Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So what I'm getting from you guys is that I should definitely install Superfrog HD and try to beat it. :getin:

Turbinosamente posted:

I still find Rare's rise and fall as a hot poo poo developer kinda... funny? I guess? 12 year old me wouldn't believe that people would ever stop playing the pinnacle of shooters Goldeneye, or collectively realize collectathons suck in the future. Or that Perfect Dark got a meh sequel. Nowadays the only Rareware game I'd probably return to would be Starfox Adventures because of raw nostalgia.

I think collectathons can be fun, but it's a fine balancing act between "There's so much to do!" and "Ugh... how many of these things do I have to get?" Mario Odyssey is probably the platonic ideal of the collectathon where there's shittons of things to collect but there isn't a lot of it that feels tedious, and almost none of it is required. At some point I am definitely doing another 100% run of the game because it was fun to do the whole way through. The 90's and early 2000's versions of collectathons were 50% padding and you could feel it.

Turbinosamente posted:

Here's a semi non sequitur for you: where does Spongebob: Battle for Bikini Bottom rank on everyone's list of collectathon platformers? That got popular enough in retrospect to get a modern rerelease. I enjoyed the first five minutes once so it hasn't had a chance to wear thin with me yet.

I'm kind of surprised it's gotten momentum in recent years, but I'm not going to begrudge 2000's kids from having nostalgia for a mid-range game. That's what this thread is all about, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Casey Finnigan posted:

I rented Battle for Bikini Bottom as a kid and thought it was boring and uninteresting. I don't remember knowing anyone who thought it was good or special back in the day.

I blame Metaljesusrocks for it's revival. I just took a gander at the VGPC for PS2 CiB and it goes up and up and up, maxing out at $30, until it craters around early 2019. Presumably that's when the rerelease came out. poo poo, should have sold my copy back then, oh well.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

takes hot enough to make coffee

The best collectathon is Spyro anyway

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Star Man posted:

Games like Zelda and Metroid are the genesis of the modern collectathon games.

fite me nerds

I feel the difference is that most of the items you collect serve a purpose outside of unlocking area x after you collect y of z

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kim Justice posted:

They should have re-released Qwak instead.
There was a high-res port by the original programmer back in 2010. The iOS ports have long since been discontinued, but you can get the PC and Mac versions from his site for :10bux: or so. He's been making noises on the socials about digging it back up for the Switch, as well...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
ok good, people are only dunking on dkc1 for its gameplay

the soundtrack whips

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Banjo Kazooie is the best collectathon, Banjo Tooie is the worst, everything else is either fine or mediocre

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Pretty good posted:

Banjo Kazooie is the best collectathon

:yeah:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Open-world games in the Ubisoft mold are the modern collectathon game.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i refuse to believe people itt didnt know about the mine cart skip. everyone in my school knew about it, and half of them had mega drives :colbert:

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Vikar Jerome posted:

i refuse to believe people itt didnt know about the mine cart skip. everyone in my school knew about it, and half of them had mega drives :colbert:

The mine cart levels were how you separated the casuals from the pros at my school. :dukedoge:

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Vikar Jerome posted:

Just looked it up, had no idea about that!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Phone posted:

ok good, people are only dunking on dkc1 for its gameplay

the soundtrack whips

graphics too really. its a pretty ugly game, i like the character designs i suppose but i was never impressed by the prerendered stuff. i also never got why people liked killer instinct so much

i guess the soundtrack is alright but i kind of hate how when you go on youtube to listen to videogame music, it will always try to play "aquatic ambience" which im not even a big fan of

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Random Stranger posted:

So what I'm getting from you guys is that I should definitely install Superfrog HD and try to beat it. :getin:

Yes, absolutely.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
prerendered has a unique look to it. whether it's good or bad it stands out. not all that many games ran with it, so it still has a draw of "oh, that's different". blazing star, killer instinct, dkc and a handful of knockoffs. it's not like cell shading where every game made for half a decade had the same look

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

has anyone tried to hook up a raspberry pi with retropie to a crt using scart? i think i might do this for consoles that are too expensive/bothersome to physically buy and for mame, is it possible to get a good signal with relatively little lag?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I loved DKC when I was a kid. Probably my favorite game from that era. I did a lot of Donkey Kong related crafts and other weird kid stuff.
Now I'm just really into the original Donkey Kong.

And yes, DK 94 is fantastic. My favorite Game Boy game by far.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DKC1 bona fides proven and as one final complaint, the bosses in the game are the most boring, low-effort, generic things possible.

Now for Superfrog.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Random Stranger posted:

DKC1 bona fides proven and as one final complaint, the bosses in the game are the most boring, low-effort, generic things possible.

Now for Superfrog.

yeah everyone has that complaint, plus the last world "unremarkable cavern." its why dkc2 and 3 own so much more.

did you get 101% tho

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

did you get 101% tho

Not that much into self-harm today. I bopped out at around 65%.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Random Stranger posted:

Not that much into self-harm today.

Random Stranger posted:

Now for Superfrog.

:thunk:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Not that much into self-harm today. I bopped out at around 65%.

eh its not that hard. i got it in 4 hours on the snes classic

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

graphics too really. its a pretty ugly game, i like the character designs i suppose but i was never impressed by the prerendered stuff. i also never got why people liked killer instinct so much

i guess the soundtrack is alright but i kind of hate how when you go on youtube to listen to videogame music, it will always try to play "aquatic ambience" which im not even a big fan of

I was just playing Killer Instinct today (arcade version on an actual arcade CRT). It holds up very very well. Those CGI games look absolutely dreadful in hi def but if you play it the way it was meant to be, it looks great.

Speaking of which, am I the only one that thinks Killer Instinct 2 looks worse than Killer Instinct 1? I can't put my finger on it but the graphics look way more blocky and pixelated to me. Is it just me? What did they do differently for that game? Not to mention no cutscenes before matches and no announcer for any combos other than ultras! Wtf

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
playing some brain lord because it's in the same directory as donkey kong country but has a much cooler name

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I ran into something odd today. I had a Super Mario World that wasn't saving so I popped it open for a battery replacement. Turns out the battery was fine electrically, what had happened is the negative terminal had come loose. Since I had to pull it all off anyway, I went ahead and replaced it. Also, not fond of directly soldering onto lithium cells.

The Voice of Labor posted:

playing some brain lord because it's in the same directory as donkey kong country but has a much cooler name

Not sure that's an improvement.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

You should also try Tearaway Thomas if you fancy another lovely Europlatformer to insult yourself with. Maybe follow it with Magic Pockets too, for a double bill of poo poo. Then Fatman: The Caped Consumer and CJ's Elephant Antics.

I say all this but I love most of the Dizzy games even if some people despise them and I totally understand why they would. And with that said, I put Fantastic Dizzy forward as the ultimate collectathon.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm already tired and I need to order new glasses, I don't need to have to squint at this nonsense to try and figure out what the gently caress's happening here

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I never got the DKC hype either. It dominated nintendo power for what seemed like so long that I just got sick of hearing about it. The graphics never looked good to me either. Guess I was a weird kid, and now a weird adult.

It's hilarious to me that there are people online that still think DKC is actual realtime 3D running in engine on the SNES.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Shibawanko posted:

has anyone tried to hook up a raspberry pi with retropie to a crt using scart? i think i might do this for consoles that are too expensive/bothersome to physically buy and for mame, is it possible to get a good signal with relatively little lag?

This is what I have running and it is awesome
I got one of these:

http://pi2jamma.info/pi2scart

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Light Gun Man posted:

I never got the DKC hype either. It dominated nintendo power for what seemed like so long that I just got sick of hearing about it. The graphics never looked good to me either. Guess I was a weird kid, and now a weird adult.

It's hilarious to me that there are people online that still think DKC is actual realtime 3D running in engine on the SNES.

The amount of people that think Donkey Kong Country has a Super FX chip is, well, a lot of people. Even random friends of mine in real life.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Light Gun Man posted:

So, that's fine and all that you don't like it, and I do sympathize with the feeling of constantly hearing about games you're not into (I was very much not a fighting game kid, and yet it seemed like the entire conversation was dominated by Mortal Kombat & Street Fighter for most of the mid-90's, for example).

With that said, every time I see the game discussed online, people seem to bring up that the graphics are pre-rendered. Which... yeah, I know? I don't really see why that matters. It's an interesting thing to know, but just in terms of evaluating the game, what matters is the end result, not how they got there. Like, if something looks good, I don't care what shortcuts the developers took to make it look good. And if it looks like rear end, it doesn't really matter whether it's pre-rendered rear end or generated-on-the-fly rear end.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

Exact same energy as desperately trying to get other ten-year-olds 20 years ago to understand the difference between FMV and in-engine graphics in arguments about PS1 vs N64 visuals

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I was just playing Killer Instinct today (arcade version on an actual arcade CRT). It holds up very very well. Those CGI games look absolutely dreadful in hi def but if you play it the way it was meant to be, it looks great.

Speaking of which, am I the only one that thinks Killer Instinct 2 looks worse than Killer Instinct 1? I can't put my finger on it but the graphics look way more blocky and pixelated to me. Is it just me? What did they do differently for that game? Not to mention no cutscenes before matches and no announcer for any combos other than ultras! Wtf

I have always thought that 2 was a downgrade in everyway over 1. The models were more detailed in 2 but lost most of their charm. The first just oozed mood and cool where the second lost almost all of that.

For its faults KI 1 is still a blast to play even today. The second was fairly forgettable shortly after release and has aged much worse. They tried to fix a lot that wasn’t broken which was a mistake of the Mortal Kombat team as well at that time along with a lot of other developers.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Djarum posted:

For its faults KI 1 is still a blast to play even today. The second was fairly forgettable shortly after release and has aged much worse. They tried to fix a lot that wasn’t broken which was a mistake of the Mortal Kombat team as well at that time along with a lot of other developers.
Agreed.

And they finally righted the Mortal Kombat ship. Just ignore everything between UMK3/MKT and Mortal Kombat.... 9? Jesus...

Actually, I know a few sick fucks that liked Shaolin Monks and Deadly Alliance. But I think we can all agree that if you enjoyed Mythologies: Sub Zero your brain is broken in some kind of hard to diagnose way.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Laslow posted:

Agreed.

And they finally righted the Mortal Kombat ship. Just ignore everything between UMK3/MKT and Mortal Kombat.... 9? Jesus...

Actually, I know a few sick fucks that liked Shaolin Monks and Deadly Alliance. But I think we can all agree that if you enjoyed Mythologies: Sub Zero your brain is broken in some kind of hard to diagnose way.

Mythologies: Sub Zero is a pretty cool and interesting game. But, yes, it is bad, and yes my brain is broken.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Can't tell if Deadly Alliance actually owned or I was just twelve years old when it came out

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Whoops I still have a copy of Mortal Kombat 4 on N64 just because of how odd it is to have one on the system. Also lol at the early 3D for the series. It's okay for a lark, definetly wouldn't call it good.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not trying to poo poo on prerendered or get all console war about it not being 3D, I just do think it's funny that people...I dunno, "fall for it" and believe it? Like maybe there was a commercial claiming it to be the first 3D game or some poo poo back then? Just seems silly to me I guess :shrug:

If you enjoy the game, go for it, I love lots of stuff other people call trash lmao

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
A couple of the PS2/Xbox gen MKs tried to do some cool stuff with single player at least, and Shaolin Monks was very good.

And then there's the likes of MKvsDC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Laslow posted:

Agreed.

I'd almost venture the wheels started to come off with MK3. 1 and 2 had a perfect vibe and whatnot and then they went off in the weird techno future which I think tainted the series for decades. I agree they finally got it bacon the rails but man it took a long, long time.