Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m disappointed the last episode of Mando didn’t continue to feature Deadwood actors. We’re 2/4 now when I was hoping it would be “a thing” given this is essentially a space western.

If we can’t find a place for Ian McShane in Mandalorian then the writers should be ashamed :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Butterfly Valley posted:

I'm pretty sure I'll be getting an oculus quest 2 and a flight stick next year to go with the PC I'm currently building, entirely for the purpose of disappearing into star wars cockpits forever

I downloaded it at like 3AM on a night my wife had to go to work in the morning. I'm in the middle of living room in my office chair with all the poo poo on my head giggling like and idiot so loud that she hears me over her white noise fan in the bedroom at the opposite side of the house. She stumbles in very pissed off all like "What the Hell are you doing?" and all I could do was laugh like a kid on Christmas morning and say "I'm in a loving TIE fighter!"

I spent a solid half hour just flying around in practice mode just checking out the cockpits. It's such a blast.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Frankenstyle posted:

I downloaded it at like 3AM on a night my wife had to go to work in the morning. I'm in the middle of living room in my office chair with all the poo poo on my head giggling like and idiot so loud that she hears me over her white noise fan in the bedroom at the opposite side of the house. She stumbles in very pissed off all like "What the Hell are you doing?" and all I could do was laugh like a kid on Christmas morning and say "I'm in a loving TIE fighter!"

I spent a solid half hour just flying around in practice mode just checking out the cockpits. It's such a blast.

God dammit I’m buying a Quest now you rear end in a top hat

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Hazo posted:

Man, I asked my wife to get me Squadrons for Christmas but now I kinda want to just get it now. I ruled on X-Wing and the Rogue Squadron series, but I hated the starfighter combat in Battlefront. Is Squadrons significantly better? And can she and I play splitscreen?

There's no splitscreen. It's pretty much just like the X-Wing/TIE Fighter games, cockpit only with power management. Highly recommend you play with a joystick. The campaign is long enough, can easily run you anywhere north of eight quality hours, but the multiplayer is great. VR makes it into an absolute delight.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Hazo posted:

You're welcome!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Frankenstyle posted:

all I could do was laugh like a kid on Christmas morning and say "I'm in a loving TIE fighter!"

10 year old me would be very disappointed in his future self if he knew it was possible to fully immerse yourself in a very accurate representation of dogfighting in a fuckin x wing and I wasn't doing everything possible to achieve that

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Just watched the last episode. Aside from the acting, I thought something was off. The editing maybe? Just a half second too long in between somebody's line and the other person's reaction. That weird swiping back and forth between two different scenes went on too many times. And the music was off during the chase at the end. It was like the music was supposed to be creepy or something, but it didn't match the scene at all.

Thanks for listening.

Edit: oh yeah, the weekly planet guys have a theory that nobody in the star wars universe can read and after this episode I'm inclined to agree. Not a single one of those buttons or knobs had any writing on them. And there were so many panels in that base. Looking at it like that, people were just mashing buttons until something happened.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 22, 2020

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Hazo posted:

I don't know how you all handle that. I have a Quest, and anything not room-scale makes me feel motion sick as gently caress, instantly. Piloting a TIE Fighter in VR sounds like a nightmare.

(Room-scale is awesome, though. I wish omni treadmills were a thing normal people could buy.)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Was this his first time in the director's chair?

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Xealot posted:

I don't know how you all handle that. I have a Quest, and anything not room-scale makes me feel motion sick as gently caress, instantly. Piloting a TIE Fighter in VR sounds like a nightmare.

(Room-scale is awesome, though. I wish omni treadmills were a thing normal people could buy.)

I wonder if that's the main reason VR hasn't become ubiquitous. I have never experienced any degree of motion sickness and it gives me no problems. Anyone I've had over to try it out that gets even a little motion sick, like one guy I know who only has a problem being on boats, gets crazy nauseous using VR.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Was this his first time in the director's chair?

No, he's done quite a bit of TV directing, actually.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Xealot posted:

Your initial sense of wonder overrides your inner ear freaking out for long enough to get used to it.

I kid.

You start in a briefing room, so that's room sized. Then you get the "I'm in a TIE fighter" moment, and that's a tight space so that helps. Then you launch and fly through an Imperial fleet while doing a quick controls tutorial. At that point you're acclimated to the environment and being out in space, with other ships to set boundaries and scale, feels natural.

You can't really look around and check out all the familiar ships that are really right there because of the limited view from a TIE, but craning your neck to peer around the cockpit edge is something you'll find yourself doing.

Then you switch sides, and you drat near break your neck looking around from an X-Wing's cockpit.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Carl Weather's Twitter is exactly what you expect a 70+ year old man's twitter to be like

edit: in a good way, not in a gino carano way

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I’m genuinely surprised he never directed any Arrested Development episodes.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Martytoof posted:

I’m disappointed the last episode of Mando didn’t continue to feature Deadwood actors. We’re 2/4 now when I was hoping it would be “a thing” given this is essentially a space western.

If we can’t find a place for Ian McShane in Mandalorian then the writers should be ashamed :colbert:

Finding a place for Ian McShane in anything isn't a problem (still hoping for a DuckTales appearance). Finding the budget for him might be a little more difficult.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

GoutPatrol posted:

Carl Weather's Twitter is exactly what you expect a 70+ year old man's twitter to be like

edit: in a good way, not in a gino carano way

HE’S 70+?!

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Yeah I get motion sick with any amount VR so I wouldn't be able to partake even if I could afford it.

Kanine posted:

I've been really strongly considering some kind of original character (some kind of bounty hunter/smuggler/scoundrel) for cosplay once cons happen again after covid.

There's an annual May The 4th party in Detroit called Space Dive where they retrofit this bar to look like the canteena and costumes are mandatory. It's encouraged to dress like original scum and villainy/background characters to really fill up the venue for an immersive experience.
I wear a Rodian mask I painted purple and what I think of as off brand Mandalorian armor but everyone just calls me Greedo.

I'm obviously catching up on the last few pages here but couldn't an argument be made that the Jedi council themselves are "Gray" in the spectrum from good to evil? I mean they are obviously flawed so holding them as the shinning example of the light side of the force feels wrong. It really seems like the story is always telling us that the heroes who strike out on their own with good intentions are right and Light and the antagonists who give in to their insecurities and base emotions are Dark and the Jedi masters with their emotionless bureaucracy and huge blindspots seem to sit right in the middle of that.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There are still some Droideka around somewhere right? I want the Mandalorian to fight a Droideka

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The movie Rocky came out in 1976

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hazo posted:

has facebook stopped banning people that buy it yet?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The movie Rocky came out in 1976

He really needs to do a movie with Michael B. Jordan to make up for the fact that he can’t share the screen with him in the Creed films because Apollo Creed is dead.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Erev posted:

The Empire - as evil as the leadership and the vast majority of people working for it were - has almost always been shown to have had better government functionality than the New or Old Republic. This applies to both current and Legends canon - in each case the Republic is shown as being bloated, unable to stop squabbles and even armed conflict between their members. Half the Legends book has Leia trying to defuse the latest internal conflict and failing half the time.

loving Borsk Fey'lya

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I've been appreciating the score and sound design of the show lately. Besides listening to the main theme a bunch, in the latest ep Mando gets shot a bunch and the beskar makes a distinct note each time, consistent with previous times shots pinged off it.

I've also started a rewatch of season one, just watched episode 3 again. Obviously they set up Greef surviving when he showed he had beskar in his breast pocket, but it's made completely explicit by that same ping noise being just about audible under everything else when he's shot. What a great detail.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

nine-gear crow posted:

He really needs to do a movie with Michael B. Jordan to make up for the fact that he can’t share the screen with him in the Creed films because Apollo Creed is dead.

There’s no reason he couldn’t have come back as a ghost like he does in Happy Gilmore.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I'm obviously catching up on the last few pages here but couldn't an argument be made that the Jedi council themselves are "Gray" in the spectrum from good to evil? I mean they are obviously flawed so holding them as the shinning example of the light side of the force feels wrong. It really seems like the story is always telling us that the heroes who strike out on their own with good intentions are right and Light and the antagonists who give in to their insecurities and base emotions are Dark and the Jedi masters with their emotionless bureaucracy and huge blindspots seem to sit right in the middle of that.

A huge part of the prequels story is that the Republic and the Jedi kinda had it coming to them because they had grown so complacent and corrupt. The decision to have the Republic use Star Destroyers and Stormtroopers was specifically there to make it obvious that the Republic and Jedi destroyed themselves. Ole' Uncle Sheev's whole modus operandi is that he gets you to destroy yourself. It's notable that the climax of RotJ is Luke deciding not to kill Vader despite Obi-Wan and Yoda telling him to, and that in doing this he then proclaims himself a true Jedi. Which with the context of the prequels shows he's remembered what being Light Side/Balanced is compared to the Grey/unbalanced prequel Jedi.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Yeah I get motion sick with any amount VR so I wouldn't be able to partake even if I could afford it.

There's an annual May The 4th party in Detroit called Space Dive where they retrofit this bar to look like the canteena and costumes are mandatory. It's encouraged to dress like original scum and villainy/background characters to really fill up the venue for an immersive experience.
I wear a Rodian mask I painted purple and what I think of as off brand Mandalorian armor but everyone just calls me Greedo.

The thing is that on the personal level there isn't a divide between "using the Force for good" and "using the Force for evil." There might be in a metaphysical results sense or a storytelling sense, but not in terms of what a person does. It's more that using the Force gives someone a great insight into and power over events, people, and the world around them in general. There is a divide between Force users who take great pains, even at cost to themselves, to not allow that power to turn them into destructive monsters; and Force users who don't sweat it and do what needs to be done. Not all in the first category have to subscribe to the highly specific rituals and political affiliations of the Jedi Order, but the "gray Jedi" concept described by most advocates is more "Oh, I don't sweat it too much, I can stop any time I want" Force users who haven't become monsters yet, but also work without guardrails against becoming monsters so is it a matter of if or when?

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Yiddle used the Force to steal.

Dark Side points gained.
Item Gained: Sleeve of macarons
Influence Gained: Kreia

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kreia would lose influence. She'd hate someone relying on the Force.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

We have to find out what baby Yoda’s opinions on sand are before we pass judgement.

https://twitter.com/AlexandraErin/status/1200804214898855937

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Best episode of the season I think, but the formula's becoming so obvious and banal it's beginning to piss me off:

I need repairs / Just passing through / I’m looking for this guy

We need your help / Could use your help / Only if you help us

It’s no place for a kid / Can I leave him with you? / You can’t take a kid there!

Here’s the plan / Here’s the backstory / Here’s the deal

Don’t eat that / Don’t touch that / Don’t play with that

We go in this way / We do this thing / We try this

It didn’t work / It’s a trap! / They set us up!

Kaboom / Blammo! / Ker-rash!

We did it! / Hurrah! / Success!

Thanks Mando / Thank you Mando / I’ll get you Mando

I mean there's some cool poo poo happening to attempt to mask the copy & paste job, but what in the procedural gently caress is this? loving Clone Wars feels like it was written by Damon Lindelof in comparison.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s why it’s a good show though. I like random adventures

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Not every show has to be prestige TV

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

MasqueradeOverture posted:

I mean there's some cool poo poo happening to attempt to mask the copy & paste job, but what in the procedural gently caress is this? loving Clone Wars feels like it was written by Damon Lindelof in comparison.

It's a procedural show with occasional episodic story arcs, using elements from some of the standalone episodes.

Badger of Basra posted:

Not every show has to be prestige TV

I think the part that's confusing people is it's got the quality of prestige TV.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

You mean Levi Xellor?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

There are only two stories: 1) a person goes on a journey 2) a stranger comes to town

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's a procedural show with occasional episodic story arcs, using elements from some of the standalone episodes.

Shinichirō Watanabe needs to make his live action directorial & writing debut for Season 3.

If they want to keep this format up, learn from the master.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

There are only two stories: 1) a person goes on a journey 2) a stranger comes to town

And that stranger has a big iron on his hip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

DurosKlav posted:

loving Borsk Fey'lya

Cal Omas is a worse war criminal that Borsk ever was.