Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe
Have you ever been to Wall Drug in South Dakota? We dropped in there a couple of years ago on the way back from a road trip to Mount Rushmore! It's a town called Wall Drug because the family that founded it was named Wall, I think, and I believe it is likely that they opened a drug store there as well. There are some fountains that shoot up from sidewalks, a statue of a horse you can sit on for pictures, and many souvenir stores. There is free parking, too! We stopped there after driving through the Badlands National Monument. Also, they sell beer.

To summarize, South Dakota has (1) Mount Rushmore, (2) the Badlands, and (3) Wall Drug. Now, of course, nearly everyone in the state has COVID-19, so I would advise against planning trips there until this nastiness blows over.

LOVE,
VITALIS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wall Drug owns but it also kind of sucks but it more owns. It's better than 99.99% of other tourist traps out west. The water is still free for one

phobo
Aug 7, 2008
A town where you can buy drugs, AND you are allowed to shoot up on the sidewalk!?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’ve been there. Years ago my family vacationed in South Dakota and Wyoming and we checked out Wall Drug on that trip. It was sweet. I almost bought a taxidermied jackalope head on a plaque.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
loving six hundred drat miles of signs and all I got was a stupid magnet.

:mad:

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

I prefer butt drugs.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the weirdest thing about wall drug is that the employees are all from like germany and are working there for the summer, they must have like employee housing or something. I hope they get weekends off gthety might be able to get to yellowstone for like 5 hours before they have to turn around

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
My favorite thing about wall drug is how there’s a sign for wall drug like every two miles all the way across the state. One of them was out by New Underwood and said in all caps “FREE COFFEE AND DONUT FOR VIETNAM VETERAN” Good times. I mean not really, living South Dakota sucked poo poo.

The Walrus posted:

the weirdest thing about wall drug is that the employees are all from like germany and are working there for the summer, they must have like employee housing or something. I hope they get weekends off gthety might be able to get to yellowstone for like 5 hours before they have to turn around

There’s always a ton of Europeans working in the Rapid City area during the summer. I mean granted Wall is like 40 miles east but the whole area is just a giant tourist trap. There were two English dudes who worked at the Hotel Alex Johnson one summer and would beat my rear end at darts like twice a week. On Fourth of July I got extremely hammered and kept asking them where their red coats were, and one of the dudes responded with “Where’s your memorial for winning that war in Vietnam?” It was a very sick burn.

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

Vitalis Jackson posted:

To summarize, South Dakota has (1) Mount Rushmore, (2) the Badlands, and (3) Wall Drug.

How could you forget the illustrious Corn Palace?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Hi Vitalis i hope you are well my good friend

Love,
Sid Vicious

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Deadwood is unironically a great time. Unlimited prime rib and crab legs followed by losing at blackjack and doing on shots on the exact spot where Wild Bill Hickcock got shot? Yes please.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

This place sounds like south of the border. Esp. the miles of billboards telling you to go there on the highway.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
i prefer montana

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Vitalis it's nice to see you, thank you for this thread

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
I feel like this thread lacks actionable information that posters like me can use to make meaningful decisions. Should I go to Wall Drug right now? What should I buy there? How much weight can the photo horse support?

Horrible Butts
May 7, 2012
I visited Wall Drug once or twice a few years back. I recall a small church, a piano playin ape, and a harlot.

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I would like to see photos of Wall Drug

Horrible Butts
May 7, 2012
Yes, I remember correctly.

Horrible Butts
May 7, 2012

Giraffe posted:

What should I buy there?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Wall Drug sucks poo poo. 700 miles of billboards for the same lovely touristy crap you can find anywhere else

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i used to like dakota but then it got colder so now i wear daparka

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Mozi posted:

reported this post...............

for making me laugh so hard!!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Mozi posted:

Bailiff! Arrest this man! That joke is illegal in 14 states!

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

RepeatingMeme posted:

I was so ticked when I went to the corn palace. For years people sold me on it as "It's made of corn and they rebuild it every year!". No. It is a regular building with a bit of corn facade. 1/5 stars, would not visit again.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Mozi posted:

:D

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
i mean its no south of the border, in that nothing can be as terrible as south of the border

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

i mean its no south of the border, in that nothing can be as terrible as south of the border

Got married there!

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

wall drug is a lovely gimmick, op

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Been there a million times visiting my Dad when I was younger. They still have that giant T-rex? That thing was rad. And taxidermy jackalopes in every shop.

There's a Mammoth excavation pit somewhere around SD that I remember being pretty cool.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

The Walrus posted:

Cape Cod fills up with seasonal Russian workers in this same way. It must be some kind of visa program employment thing. Worked down there for a year and I think I worked with more Russians than Americans. funny place

Horrible Butts
May 7, 2012

the beatles - Amnesiac posted:

Been there a million times visiting my Dad when I was younger. They still have that giant T-rex? That thing was rad. And taxidermy jackalopes in every shop.

There's a Mammoth excavation pit somewhere around SD that I remember being pretty cool.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

RepeatingMeme posted:

I was not along the year that my family went to the Corn Palace

they were the only ones there and there were a lot of swastikas in that year's design

they did not linger

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I won a marathon in South Dakota and then had to leave before we were snowed in and have to be rescued by snowmobiles.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
never been to the dakotas prob never will OP

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
My car overheated on the way up the hill to Mt. Rushmore and then when we got there that poo poo was tiny. gently caress all of Dakota.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sucks they only got one drug. :shrug:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Sucks they only got one drug. :shrug:

And it's acetaminophen. Get with the times, grampas.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Literally A Person posted:

And it's acetaminophen. Get with the times, grampas.

I am 125 years young and I know all about the REEFERS and the ZIPPERS and the DOOPERS young lass, don’t poo poo on my foot and tell me it’s bear season. :catbert:

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

weg posted:

I prefer butt drugs.

Buh buh buh butt drugs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYYdF0zcuSI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I am 125 years young and I know all about the REEFERS and the ZIPPERS and the DOOPERS young lass, don’t poo poo on my foot and tell me it’s bear season. :catbert:

*unzips pants*

*blows kiss*

It's bear season.