Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Woo. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Yaaaay, my dumb name suggestion won! :D

As a sidenote, i'm pretty sure this means you're obligated to teach them Swords Dance. Both because it's a good move, but also, you know:

:dance: :woop: Dancing. :woop: :dance:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

White Version's Opelucid City theme is absolutely wonderful, A+ pro click right there

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
One vote for my girl John so she doesn't feel left out.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 20: It's Pretty Black or White

Let's back up and show off a version difference! Wow! It barely matters!

Opelucid City Black Keytar

Opelucid City: Time's Dividing Line
From opal, lucid, opacus (opaque sheets of clouds) and perlucidus (sheets of cloud with small spaces).
Soryu City: The city where past and future intertwine.
From 双龍文 sōryūmon, a Chinese pattern resembling two dragons, as well as 蒼竜 sōryū, the Azure Dragon.

Two different versions of Opelucid City, that doesn't affect the story in the slightest, and two different Gym Leaders, that doesn't affect the story in the slightest. Paired versions make Game Freak a lot of money, but I hate that there's never been a reason to choose one game over another due to how they're practically identical. Oh well, let's explore this city. Twice!

Opelucid City White Erhu. Bless You.

You don't need to put it on a diet! Just let it hold this.

The weight of a Pokemon holding a Float Stone will be halved! That way, you can reduce the damage caused by weight-based moves such as Low Kick and Grass Knot.

"you can make it work?"

You may be able to master it. Here it is!

If a Pokemon holds a Ring Target, it can be hit by a move that would usually have no effect. For example, a Normal-type move would hit a Ghost-type Pokemon. Mastering this item is a bit tough... actually, it's very tough, but think how useful it could be!

So close to the postgame. I'm sure the blockage will disappear for no reason.

Well this house is a bit rude. I think this woman tells you how many EVs it has, but since there's no ribbons, there's nothing to it.

I wonder how my child, Thyme, will spend the future. I'm making a machine that connects the future and the present, but electricity is desperately short. I've heard that in another world, there's another Opelucid City that looks very futuristic. If there is a Pokemon from that world that knows the move Charge, the machine may work. If you're able, would you be willing to lend me a Pokemon like that?

That's quite the tall order, what, you think I can just catch a Blitzle from Route 3 that already knows Charge and then copy the Pokemon's data in pkhex so I don't have to trade? Well it was pretty easy, actually.

Now, please show me the future! ... Oh! So that's what the future is like! My precious Thyme is growing up as such a good kid! ... Oh, it returned to normal... but what an experience! I can't stop trembling! And even though I know the future, I guess my present time won't change. I will return your Pokemon to you. This is my thank-you gift.

Rather than worrying about the future, it is important to live in the present, which connects to the future, as best you can. OK, Thyme! Let's go out later! Today, let's play as hard as we can!

A quest so good I did it twice!

We connected with the past! Father! It's me, Thyme! I owe you an apology... Oh, it returned to normal... but what an experience! I can't stop trembling! I connected with the past... but I guess my present time won't change. Rather than regretting the past... it is important to live in the present, which connects from the past, as best as you can. OK! I'll live positively!

Well that's cute, but if Black is a future version of White, then what does that mean for the official timeline? My canon!!!

And here's another version difference! No, not the hidden item, the Battle House, Triples in White, Rotation in Black. And that's about it for the different Opelucid City, what fun.

"Their destructive force is overwhelming!"

monke

Due to the wide range of elementals this is a pretty tricky fight, remember the monkeys have good offenses! Even if the AI only has the one move to spam.

Though Corazon is a definite nuke, so good to place her in the middle.

Which Pokemon should I put in the middle...? I'm still thinking about it.

Yes! Preparation before a battle is very important for Triple Battles! Now, let's start!

In comparison, this fight is easier.

Like a LOT easier.

The fights are the same in Black, though of course in Rotation. For whatever reason, this fight is downstairs and the monke fight is upstairs. Again, all riveting stuff.

When a Pokemon holding the Destiny Knot is affected by the move Attract, the opponent will also fall in love. It's a bit difficult to use, but I hope it will be useful!

There's one house left to visit, so all badges will be ours pretty soon.

Oh, you have a Prop Case! You must be a huge musical fan, too! [musicalnote.5g] Would you like a new Prop to use in the musical? I am so glad! [musicalnote.5g] You are a huge musical fan! [musicalnote.5g] You should try putting various Props on your Pokemon! That would be fun. [musicalnote.5g]

You know what? I'm a huge musical fan! [musicalnote.5g] If you come see me again tomorrow, I'll give you a different Prop! [musicalnote.5g]

Oh yeah, there was a side mode I... forgot. Yeah. You can get the Gift Box, Fluffy Beard, Big Bag and Scarlet Hat from this guy, and we've seen all the, like, three ways of getting props. Guess I'll go over this drat mode soon enough, I recorded it like months ago just to get it over with and it was exactly as boring and shallow as you think it is. I suppose I can do something else while I'm back.

Anyway, let's beat up the heart beard mayor girl or whatever.

Pokemon Gym

First off, please take this Fresh Water. It'll help you in the challenge ahead.

Let me give you a brief explanation of the trick to the Opelucid Gym! The path around this Gym is shaped like two dragons. This path changes when you step on the switches on the dragons' arms. Pay attention to how the dragons' necks move!

"they can carve out their own path!"

It's an executive decision to not bring John to this Gym, it wouldn't work out for her. And we have no Ice moves either!

This might take a while...

As the name suggests, a Gym Leader is the top of a Gym! The Leader is top of the heap at this Opelucid Gym! If you want to meet the Leader, climb up on the dragons' backs and aim for the top floor!

We'll do just that, this place seems a little complex, but it's very linear, you find dead ends almost immediately.

Is it the thing Clyde told us about? Cause I only believe him if his info is corroborated.

Wow! You beat me! Jump from a triangle mark! When you land on a switch on an arm, the dragon's head will move, and you can move ahead!

Well that definitely happened. What way the arms are raised or lowered depends on where the head goes.

You can probably guess what happens when we step on the other switch.

With Dragon Dance, Tristan has no hope of beating these Fraxure. But hey, it's not like they're the most common opponent in this Gym.

Okay, hold up, I know you think I'm crazy, but due to HM glut and single player coverage, Gamera doesn't really have space for this. Later, sure, but lowering our defenses and then still being slower anyway isn't exactly a winning strategy.

The dragons' arms go up and down... and depending on the arms, the dragons' heads turn right and left and move up and down, too. Listen! Here is a hint! If both arms point down, the dragon's head sinks down, too.

Well that didn't happen, but it's good to be absolutely sure, because this gym puzzle is very complicated and I'm being sarcastic but it's difficult to convey through text.

Ever hear the definition of insanity?

Every person loves Pokemon in a different way. Getting strong with my Pokemon... that's the why I chose.

That's not what we want it to do, but we can hop over and come back later.

I need an adult.

Seed Bomb doesn't make contact, but that's not very helpful in this case.

Advancing or retreating is up to you. But if you proceed, prepare yourself! Moving forward halfheartedly is disrespectful to your Pokemon!

The remakes of these games better add handrails to this place, it's a long way down! Now we go right.

I am a Trainer. I don't have to get strong myself. All I have to do is to support Pokemon so that they can fight at their best.

Another dragon not going where we want it, so we'll need to go around and try again.

Tristan's had better days.

I love Pokemon battles! I never know what my opponent will do. It gives me chills! Win or lose, it's the excitement of the fight that counts!

Alright, we're nearly done, we've nearly looped around to near the start.

Getting stronger... is like walking down a road that never ends, no matter how much you fight... it's what this Dragon Gym is about. It's the secret of the dragons' backs...

The path to the leader is clear, let's fight this little kid and get our final badge!

Tell me... what Pokemon are you using? How will you fight? Ooh, I'm super curious, so let's just get started!

Gym Leader Battle

Iris: The Girl Who Knows the Hearts of Dragons/The girl who knows the heart of dragons
From, well, iris, a wildly colourful plant named after the Greek goddess of rainbows, Iris. Also relates to Shaga, Drayden's Japanese name, fringed iris.

As a Dragon Gym, it's never a pushover, but we should be fine. As you can immediately notice, Iris has nothing for Steel types, though we'll only use PRNDL here to show off how easy it'll be, before only using it if only absolutely necessary.

drat you 85 accuracy! And best for her to use healing now, the final mon is the only thing I'm actually worried about. After all, Druddigon has Sheer Force, but nothing to use it on! There's a reason for that.

Milli needs glasses, but oh well, not a big deal.

gently caress gently caress gently caress, while we'll be able to play with this toy soon enough, Haxorus is definitely absolutely terrifying. Going all in on Atk is one way to spec something, especially when you give it Dragon Dance to patch up its slightly lower than comfortable Spd. It can even take a physical hit or three, especially when it only really has Dragon Claw for a bit. It gets Swords Dance shortly after evolving, though the Spd increase from DD is preferable in a meta with base 100s everywhere, and it still does a lot of damage until you finally get Outrage at 66.

This is one of the reasons Fairy was created because Steel types dropped to Earthquake and the premier physical wall Skarmory takes NEARLY HALF from Life Orb Outrage, what the gently caress. Add in Rock Slide, X-Scissor and Shadow Claw and, well, it doesn't really matter since neutral Outrage will probably do similar damage to super effective coverage, but this thing is incredibly scary. And that's exactly why I chose to use one, even if we might not be able to use it before the postgame.

STOP IT

I was expecting it to use Dragon Tail earlier, there's no way in hell we can switch anything into this thing.

But with a bit of luck and some good monke vibes, we can take this monster down. Phew. Be sure to pick up TM73 Thunder Wave, available in Nimbasa's TM shop!

Whoooa! That was so cool! I'm sooo happy I could battle a Trainer as strong as you!

Hey, that's your eighth Badge, right? That's so cool! Now every Pokemon will do what you ask, no matter how big they are! Know what? I'll give you this TM, too!

Dragon Tail doesn't just do damage. It sends the other Pokemon back to its Pokeball, too! Ooh, hey! I wonder how Mister Alder is doing? I wonder if he's battling that Trainer called N in the Pokemon League right now? Do you know about the Pokemon League? It's past Victory Road, at the end of Route 10!

Oh, by the way, since I gave you all that Fresh Water... don't you owe me some of your winnings? ...I'm kidding! It's just a joke! No, seriously, congratulations!

Wow, eight badges, it almost feels like this LP is nearly over. Though of course this is a DS Pokemon game, it's nowhere close to over. But there is still one more Gym Leader to face, beardface you would say, even if it's pronounced fa-ce.

Despite the city looking different between games, the Gym is identical except for the top dog.

As the mayor, I've given everything to developing the city. As a Trainer, I've simply been pursuing greater strength. But what I'm searching for now is a young Trainer who can show me a bright future. Perhaps you can show me that future, the way Iris has?

Drayden: The Spartan Mayor
From dragon and den.
Shaga: Spartan mayor
From 射干 shaga, fringed iris.

Drayden may have a dumb beard but he's slightly more dangerous than Iris. Their teams are very similar, but their genders are flipped, as well as their latter mons abilities. Now you see why Iris's Druddigon had Sheer Force, it's a little deadlier with Rough Skin instead.

I said before that using Lampent is pretty pointless, but I like it so I'll use it for a bit. She's a little tanky with Eviolite!

Don't need to use Thunder Wave since I can use my female Steel type that I luckily had to take this beast down.

"I don't know how to describe it."

A clean 2HKO with EQ, nothing to it.

I'm grateful we had a chance to meet and battle. Well, now. You've obtained all of the Gym Badges in Unova. Now, all Pokemon will obediently follow your commands. I also want you to have this. It's a TM I'm particularly fond of. It's called Dragon Tail.

Dragon Tail is a move that returns the damaged Pokemon to its Pokeball. In other words, it switches your opponent's Pokemon. Now, I have something to ask of you. Head for the Pokemon League and go after Alder. The Pokemon League is past Route 10, which runs from Opelucid City to Victory Road. I know Alder's strength, but I don't know the depth's of N's power...

An easier time in Black, though I don't purposefully stop myself from using super effective moves and the best counters like in the main playthrough. Also since I'm only using 6 Pokemon, Touko's team is stronger, but only slightly, I haven't beaten every trainer like I do in White.

Opelucid City White Erhu

Oh, I came to report on how to ressurect the legendary Zekrom. I thought it better to tell you in person than over the Xtransceiver. And as for the conclusion... well, I haven't figured it out yet. I'm sure the Pokemon will wake up when it deems someone worthy. More importantly, aren't you amazing! You have all eight of Unova's Gym Badges now, right? You've become so strong! You probably don't even know it, but you've changed a lot since you left Nuvema Town. Well then, I'll show you where such a strong Trainer should head next!

at the Badge Check Gates! Once you get through Victory Road, which is past the gates, you're finally at the Pokemon League! Oh, that just made me think of when I was showing you around the Pokemon Center in Accumula Town.

While I'm contractually obligated to do these, at least with my spicy team picks and thread interaction, I always have a lot of fun.

Thanks! That's the greatest answer you could give! I was really happy to be able to give you three those Pokemon as a present! Because Pokemon create chances to meet more wonderful people and Pokemon! Touya, this is a present for you!

This Master Ball is the most powerful kind of Pokeball. It can catch any Pokemon without fail. This is the only way I can support you, except to say... be true to yourself. No matter what happens, stay strong and keep going with your Pokemon! See you!

Maybe a change in C-Gear skin could make Zekrom more willing to come out of hiding, suggested by Verant on the LP Beach. But that's it for this city, next time, it's onwards to the road of victory. For like the seventh time.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 16, 2020

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

That sidequest is so wild. Alternate worlds AND time travel all in one random quest that requires trading with the other version for a coveted item of a *checks notes* cell battery

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
I love the insistence that there's a way to make these terrible, terrible held items useful.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You'd think the Opelucid that focused on the future would have Iris as the Gym Leader while the one that focused on the past would have Drayden.

Also, the Gym is Snake Way, but we don't get the TM for Spirit Bomb and Kaioken at the end. :argh:

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary
Ah, finally caught up again. It's been a fun journey so far, sparking memories of my first time playing Black. I ended up taking my Fraxure into the gym, and it did well enough up until Drayden. You're a braver man than I, not going in with at least one Dragon weakness.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Ohhh the best part is coming, The Badge Gates! I was blown away when I went through them.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Did u know: iris is adorable. The logical conclusion of the "kids go on pokemon adventures when they're 10" - sometimes, those kids catch giant monster dragons and they become slightly terrifying because of it!!

rannum posted:

That sidequest is so wild. Alternate worlds AND time travel all in one random quest that requires trading with the other version for a coveted item of a *checks notes* cell battery
On the other hand, imagine if an actually useful item was gated behind bugging on of your friends to trade with you. horrifying.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

misc Drayden/Iris facts:
-Drayden's beard is meant to resemble a dragon's jaw, while Iris' hair resembles a dragons head
-Drayden was I think fashioned after old timey explorers
-With Iris basically being tarzan, i guess? Drayden saw her potential and took her under his wing for that
-They make a whole little arc of this in the anime, Drayden comes to her village where she's kind of taking everyone by storm, takes her to Opelucid to learn, but she doesnt mesh well with the city and runs away.
-here's little baby iris saying bye to the village

-I believe the same interview that speified the design aspects also mentioned Drayden does, in fact, wrestle dragons for training.

Blaziken386 posted:

Did u know: iris is adorable. The logical conclusion of the "kids go on pokemon adventures when they're 10" - sometimes, those kids catch giant monster dragons and they become slightly terrifying because of it!!
Iris is pretty fun in the anime too, though it's a shame that Axew just never got to evolve despite that being set up as a goal for it to meet in episode like...8.
Excadrill & Dragonite are cool, at least

quote:

On the other hand, imagine if an actually useful item was gated behind bugging on of your friends to trade with you. horrifying.
They probably could have put a choice item there. Cell batteries are 32 BP, choice items are 48 BP. potato, potahto!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Also, the Gym is Snake Way, but we don't get the TM for Spirit Bomb and Kaioken at the end. :argh:
You only get those if you tell Drayden and Talking Movie Druddigon a joke that makes them laugh.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

rannum posted:

misc Drayden/Iris facts:

-I believe the same interview that speified the design aspects also mentioned Drayden does, in fact, wrestle dragons for training.
That is quite impressive, given that his Druddgion has Rough Skin.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

You'd think the Opelucid that focused on the future would have Iris as the Gym Leader while the one that focused on the past would have Drayden.

Drayden being in future Opelucid still makes sense--after all, people only get older as time goes on.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 21: All Fifth Roads Lead to Victory

I just heard this on the Xtransceiver. There's a big storm on Route 7! And the storm seems to be different from a natural phenomenon! So strange!

Route 7 Winter

Lightning, that's different. Hopefully this will be the last time we'll be switching back and forth between games, it's getting a bit disorienting.

Now, now, child, don't you go heading into the tall grass. That Pokemon might be too much for you. We'll catch cold standin' around talkin' in this wind and rain. It's not much, but come stay in my home a spell.

no

Come now, just have a little. It's good for you. Would you listen to an old lady's story for a moment? In the Unova Region, you see, there is a Pokemon called Thundurus that creates thunderstorms. It flies around the region and sets loose wild winds and crashing lightning. Have some soup now, dear. It'll warm you up.

The heavy rain is ruining crops I've worked so hard to raise! What a troublesome Pokemon! I thought I would try to catch it, but it flies around so fast that even when I thought I'd found it, it just flew away. In one day, it can make a lap around the entire Unova region. In the mornings, it's in the south, and in the evenings, it's in the north. It shows up here in the evenings!

Well there's the mon we need. And there it goes.

So this is the only roaming Pokemon in this game after the NINE total from Gen 4, so it's nice to scale this back, roaming Pokemon suck. It's also the last one in the series! Well, kinda, but this is the last standard one and it's not that hard to find, since, well, it can only be found in certain areas depending on the time.

The gates will tell you where a storm is occurring, but since they change position as soon as you leave a gate, it's not that helpful. Still, if it's bordering somewhere you know it'll be, you can go back and forth and once you see the storm, we can find it.

Legendary Encounter

Only roamer in the game, so the best thing to use the Master Ball on, like with the Latis in Gen 3.

"Countless charred remains mar the landscape of places through which Thundurus has passed."

The one and only genie, uh, right? Well Thundurus is definitely a storm since it has amazing dual offenses and fantastic Spd. It honestly won't be using a physical set so its Atk is wasted stat points, since it's unbelievably frail, but it doesn't really have the moveset for it anyway. The immediate move to notice is Nasty Plot, which already makes its attacks hit even harder, and in Ubers, it has plenty of rain to drop Thunders down. Unfortunately it doesn't have Hurricane, so it has, uh, Sky Drop or Fly as its best options, let's just ignore that. It gets an interesting variety to work with, has very strong Volt Switches and can slap on Psychic, Sludge Wave, Focus Blast, Flash Cannon and Grass Knot, as well as Dark Pulse from level up, though of course you want Prankster Thunder Wave in Ubers due to being so goddamn fragile. It has a lot of options and is kinda pinned towards 2 support moves to be the most effective, but can definitely slam down hits like no tomorrow.

I'm at soup, so let's get another genie.

There's Tornadus in Black, Thundurus in White, and they follow the same roaming rules: Factoring in the different times for summer and winter, between midnight and early morning, they roam Routes 12-15; in the morning they're on Routes 2, 3 or 18; during the afternoon it's on Routes 4, 5 or 16; in the evening they're on Routes 6-8, and just before midnight they're on Routes 9-11, never forget.

Same as before, good thing we got the Master Ball just before this, eh?

"Tornadus expels massive energy from its tail, causing severe storms. Its power is great enough to blow houses away."

The one and only genie, uh, hey wait this is the same Pokemon but without a good typing! Despite being very similar to Thundurus, one of them is Uber and the other is topdog in UU because it's outclassed by its Therian form in OU. Its main issue is Rain Dance instead of Nasty Plot, which can still help since it gets STAB Hurricane, but it doesn't do much outside of rain, while also being weak to fully accurate Thunders. It learns very similar moves, but no Electric STAB to throw around just isn't as good. Still got Psychic, Sludge Wave, Focus Blast, U-turn and Grass Knot. With Acrobatics and Crunch, as well as Bulk Up, it can use a physical set to pretty great effect and even gets weird coverage in Smack Down, not that that move is really any good. Crazy how removing a typing and boosting move makes so much difference, since they're very similar otherwise, but that's how the storm, uh, crumbles.

:siren: Route 10 :siren:

Enough distractions by the 55 legendary Pokemon in this game, it's time for Route 10, gently caress yeah!

There is no end to mastering Pokemon battles!

We're approaching the end, so look forward to like twenty new Pokemon. Here's your little rebel all grown up and it'll do some damage with a great STAB combination and can even take a fair few hits with good defenses and Intimidate. Since Scraggy got Crunch and Hi Jump Kick just before evolving, well there's not much else you'll need. There's, uh, Head Smash at 65, or Rock Slide, Dragon Claw and Poison Jab from TMs, but since no Ghosts or Normal can stand your onslaught, it's really not a big deal. With your low Spd, Payback is also a great options, but due to a modestly high Atk, you need to bust out HJK to really deal damage, which has a tendency of backfiring spectacularly, this is a not a Pokemon that likes its health cut in half. Still, for carrying Scraggy round all this time, this is a good reward.

It's hard to have no end, but if you change your perspective, you'll see we can enjoy them forever!

The Foongus are back, but they won't take me by surprise again!

NANI

"They crush berries with their talons. They bravely stand up to any opponent, no matter how strong it is."

Oh god we're at the endgame mons, why are they SO poo poo??? Game Freak either massively overestimated what levels our mons would be by the end of the game, or wanted to factor in the postgame to use your new friends in. The main issue is twofold, firstly these are terrible stats to last until just before you get a drat Dragonite or Tyranitar, and secondly the postgame trainers will kick the everloving poo poo out of you, so you won't be able to train it without endlessly swapping out with a Lucky Egg, miserable. Also compared to other such mons that evolve at these high levels, the evolutions aren't really worth it, but that's for later. Like with Larvesta, I just can't recommend using these birds because they can't be used immediately and can't be used in the postgame, and even struggle after evolving. Could you imagine in future games these mons were available early but had the same level requirements? loving. Imagine.

"Its wings are too tiny to allow it to fly. As the time approaches for it to evolve, it discards the bones it was wearing."

Let's get the other version exclusive while we're here, because imagine if you took what I just said and applied it to a Pokemon with worse attacking stats. If Rufflet is basically unusable, then Vullaby will have a full time switching habit, what the gently caress is this? Their evolutions have their positives, sure, but right now, shove them in the back and don't look back, we've got more important things to do.

Gonna be a lot of Aces in our future.

Oh right, it's a special bug. Accelgor is pretty darn fast, being the 3rd fastest mon in these games, and beats the next obtainable Unova mon by nearly 30 points, it's pretty nuts. This means it's incredibly fragile and has to rely on hit and run tactics to actually survive. It has good enough SpAtk for how much it's invested in Spd, and gets Bug Buzz, Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb and Focus Blast to help with that, but it could really use U-turn to get the heck outta there. It also gets Recover, not that it can actually use it, so if going very, very fast and dying in two hits sounds appealing, this is a good mon to do it with.

My heart is not broken. I will survive further fierce battles with my Pokemon, and I will become stronger.

Been a while since we've seen a mid evo, Eelektrik is the only member of its line to actually learn any drat moves, since Tynamo is straight garbage and Eelektross has a bad case of stone evolution learnset. Thankfully after dealing with Tynamo's bullshit for so long, Eelektrik only needs to be kept around for Crunch and Thunderbolt shortly after evolution, and then can be evolved with little hassle. While the evolution won't learn many natural moves, it still learns most of the same TMs, so there's no issue, heck you can evolve it immediately if you'd prefer to Heart Scale Discharge over waiting slightly for Thunderbolt, it's up to you. You could also wait for 69, nice, to get Zap Cannon, but I don't think that's a good idea, do you?

Ugh, where are all these trainers coming from? You're interrupting the good music.

Perhaps the secret of your strength is your commitment.

In the name of love?! Oh, Cheren!

"Pokemon League, right?"

no

Now is not the time for modesty. Worst-case scenario, you'll be battling Team Plasma's boss, N! I need proof you can handle it!

Rival Battle

O-okay, Bianca, we'll talk to you in a minute.

I think that might be the first recorded instance of Razor Wind ever OHKOing something, drat.

Help, this monkey keeps spamming one good move and I don't have a good counter for it!

Samurott is also pretty scary with its high level and our mostly unevolved team. We'll fix that one day...

But I'll drag John and PRNDL to level 48/49 even if it kills them.

Route 10

Yep, you are something else. And I mean that sincerely. Right. Now, I have to make your Pokemon healthy.

Right now, there's no way I can compete with you, Touya. If there is anything I can do to help in the battle with N, just say so...

Touya... there's not much I can do to help you, but I want you to have these!

Stil, it's kind of funny. Everyone's so different.

Funny? At a time like this...

Come on, Cheren. Could you smile just for once? Taking everything so seriously all the time isn't going to change anything. You know... since we've met our Pokemon and walked the same roads together, a lot has happened... we've all changed a lot! We found out that the we want to do and the things we can do are different for each of us, right? That's what's made our journey so worth it. Somehow, all this just makes me happy.

...you are right that we're all different and we should do the things that we can do. There are as many truths and ideals as there are people and Pokemon. The most important thing is that we help each other out. That's why people and Pokemon are always by each other's side. That's what I've come to think lately... Touya! If anything happens to you or Alder, I will do everything I can to help you. That's why I have to keep training and getting stronger. Just... don't be reckless, OK?

Touya! Me, too! I'll do my best to help if I can! So... um... I wish I could say something, like, totally inspiring, you know? Umm... OK... best foot forward!

Everyone's doing what they can. And we'll get distracted and catch new Pokemon!

While not quite as NANI as Foongus, Amoonguss is a pretty even spread of good stats and nice bulk, with low Spd of course, it is a mushroom. Alas, it has an amazing HA that's completely unavailable to us so we'll have to make do with annoying physical attackers. Giga Drain is a great move for it and it'll need Sludge Bomb from TM so its best move isn't Clear Smog, but with other options like Toxic, Synthesis and Ingrain, you can annoy opponents to no end. It gets some interesting toys much later on, like Rage Powder and Spore, but can also work with Venoshock and Energy Ball from TMs. It has an equal attacking stat, but nothing to really go with it, other than Payback and... Astonish? This thing's annoying already, imagine if it could get 1/3 of its health back by just switching out!

You're not what I'm looking for, this is! Our last team member could've been gotten slightly earlier, but having it higher level in the dark grass is just less effort on my part.

Let's catch this before it murders itself quite happily... Bouffalant is nice because it's a good endgame Unova mon, in that it has 120BP STAB and contributes that way. Head Charge isn't as good a name as AFRO BREAK, but it's pretty drat good for a recoil move, since it's only 1/4 instead of the usual 1/3 for its BP. Like Wild Charge also has 1/4 recoil but is 30BP weaker, it really adds up and it's great! Uh, that's about it though, with Reckless you can dish out some major damage, but you will very likely take some first due to pitiful Spd. It's not too bad, it's kinda defensive, but it can also struggle against some types for a bit. Revenge will be the best answer against Rock or Steel types until we finally get the EQ TM, and Payback will be its best option against Ghost types, not great. Still with Rock Slide, Wild Charge, Megahorn and even Swords Dance later on, it's a dangerous buffalo you shouldn't mess with... if you can't OHKO it with Fighting moves.

"Their fluffy fur absorbs damage, even if they strike foes with a fierce headbutt."

We have our canon Gen 3 game representation with this nickname by Blaziken386, because only real stars wear Pokeball afros. Let's see what our new member is like.

Hey, Careful is pretty good, not gonna knock it, especially because we got Reckless first try, though Sap Sipper has its positives.

It's my hobby to win against Trainers!

It's Miror B.'s first battle and, uh, it's a speedy Fighting type that nearly one shots her, so a little unlucky, but since we're getting her so late, Miror B. will be joining us in the League battles, plenty of time to shine.

Rather than enjoying defeating someone, should I aim higher...? I guess the Pokemon League is the place to find a better class of challengers.

Alright finally, we can use this stone to evolve... uh... evolve... what exactly? Hmm.

I'll test myself by fighting against you to see if I'm ready to climb it!

Ahah! If you're a weaker Fighting type then Head Charge can definitely beat you!

Victory Road! It is really amazing! That's the road to the Pokemon League!

To show the respect I feel for you, I would like to present you with this gift.

It's a Dusk Stone. This item makes certain Pokemon evolve. I used one to evolve a Lampent from the Celestial Tower.

Neat. Why is this still a TM???

I'm looking, I'm looking. Oh, you haven't send them out yet.

Alright don't use Jump Kick, sheesh. Anyway, Jellicent is a pretty nice Pokemon in the same vein as Amoonguss, in that is doesn't usually do massive amounts of damage, but it sure sticks around and annoys a lot. All it really needs is Scald, Hex, Toxic and Recover and you're pretty much set. A Burn patches up its mediocre Def and lets it take hits all day. Of course, it has a wide variety of options to make it pretty unique among Water types, which is saying something considering the oversaturated market. Just at a glance it has Blizzard, Shadow Ball, Psychic, Sludge Wave and Energy Ball. It can even go on the offense in Rain and smack fools with deceptively strong Hydro Pumps or Water Spouts. It has a fair few weaknesses and will definitely take a hit or two, but it can absolutely take those hits and deal something much worse in return, status or otherwise.

And the other gender difference, stark, but there needs to be more to have a point. In any case, no need to mention it looks like the Pringles man, I would never go for such lowbrow humour, you wish you had a moustache like that. I'm showing this off now because, while a trainer does use a male Jellicent, it won't be for a good long while. Take that patriarchy.

I was called an Ace Trainer, but that doesn't sit well with me. 'Cause I just love Pokemon, and I just want to be strong!

We're nearly done with the route, which means we're nearly done with the music. Sniff. No matter, we'll return in a third version and listen to it again, right?

Finally we meet the mon by the music links, even if we could've caught it a while now. Seismitoad has a nice even spread of stats, which helps as its movepool is basically all over the place. It got good moves earlier, but starting with Acid on evolution is not a great start. Still, Scald and Surf are great to slap on, no Waterfall annoyingly, and you'll get Drain Punch at 44, a nice addition. Add Brick Break, Sludge Wave, Bulldoze, Rock Slide, Poison Jab and Grass Knot, and you have to decide what you'll load it with. It detests Grass types, since it doesn't have amazing bulk even with high HP and it won't do as much damage as you'd like sometimes, but for versatility, this is one of the best mons of the bunch, a great pick all throughout the game.

You know, huff, puff, there's a lot of mons in this drat dex. Escavalier is... loving slow dude, but it makes up for it with a monster Atk stat, matching big hitters like Excadrill and Gigalith. It has a super weakness to Fire, but otherwise it's very solid defensively, using it to its advantage by setting up Swords Dance and tearing through the opponent. Since it evolved from a rough hitter like Karrablast, it doesn't have many defensive options aside from, uh, Quick Guard, Toxic... Substitute? If you evolved it at the right time it'll get Iron Head at 37 and then X-Scissor later on, and can add on Aerial Ace and Poison Jab. Not great coverage, but it can take a lot of hits and boost up to ridiculous levels, so it doesn't really matter. Being the second slowest Unova mon, only beaten out by Foongus, isn't a great look, and its lower HP can let it down, but I'll keep mentioning its Atk stat, it's pretty big!

You have abundant kindness as well as strength.

I think we're ready... for our fifth round of victory.

I would be a bit surprised if you didn't have any of these badges, considering it's a little tricky to ignore them these days.

Road to Victory

Pass through Victory Road, which lies beyond here, and head for the Pokemon League! Prove that you, too, can be a legend!

Victory Road

Mmm, now that's some good poo poo, having the build up throughout the badge gates and then hitting that final crescendo as you reach the base of a mountain, I love this Victory Road to pieces. Well, better start climbing.

Alright, four steps and we found a new mon. You can only find Deino in 2 rooms in this place for whatever reason, but surely something hard to find and this late in the game must be good right?

"It tends to bite everything, and it is not a picky eater. Approaching it carelessly is dangerous."

*elongated siiiiiigh* So this is the proper pseudo, since Haxorus and Volcarona just fall short, and boy is it impressive. In like 25 levels. This is Deino's biggest issue, level FIFTY? With those stats??? By this point you could get Gen 3 and 4 psuedo-legendaries, and while it was also kinda miserable getting them to that point, at least you didn't have to deal with Hustle for SO LOOOOOOONG. Here's the bigger kicker, this drat thing doesn't even learn Dragon Claw, it's Dragon Rush the entire way, which makes it as accurate as HYPNOSIS. You can get around this with Dragon Pulse and, uh, Round, but not really with those stats. God this mon makes me sad, because once you grind it up, it's so good! With no game left to use it in! GAH!!!

Thankfully there's one more Pokemon to find and it's not as depressing.

"They attack in groups, covering themselves in steel armor to protect themselves from Heatmor."

Here's something great out of the box, Durant is fast and has some deadly moves that cleans up its mortal enemy with no issue, but that's for later. It learns X-Scissor late for whatever reason, but that's easily fixed by TM, and it starts with Crunch, Iron Head and... Dig. Again, fixable by TM because this thing is freaking insane, Rock Slide, Shadow Claw, Aerial Ace, and the oh so important Hone Claws are very useful to have. You could go with Swarm, but Hone Claws patches up Hustle so you'll be able to use it no problem in MP. Okay it's not great for SP, but some don't have the option! It super duper dies to any Fire attack and can't take hits as well as it'd want to with its lower HP and awful SpDef, but with these kinda stats, it can cleave through a lot. Similar hit and run strats like Accelgor, but it's yet another Very Good Bug in this gen of Very Good Bugs, and there's still a few to go!

No Silver to chase out the trainers, so we've got a lot of tough fights ahead. You better have Moomoo Milk!

The Elite Four are said to be waiting at the Pokemon League. I wonder what kind of people they are.

If we compare body lengths... yeah that's quite the distance.

It's a way to make this place really unique, but now I've got a lot of stones in my shoes and that was a very bumpy and unpleasant experience.

"It breathes through a hole in its tail while it burns with an internal fire. Durant is its prey."

Brutal. Heatmor might be able to take on Durant in lore, but that is not reflected in-game by being a slow, frail mixed attacker. This is reflected in its moveset, being a pretty confused mess that make it hard to beat Durant one on one. Now hey if it hits a Fire Blast, it does do 664.4 - 783% damage, but Durant can just OHKO with a Jolly Life Orb Stone Edge. Sure that's a bit weighted, but Heatmor wasn't gonna find much success with those defenses. It doesn't get Flamethrower for a little while, so Fire Blast is a good option for it, as well as Bug Bite, and then Focus Blast and Shadow Claw from TM. It doesn't learn too many amazing moves, Rock Tomb but no Rock Slide, Aerial Ace but no Acrobatics, though it can use Hone Claws to patch up moves with low accuracy. Still, it can work out fine enough, but unless you really need a Fire type, there's an ant that can serve you much better.

And this is the other room you can find Deino. I guess they like being blind near water? Can they swim? No, they can't.

Two ways to go, ooh this exploration is so exciting!

Uhuh. Why does this bit exist?

Pride does not mean acting arrogantly! I'm really proud of what I have achieved in my life!

Keep at it, champ.

...why is this still a TM???

I'm looking, I'm looking. Oh, you haven't send them out yet.

We cum in peas. Beheeyem is another interesting Pokemon that was built for its HA, since its slow Spd works perfectly with Analytic, but otherwise isn't too great. It can hit pretty darn hard and can take a few special hits in a pinch, but it needs a bit of help since, with the technical exception of Hidden Power, it solely learns Normal and Psychic moves. Getting Psychic and then Calm Mind around evolution is pretty good and we're late enough in the game that it nearly has all the TMs it wants, Thunderbolt and Shadow Ball, with Energy Ball being annoyingly postgame. It can set up its own Trick Room and have 4 turns of fast fun to play with, but its middling Atk isn't that useful, other than Rock Slide, so you'll take a hard hit and hit hard back. Pretty alright.

As a Pokemon grows, its connection to its Trainer will improve, and their bond becomes stronger!

This is the first time we can catch Excadrill from the dust clouds. Also oh gently caress it's an Excadrill.

"It can help in tunnel construction. Its drill has evolved into steel strong enough to bore through iron plates."

Here's a shortcut, got a few of those, though this one isn't all that great.

Ooh, I wonder what Pokemon would want to do that?

Oh. Ohhhhhhh.

Because I respect my opponents, I want to win against them! That's why I want other people to think they want to win against me!

Yeah yeah, monke, who gives a fuuuuuuuuck, we've finally got Big O!

"It flies across the sky at Mach speeds. Removing the seal on its chest makes its internal energy go out of control."

Aww yeah, it's giant rear end robot time. Golurk can learn Fly, which is useful for when I don't want to bring Corazon along and it can pummel foes with hard hitting Shadow Punches. Uh, otherwise it's not too different from Golett, the main move it desperately needs, EQ, will be learned around the same time we get the drat TM for it, bit of a shame. It's just a nice boost of stats when it's very much needed, but it is a little screwed by physical STAB for most of the game. Otherwise, it'll eventually learn Hammer Arm, but there's also Brick Break, Rock Slide, Heavy Slam and Bulldoze. It gets a frustrating amount of special moves it can't use, and it'll take some damage before being able to do much, but this soldier will keep fighting on, no matter what.

That was a worthwhile venture so let's get back on the main path.

Surely Miror B. will be fine fighting this trainer?

Oh poo poo. Big O save me from the scary Fighting types! Conkeldurr can be gotten pretty early if you have friends and it's a real monster with that Atk, and it can be pretty bulky with high HP softening those physical blows. Low Spd and SpDef give it some weaknesses, but a Guts boosted Focus Punch on a switch in usually makes those weaknesses go away. Of course it does just fine with Hammer Arm and Rock Slide, along with Bulk Up if you fancy staying in, but can also work with Bulldoze, Strength and Poison Jab, still no EQ. It really is the epitome of hitting real drat hard and not much else, and that's just fine, definitely try and get this if you fancy using the line, I'm sure your friend would love to give it back! Also notice how most of the moves I mentioned don't care about Sheer Force, the Rock Slide boost is nice though.

When people move ahead, they get lost, or they stop... at those moments, Pokemon give you courage to keep moving forward!

This is nicely timed, I have plenty of healing items, but recovering PP helps a lot too.

That move is against the Hippopotas Oath, I'll sue for this!

Whether your Pokemon are healthy or not, I'll restore them to full health! I aim to be the best Doctor in the world! But first, I intend to become the best Trainer in the world!

Another shortcut done, though having it for the room itself is a little weird.

Right, what's out here? Nothing? Cool.

"finally I figured out the answer!"

Since this place gets smaller as we go up, we're pretty close to the end. But of course, we can easily head back down.

Solid Rock doesn't help with that, ow.

Read what your opponent wants to do. Your opponent is human and may change plans from moment to moment. Be careful!

We've gotta go all the way to the right to reach here, if you don't remember the exact layout then blind drops aren't particularly fun.

It's fun to watch, and even more fun to fight against them!

It's time to rock, Gigalith is a pretty good option if you can trade, it can't get one shot and it has less weaknesses than your usual Rock/Ground type, so that makes it pretty bulky. It doesn't get very interesting for level up moves, with Rock Slide and Sandstorm being your best options, with Stone Edge and Explosion later on. It doesn't get much help with TMs either, with EQ being far away still and Bulldoze and Strength not really cutting it. Still, that's not too bad with that Atk stat and it can use Toxic to wear down its counters, since it'll take quite a bit of damage with that Spd. And that's about it, it's simple but pretty brutal, just get used to going second.

After the move filled bonanza of Eelektrik, now it's back to no moves with Eelektross. With TM help you could've evolved it at 39 with Crunch and now you can use more TM help to give it some actual coverage, cause it learns a lot! It's one of those darn slow, frail mixed attackers, but unlike most of them, it actually gets enough moves to use both sides. For physical, you have Dragon Claw, Crunch, Wild Charge, Brick Break, Acrobatics, Dragon Tail, Rock Slide and U-turn. For special you have Thunderbolt/Discharge, Flamethrower, Volt Switch, Grass Knot and Flash Cannon, so your best bet is physical, but it's nice to have a lot of options. It having NO WEAKNESSES is pretty cool, but pure Electric isn't a great defensive typing, so it's really not that big a deal, and it will take some hits with low Spd. But with an Expert Belt, it's a terrifying mixed attacker up with the best of them, lot of fun to use.

Winning is good, but winning is not everything... don't lose sight of what's important!

Phew, what a climb this has been, but we're basically at the top. This has been somewhat shorter than most other Victory Roads, but that's because it has about 90% less HMs to pad it out.

There's probably more to this place that we haven't explored, but bored now, off to the Pokemon League!

Okay just kidding I'm unlocking the Fly point so we can easily get back to the top.

We'll unlock the last shortcut, not that it's really needed, and find the final third.

Legendary Battle

We've seen steel defenders and grassy specials, but now is the time for rocking attackers. Terrakion is absolutely terrifying, it has amazing Atk and a great Spd tier, coupling with its phenomenal offensive STABs, Rock/Fighting is a crazy good combo, y'all. Then the madlads at Game Freak decided what it needed most was Swords Dance, Stone Edge and Close Combat. What the gently caress. Add in Earthquake or X-Scissor and Poison Jab if you're feeling spicy and then that's it, that's the set. It doesn't get anything else, but it doesn't need anything else. It does have some nasty weaknesses and can be revenged by Scarfers without much issue, but if you let this thing get a Justified boost, you done plain hosed up son.

"This Pokémon came to the defense of Pokémon that had lost their homes in a war among humans."

Oh wow, first ball, guess I got lucky that Gear Grind was just unable to KO it. Thanks PRNDL for being so weak!

There's one last place to slide and we definitely want this TM.

On hey it's that place we were in earlier.

Well, okay, that wasn't really worth it, and while we could hop the ledge...

It's faster to Fly to the top and then head back down. WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Alright, into the tunnel.

Was this worth coming all this way?

Pokemon League

Yes it was. We've reached the top, so next time, it's time for our final challenge, the ultimate endurance test, yes indeed, it's time for *checks notes* Musicals.

gently caress.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

Yeah yeah, monke, who gives a fuuuuuuuuck, we've finally got Big O!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7_Od9CmTu0

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Does Terrakion's sprite look a little of to anyone else? Something about the face area just looks like a clumsy fansprite, especially the reversed version in the Pokedex.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

Could you imagine in future games these mons were available early but had the same level requirements? loving. Imagine.
The funniest part of their awful evolving conditions is the fact that gamefreak realized the requirements were horrible, and so literally the very next game gives you the ability to catch their evolved forms at like... level 25. Surprise surprise, Braviary actually kicks rear end when you can use it throughout the story! Who'da thought. Unfortunately, that's both the first and last time it'll ever be useful, so, :rip:

Speaking of terrible level requirements, the Deino family got screwed. A level 55 pseudo is the kind of thing you might have by the champion fight in most games, but level 64? Even having a decent postgame can't salvage that. Guess it'll be resigned to online forever.
Hm? What's that? The next gen introduces a type that's 4x effective on it? Ah, well, nevertheless.

Crosspeice posted:

Yes it was. We've reached the top, so next time, it's time for our final challenge, the ultimate endurance test, yes indeed, it's time for *checks notes* Musicals.

gently caress.
yaaaay musicals :dance:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I tried to make deino work a half a dozen times. It got fully evolved by the end of the postgame once. And it was the end of the postgame then. Usually it went into the elite four having not evolved at all yet.

It's so bad.

Which sucks, because it's got a really fun design to all of it's line.

E: and oh yeah, it's not just why are roar and taunt still TMs. It's why are they still TMs and deemed so powerful you can't be trusted with their might until the freaking end game.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 21, 2020

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I could get Taunt being a TM, but it should come earlier.

I really, REALLY doubt anyone cares about Roar, though.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I could get Taunt being a TM, but it should come earlier.

I really, REALLY doubt anyone cares about Roar, though.

I care when something I'm trying to catch uses it. I care a lot. I still sweat remembering the time my first legit shiny encounter used it - luckily it was a lower level so it didn't work but I screamed out loud before I saw it fail.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The best thing about Roar is that they gave it to the roaming legendary beasts in FR/LG and if they use it you can never encounter them again.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Have they ever changed the level up point for a pokemon after it was released? Some prime candidates here.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Badger of Basra posted:

Have they ever changed the level up point for a pokemon after it was released? Some prime candidates here.

I don’t think they’ve changed a level up point, but they changed Feebas’s evolution method to a trade evolution for generations where there was no way to track beauty.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I used Braviary in Sun once and it’s probably my favorite flying type ever. They really oughta adjust those evo levels eventually.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I actively plotted my first White playthrough around eventually using Braviary, he really is the coolest.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I used Vullaby in my run of Black, as in I specifically traded an egg over, hatched it and used it all game just to see maybe, just maybe, it would evolve before the end.

Spoiler it didn't evolve until like a quarter through the post-game. The eviolite was stapeled to it. At least with its defenses, bolstered by the eviolite, and Nasty Plot it was able to like....contribute to things.

Also Route 10's one of the best in the series by far and also! it got a remix in smash bros by yoko shimomura
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t0KpBtz_pk
its very good

Zaroff posted:

I don’t think they’ve changed a level up point, but they changed Feebas’s evolution method to a trade evolution for generations where there was no way to track beauty.

Gen 8 also changed Leafeon, Glaceon, Magnezone & Vikavolt to evolve by the grass, ice & thunder stones respectively. Presumably this is because they didn't have areas to evolve, but considering how easy it'd be to just mark an area for evolution (see also: Runerigrus)...

The happiness/affection system also got reworked into one thing so now Sylveon is just a happiness evolution (with a fairy move required) rather than affection based and all happiness evolutions now evolve at the 160 marker or so.

Also an interesting quirk with Goodra, which only evolves by naturally occurring Rain for some insane reason, got to ALSO evolve in naturally occurring fog. But then they got rid of that in Gen 8 even though fog is now a weather effect for the wild area and, in fact, only appears in fog. ???

rannum fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 22, 2020

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
The switch to evolution stones instead of areas is really nice, imo, especially for Glaceon since they can only seem arsed to throw in ice-based areas super late. There's places where they would fit, sure (at least for Leafeon and Glaceon; I don't think there's an equivalent for Magnezone/Vikavolt, though they're kinda vague anyways...), but...

...Not sure what you mean by "only appears in fog". Goomy and Sliggoo show up in rain and thunderstorms, respectively (or raids which don't care). Fog as a trigger feels really weird, anyways... especially since the related field effect dampens the power of Dragon-type moves. :V

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

LiefKatano posted:

The switch to evolution stones instead of areas is really nice, imo, especially for Glaceon since they can only seem arsed to throw in ice-based areas super late. There's places where they would fit, sure (at least for Leafeon and Glaceon; I don't think there's an equivalent for Magnezone/Vikavolt, though they're kinda vague anyways...), but...

...Not sure what you mean by "only appears in fog". Goomy and Sliggoo show up in rain and thunderstorms, respectively (or raids which don't care). Fog as a trigger feels really weird, anyways... especially since the related field effect dampens the power of Dragon-type moves. :V

Oh you're right. I must have been confusing them with other Pokemon I had been chasing down.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

The best thing about Roar is that they gave it to the roaming legendary beasts in FR/LG and if they use it you can never encounter them again.
As someone who was insane enough to play through Leafgreen three times back in the day, I can confirm that Roar was bullshit, but I don't remember it *permanently* locking you out of the encounter? :confused:

Then again, it's been so long, I might've just used masterballs and dont remember

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Blaziken386 posted:

As someone who was insane enough to play through Leafgreen three times back in the day, I can confirm that Roar was bullshit, but I don't remember it *permanently* locking you out of the encounter? :confused:

Then again, it's been so long, I might've just used masterballs and dont remember

It's a bug, I'm pretty sure it wasn't intentional, but as far as I know that's how it works (I think more or less what happens is that the battle ending with Roar sets the same flags as you knocking out the pokemon). Only Raikou and Entei have Roar though, Suicune doesn't, so you might never know the bug exists if you pick the right starter.

As far as I know pretty much everyone just uses master balls on these things anyway. That and you can always reset the game if it happens, I guess.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 22: Fun Dressup With Some Elite Fights

Musical Hall

Climactic finale? A duel between two heroes? Perish the thought, it's time for a tedious side mode! Now I've moaned about Musicals, but it also wasn't that big a deal, like I barely paid attention while I read the forums and it was over in like 30 minutes. But that's not the point, even Gen 4 contests will still kinda fun even if they were twice the length they should've been.

It's a cake from me, the owner! Of course, this is a Prop, so you should attach it to your Pokemon and not eat it. By the way, even if today isn't your birthday, I won't take it back! Why? Because I'm the owner!

It is totally my birthday, there's a few random props you can get from the owner, you'll get the Crown after winning 5 Musicals, a Winner's Belt after winning 10 Musicals and a Tiara after doing a local coop Musical with a friend. Which you totally did. Let's do one of these drat things.

It's the only way to play!

The main immediate issue with Musicals is how little there is to do, this is all we get, 4 different Musicals to participate in. There's no further unlocks, no extra content, the only way to change this is to get a promotional Musical from the Global Link. Which you can't do anymore. Great. So I hope you like watching the same 4 cutscenes over and over again, this is a real treat, lemme tell ya.

Participants for this musical are: Gilda will participate with Tuilerie! Hudson will participate with Redbelt! Touya will participate with Hamlet! Eugene will participate with Peeks! And the show you'll be performing is Stardom. That is a popular show among men. Well, without further ado... let's play Dress Up!

Dress Up!!!

This was recorded a fair while ago, indeed, before Camellia even evolved, so we'll be using Hamlet to show off something pretty awful. Anyway, here's your Props, attach them to your Pokemon to match the theme of the Musical. Oh, what is the theme you might ask? Well the owner did say, Props are in 4 categories, Cool, Cute, Elegant or Quirky, which are liked by Men, Girls, Women and Boys, respectively. How do you know which Prop correlates to which trait? Well you don't and it also doesn't really matter, so unlike Accessories from previous games, I won't be kitting myself out with the best props, because I don't care to.

Are you ready for some exciting gameplay???

Like Contests there is an audience and you do play to them, but like with Props, it barely matters.

The opponents you face will be set Pokemon with a few different Prop presets thought there's not many of them and they appear in any Musical regardless of theme so I hope you like some easy opponents!

Stardom / Video Performance

One positive for this mode is the tracks are bangers, they definitely cared about this mode even if it's offensively boring. But you see those two buttons on the bottom screen? That's the only interaction this mode has, the rest of it is just watching 4 Pokemon do preset jumps and rotates that you have no control over. These are in essence, music videos where all you can do is LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE!!!

Your arm attached props are ways for you to "steal the spotlight", since the longer you're in the spotlight, the more points you gain and the more the audience likes you. You can either use these props to steal the spotlight when someone else is in the solo spotlight or do it at the end of your solo to extend your time. After you've used both of your props, uh, that's it, no more interaction, so sit down and watch the rest of it!

Some props are twirled, some are thrown, it's usually a bad idea to use your props first since the AI is very trigger happy in using theirs the second you do. So it's best to wait until they've done so, so you can steal their spotlight that they themselves just stole.

And that was that, what fun. So why did I use Hamlet anyway? Well, notice how many props I had on compared to the other Pokemon, even the Petilil we were just against. The most Props you can wear is 8 and they can be attached to the Arms, Body, Ear, Face, Head and Waist. Unfortunately some Pokemon don't have such things and to compensate, they get less Props to put on and thus less points! So you need a Pokemon with 2 arms and a visible ear to attach things to or you're just lowering your points for no reason. Some Props have non-standard placements, such as the Toy Cake, which can be placed on the arm or head, not that it makes any difference, but can be a way for you to diversify what you have starting out.

Here's something you can show to your friends! What a great memory or whatever.

In fact, I've received comments for you from the audience! I am really pleased. I will give them to you in order. Hudson's Dress Up performance was very unique! Watching your Pokemon's sharp moves, I also felt unique! Eugene's Dress Up performance was very elegant! Watching your Pokemon's sharp moves, I also felt elegant! Gilda's Dress Up performance was very elegant! Watching your Pokemon's sharp moves, I also felt elegant! Touya's Dress Up performance was very cool! Watching your Pokemon's sharp moves, I also felt cool! Thank you very much for participating in the musical today! Please join another musical again! Have a great day!

Overall, totally cool! The cute Prop was a great accent. I noticed that your elegant factor was a bit subdued today. OK! I'm not going to lose!

Well that was a bunch of words. The owner goes in order of worst to best so you have a vague idea of if you won, and he has a few different comments depending on how well the audience received us. We only really won because we happened to follow the theme, not that I really noticed. That was comment 4/6 in order of how well we did, and the comment the AI will usually get, since they use the same Props in every Musical no matter what. This means if you try even a little bit you'll get better comments and win more often.

Okay now we'll use Camellia and show off her sparkling glory! Aside from various limbs what Pokemon you use do not matter, there's no stats like in Contests and it's purely Prop reliant, so it does avoid the issue some Pokemon like Magikarp or Unown had in Contests. That's about all the positives I have for this mode, so let's do the other three and we can get the gently caress outta here.

Next up is Forest Stroll, with the Cute theme. There's at least a few different outfits some Pokemon wear, but I've seen that smily mask Throh enough times to last me a lifetime...

Forest Stroll / Performance Video

Patrat stole the spotlight so I stole it right back!

Then we danced around some more and I threw a cake. There's, uh, really not much to say here.

The Pokemon used Props to convey such abundant expression, just as if they were actors!

That was so wonderful... it may have changed my life. I hope you like this Prop...

I'm not exaggerating! Here, please take this small token of my appreciation.

We scored a lot better in that one, we got the second best comment and we built up enough points that we got some Props afterwards. So I've shown all the Props we get otherwise, the Guitar from the Musician in Route 5, the 4 from Opelucid City and the 4 from the owner, but there's still NINETY ONE left unaccounted for. You can get them from here. That's the only reason to score well, so you get more Props after you win. See why this barely matters? There's two reasons to get all one hundred Props and they'll both become apparent one day, but for now, let's try the third Musical. And by that I mean the second to last Musical.

Here's A Sweet Soirée, an Elegant Musical.

A Sweet Soirée / Performance Video

This is what usually happens, the first AI uses a Prop and then the other two start tripping over each other to use theirs, letting you get the spotlight at the end.

YEAH

Some more point scoring so some more Props. Here's another fun fact, you can only get some Props after doing certain Musicals, such as the ones that match up to the theme. Real fun when you're trying to get the last few.

Last up is the Quirky Exciting Nimbasa. Uh, you can totally tell.

Exciting Nimbasa / Performance Video

That's it, I'm throwing my mallet!

Alright let's use my last prop before the song ends, I'm sure nothing will-

Dammit Pansage!!!

And there we go, that's every Musical, we got 9 props from that, meaning we only have EIGHTY TWO left, so get stuck in and obtain every one. I did this once in a regular playthrough, it really was boring and took a few hours, so I wouldn't recommend it. So we're done, right?

Okay there are some more Musicals we can do, but since I'm using Project Pokemon to download the Global Link file they have, the ones that were uploaded nearly 10 years ago aren't always looked after. So out of the FIVE Musicals you could get, only two really worked. So yes, the amount of downloadable Musicals is more than the base game, but like with all Global Link stuff, you can only download one at a time and also most of them were Japan only. The one we're doing now, Carnival Pokemon or ポケモンセンターDEオシャレ♪ Pokémon Center de Style♪ was one of two released in the west, since Korea also got all the Musicals. In Japan, this was available from July to Dec 2011 as a Pokemon Center promotion when you bought certain items, and was a password release in US and Europe, lasting from Oct 2011 to Mar 2012.

These downloadable Musicals have a unique track, have mostly set Pokemon with a unique combination of Props and some have unique backgrounds, though this one is the same as A Sweet Soiree. Also for whatever reason some of them have variable themes, though this one is just Cute.

Carnival Pokemon / Performance Video

Shame most people have never heard these tracks cause they're also heckin bangers. Two early prop use makes my life a lot easier.

And I'm glad I only got one of the other Musicals working cause I have gently caress all to say anymore, god this side mode is so bad.

Only EIGHTY to go.

But this is the last Musical I could get the work and the last one I'll do. This is ポケモンスマッシュ! Pokémon Smash!, available from Jun to Aug 2011 via password and of course based on the TV show with the latest and greatest Pokemon news or whatever.

It features the at the time mascots, Oshawott and Zoroark, and the promotion of the upcoming Victini movies. Plural. Since most western fans only know of this show as "the one that wastes your time for 50 minutes before revealing the photocopy of the reflection of the next game's boxart" this wasn't released outside of Japan and Korea.

Pokemon SMASH! / [Performance video not found, I'm surprised I got this far tbh]

Gallant shield Oshawott, I shall steal your glory with my twirling cane.

Here's some flips, uh, I let my umbrella go or whatever. I hope I never do one of these again.

With only SEVENTY EIGHT to go, let's cover the last three Musicals.

Charming Munna / Performance Video

Yeah. That's right. Charming Munna or メロメロ★ムンナ Meromero★Munna was a Musical that everyone would have access to so long as Global Link was actually around. Which it isn't. Not exactly sure why Team Skull stole the lyrics to this but I can assure you this is a completely legit origin story for the team.

MELOETTAAA!!! / Performance Video

Why do I hear boss music...? MELOETTAAA!!!, which was in English as you see there, was released to commemorate the Pikachu short, Meloetta's Dazzling Recital, which aired before the Keldeo movie. It was available July to Oct 2012 and Musicals that were released after B2W2 could be used in either game. Up to a point. So this one and Munna's were just available long enough.

Carnival Ludicolo / [Performance video not found, unsurprisingly]

The last Musical is a slight cheat here since it's only available in B2W2, only available in Japan AND was only available from Nov 2012 to Jan 2013, to celebrate RS's 10th anniversary. But like hell I'm gonna wait until the sequel to talk about this for 5 seconds.

So here's why you do Musicals and get all ONE HUNDRED Props, you get a trainer card star for it, yaaaaaaay. I totally obtained them legit and didn't use an AR code. So we're up to 2 stars before we even finish the game, very nice.

Let's not go back to the Musical Hall for a good 2 years. To give our 9 team members some time in the spotlight, I'm gonna clear the standard trains for the later submissions.

But you're not here for that, I can show that off later. Right now, we have some important battles ahead of us, so it's time to tackle the four elites that are in this league where there are also Pokemon. Yeah.

Oh, uh, first I need to spend all my money on my crutch to get through this first RPG for babies, because as we go through the generations, the games are only gonna get harder. Mainly because of movepools no longer sucking complete poo poo, and I'm using whatever you guys want me to so I will get my rear end kicked since I'm not gonna grind. You don't need to, I have never grinded in my LPs, though I will use the Rare Candy we've collected throughout this adventure so everything is the same level.

Before we head in, let's see the team voted to do the endgame, because I can't bring everyone! Hamlet is pretty fragile, but does A LOT OF DAMAGE! Managed to get some real nice coverage in the endgame, though the best STAB in Hammer Arm isn't too great due to the Spd drop. Took some growing pains, but Emboar always looks great by the Pokemon League, so very happy to have it.

Glad to see everyone warming up to monke, Tristan's voice gives him alright strength and plays similarly to Hamlet, though I wish there was something to use over Cut. Well what he has is fine enough, Shadow Claw is mainly for coverage, as Seed Bomb and Acrobatics do similar damage. The monkeys aren't amazing, but as you can see, they can go through the whole game with little problem.

Corazon is fast. And that's about it, since her nature is kinda screwing with her. If only she actually learned any good physical moves, but being able to deal damage, even chip, before most opponents is still very useful. Swoobat aren't amazing attackers, so it's unfair to expect much, but those stats do make me kinda sad.

Aww yeah, it's Milli time, Bug types, gently caress yeah. Hits hard and even a little tanky, while I would love to run something over Steamroller cause of its mediocre power, I cannot trust Megahorn with my life. But I'll probably still use Megahorn like a bitch. A good big bug that'll squash anything in his way.

Big O, activate! I've never watched the show, but despite having some weaker moves, being able to dish out big Ghost hits is always nice. Add in some survivability, and a typing that offers help against 6 types, woo, and you've got a big slow warrior that'll usually take a hit and retaliate back.

Last up is our savior, female Miror B. Good selection of moves, weirdly nice SpDef, and only a little bit of recoil, as a treat, makes this buffalo very dangerous. Our team is either very fast or very slow, but we've got a lot of heavy hitters all around. Miror B. is the main one I can count on to take special hits, but I'm sure we'll be fine.

Pokemon League

The way to express it is simple... you just have to beat the Elite Four and the Champion! You can start your challenge by battling any of the Elite Four, and if you defeat them all, you can challenge the Champion! However! I warn you, once you start your challenges, there's no turning back. If you enter, you must keep battling until you defeat them all... or are defeated yourself.

Enough preamble, we'll head right in to the main event. Though this one is a little different to past ones, since you can fight the Elite Four in any order!

"Four great warriors form this Pokemon League. To the southwest is one who does not fear the Ghost type. To the southeast is one who channels the power of the Fighting type. To the northwest is one who has mastered the Dark type. To the northeast is one who knows the mind of the Psychic type. If you can defeat these warriors with your courage and wisdom, you shall be led to the summit, where the strongest Champion awaits."

We'll be going clockwise, the standard way of tackling this Elite Four, though since they can be faced in any order, they now have standard levels so it doesn't really matter what you face.

One spooky ride and one save later, we're ready to take on the first of the Elite Four.

That's part of a novel I'm writing. I was inspired by the challenger who was just here, and somehow I got a little sad... excuse me. You're a challenger, right? I'm the Elite Four's Ghost-type Pokemon user, Shauntal, and I shall be your opponent.

Elite Four Battle

Shauntal
From haunt. Cool.
Shikimi
From 樒 shikimi, Illicium anisatum, a highly toxic plant burned as incense, 死 shi (death), and 鬼 ki (ghost)

Oh no... not my Gluttony! Anyway, Big O outspeeds you. So this Elite 4 is pretty scary due to all these powerful Unovan monsters with high stats and lots of coverage. We should be fine. Mainly because I have Revival Herbs.

With 2 Wild Charges and a bit of healing, ow that Surf hurts, that's another one down.

Robot! Fight! Robot! Fight! Oh, uh, okay, guess I'll win then. It might seem like I'm blowing past these quickly, but like with the Platinum Elite 4, I have to go all out to take these guys down or they'll absolutely destroy me. I mean, I did bring a goddamn Simisage and Swoobat. These battles will be short and sweet and that's fine, I don't need to focus on them anymore than I need to and also we did waste half the update on useless crap so it works out.

I'm glad the rest of the fight was easy, because there's still... this. Chandelure can be gotten relatively early and will completely annihilate anything in its path. While it seems like it has alright defensive stats, its low HP make them pretty useless, and its lower Spd can be a slightly issue. But with 145 SpAtk, it's pretty hard to go wrong tbh. Slap Fire Blast, Shadow Ball and Psychic on this bad boy and you'll fit so many OHKOs on it. Energy Ball is postgame. And that's about it, it's a very scary sweeper that our team is mostly weak to, so let's lower its Spd and hope for the best.

Now Hamlet is faster than it, so while he faints to Psychic, he deals a real good hit.

No matter, if it's healed back up, Shadow Punch will knock it down.

Alright, you've weakened it just enough, so finish it off with Shadow Ball! ...goddammit, why did you have to be Jolly???

I know a lot of words, but right now I can't figure out how to say this. Perhaps, if the feeling I'm having now is put into words, it will be trapped there. So let me say this... my feeling is you're a great Trainer!

So while Chandelure getting healed twice was my worst case scenario, at least 2 Scalds can take it out. One down...

I'm really sorry you had a bad experience because of me! Oh! It's not your fault! This is how battles always are. Even in light of that, I'm still one of the Elite Four!

Every person who works with Pokemon has a Pokemon story to tell. I've found that stories where people and Pokemon help each other out are far more interesting than stories about only people, or only Pokemon!

There's the first light, so let's see if the next trainer is any harder.

First up, a slow ride up a conveyor belt. Definitely has a wow factor, but it could be a little faster.

Challengers coming one right after another. Well, no matter. I am Grimsley of the Elite Four, and I will fulfill my duty to be your opponent.

Grimsley
From grim, grimace and sly.
Giima
From ギーマ gīma (Vaccinium wrightii), a genus of shrubs that grow cranberries, blueberries, etc, 魔 ma (devil; evil influence), and ブギーマン boogeyman.

Well someone got lucky. This wouldn't be an issue if a supereffective boosted Acrobatics could 2HKO this mon, but guess not.

Moxie is a little scary, but again Corazon is very fast, so it's onto the next threat.

Revenge is a more accurate Megahorn when going second, I am not a crook! Krookodile is a potent threat with high Spd and Atk and gets some deadly moves to help with that. Though it's yet another Ground type that doesn't learn EQ until after you get the TM in the postgame, bah, but Bulldoze will have to do. Foul Play shortly after evolving is a great move to spam, and there's some good variety otherwise. Dragon Claw is a last minute clutch, then Rock Slide and Brick Break round you out nicely. It has an annoyingly good special movepool, with Focus Blast, Grass Knot, Sludge Bomb... Incinerate? Well anyway, it's a scary threat that works out pretty well throughout the game and it looks badass on top of that. What's not to love?

Liepard is fragile, so whatever, best to just cheese it like this.

I might be mad, but there's one mon we need to save us. Bisharp is super spooky, with lots of Atk and can be tricky to take down with its Def. Sure it's really weak to Fighting, but if you switch it into something like Icy Wind or Snarl, suddenly you're waaaaaaay scarier. The Cufant in the room, of course, is LEVEL FIFTY TWO, so this is a postgame mon, which it works really well in. Night Slash is just something to spam but there won't be much postgame left when you get Iron Head at 57. There's a fair bit of coverage like Swords Dance, to be even crazier, Stone Edge, X-Scissor, Brick Break and even Aerial Ace. Like Krookodile it can't use special moves, but it has Grass Knot and Focus Blast I guess. Again, it's just something that deals oh so much damage and you should be very afraid, especially if you don't have good moves against it. You should, but maybe you don't.

That's the way of battle. A real warrior doesn't dash off in pursuit of the next victory, nor throw a fit when experiencing a loss. A real warrior ponders the next battle.

on you--none of that matters. Only results matter. And a loss is a loss. See, victory shines like a bright light. And right now, you and your Pokemon are shining brilliantly.

Now, I'm nothing more than the guy who lost... nothing more, nothing less. Sigh... you should take that strength and test it against the rest of the Elite Four.

We're at the halfway point, but both of these fights are definitely tough ones.

Hmf... you appear to possess a combination of strength and kindness. Very well. Make your best effort not to bore me with a yawn-inducing battle. Clear?

Caitlin
Similar to below, as well as Castle. Eh? Ehhhhhh?
Cattleya
From the flower genus Cattleya, orchids from Costa Rica.

Finishing me off with Focus Blast... So a while ago we covered Duosion and it actually as the same SpAtk, but Reuniclus pours a lot of the extra stats into HP and the defenses. So it's still a nuke, but it's a tankier nuke as well! You're gonna need some TMs so Psychic/Psyshock isn't your only friend, it has very similar moves, so work with those. Shadow Ball, Thunder, Focus Blast, Grass Knot, you know the drill. It won't have as much coverage as Gothitelle, but it nukes way better, and you can even spare a slot for Trick Room, you'll definitely live a hit to then get off 4 fast and strong ones. It's a good choice, but drat it's slow without those strats.

Miror B. taking that super effective hit with her AFRO.

Battle of the birds, who wins out? Well, that was expected.

Save me, Miror B.! So Gothitelle is a little weaker, but more specially tanky than Reuniclus, even with less HP. Like its counterpart, it needs TM help so you're not a solo Psychic/Psyshock, with Thunderbolt, Shadow Ball and Grass Knot, with obligitory Energy Ball postgame. It's a little too speedy for Trick Room, but not fast enough for actual sweeping, so uh throw out Charge Beams and hope for the best? It gets some good physical moves, but ew nothing to use them on. Calm Mind works a lot better, especially with how specially tanky it can get. But otherwise they both have pretty set roles that can work well enough. Strong goth for sure, even with its stubby little legs.

Well you gave it a go, Tristan, I'm sure you'll get some exp eventually!

Let's nuke it and move onto the final mon. Could be a little tricky since this thing is t a n k y

We've got some mons weak to Psychic...

But since it's so slow, it falls to two Megahorns. I mean, there's a reason we have this move on two mons, it's so good!

I am very pleased to have battled you.

Don't concern yourself about me. Go on ahead.

In the past, when I battled, the force of my emotions shook me greatly. When my power awoke, I came close to destroying everything around me. That weak person no longer exists... still, sometimes, my determination fails. Always, I aspire to wrap up a victory with elegance and grace. I invite you to be my opponent again in the future, if you wish.

That was a nice catchup with someone we weren't able to battle before, she was pretty tough. But only one fight remains, and boy am I not really ready.

Last slow climb, time to get punched in the face.

In order to master the art of fighting, I'm training under my mentor, Alder. My mentor sees your potential as a Trainer and is taking an interest in you. It is my intention to test you--to take you to the limits of your strength. Kiai!

Marshal
From, well, martial arts. I hope you didn't just realise this.
Renbu
From 蓮霧 renbu (wax apple) and 練武 renbu (practice martial arts). I dunno if that's related.

Yet again Acrobatics just ain't cutting it, but Throh is a tanky mofo, so I don't really blame him.

Still, I was worried about Sawk, so let's try and figure out how to beat this.

Well this could be going better, Sawk kinda runs through my entire team. Uh, because it should be using Grass Knot, right?

Or it could use all of its Stone Edges instead. Neat.

Feel like it went easy on me, but hey, works for me!

Conkeldurr is also very scary, but what if... we just didn't get hit? Crazy idea I know, but that's why Stone Edge can be a bad move. Not that Rock Slide is really any better...

Oh hey, there's a Rock Slide. So for grinding up Mienfoo all this way, wow is the reward worth it. Mienshao was one of the many dangerous Fighting types introduced, no wonder Fairy was made, being incredibly fast and hitting incredibly hard. Regenerator pushed it over the top, since it can U-turn out very easily and heal up the damage it will invariably take, being so fragile. It also means that HJK recoil wasn't a huge issue, letting you fire it off even if the opponent Protects. It needed some coverage against various Ghosts if it didn't just want to U-turn, so had Acrobatics, Stone Edge and Payback, if you wanted a Ghost to wonder why it was going before you, before going oh poo poo. This thing is very scary, but if you were able to survive its hits, you could take it out pretty easily. It also has weirdly good SpAtk for Calm Mind and Aura Sphere, but when your coverage moves are Swift and Grass Knot, it's not the best idea. Just smash their face in and run away, it's the best strategy.

You can do it Tristan! Oh you get outsped and one shot? Darn. Surely someone can survive a hit???

That's why it is difficult to keep winning. However, I think a heart that desires strength and strives to grow stronger is a precious ideal. That is why I respect you--because you have these things.

The statue in the central chamber will take you to the Champion's room. We, the Elite Four of Unova, are sworn to follow the Champion's order to be neutral. So the rest is up to you!

There are four lights, so let's take on the Champion. That's what we do in a normal Pokemon game, right? Depending on the order of the Elite Four, they do have different things to say, mainly if beaten last, so here they are, because I do that I guess.

Whew! Well done! As your battles continue, aim for even greater heights! Representing the Pokemon League in the absence of the Champion has been my duty as Alder's student. However, there is nothing as empty as words not backed up by strength. A word in your ear, strong challenger... the other members of the Elite Four are far more powerful than I am. Do not underestimate them!

Challenger, if you defeat the entire Elite Four of the Pokemon League, you can go on to challenge the Champion. And you have earned that right. Return to the plaza in the center and check the statue.

Astonishing! You have defeated every member of the Pokemon League's Elite Four. But it isn't over yet. There is one more opponent against whom you must prove your strength. The pinnacle of the Pokémon League, the Champion, Alder... or, perhaps, that man called N has defeated him and taken his title. I don't know which one you will face, but check the statue in the central plaza, and continue to the final room.

Somehow, you managed to defeat the entire Elite Four of the Pokemon League. Check the statue in the center of the plaza for the way to the Champion's room.

I'm sure Alder is a tough enough dude to beat Team Plasma, they've been almost mythical figures, Champions, so there's no way he'd lose.

Oh for- you had ONE JOB!!!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Throwing Caitlin on the Unova Elite Four always struck me as kind of random but hey, it's not the most random appearance of a Battle Frontier character anymore.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Musicals might be neat if there were more of them and a little more rhyme and reason... but the new performance sidegame they added in B2W2 is amazing so I guess they learned from it.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

So is Alder just flat out the most ineffectual champion of all time? (I don't really know enough about Gen 6's to fully decide.)

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020
Personally, I'd at least say that Alder actually performs actions worthy of the position, even if he ultimately fails...

That's much more than I can say about Gen 6's champion, though further thoughts on this matter are best left to another time...

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Funky Valentine posted:

Throwing Caitlin on the Unova Elite Four always struck me as kind of random but hey, it's not the most random appearance of a Battle Frontier character anymore.

Honestly, I love the callback. Caitlin is one of my favorite Elite Fours because she's great. I love callbacks, and it coulda been someone more random, like Wally.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Wow, the musicals look like total garbage to play through. I don't think I'd ever actually seen them before. It continues to impress me how simultaneously overcomplicated and uninteresting they manage to make these side modes, it seems like every generation they get worse. (And hell, this is coming from perhaps the one person who actually likes gen 3 contests.)

So of course naturally they make the completion star a matter of grinding for random drops, rather than a more sensible "complete one of each category" like they often did with contests. Completion stars have always incorporated a certain amount of bullshit in these games (why hello there battle facilities) but that's just obnoxious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

No one would do a ribbon master challenge if musicals actually gave ribbons.