Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Very amused as all discussion goes silent and everyone waits on us to get to the fireworks factory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
You have no idea how much I am looking forward to the reactions you two will have at the end of the game.

You know, whenever you get to it. :unsmigghh:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

END ME SCOOB posted:

Very amused as all discussion goes silent and everyone waits on us to get to the fireworks factory.

Very amused that you think you'll see the fireworks factory coming.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Veryslightlymad posted:

You have no idea how much I am looking forward to the reactions you two will have at the end of the game.

You know, whenever you get to it. :unsmigghh:

Same.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Very amused that you think you'll see the fireworks factory coming.

I've thrown down my speculation and I'm also going to review some of the thread to remind me of details before next recording session.

After playing more Xenosaga because I have a deadline.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

- Yes, the game is padded out. The series was intended to be 2 games, and it became 4 with still a little left over. The padding out becomes far more obvious in CS 2.
Do you have a source for that? If that really was the case then the decision to go from 2 games to 4 must have been very early. I can't imagine the series of events we got in the CS games condensed to one duology without some violent whiplash. In particular CS2's events deserved a full game, even if the ending went on for 20 hours too long. Maybe they just had one big plot arc rather than two connected ones.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

- F7-3. Ch. 7 Garten Wrap-Up
90. Dragon Slayers

It's a fight for our lives against the inexplicable terrors of the deep, and also one bee.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Regarding Fie's comment about one of her former comrades from Zephyr being scouted by a trading company, she's not referring to the Capua's from Sky, who were actually fallen Erebonian nobles who went bankrupt after being swindled by a corrupt merchant. She's referring to a character who's introduced in the Crossbell games and that's also when Fie's former Jaeger Corps is first brought up, canonically.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Friendship Stella Garten:

- You definitely skipped Sara's Chapter 2 or Chapter 4 event, because there was a scene in Heimdallr which you can only get if you've got a high enough link level with Sara (have seen all her possible events at this point), but you didn't see that one.
- Sara was holding and drinking beer in Celdic.
- Elliot continues to be boring as hell.
- "At least there's no one to interrupt us today" - Rean is noticeably smoother in the romance department when it's with Alisa.
- Doing the events piecemeal over time is a lot less tiring than marathoning them all at once.

Part 90:
- Nope, that wall comes down from the other side.
- If you'd given the Gladiator Belt to Alisa, she could have had enough CP by now to replenish that of Rean, Laura, and Elliot at the same time.
- Oh right. I think at this point I also did somethign similar with my Sepith - selling off almost all of it for Mira. That's how I could afford all the weapons.
- Never mind why Thors has a weapon upgrade for Millium - why does ANYWHERE ELSE have one. The answer is "just don't think about it".
- CS 1's ultimate weapons do give ATS bonuses for the casters. Unfortunately, CS 2's don't - just a straight damage boost, which unfortunately means there is no point in upgrading the caster's to their ultimates.
- Those red "dragons" which are palette swaps of the Chapter 5 Old Schoolhouse Boss are even more obnoxious on higher difficulties. On Nightmare, I had to abuse Megalith and use 200-CP S-Crafts from Laura to burst them down, because they will tank hits and wreck you otherwise.
- Gale actually gets buffed in CS 2 to allow you to place the radius (Set). However, the Force quartz gets nerfed.
- The switch for those barriers is farther on the straight path.
- Next time will be the boss, and then some cutscenes.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

After seeing the goofy gameplay from our heroes I will reiterate my call for Normal difficulty in CS2. It's perfectly valid and kinda funny, but on Hard or Nightmare it will absolutely run into a brick wall somewhere. And speaking of which, remember how much you're missing here? That's even more likely in CS2 and you will want 100+% hit on every who cares about physical attacks.

- CS 1's ultimate weapons do give ATS bonuses for the casters. Unfortunately, CS 2's don't - just a straight damage boost, which unfortunately means there is no point in upgrading the caster's to their ultimates.
This is incorrect and in fact CS2 does the reverse. Most store-bought rods do not give ATS bonuses, which is why upgrading with U-Materials is worthwhile to grant a moderate bonus for a chapter. The highest tier of store-bought rods does give an ATS bonus, and in addition upgrading to their Zemurian Ore versions gives an even better ATS bonus. Everyone's weapon does something like this, but rods are the most obvious about it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

NGDBSS posted:

After seeing the goofy gameplay from our heroes I will reiterate my call for Normal difficulty in CS2. It's perfectly valid and kinda funny, but on Hard or Nightmare it will absolutely run into a brick wall somewhere. And speaking of which, remember how much you're missing here? That's even more likely in CS2 and you will want 100+% hit on every who cares about physical attacks.
This is incorrect and in fact CS2 does the reverse. Most store-bought rods do not give ATS bonuses, which is why upgrading with U-Materials is worthwhile to grant a moderate bonus for a chapter. The highest tier of store-bought rods does give an ATS bonus, and in addition upgrading to their Zemurian Ore versions gives an even better ATS bonus. Everyone's weapon does something like this, but rods are the most obvious about it.

Well it's been a while since I looked. Let me check again... The staves do give an ATS bonus, but Alisa's ultimate bow does not in CS 2 - unlike CS 1's ultimate. It doesn't get a SPD bonus either, only to critical chance. I recall finding that annoying because I build Alisa as a caster/support and that weapon is a straight-up physical attack which she is bad at. (Her crafts are better in CS 2, but she's still not ideal.)

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Well it's been a while since I looked. Let me check again... The staves do give an ATS bonus, but Alisa's ultimate bow does not in CS 2 - unlike CS 1's ultimate. It doesn't get a SPD bonus either, only to critical chance. I recall finding that annoying because I build Alisa as a caster/support and that weapon is a straight-up physical attack which she is bad at. (Her crafts are better in CS 2, but she's still not ideal.)

Now, CS3 has a quartz that significantly boosts crit damage. I stuffed both this and Minotauros on Alisa, and accessories to get her to about 85% crit odds. This was very successful.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Those stone giants are the most annoying enemies in the game.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

CottonWolf posted:

Those stone giants are the most annoying enemies in the game.

Unless you're on Nightmare, in which case the "red dragons" later on beat them out.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Regarding that weird Chrono Burst at ~1h05m... I believe I can explain this.

So while I'm not entirely sure on the exact algorithm the game uses to determine turn order (there's a few different ones that could all result in how the game works, and I haven't actually disassembled the combat logic) they all must fundamentally work somewhat like this:

- Every actor on the field has a 'current delay' value and sits in a queue sorted by their current delay, ascending.
- After an action is done executing, the actor at the top of the queue (who must have the lowest delay of all actors, since the queue is sorted) is selected and their current delay is subtracted from all actors' delay values.
- It's now the turn of the selected actor.
- Each action has a delay value. When an action is taken, the actor's delay is set to this value, and they are re-inserted into the queue at the appropriate position so that it remains sorted.

Additionally, each actor must have some kind of 'delay multiplier' for their next action. (Again, there's actually multiple ways to implement this, but there's definitely some way to affect the delay given by the next action.) We know this because the tutorial prompt for switching characters points out that switching in a character causes them to have a 'slighlty longer delay than usual before their next turn'.

With this information, we can make a pretty good guess how Chrono Burst works, namely:

- The action itself causes a delay of 0 on the character who casts it.
- Additionally, it sets the delay multiplier to 0 for their next action.

Now, let's ignore the multiplier for a second and go back to just the turn order algorithm. There is a case that is potentially undefined here: What happens when two actors have the exact same current delay, who gets to act first? I'm not sure what this game actually does in this situation, but let's assume that it picks the actor that has been waiting in the action queue for the longest (or rather, who was inserted into the queue first). That would match what we're seeing in this Chrono Burst example.

This means what happened is:
- You triggered a Single Advantage encounter, which means all party actors enter with a current delay of 0 so they can act before the enemies do.
- Before Elliot (current delay = 0) gets to act, Jusis casts Chrono Burst, reinserting himself into the action queue with a delay of 0.
- But since Elliot is already in the queue and already has a delay of 0, he gets to act first when the game selects the lowest-delay character in the queue.
- After Elliot's action, Jusis is at the front of the queue, and since his last action set the delay multiplier to 0, he still gets to correctly do two actions in a row.

Again, unsure if this is actually what happens, but it's a pretty reasonable explanation.

(Note: Some of this is extrapolated from this guide on GameFAQs.)

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
If it goes through the turn order and inserts your new turn when the next turn would have a higher delay value, that'd make sense.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
HOW IS THERE SO loving MUCH

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Hahaha, yeah I was waiting for that kinda reaction. Strap in!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

END ME SCOOB posted:

The designers REALLY love the fakeout final dungeon

Until the last game, when the final dungeon ticks off pretty much every box on the list

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

END ME SCOOB posted:

very excited to see how Premiere deals with this weekend

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
You didn't really try to finish the game off in one session, did you? You did, didn't you. Oh boy.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
One session would be insane given the above amount of time.

There were two, we took a meal break.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Technically three on as many days: the teahouse, the "we're probably finishing this tonight" session, and the "probably just another hour left, two max" session.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

END ME SCOOB posted:

Cyouni posted:

I'm interested in seeing how much marathon you'll survive.

Now you know!

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
:laffo:

Ahahahaha.

I warned you about Trails, bro. I told you dog!

>Nine hours down the rabbit hole later<

I told you man. I told you about Trails.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Hahaha. Yes!

We were waiting for this. I swear Cold Steel 1 ends about 8 times.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The designers REALLY love the fakeout final dungeon

It fairness, there are no more dungeons, it's just everything else there's more of.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 23, 2020

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

- F7-4. Ch. 7 Teahouse Wrap-Up

The F stands for Foreshadowing.

5 videos left! Still wrangling it all into shape, stay tuned!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- The Relationship fortunes are not necessarily romantic - and certainly not for the guys, but they are tailored to the person you are with.
- The answer is yes, there are some decidedly romantic ones. Or, at least one.
- I love homemade iced tea. I make it with sugar and lemon juice.
- With unlimited bonding points, and seeing everyone's bonding events, that's still not enough to unlock Towa for the bonfire event. So yeah, they don't spend much time together.
- (As Alisa) "We're just going to keep on doing this for three more games, aren't we, Rean?". Pretty much, because Rean can choose anyone for his closest bond, so Falcom writes all the relationships as somewhat ambiguous until the point where Rean makes his choice. Once Rean commits, the writing attempts to make up for lost time. Especially if Alisa is chosen - their relationship is a definite step or three ahead of anyone else (at least until CS 4). However, I imagine that Falcom is going to leave it ambiguous who Rean picked (if anyone), if Rean appears in future games but isn't a protagonist.
- What, you were expecting Emma to say something? Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. That's a good one!
- I also only don't really get Alisa's thoughts on Rean's sister. I guess it's supposed to be Alisa's natural empathy.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I'm glad you did the teahouse too. Vivi's the best minor character by quite some margin.

I'd not seen the Sara relationship fortune before. Wow.

- With unlimited bonding points, and seeing everyone's bonding events, that's still not enough to unlock Towa for the bonfire event. So yeah, they don't spend much time together.

Isn't all that's required for Towa's bonfire event that you did the pre-Crossbell meeting event (i.e. the one where she falls off the stepladder)?

- (As Alisa) "We're just going to keep on doing this for three more games, aren't we, Rean?". Pretty much, because Rean can choose anyone for his closest bond, so Falcom writes all the relationships as somewhat ambiguous until the point where Rean makes his choice. Once Rean commits, the writing attempts to make up for lost time. Especially if Alisa is chosen - their relationship is a definite step or three ahead of anyone else (at least until CS 4). However, I imagine that Falcom is going to leave it ambiguous who Rean picked (if anyone), if Rean appears in future games but isn't a protagonist.

They might also just let it be a choice at the start of the game. Though, what they did with Lloyd certainly implies that you're right, yeah. But as I've said before, they should really just make the Rean/Alisa pairing canon, even if I'm not a huge fan of it. It would mean that they can actually develop the other potential romantic partners characters going forward, rather than having them all perpetually stuck on Rean.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Nov 27, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

a Rean/Laura romance is just the two of them gazing into each other's eyes and saying "I Like Swords" back & forth, until the end of time

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 27, 2020

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
If Rean wasn't such a goody goody, he could make an offer to Angelica for money and status. As his liege lord, it'd help solidify the demesne, and he could very likely keep his Harem, so long as he was willing to share whoever with his lady wife. It's likely the offer that would make her the least miserable, both for Rean being a girl magnet, and someone she's legitimately friends with.

........I may have been playing Crusader Kings.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

But then what happens when Whitcomb tries to assassinate them?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Elise is the maximum Crusader Kings choice.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

CottonWolf posted:

Elise is the maximum Crusader Kings choice.

She's the Meme Crusader Kings choice. Angelica is the single heir to a higher rank. Laura is at least Hale, Emma is at least quick. But the real CK choice is marrying Alfin, who is at least both Quick and Beautiful, and there's probably enough support for assassinating Cedric. You could be consort to the empress Rean.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

CottonWolf posted:

Isn't all that's required for Towa's bonfire event that you did the pre-Crossbell meeting event (i.e. the one where she falls off the stepladder)?

No, because I did all her bonding events. It seems like you also need a high enough link level as well, and it's not possible to get it that high with Towa and Sara through bonding events alone. On a first playthrough, you'll need to also spend two tickets on them at the festival.

quote:

They might also just let it be a choice at the start of the game.

Of course that's possible, but it would likely mean writing in appropriate reactions and little scenes throughout the game for every character. Much like the ones which appear in the epilogue chapter of CS 2.

quote:

Though, what they did with Lloyd certainly implies that you're right, yeah. But as I've said before, they should really just make the Rean/Alisa pairing canon, even if I'm not a huge fan of it. It would mean that they can actually develop the other potential romantic partners characters going forward, rather than having them all perpetually stuck on Rean.

Yeah, the way they handled this is an attempt to please everyone, but the developers aren't even trying to hide that one clearly has the most effort put into it. Even that is hampered by a lack of time on the romantic arc, because Rean is required to remain neutral for the majority of the game.

The scene in Celdic made me open to the idea of a Rean/Laura pairing, but other than bonding events, that was the only mandatory one-on-one scene between them. Emma doesn't even get a one-on-one scene as interesting as that.

Veryslightlymad posted:

If Rean wasn't such a goody goody, he could make an offer to Angelica for money and status. As his liege lord, it'd help solidify the demesne, and he could very likely keep his Harem, so long as he was willing to share whoever with his lady wife.

Err... Do the thoughts of Rean's "whoever" with regard to being shared with Angelica come into play at any point? Henry Crabgrass says always ask for consent.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 27, 2020

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Err... Do the thoughts of Rean's "whoever" with regard to being shared with Angelica come into play at any point? Henry Crabgrass says always ask for consent.

He'd still find takers.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

- I also only don't really get Alisa's thoughts on Rean's sister. I guess it's supposed to be Alisa's natural empathy.

Alisa's not necessarily rooting for Rean and Elise to get together, due to her own crush, but family's a big deal with Alisa and the fact that her family's so screwed up and Rean has like the perfect close-knit family going on yet seems to at least on some level keeps his distance annoys her.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Hey! As of about five minutes ago, we have completely finished recording Trails of Cold Steel! :toot: Next one should be up in a day or so, then I just need to go through *incoherent mumbling* more hours in editing!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The bad news: The new minigame isn't going anywhere.

Good news: the horrible minigame at the end is somewhat less horrible in CS2 and honestly pretty drat good in CS3. I can't speak for CS4 yet.