Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

eke out posted:

d'aww the ending is very cute

i'd definitely pick up a sohla cookbook, that's v cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
Nobody:

Sohla: *clap*

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

esperantinc posted:

Has Babish ever done any sort of rundown of the filming equipment he uses? When he popped in with "memory cards" for the camera and was holding just 2.5" SSDs (at least that's what they looked like to me), the IT nerd in me perked up.

He talked about the filming equipment he uses in one of the milestones (I wanna say like...3m?), but his setup's probably changed a lot since then.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Stringent posted:

i'd definitely pick up a sohla cookbook, that's v cool

Yeah, I was just wondering how she doesn't have one already and was glad to hear she was getting swamped in offers. Well deserved. Rick's videos are also enjoyable even if the production is a little shaky/echoy at times.

Anyone doing Molly's patreon club thing? Her book seems a bit much on the style of interactivity and QR codes, but tempted to throw a few bucks her way.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Chef John of Foooooood wishes, dot com, had a live Q&A on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo82GyqwwJg

The biggest takeaway from it is that his voice is still beautiful when talking, but he doesn't do the trademark vocal pattern outside of his videos. I'm a bit disappointed really, I liked envisioning a world where he walked around talking to everyone like he does in his recipe videos.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Sohla calling traditional Thanksgiving food "salt and pepper cooking" is a grade-A putdown, even if she didn't mean it that way.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Trabant posted:

Sohla calling traditional Thanksgiving food "salt and pepper cooking" is a grade-A putdown, even if she didn't mean it that way.

I hear what you're saying, but I don't think it really is. Things aren't bad for being simple or approachable. Bland is bad, simple isn't. Thanksgiving foods generally don't need too much complexity. You can get a lot out of them with salt, pepper and some herbs.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

T.C. posted:

I hear what you're saying, but I don't think it really is. Things aren't bad for being simple or approachable. Bland is bad, simple isn't. Thanksgiving foods generally don't need too much complexity. You can get a lot out of them with salt, pepper and some herbs.

Maybe in Canada :colbert:

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I think it's fair to say that for most people who celebrate Thanksgiving, having a traditional meal that's more or less the same every year is more important than being super creative or innovative. They were talking about the same thing when they did the Thanksgiving making perfect a lot - people have expectations of things like having mashed potatoes, and squash, and pumpkin pie. Making a good Thanksgiving meal is more about executing a relatively straightforward (but big!) meal well than doing anything clever.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Salt and pepper cooking is how she euphemised white people food

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I added fresh sage to the cornbread stuffing one Thanksgiving 22 years ago and my family still makes fun of me for it. I'm the "foodie weirdo that ruined the dressing" going on 2 decades. People really care a lot about Tradition on holidays.

Salt and pepper cooking is cool and good, though. You don't always need more flavor.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

fizzymercy posted:

I added fresh sage to the cornbread stuffing one Thanksgiving 22 years ago and my family still makes fun of me for it. I'm the "foodie weirdo that ruined the dressing" going on 2 decades. People really care a lot about Tradition on holidays.

Salt and pepper cooking is cool and good, though. You don't always need more flavor.

My SO wouldn't eat my stuffing this year because I put sage in it, and they hate sage but never mentioned this to me when I was making stuffing.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
This isn’t my quote but it’s hilarious white people went to war for spices they never use.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I thought my family was dysfunctional and abusive, but at least people who didn't cook knew better than to open their mouths about the food put in front of them lmao

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Veskit posted:

This isn’t my quote but it’s hilarious white people went to war for spices they never use.

wealthy british food was defined by using way too much spices for like hundreds of years, it's funny to me that they're now defined as being so famously-bland (which i assume is the legacy of wartime rationing and the slow post-war recovery)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah the food described in Charles Dickens stuff sounds amazing

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah the food described in Charles Dickens stuff sounds amazing

Would make good YouTube content.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Babish, make me the Redwall feasts that live up to the standards of my childhood imagination.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Aw man

quote:

Ben Watkins, a former 'MasterChef Junior' contestant, dies of cancer at 14

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Jesus christ, that kid's life was terrible.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

Jesus christ, that kid's life was terrible.

Right? Parents died in a murder-suicide and also a rare form of terminal cancer. Poor little dude.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Right? Parents died in a murder-suicide and also a rare form of terminal cancer. Poor little dude.

Really makes me hope that reincarnation is a thing, and it was just whatever maker there is, going "OK, let's try this again".

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Chef John making something I'd expect on a Guy Fieri restaurant menu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIr5BaqghKM

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
You know something I never noticed about Chef John is his closed captions are really hard for me to follow because of his cadence and saying things like "We're going to be stuffing something into something and stuffing that into something". My dyslexia can't follow along at all if I can't hear him. Which is perfectly fine, I get to watch three times. It's worth it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Brad Leone has a new line of clothing and gear and they are friggin expensive.

https://huckberry.com/huckberry-x-brad-leone

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

$128 for a shirt! Some northeastern wife is buying that for her husband but that's ridiculous

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Grem posted:

$128 for a shirt! Some northeastern wife is buying that for her husband but that's ridiculous

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

looks like he knitted that cap himself

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Eh, for small-batch stuff it's kind of in line with what I'd expect. Especially for the few items which are made in the US.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Still waiting for the Leone/Kenji salt cellars to be wack levels of expensive.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I mean he is probably making more money off of these sponsorship deals than he has ever seen before in his life, so not really going to hold it against him. That garlic icon makes me all of a sudden see him as Wario though.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

eke out posted:

wealthy british food was defined by using way too much spices for like hundreds of years, it's funny to me that they're now defined as being so famously-bland (which i assume is the legacy of wartime rationing and the slow post-war recovery)

Wealthy British food was actually French food, is the thing. Non-wealthy British food was like other Germanic countries' food - light on spices for the main dish, but instead you'd have spicy condiments on the side like horseradish or mustard. Hence why if you pick up a tin of Colman's and slather it over your hotdog like you would French's you'll have A Bit Of A Shock.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Molly on the other hand is also selling clothes and I might have to buy one of her probably cheap shirts https://shopmollybaz.com

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Bruno!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5OZ8oV44Bc

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Tweak posted:

Molly on the other hand is also selling clothes and I might have to buy one of her probably cheap shirts https://shopmollybaz.com

Lord her stuff is still higher than a cat's back if it's not a plain t-shirt. Sometimes I'm a little glad I actually like the tacky poo poo Pioneer Woman puts out at Walmart.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Bruno! :allears:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Tweak posted:

Between this, her patreon, and book deals, hopefully Molly is doing alright. Never really liked her content but the solidarity while the rest of the crew was (or still is) quiet is well worth supporting.

e; lol $95 for an apron, all this time I thought it was some kind of smock that she just happened to use. Will probably sell a bunch this christmas though.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 23, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's got a cute embroidery of her dog on it though and to be fair tuna is really cute

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Mu Zeta posted:

Brad Leone has a new line of clothing and gear and they are friggin expensive.

https://huckberry.com/huckberry-x-brad-leone

This is super gross considering Gabby apparently left BA because they wouldn't let her run a solo website/newsletter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

How do you even clean a waxed canvas apron anyway. That thing is going to get gross.