Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Impa is like, giga dogshit to go into. I get the feeling she's a good character, but swapping to her and 'PUT SYMBOL SUCK SYMBOL' with no real idea of what that even means is so bizarre. Then it throws you to Zelda who is equally just 'huh?'

Probably just need to play more but a overview screen of mechanics or *anything* would be nice instead of "go! Do it now! Why aren't you doing it! Go go go!"

The HW1 equivalent would be starting you with Link, Zant and Ruto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
That's a bit rude to Impa.

It'd be Link, Agitha and Ruto.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I am ready for tomorrow!!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So played a bit, got through both Urbosa and Daruk's recruitment missions. I like both of their playstyles a lot, Urbosa is all about just spamming out lightning on people and Daruk hits the ground hard enough to create lava veins that he then explodes. It rules.

I also found out Link's Spear moveset is like half directly lifted from Ganondorf's Trident stuff in the original Hyrule Warriors including the move where he rises in the air and then throws the spear and slams down at a destination. Its a really kinetic and fun playstyle which is cool because Link's default Sword and Board feels pretty lackluster compared to how cool everyone else is so far.

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

Does this game have any post story content? I loved the previous Hyrule Warriors adventure mode and all the wacky maps and unlockable content

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm still disappointed that the plot is apparently some time-travel alternate timeline nonsense and not just straight up a game where everyone dies at the end. :(

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So something fun I've found is for Link's one handed weapons if you use a Lizal Boomerang the default heavy attack has him throw it for enormous range. I wonder what other little touches like that other weapons have

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

I got HWDE but didn’t really care for it compared to dynasty warriors (boss battles are a slog, levels take forever, and allies seem to require way too much babysitting leading to lots of backtracking). Is AoC going to be more of that or is it different? I haven’t tried the demo as my SD card is full.

Adventure mode was a good idea though, I hope they kept that.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Do people find Impa difficult? You mark someone, kill them (or at least Heavy attack them) and get a nice buff out of it, she felt pretty natural to me actually. Zelda though, yeah she's a bit funky.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Impa gets a lot more useable when you realize her C4 combo absorbs all the symbols you’ve set at once

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Gaukler posted:

I got HWDE but didn’t really care for it compared to dynasty warriors (boss battles are a slog, levels take forever, and allies seem to require way too much babysitting leading to lots of backtracking). Is AoC going to be more of that or is it different? I haven’t tried the demo as my SD card is full.

Adventure mode was a good idea though, I hope they kept that.

AoC is more of that yes, story missions can last upwards of 30 minutes, there's no adventure mode as such but lots of side quests/missions to do.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Scrap Dragon posted:

Impa gets a lot more useable when you realize her C4 combo absorbs all the symbols you’ve set at once

WHAT

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Scrap Dragon posted:

I can never get usual Warriors lingo into my thick skull. Is that 3 normal attacks and a strong one, or 4?

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Silver Falcon posted:

I can never get usual Warriors lingo into my thick skull. Is that 3 normal attacks and a strong one, or 4?

Three normal attacks. Y-Y-Y-X

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does the new one have giant monster fights in the same style as Hyrule Warriors? I've watched about half an hour of reviews and trailers and none of them mention it. I really liked the first game but those were so terrible they dragged the rest of the game down.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Silver Falcon posted:

4 normal and a strong, you don't have it baseline and have to unlock it but it's the one that sucks everyone into a shekiah eye and drops a giant dagger on them

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

Does the new one have giant monster fights in the same style as Hyrule Warriors? I've watched about half an hour of reviews and trailers and none of them mention it. I really liked the first game but those were so terrible they dragged the rest of the game down.

There are still giant monsters, but the way bosses (and enemy captains, for that matter) work has been totally overhauled, much for the better.

Honestly, this is the least jank I've ever felt in a Musou.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

My experience so far is that item weaknesses help take down bosses faster but aren't required to do damage, so that cuts down on a lot of problems the first game had.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
daruk smash real hard :)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I absolutely gently caress poo poo up with Mipha. Am I imagining things or does her waterfall move force a weakpoint to appear on enemies?

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Leal posted:

I absolutely gently caress poo poo up with Mipha. Am I imagining things or does her waterfall move force a weakpoint to appear on enemies?

I think a lot of the enemies have a weak point if you're airborne and it's just easy to get Mipha up there with the waterfall.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

There are still giant monsters, but the way bosses (and enemy captains, for that matter) work has been totally overhauled, much for the better.

Honestly, this is the least jank I've ever felt in a Musou.

Srice posted:

My experience so far is that item weaknesses help take down bosses faster but aren't required to do damage, so that cuts down on a lot of problems the first game had.

Sounds like a big improvement, thanks.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
The controls for handling the items are way better also in that you get bullet time when you hit L or R and then you just hit one of the face buttons to activate the rod or rune you want rather than having to clumsily hit the d-pad or touch screen

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
How's CO op, goons

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The first giant monster you fight is a Fire Talus (I can’t remember if that’s the right name) and the fight is very similar to how you fought it in BOTW but with the HW battle style. It works surprisingly well. They even kept the awesome Talus fight music.

Edit: Revali seems absurdly strong, which kinda fits with characterization.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 22, 2020

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Glad to see that you can fight the great fairies. A decent revenge for them being the worst weapon in the original Hyrule Warriors.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
God, Revali is such an rear end in a top hat, it's kinda great.

It's also neat to see which animations they repurposed from the original Hyrule Warriors. Mipha gets Ruto's flying/swimming and interestingly a lot of Volga's incidental spear movement. Our new OG baddie seems to have a lot of Cia's DNA in his moveset, Link's spear has a bunch from Ganondorf's Trident etc.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So far my main gripe with the gameplay is that it feels like everything is trying to stunlock you or just break your flow.

Hit by an enemy with a gauge? Down you go for a few seconds unable to move.
Running down a passage to the next area, up pops [enemy race] with their move that's designed to knock you to the ground for a few second.

It just feels so disruptive compared to the flow the first game had (even if you had to wait for opportunities with bosses).

Also the camera and boss fights can get a bit janky, especially that rock boss with the weak point on its back that you can't lock onto. There have been numerous fights where I've either cornered an enemy or been pushed up against a wall myself which has just been an exercise in frustration. The boss fight right after getting the Master Sword was another example of this.

I also hope that there's another mode or something that opens up after the main game. This world map and mission unlock method feels very... linear... so far. HW1's Adventure mode was kinda like mini story modes and you had to work your way through each of them to get to the end as well as replay missions within certain criteria to unlock other things. That all feels like it's missing in HW2, so I'm struggling to see the longer term replayability so far save for farming an item or exp.

Kin fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 22, 2020

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Urbosas lightning combos are good for wiping out swarms but seem useless for larger enemies/bosses

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Impermanent posted:

How's CO op, goons

Split screen takes a graphics hit and drops a lot of frames.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah for anyone concerned about what the lack of Adventure mode means for side content, it looks like i'm about 38% done for it after 56 battle missions and 113 other missions (the trade mats for power stuff), so there's a bit of stuff to do there.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Crawfish posted:

Yeah for anyone concerned about what the lack of Adventure mode means for side content, it looks like i'm about 38% done for it after 56 battle missions and 113 other missions (the trade mats for power stuff), so there's a bit of stuff to do there.
Prob gonna be DLC at some point that adds something interesting, too.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Edit: Revali seems absurdly strong, which kinda fits with characterization.

Yeah, Revali is a beast both fighting as him and fighting against him. Really helps sell his character considering all he was in BOTW was some smug rear end in a top hat who died without much to show for it

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Zore posted:

God, Revali is such an rear end in a top hat, it's kinda great.

It's also neat to see which animations they repurposed from the original Hyrule Warriors. Mipha gets Ruto's flying/swimming and interestingly a lot of Volga's incidental spear movement. Our new OG baddie seems to have a lot of Cia's DNA in his moveset, Link's spear has a bunch from Ganondorf's Trident etc.

I love Revali so much. :allears:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Playing as Revali and flying around spamming Y makes me feel like I’m playing Drakengard again when you could summon the dragon and just lay waste to fools from above.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm not crazy about the Divine Beast segments but I'll take about a million of those over ever fighting the loving Imprisoned in Hyrule Warriors ever again.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

YggiDee posted:

I'm not crazy about the Divine Beast segments but I'll take about a million of those over ever fighting the loving Imprisoned in Hyrule Warriors ever again.

Yeah, I was kind of hoping it was some really big multi-bar special you could use on any level instead of aiming at stuff and moving along a set path. I like that Revali's has two viewpoints though.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Divine Beast segments would be totally worth it if the enemies had drops like they do in normal battles, but alas.

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014
Does anyone think they'll put a action mode like dynasty warriors 9? The low Frame rate is quite a letdown from the previous one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Without spoiling any of them, does anyone know the exact number of playable characters? Just curious. It seems like it’ll end up being a small roster but I’m still early.