Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Uh, that's clearly Joe Biden's personal account. Look at the avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yes? Bail lets you walk free while you await trial, it's not "pay x-ty dollars to become Not Guilty" - not literally, anyway.

I believe any further recounts would be quick, machine-tabulated recounts rather than hand recounts like the one we just went through.

Yeah but I guess the question is... is there a limit to recounts? Can a loser ask/pay for an infinite number until they get a result they like?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Midgetskydiver posted:

Someone in my social circle informed me today that they were called by the Biden administration to be a character witness for Merrick Garland for attorney general.

Sounds awful, so it's probably true.

Seriously tho, AG shouldn't be a consolidation prize for getting screwed by McConnell. There are better choices out there, even if you're gun-shy over picking anyone that isn't a right wing turd.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Ivanka was literally crying about that on Twitter today. That’s not just a rando saying something made up.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Murgos posted:

The GSA stuff is extra dumb because the law intentionally sets the bar super low to, 'who appears to be the winner?'.

Not, "who is the winner?" or "who is obviously the winner?" or "who was certified to be the winner".

It's literally supposed to be that you check the results a day or maybe two after the election and go, "Well that person seems to be ahead, let's get started" If it changes and the other person gets the lead later, so what? Start the process again with the other side.

I expect that Biden will file suit next week after MI and PA certify if the GSA doesn't start moving.

edit: ^^^ I expect Biden has spent a ton of money in the last 17 days on lawyers.

The reason it's worded the way its worded was because it was a reaction to how Bush had a rough transition cause he started so late(cause it took a while to steal Florida).

And yet...

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

ReidRansom posted:

Seriously tho, AG shouldn't be a consolidation prize for getting screwed by McConnell. There are better choices out there, even if you're gun-shy over picking anyone that isn't a right wing turd.

Democrats love losers, it only makes sense that Garland has stuck around as an option for something. I imagine he was still the pick for SC until Ginsburg died of hubris.

Getting humiliated and/or ignored by the Republicans only increases the opportunity for an Epic Clapback down the line.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Another loss to Trump

https://twitter.com/brahmresnik/status/1329938238518149120?s=20

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Zwabu posted:

Yeah but I guess the question is... is there a limit to recounts? Can a loser ask/pay for an infinite number until they get a result they like?

If nothing else, there's certainly no recounts after the results are certified, and recounts take time. Also "eventually getting a result you like" is not statistically a thing unless the count is extremely close. Sorry that doesn't exactly answer the question, just applying a bit of common sense/context.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Bottom Liner posted:

Ivanka was literally crying about that on Twitter today. That’s not just a rando saying something made up.

If everything was legal and by the book with her consulting fees then why is she worried :smug:. If Trump org isn’t committing tax fraud then they have nothing to worry about, they shouldn’t be indicted.

Just ignore their charity scams and trump university.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://twitter.com/mtgreenee/status/1329885028625637383?s=20

I'm glad Georgia went for Biden but they also elected this psycho, remember.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
https://twitter.com/Ike_Saul/status/1329799212091940870

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Medullah posted:

Can we trade like 4 of GA's electors back to Trump to get her exchanged for someone else? I bet Trump would be up for it as long as it makes him less of a loser than Hillary.

edit: Remember how bad Gym Jordan was every time he got to speak in front of a camera during the impeachment hearings? If she is ever on a committee that gets a real crowd her five minutes are going to be terrific.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 21, 2020

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ReidRansom posted:

If Democrats win the Georgia special elections, appointing him to something lets you put a younger judge in the DC Circuit (one of the most important circuits), though I would lean more towards Doug Jones as well. But remember: right now, the transition team's job is to scrub the histories of a lot of potential candidates so Biden has options. Garland is a very safe addition, because you know that he passed that scrubbing already so it's very little extra work.

Jaxyon posted:

No. The answer is always no.

The endpoint is "stop saying things I don't like" and the rest is how they get there

vvv that will never ever happen. At best hope she has to live her life substantially less rich.

Tax fraud is an excellent way to put a trump in jail (it tends to be pretty open and shut), and there's a lot of NY prosecutors that would like to do that.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Please dial down the no content shitposting in this thread slightly, ty.

Magnificent. I'm delighted Trump has filled his legal teams with spectacular morons.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 21, 2020

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1329923764759498754?s=19

Holy gently caress newsom is a complete utter joke

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

from what i understand, nsf is afraid that even having people perform a basic inspection of the damage could be enough to cause catastrophic failure. unfortunately i don't think there's any amount of money you could throw at the problem that would save arecibo at this point, it was something that needed to happen two or three years ago

Yeah, unfortunately it's a total writeoff. A few months ago a cable fell and damaged the dish, then while they were trying to figure out how that happened one of the big structural cables that holds the whole thing together straight up snapped, casting doubt on all the rest of them and making it unsafe to even investigate. It'll have to be demolished (if it doesn't spontaneously do that to itself in the near future) and then we can start entertaining the idea of building a replacement if the money can be found.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

if you click through, it's that tesla falls into an existing category of exemptions not that there's a special "not applicable to tesla" clause (and someone asked because Tesla just ignored the lockdown its local county imposed earlier in the year)

still a mistake, but important to realize that

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

there's a lot of gems in this twitter thread but my favorite is this one:

https://twitter.com/arizonaslaw/status/1329929171275980800?s=20

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Midgetskydiver posted:

Someone in my social circle informed me today that they were called by the Biden administration to be a character witness for Merrick Garland for attorney general.

Not surprising. Unlike, Trump, Biden is going to be vetting multiple people for every significant job.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Clinton raised $5.3 million in transition funds. Bush raised $3 million. Obama raised $4 million. Trump raised $6.5 million. It doesn't sound like this is a big deal unless you're specifically out there looking for things to be outraged by.

I'm looking for a more authoritative source than CNN but it doesn't sound like you can legally use campaign funds for your transition fund:

quote:

But transition funding is a separate pot, and subject to different laws. The transition teams set up separate, tax-exempt organizations known as 501(c)(4)s where the money can be raised. The limit per individual is $5,000, by law, and private donations are disclosed publicly.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

ReidRansom posted:

If you're Garland, why do you take a demotion from current chief judgeship (and lifetime judgeship) on the second highest court in the country to a two-five year term as AG?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

JohnCompany posted:

If you're Garland, why do you take a demotion from current chief judgeship (and lifetime judgeship) on the second highest court in the country to a two-five year term as AG?

It's probably more interesting work.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Medullah posted:

This not having red text makes me incredibly angry.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
So, GA has certified, AZ has no more active challenges, MI has no more active challenges.

Pretty sure this means that Trump no longer has enough active challenges so that even if they were all granted and all those remaining electors went to him he would still lose.

edit:

JohnCompany posted:

I doubt that Garland wouldn't have been quietly asked if he would like to be considered before they started vetting him.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

evilweasel posted:

Tax fraud is an excellent way to put a trump in jail (it tends to be pretty open and shut), and there's a lot of NY prosecutors that would like to do that.

I hope so and I'm aware of that but also there's the entire recorded of history of rich powerful white people not seeing a day in jail no matter how badly they deserve it.

I'll be super happy if that day comes but I sure wouldn't bet money on it.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Maricopa live stream is amazing

eggyolk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUHPaJWiG68

Not sure if anyone is also watching this while it's live, but they're basically telling Chuds and Turmp grifters to eat poo poo over and over.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

evilweasel posted:

It's probably more interesting work.

what's wrong with patent cases

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

sexpig by night posted:

yes, you just do the good thing for everyone and spoiler alert: they'll like getting free money and healthcare. They'll just justify it with their usual bullshit 'well actually I earned it by working hard and paying taxes so this is fine' poo poo.

What's the ALTERNATIVE here? UBI unless you voted Trump?

I'm saying they won't vote for it or anyone who proposes it. Others have pointed it out and explained it a little.

I mean, sure, none of them declined to cash that $1200 check of course but the GOP isn't interested in helping anybody and their base has convinced themselves that government helping anybody is basically anti american and rewards laziness. Hell, half of them would probably prefer we all got sent a free Bible, a gun and a flag or some poo poo.

I had a manager at my last job that was upset that one of our guys we'd recently let go was eligible for the extra $600 UEI even though he'd been fired before the lockdown in our state and for the life of me I couldn't understand why she gave a gently caress. The answer is because she's a Republican and anyone below their tier deserves to suffer, plain and simple. I tried to explain to her that is was a good thing the government was doing and that the idea behind it is precisely to keep people sheltering in place but she looked it me like I had eight eyes.

I'm sure she would have accepted it but that's really the entire point. Since this one dude got clipped a month before the extra benefits kicked in, he shouldn't receive them while he searches for a non existent new job during a pandemic.

They're ghouls with heads made of granite. Look at that loving tweet from that Q lady who thinks Omar married her brother. Where do you GO with this level of discourse and weirdness?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Midgetskydiver posted:

Really hope Doug Jones is still in the running and they're just vetting multiple people at this point.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

And Maricopa is certified!

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1329955652865839104?s=20

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I was just reading through the sharpiegate trial twitter feed.

The Trump lawyer called his witnesses who testified that they filled out their ballots with a sharpie and then the voting machine accepted them...

"So, you put your ballot in the machine"

"Yes"

"And it took it?"

"Yes"

"and your ballot was counted?"

"Apparently"

https://twitter.com/tomryanlaw/status/1329894176335413248

Even better:

https://twitter.com/tomryanlaw/status/1329906702397755392

https://twitter.com/tomryanlaw/status/1329910810789912577

edit:

This. This is the best effort Donald Trump can make to over turn the election. His presidency started with lovely doctored images of fake crowds at his inauguration and it's going out on a pile of laughably incompetent attempts to destroy the foundational principle of the democracy.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 21, 2020

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

eviltastic posted:

The fact that a major function of the public education system really is that it doubles as childcare aside, people who are that weirdly puritanical about hard work are often not hard to lead straight into leftist rhetoric because they haven't actually heard much of it before outside the usual noise machine crap. Skip past the words they've been taught to associate with people wanting to be lazy or get free stuff, and go straight to talking about how people working hard at real jobs should get to keep the value they create, or how child rearing is hard work and the people doing it deserve recognition for it, and you might get them nodding right along.

You probably won't convince them of much and if you're just being trolled they'll see it coming a mile away, but I've gotten some people to consider favoring wealth/income/cap gains taxes over payroll taxes, or raising the cap on payroll taxes to reduce the overall rate. Worst case, you still probably get to enjoy landing a zinger.

But on the other hand have you heard about George Soros rigging elections so Democrats can drink baby blood and make everyone transgender communists? The people that think it's a weird coincidence that it's mostly GOP legislators getting the rona (that's fake anyway) when their the ones flaunting safety precautions? Let's reach out to people that think like this and speak reason to them.

Maybe you really do have to force money and help down their loving throats I don't know.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Murgos posted:

I was just reading through the sharpiegate trial twitter feed.

The Trump lawyer called his witnesses who testified that they filled out their ballots with a sharpie and then the voting machine accepted them...

"So, you put your ballot in the machine"

"Yes"

"And it took it?"

"Yes"

"and your ballot was counted?"

"Apparently"

https://twitter.com/tomryanlaw/status/1329894176335413248

Even better:

https://twitter.com/tomryanlaw/status/1329906702397755392

https://twitter.com/tomryanlaw/status/1329910810789912577

So, he filled it out in sharpie and the machine accepted it?

Was there any claim in the suit other than "I don't like the result?"

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

what's wrong with patent cases

I know this is just a random one off joke, but the DC circuit doesn't handle patent cases, those go to the CAFC regardless of which district the case comes from.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

he thinks maybe it wasn't counted so he wants to vote again

no, he has no reason to believe it wasn't counted, he'd just like to vote again

no, you can't identify and cancel his old ballot because it's a secret ballot, he'd just like to vote again

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

You can read the complaint here: https://www.democracydocket.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/45/2020/11/CV2020-014562.pdf

I'm not going in there, it will probably give you brain worms.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

It's really worth reading that twitter thread, the amount of keystone coppery is truly magnificent.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Midgetskydiver posted:

Is there any precedent for judges assuming state's attorney roles? Still seems like a dumb way to start the admin out of the gate as expected, spending a cabinet spot to remind everybody that you lost a supreme court pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

evilweasel posted:

Half of what is needed, which Senate Republicans promptly told the White House they would torpedo, and the offer (which I don’t believe was ever reduced to legislative text, so all you’re really doing is reciting a White House press release) was panned by Pelosi for, among other issues, giving Mnuchin unfettered discretion over how to use that $250b (i.e. lol at the idea NYC would see a penny): https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/11/...against-it.html and https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/15/us/politics/stimulus-talks-republicans.html

Still better than nothing bud. Alot of ppl gonna go hungry in NYC that coulda used that money.

What are you arguing again