Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Big tip from the pro world here: don't set the default retention policy in outlook to 7 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Hey, look, I heard someone replaced a router in an office 3000 miles away and GUESS WHAT that's exactly when my application we haven't refactored in 20 years that our business completely relies on started frantically making GBS threads itself. And yeah, I might've deployed a little bit of code here and there mere minutes before this started and yeah, I might not have tested it. But there is no way it isn't that loving router.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Woof Blitzer posted:

Big tip from the pro world here: don't set the default retention policy in outlook to 7 years.

13 month retention and purge is coming sometime after the new year and there is going to be so much crying about it. Not my problem, talk to legal. Can’t E-discover things that are deleted, and as long as that’s documented policy you’re in the clear. We’re not even a company that gets a lot of lawsuits, mostly just former employee/labor dispute type things judging by the in place hold requests we get.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

devmd01 posted:

I am SO loving TIRED of having to prove that it’s crappy code/sql queries/app architecture and not the infrastructure.

This...

Our main POS/EDI/ERP software doesn't officially support the server being virtualized, so any problem with it, they immediately blame it on that.

Except it was no different on the non-virtualized server.

The last one I fought with them for a month on. A certain process takes upwards of 15 minutes to run in some cases. Predictably they immediately blamed it on the server being virtualized. Except it was actually much SLOWER on the older non-virtualized server (could take over 25 minutes). Nothing else in the system ran that slow, nor did doing that process on another type of vendor. I believed it to be lovely SQL and I persisted with it. They finally got a developer to get on our system and dig in to see were the problem was.

Eventually they closed the ticket without ever mentioning it and on the same day put out a maintenance release with "Corrected some inefficiencies with cost adjustments" in the release notes. That process now runs in 15 seconds or less.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Woof Blitzer posted:

Outlook is banned on campus, default retention is 90 days unless it had an actual GMail Label applied, then it's 3 years, and indefinite retention if you click the custom "Save as Record" button on an email. We have a procedure to archive a VM of a retired system so we can reproduce an analysis from 10 years ago if we get audited or sued.

Why yes, we are a Swiss-owned company that runs on GxP processes and is involved in a surprising amount of intellectual property litigation. Can't produce an email in discovery if it was deleted according to a policy !

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My company has no retention limit, and no limit to internal attachment size. I have had to manually archive email several times for key executives because they are unwilling to archive via date, unwilling to delete any deleted items, etc. They store everything in the Inbox within a seemingly infinite set of nesting folders, and everything is vital.

Compliance concerns have slowly been creeping up to the management level so some of this might be addressed within the next year or so. We're making billion dollar deals and institutional investors have wised up to the sort of due diligence questions they should be asking us. The prospect of missing out on those investments should be enough to get management to at least try and do the right goddamn thing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

i am a moron posted:

Hey, look, I heard someone replaced a router in an office 3000 miles away and GUESS WHAT that's exactly when my application we haven't refactored in 20 years that our business completely relies on started frantically making GBS threads itself. And yeah, I might've deployed a little bit of code here and there mere minutes before this started and yeah, I might not have tested it. But there is no way it isn't that loving router.

I sat on a bridge for about 4 hours last night because our lovely free event queuing software with next to no documentation wasn't working, and the consultant we had who originally built the software but since left the company didn't even know what was going on for half of it. We would save money at this point by going to SQS and SES, but I doubt they're actually going to do it.

If you're the grumpy Unix admin that I was working with, please don't doxx me.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Late last week a client got a notice that one of their sites would lose power for a few hours this morning and would have it restored at 7am. Arranged a shutdown of all servers on site the night before hand site contact notified users, no drama. Then just before 7am my phone rang. I ignored it. Then a snarky email(naturally cc the general manager and a board member with a few others for good measure) from the head of finance at a different site complaining about the resources at site 1 being unavailable.

Fortunately shortly after 7 our site contact sent a cheery email saying all services are now back up and running as per the schedule previously communicated to users :)

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

DoomTrainPhD posted:

The only other thing you should do is roast your own coffee. But that only requires a frying pan (or air-popper) and green coffee beans. You can pick up a 3lb bag for $~20 on Amazon.

Been there, done that, have the air popper. It wasn't bad, but it was similar to my experience with home brewing. You end up with a lot of stuff you have to drink because you made it, and while it's not bad, you want to try other stuff.

And yeah, I already bought some from the SA Mart guy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Coffee is a motivational elixir to actually do stuff so needing to do extra stuff in order to get that seems counter-productive.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Not trying to stop the coffee derail, but there's a really awesome coffee thread in GWS. I don't drink coffee, but my wife does and it was useful in coffee-seducing her.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437887

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

My DSL is acting stupid so I decided to give my iPhone hotspot a try (my desktop NIC has wifi) and it works surprisingly well. Frontier bought my Verizon account and although they're happy to continue providing DSL they won't support it. If you have a problem their only suggestion is to cancel your account. The only other option in my neighborhood is Spectrum cable which has a reputation around here for shittiness so I'm clinging to my copper for dear life.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

My DSL is acting stupid so I decided to give my iPhone hotspot a try (my desktop NIC has wifi) and it works surprisingly well. Frontier bought my Verizon account and although they're happy to continue providing DSL they won't support it. If you have a problem their only suggestion is to cancel your account. The only other option in my neighborhood is Spectrum cable which has a reputation around here for shittiness so I'm clinging to my copper for dear life.
CenturyLink Gigabit Fiber is one of the reasons I don't want to move out of my building.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Comcast Gig Internet is legit. Relatedly, if you rent their modem, you can upgrade to the unlimited data cap for only $11 a month. No brainer with WFH and streaming TV.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Dick Trauma posted:

I just got Tmobile LTE internet couple weeks ago. Replaces the godawful ATT DSL of 1.5 Mega bit.
Runs around 15-20 Megabit. Their website says 25-50 Megabit but eh, im happy.

Verizon has something that is about the same , but they want you to pay 200 bucks upfront for the device, and Tmobile just has you return it if you cancel the service, so went with Tmobile

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

kensei posted:

Comcast Gig Internet is legit. Relatedly, if you rent their modem, you can upgrade to the unlimited data cap for only $11 a month. No brainer with WFH and streaming TV.

From a rms POV it's absolute bullshit that they have an arbitrary, pointless cap if (and they keep repeating this) almost nobody approaches the cap. And to upgrade for a vaguely-reasonable price requires that you rent hardware that is entirely out of your control, remotely managed, password visible to anyone that logs into your Comcast account. This is poo poo that pisses me off. You're already overpaying to a monopolistic, hostile actor that continually increases prices and demands long term contracts with ETFs. Your money and non-tax fees are going toward lobbying to make municipal networks and fiber illegal. The highest plan has less than 10 Mbps upload in 2020.

Edit: I tried browsing plans. They also don't note the upload anywhere. I've clicked through into plan details, everywhere. They use phrasing like "Gigabit Internet service transmits data up to 1 Gigabit per second (Gbps) — or 1,000 megabits per second" everywhere in their marketing, and continually mention download only. There is not a single mention of upstream on the offer page, the plan page, clicking "Offer Details", "View Details", "Pricing & Other Info"

Impotence fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 24, 2020

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

stevewm posted:

This...

Our main POS/EDI/ERP software doesn't officially support the server being virtualized, so any problem with it, they immediately blame it on that.

Except it was no different on the non-virtualized server.

The last one I fought with them for a month on. A certain process takes upwards of 15 minutes to run in some cases. Predictably they immediately blamed it on the server being virtualized. Except it was actually much SLOWER on the older non-virtualized server (could take over 25 minutes). Nothing else in the system ran that slow, nor did doing that process on another type of vendor. I believed it to be lovely SQL and I persisted with it. They finally got a developer to get on our system and dig in to see were the problem was.

Eventually they closed the ticket without ever mentioning it and on the same day put out a maintenance release with "Corrected some inefficiencies with cost adjustments" in the release notes. That process now runs in 15 seconds or less.

We have Navision running in the cloud which people access through a RDS server. For months after go-live I had people attributing any and all issues on their desktops to Nav. Outlook not printing? Nav. Excel error? Nav. VPN problem? Nav. Etc.

This happens with every change in the IT landscape. One user once blamed O365 for problems with his cell phone.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

DSL is still screwy so I gave Frontier a call and I guess something has changed because they actually claimed to be doing some troubleshooting. Said my modem was throwing a lot of errors, and offered to send me their current Arris modem/router to replace it. Haven't read good things about it, including trouble with putting it into bridge mode but if it will solve the problem that's a step in the right direction.

I've had this DSL line for 20 years and although it's had some bad moments overall it has been very reliable.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I still occasionally have nightmares about the "1.5 Mbps" satellite internet connections I had while working out in Western Alaska. As in an office of 5 working off a single HughesNet satellite dish. I learned to be VERY prepared with anything and everything on my portable USB drive that I might need.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We're using SSL VPN for remote users because they can connect to the 1-2 things they need and can use their home PC.

The problem is, RDP font smoothing doesn't work the same because it's a janky client from the firewall vendor and not the actual Microsoft RDP client. IE fonts are fine. Chrome is not. None of the workarounds seem to work.

Hooray! Nobody can read poo poo.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
We have either CebturyLink or Comcast here and they both suck. But our utilities district is now offering to build a fiber run to my house but I then have to find an ISP to actually give me the bandwidth.

The site survey was completed and it would only cost $34,000 to get the fiber installed.

So now I’m starting a campaign to the 40-odd houses on the proposed fiber route to see if there is enough interest to split the cost.

This is so not going to happen

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just loving lol at this capitalist hellscape where customers have to build their own infrastructure to get decent internet because the corporations refuse and bought laws forbidding the government from doing it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Agrikk posted:

We have either CebturyLink or Comcast here and they both suck. But our utilities district is now offering to build a fiber run to my house but I then have to find an ISP to actually give me the bandwidth.

The site survey was completed and it would only cost $34,000 to get the fiber installed.

So now I’m starting a campaign to the 40-odd houses on the proposed fiber route to see if there is enough interest to split the cost.

This is so not going to happen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twe6uTwOyJo

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I bring up the issue that we can't track long running jobs in Autosys 3 weeks ago... told it can't be done. Today, big data delay due to a long running job in Autosys that affected customers: whoa gently caress we gotta fix this guys!!!

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Anybody in New England (or specifically NH) have Consolidated Communications? We have it at work and IT dudes say their CS is great now but they're also IT dudes on probably business lines. I have Comcast Gigabit now but I'm averaging like 2TB/month and absolutely gently caress Comcast with this new cap. Consolidated just laid Fiber in my neighborhood so I'm curious.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I still occasionally have nightmares about the "1.5 Mbps" satellite internet connections I had while working out in Western Alaska. As in an office of 5 working off a single HughesNet satellite dish. I learned to be VERY prepared with anything and everything on my portable USB drive that I might need.

I actually really enjoyed this when I did it.

Trying to figure out everything you need to pack for a two day job, loading up in a twin-prop and flying to a village that's off the road system. If you forgot something, you're hosed.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
My local fiber ISP (In Indiana) just got bought by a larger ISP called Great Plains Communications from Nebraska. Hopefully the new owners don't gently caress it up.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Pissing me off: having to reschedule a talk with a recruiter that lasts all of three minutes because they want a system administrator with experience having direct reports. That's called a manager, not a system administrator.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Pissing me off: having to reschedule a talk with a recruiter that lasts all of three minutes because they want a system administrator with experience having direct reports. That's called a manager, not a system administrator.

nah, that's like a team lead type thing and isn't that unusual

but gently caress the recruiter for not being able to express that in an e-mail

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah. Thankfully right now I'm not desperate, but still annoying.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Coffeechat: we got a really nice bean-to-cup machine with a steam wand back in January and I was getting good at making patterns with the milk when I made lattes just before we all started working from home permanently. The only bit of the office I miss, I think.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The CEO is getting very weird about security. I'm adding 20 more IP cameras at the spots he specified, and when done we will have one camera for every two employees. The windows are getting covered over with some sort of frosted plexiglass and bars. He wants card readers on almost every internal door, despite no need for physical security between departments or workspaces.

None of this makes any sense. We have no more physical assets than any other office our size, no valuable sensitive data. Why install so many locked doors when they all can be opened by any staff member's ID pass? What the gently caress is the point? There are places now where you can't walk more than 10 feet without having to swipe to unlock a goddamn door. If you want to go from the executive side of the building to the accounting side and you don't cut through the lobby you will have to go through four doors.

It's a single story building that's not even 20k sq ft.

EDIT: He personally decided that I would have an office in the corner of the building farthest from an exit, so if any poo poo goes down I am definitely going to die. I was hoping to take up residence again at my plastic table outside the server room but he wanted to put a trash can there, so...

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 25, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dick Trauma posted:

The CEO is getting very weird about security. I'm adding 20 more IP cameras at the spots he specified, and when done we will have one camera for every two employees. The windows are getting covered over with some sort of frosted plexiglass and bars. He wants card readers on almost every internal door, despite no need for physical security between departments or workspaces.

None of this makes any sense. We have no more physical assets than any other office our size, no valuable sensitive data. Why install so many locked doors when they all can be opened by any staff member's ID pass? What the gently caress is the point? There are places now where you can't walk more than 10 feet without having to swipe to unlock a goddamn door. If you want to go from the executive side of the building to the accounting side and you don't cut through the lobby you will have to go through four doors.

It's a single story building that's not even 20k sq ft.

What're his political leanings? Because my money right now would be "OH NO THE REVOLUTION/CIVIL WAR IS COMING WHEN BIDEN ENTERS OFFICE!! :tinfoil:.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I have to card reader my way into the washroom. Before anyone asks, it only works for one of the washrooms. I presume it helps avoid unintentional errors.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Security theater to appease/impress some sort of auditors or investors? Maybe concerned about butts in seats and who is going in what room when?

Also yeah depending on his political leanings he could be having some major :tinfoil: about civil war, antifa supersoldiers imposing communism on your office, etc.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Dick Trauma posted:

EDIT: He personally decided that I would have an office in the corner of the building farthest from an exit, so if any poo poo goes down I am definitely going to die. I was hoping to take up residence again at my plastic table outside the server room but he wanted to put a trash can there, so...

Rest in pieces

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Emails pissing me off:

:byodood: Why do these lines keep popping up in the requirement planning proposal? They are already in purchase orders.
:) There's no link between the sales order and the purchase order. The PO's were created manually, bypassing the requirement planning, instead of following the correct procedures. As such, the system will keep showing these lines in the proposal as it doesn't know the needs have been fulfilled already.
:byodood: Yes, yes ... But I deleted the lines from the proposal and they keep coming back.
:) As I explained that will keep happening because as long as there's no link between the sales order and the purchase order. Please see the attached mail on how to add manual reservations from the purchase order to the sales order so the requirements planning knows these are linked and fulfilled.
:byodood: I just don't want these lines in the proposal. Can't you make them go away?
:( ...

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

sixth and maimed posted:

Emails pissing me off:

:byodood: Why do these lines keep popping up in the requirement planning proposal? They are already in purchase orders.
:) There's no link between the sales order and the purchase order. The PO's were created manually, bypassing the requirement planning, instead of following the correct procedures. As such, the system will keep showing these lines in the proposal as it doesn't know the needs have been fulfilled already.
:byodood: Yes, yes ... But I deleted the lines from the proposal and they keep coming back.
:) As I explained that will keep happening because as long as there's no link between the sales order and the purchase order. Please see the attached mail on how to add manual reservations from the purchase order to the sales order so the requirements planning knows these are linked and fulfilled.
:byodood: I just don't want these lines in the proposal. Can't you make them go away?
:( ...

Users listen with their mouths and speak with their asses.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Rooted Vegetable posted:

I have to card reader my way into the washroom. Before anyone asks, it only works for one of the washrooms. I presume it helps avoid unintentional errors.

What if they're cleaning it or for any other reasons you can't use that washroom? Ask security to escort you to another one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Rooted Vegetable posted:

That sounds like there was "an incident"

I remember when I started in prisons and they sent me on a training course... I was so used to having to unlock every door to get anywhere that I went to this training centre, up the elevator to the right floor, down the corridor to the entrance and it was shut... I didn't have any keys so I just stood there for about a minute before I realised "oh yeah, doors are usually open in the real world" haha