly Infinite needs to just completely retcon 5 out of existence if Halo has any hope going forward. Its plot is even more of a nothingburger cliffhanger than Halo 2 was.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

At this point just scrap everything and start over and make Infinite an actual reboot and not a “soft” one.

Yeah this is where I'm at. 4 and 5 were unmitigated disasters and the Halo series is now in a nearly unrecoverable position narratively.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 20, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just give all the species their own Halo to tell Cortana to gently caress off or they spite her God complex plans and commit mass suicide.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Halo was originally an open worldish third person action game where you waged a Guerrilla war against the Covenant on the ring while uncovering ancient mysteries in a persistent world with dynamic weather, flora, and fauna. Truly wild stuff back in 1999.

A total reboot at this point would be more interesting because A) the tech to pull off that original vision now exists and has been done before and B) it gives the game designers near total creative freedom to tell an interesting tale that references the original material.

I have no faith in 343 being the studio to pull that off though...

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Just finished the ghost run. The start of 4, minus the drab colourless backgrounds, has been alright. I don't absolutely hate tge Prometheans... yet. Fighting them amongst Covenant is decent enough. Ghost run was exciting but ghosts are kinda shite physics wise so I died a couple of times because it took a jump and the physics decided I was gonna spiral into oblivion but whatever. Good spectacle.

I guess it's all downhill from here though lol

i already wish the Didact and Librarian werent in game characters. The terminal videos so far are dull... and the Forerunners were better when they were i comprehensibly alien.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

As bad as Halo 5 is, I'm curious if they'll announce a PC port some time soon.

As of right now, every single Halo game outside of 5 and some arcade game are all on PC, so it feels strange to just have that one exception.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They've said they have no plans to bring 5 to PC beyond the Forge mode that is on the Microsoft store which allows some custom games.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Speaking of which any word on that custom games server for MCC yet?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

RBA Starblade posted:

Speaking of which any word on that custom games server for MCC yet?

Doesn't look like we're getting it for a few months.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I hate reading this thread when everyone keeps bringing up all the reasons 4 was bad

I had successfully repressed most of these memories, argh

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Halo 4 feels like an honest attempt that succeeds in some places and falters in a lot more due to a fundamental misunderstanding of gameplay and storytelling. I'd argue that most of the problems come from not understanding Bungie's design ethos and then trying to fix what wasn't broken while doubling down on things that Bungie did poorly. Halo 4 has every problem of the Bungie games and then finds new problems to add onto the mix.

But I don't hate the game. They were really trying. Halo 5 is just a goddamn mess though.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Psion posted:

I hate reading this thread when everyone keeps bringing up all the reasons 4 was bad

I had successfully repressed most of these memories, argh

I'm generally enjoying it so far :shrug: i just dont like the art direction. the next level is a jungle hopefully i get some pretty scenery

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

They've said they have no plans to bring 5 to PC beyond the Forge mode that is on the Microsoft store which allows some custom games.

I thought they just said 5 wasn't coming to the MCC, as it was never intended to be part of it. Did they also rule out porting 5 to the PC at all?

I hope there's a Ruby's Campaign Rebalance for 4, I want to play through all of them one more time with those mods. I assume you can't get achievements if you're not playing with anti cheat on though?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
aight, i got another positive for Halo 4: the sound design of the guns is great! Every gun sounds so loving satisfying to fire!

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Sally posted:

aight, i got another positive for Halo 4: the sound design of the guns is great! Every gun sounds so loving satisfying to fire!

THe BR hurts my ears.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

Some good things about Halo 4:

The music
Visual/environment design of things that are not enemy targets
About half of the combat areas
The railgun

Some things that suck:

The other half of the combat areas
Elites are ugly
DMR supremacy
Cortana, Captain Dickhead, Captain Gamer Dad
Any promethean with heavy weapons

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I liked Lasky. Considering I sat through the garbage that was Forward Unto Dawn that actually surprised me.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Lasky's only likeable because he's not Del Rio.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

I want to backhand Lasky's smug, virtuous face with the top side of a needler every time I see him

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah if nothing else so far, I do like H4’s railgun. Feels good man.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Squeezy Farm posted:

THe BR hurts my ears.

turn down yer speakers old timer

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Ablative posted:

Lasky's only likeable because he's not Del Rio.

I. Am ordering you. ToSURRENDERTHATAAYIIIIE!!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Del Rio said calmly.

It's amazing how he manages to be the worst character in a game with a literal chicken man as the antagonist.

Not that I've come to expect much from UNSC military in Halo and their obsession with putting their COs on Frontline combat operations. But Del Rio is just a special kind of incompetent. Maybe that's why I like Lasky; he's just a friendly dude while Del Rio is a frothing moron.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 21, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there really no ODST or Mark V helmet on Halo 4 customization?

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Tighclops posted:

I. Am ordering you. ToSURRENDERTHATAAYIIIIE!!

I love that acting wise, they have almost hesitation before his interactions later on- like telegraphing to the audience "is he evolving as a character?" except then he goes right back and starts doing his thing. You half expect him to order Laskey to leave the wounded behind just because thats the kind of guy hes written as.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
He's right though. He's a dick about it, but he doesn't make any incorrect decisions with the information he has. He doesn't know that Cortana's just about the only way they can beat the Didact, but he's right that Cortana ultimately needs to be secured and destroyed—the failure to do that leads directly to Halo 5.

This is also the first time (iirc) Chief defies orders from a lawful superior, which is a pretty important moment in his character growth.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The voice acting with the humans is all pretty drat good so far. even minor characters. Doc Tillman's actor is great. that moment as she real-time comes to terms with the fact that the Chief has to blow up her life's work to deny the Didact assets was great!

the game has done a real piss poor job of making me give a drat about the Didact or the Librarian. whatever mystery and intrigue there was in Halo 3's terminals is gone. i just don't care about immortal alien super beings and their cyborg armies. if 343i really needed to use a character from the terminal side plot they wouldve been better off using Mendicant Bias. Evil AIs are already a staple of the Halo universe and at the very least Mendicant Bias was confirmed active and trying to communicate with chief through the terminals.

also as a side thing the Mantis isn't very fun. It's too slow. has no jump or side dash feature. too many FPSes have cooler mech suits. this one feels outdated lol.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Master Chief’s poo poo from lawful good to neutral good is fine and cool and good since they’re so close.

Cortana’s shift from Neutral good all the way to chaotic evil is stupid.

DND alignment charts should be used way more often by lovely writers to determine if they are doing something stupid with a character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Sally posted:

The voice acting with the humans is all pretty drat good so far. even minor characters. Doc Tillman's actor is great. that moment as she real-time comes to terms with the fact that the Chief has to blow up her life's work to deny the Didact assets was great!

the game has done a real piss poor job of making me give a drat about the Didact or the Librarian. whatever mystery and intrigue there was in Halo 3's terminals is gone. i just don't care about immortal alien super beings and their cyborg armies. if 343i really needed to use a character from the terminal side plot they wouldve been better off using Mendicant Bias. Evil AIs are already a staple of the Halo universe and at the very least Mendicant Bias was confirmed active and trying to communicate with chief through the terminals.

also as a side thing the Mantis isn't very fun. It's too slow. has no jump or side dash feature. too many FPSes have cooler mech suits. this one feels outdated lol.

:yeah:

jokes posted:

Master Chief’s poo poo from lawful good to neutral good is fine and cool and good since they’re so close.

Cortana’s shift from Neutral good all the way to chaotic evil is stupid.

DND alignment charts should be used way more often by lovely writers to determine if they are doing something stupid with a character.

:thunk: