Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Red Minjo posted:

Glad to see that you can fight the great fairies. A decent revenge for them being the worst weapon in the original Hyrule Warriors.

Then you're gonna love what happens when you beat all of them!

Also Impa is absurd, her super changes with a maxed (3 stacks) buff. It deals some more damage, the area becomes huge, and it staggers and forces out the weak point gauge. Since the super burns through just 2 stacks, you can hammer your ability/strong attack and rebuild your buff on the staggered enemy while building more super, and just endlessly go to town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Imagine playing other characters when you can play 2h Link and mercilessly slam all your opponents into the dirt :colbert:.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
You know, I didn't have too much of a problem with the frame rate, right up until I unlocked a certain dancing tree dude and OH MY gently caress THIS IS TERRIBLE

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Without spoiling any of them, does anyone know the exact number of playable characters? Just curious. It seems like it’ll end up being a small roster but I’m still early.

roster seems to be 18 characters, not including the multiple movesets.

Inflammatory fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 22, 2020

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Then you're gonna love what happens when you beat all of them!

Boy were you right! Love to not be able to see when my enemy is gonna attack past the massive character, love being completely destroyed by the smallest fire attack, very cool again.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
I'm still trying to figure out Mimphas heal. Do you just have to end the water combo with R or does any Y also heal your allies or what?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

How does octo-polishing work? Does the rarity of the ingredients used affect the outcome, or is it just that I have to use enough?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
The terror of the Guardians is real now, love to fight up to 3 Guardians at once in the later missions especially when they start spinning at you like Beyblades and using elemental attacks.

Judge Tesla fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Nov 22, 2020

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I dunno if it was mentioned in here or the general Zelda thread but using the spear is loving crazy

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Inflammatory posted:

roster seems to be 18 characters, not including the multiple movesets.

That’s a lot more than I was expecting, nice.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Leal posted:

I absolutely gently caress poo poo up with Mipha. Am I imagining things or does her waterfall move force a weakpoint to appear on enemies?

as The Postman mentioned, a lot of enemies are weak to getting hit in the head, so aerial attacks chip away at their weak points even if it's not up yet. in addition, long combos (at least C5 and C6 on sword-and-shield Link) force the weak point gauge for a brief second, or several seconds if you slap a stasis on them right after. also, specials force a full weak point gauge duration, which i don't think was a thing in the first Hyrule Warriors? oh, and also elemental rods forcing a weak point gauge by default, with an extra long and fragile version when exploiting a weakness or terrain

on top of weak point gauges seemingly popping naturally more often than it did in the previous game, this game gives a surprising number of tools to deal with that core mechanic. makes it feel significantly more active than the old "do nothing but bait weak point smashes" Hyrule Warriors often devolved into

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Another quality of life thing I like - if you fail a mission you can retry from the last checkpoint so those "don't get hit" missions are a lot less annoying

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I'm glad that mission rankings seem to be only for Rupees now, no more losing out on a new weapon because my time was 15:01 or cuz I took more than 4 hearts of damage.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Another question: I’ve gotten a few random pieces of armor for Link from beating story missions. Do you get the other pieces from specific sets later on? Or do you get them for going back and beating the story missions on higher difficulty levels?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Another question: I’ve gotten a few random pieces of armor for Link from beating story missions. Do you get the other pieces from specific sets later on? Or do you get them for going back and beating the story missions on higher difficulty levels?

I got the Desert Voe chestpiece from Urbosa's recruitment mission and the leggings and head from side missions later on, so yeah I don't think higher difficulty does anything beyond making the game harder.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
So far I've been getting them from other missions, I just assembled the Desert Voe set and I haven't touched the difficulty settings.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Shoehead posted:

I dunno if it was mentioned in here or the general Zelda thread but using the spear is loving crazy

It's honestly insulting they don't force you to do the spear training mission immediately so you can see how fun it is.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
I've seen time sensitive missions come up does that mean in mission there is a timer or after a certain point I can't go back and do them?

Also I was kinda meh about the amiibo support in game. All crap items so far for zelda game figures.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Philosopher King posted:

I've seen time sensitive missions come up does that mean in mission there is a timer or after a certain point I can't go back and do them?

Also I was kinda meh about the amiibo support in game. All crap items so far for zelda game figures.

The former

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
all right (character spoilers) maz koshia is pretty fuckin rad, i gotta say.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Inflammatory posted:

The tower he summons for his C5 is super weird and seems to just stick around a while without doing anything. I don't know if I have yet to unlock a follow-up move but it seems like his C2 is the only reliable way to use his gimmick

Other later game character thoughts:

Riju's moveset is wild and I like it very much, but I think she moves around too much to deplete weak-point gauges effectively which is a bummer.
Teba is a little too similar to Revali for my liking. He as good moves at least?
Yenoba seems meh until you memorize the shield color/move matches for his ability, but might be really good once you memorize that.
Prince Sidon is real strong.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

The tower he summons for his C5 is super weird and seems to just stick around a while without doing anything. I don't know if I have yet to unlock a follow-up move but it seems like his C2 is the only reliable way to use his gimmick

Riju's moveset is wild and I like it very much, but I think she moves around too much to deplete weak-point gauges effectively which is a bummer.
Teba is a little too similar to Revali for my liking. He as good moves at least?
Yenoba seems meh until you memorize the shield color/move matches for his ability, but might be really good once you memorize that.

My late game character opinions to your thoughts:

Teba is amazing and I would almost say he's better than Revali. You can hold down ZR during Teba's combos, the only things that seem to reset it are his special and the runes, so you can just drop a max level for the spread bomb arrows whenever you want, and his C... 4 or 5, the one where he does a single arrow straight in front of him, does huge weakpoint damage and you can just do it as much as you want while charging and unleashing his charge arrow. Sidon seems to be the requisite Lu Bu/Volga, his QTE attacks cover huge arcs but his stasis doesn't last for very long so it's better to just do the follow-up, his bombs seem really good though. I agree that it seems hard to keep Riju on target though.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Is this going to be the thread for talking about AoC gameplay? I had posted my quick thoughts and findings on the first 10 characters I unlocked in the main Zelda megathread.

Inflammatory posted:

This character is very cool, and I'm still finding weird things out about them. I was trying to figure out how to make their ZR more worthwhile, and I found that if you do it so that it hits the shrine that is spawned by C5 (YYYYX), you immediately get refunded the use of ZR you spent. It still doesn't feel amazing, but there might be something there.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
What are good fights for getting chu jellies? I needed some electric ones and I ended up doing the Anti Lightning Training I because you get 1 or 2 jellies per run, but I don't know if there's anywhere better.

Also I ended up fusing away everyone's Champion weapons because I got better drops, do you ever get new ones from somewhere? And does doing higher difficulties increase material drops or weapon quality?

On that note I'm kinda lukewarm about weapon fusing in this game. It's much better than the first HW's weapon fusing, which was awful, but I was hoping for something more like Warriors Orochi's weapon fusion where you can select what skills to pass on, and fusing identical skills onto a weapon increases its potency. So far I've figured out whatever skill is the first one on the first weapon you choose for fusion gets passed on (which is annoying when you don't find out if you get another slot until after you've started fusing), and skills gain potency based on level I guess? Not sure about that one.

Also count me in the group of people that are disappointed that Purah and Robbie aren't playable, and am hoping they'll be DLC characters.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You get bonuses for having multiple skills of the same shape on a weapon, the effect increases and you get an attack bonus as well.

As for the skills themselves, as I get further weapons drop with better skills so instead of getting strong attack +2% I get strong attack +4%. Eventually I’m sure you’ll get even better skills and idk if there is a way to remove/replace skills on weapons so I am assuming you can make more copies of the Champion weapons later like you could in BOTW.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You get bonuses for having multiple skills of the same shape on a weapon, the effect increases and you get an attack bonus as well.

As for the skills themselves, as I get further weapons drop with better skills so instead of getting strong attack +2% I get strong attack +4%. Eventually I’m sure you’ll get even better skills and idk if there is a way to remove/replace skills on weapons so I am assuming you can make more copies of the Champion weapons later like you could in BOTW.

Later on you're able to unlock removing seals, both individually and in the "completely clean this weapon off" senses, although it's comparatively material-expensive so if you haven't already levelled a weapon up a fair ways it's likely easier to just find a fresh weapon to start building anyways.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Did anybody else notice that you can control the little guardian on the loading screens?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
What does X do on that screen? The rest are obvious. X seems to do nothing but put it in your control.

Also does anyone know when I can get the Vai outfit? I know it's in the game.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Was messing around with Link's one handed weapon moveset and I found out that if you hold X after any of the finishers, he'll charge his sword, but unlike in HW where all it does when you release is a regular spin attack, each combo finisher has a different charge attack follow up, though keep in mind it doesn't work if you do any aerial follow ups after the finisher (since almost all of his finishers put him in the air), you have to hold X and land back on the ground, then let go.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Does changing difficulty effect anything reward-wise? I've been playing on Hard so far and I'm starting to wonder if it's really worth enemies just having health and me dying easier just so I can say I played through the game on Hard. What difficulty is everyone playing on? For me, this has been the hardest musou I've played. Health recovery is super scarce (at least on hard)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Xad posted:

Was messing around with Link's one handed weapon moveset and I found out that if you hold X after any of the finishers, he'll charge his sword, but unlike in HW where all it does when you release is a regular spin attack, each combo finisher has a different charge attack follow up, though keep in mind it doesn't work if you do any aerial follow ups after the finisher (since almost all of his finishers put him in the air), you have to hold X and land back on the ground, then let go.

I implore everyone to read the combo explanation screen for every character because this is clearly detailed there, along with the special quirks for every other character’s combos. You can even press the control stick to the right to go to a screen where it explains the individual quirks of that character’s runes. This game is significantly better at explaining mechanics than Hyrule Warriors was.

I’ll be damned if I can remember how to get there though lol

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I implore everyone to read the combo explanation screen for every character because this is clearly detailed there, along with the special quirks for every other character’s combos. You can even press the control stick to the right to go to a screen where it explains the individual quirks of that character’s runes. This game is significantly better at explaining mechanics than Hyrule Warriors was.

I’ll be damned if I can remember how to get there though lol

On the screen where you can change their weapons/costume, you press A on Status (the heart option).

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

mabels big day posted:

Does changing difficulty effect anything reward-wise? I've been playing on Hard so far and I'm starting to wonder if it's really worth enemies just having health and me dying easier just so I can say I played through the game on Hard. What difficulty is everyone playing on? For me, this has been the hardest musou I've played. Health recovery is super scarce (at least on hard)

It might influence the damage of weapons you find, but beyond that I can't say I've seen any difference between easy to very hard in terms of rewards. In that sense at least, AoC is very forgiving to newcomers and people who just don't want to deal with higher difficulties, which makes sense if Nintendo wanted people who didn't get HW1 but played BOTW to buy this.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Senerio posted:

What does X do on that screen? The rest are obvious. X seems to do nothing but put it in your control.

It seems like it makes the egg's little blowhole bob up and down

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Senerio posted:

The mission for that appeared for me when I cleared the mission Hyrule's Greatest Warrior, and then it appeared in the desert. I had a shitload of challenges laying around, so I can't say exactly what caused the first mission to appear beyond that I had already finished the final story mission.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Loading screen controls as I've discovered them:

- L and R moves left and right, double tap to dash.
- B Jumps
- X makes the blowhole bob, pressing again makes it stop

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

yunobo is kinda crazy good once you get the gimmick down, yeah. his powered-up strong attacks seem to force a weak-point gauge.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

hitting the shrine with ZR gives you two symbols, meaning it's always a net positive and a quick way to max out symbols as long as you have one to start with

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Up to 89 side battles, 235 side quests, in the post game with about 60ish% map completion now.

This game is alot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Battles where you have to fight Kohga with a time limit are horse poo poo, it's so difficult to get his weak point gauge to appear

Is there a list of which attacks for each character are best at triggering weak points?

Also, what does leveling up actually do for your character? Since it doesn't increase your hearts, and your damage is based on your weapon...