Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Star Wars is so loving dumb sometimes and I can't tell if I love it or hate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
i love star wars specifically because of how stupid it often is

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Don't forget Grievous kills Jedi Shaggy

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Why would General Grievous kill Mr. Boombastic?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

404notfound posted:

Star Wars is so loving dumb sometimes and I can't tell if I love it or hate it

It is that beautiful nexus in which we all live.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

404notfound posted:

Star Wars is so loving dumb sometimes and I can't tell if I love it or and hate it

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Windu beat Grievous because he was the greatest lightsaber duelist of all time, mastering every lightsaber form and despite many sources claiming Grand Master Yoda was better, they tied in a friendly duel once.
:goonsay:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

tell me the overall thesis of the sequel trilogy.

drat, it feels good to be a Palpatine

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Another time Ahsoka's theme pops up brilliantly, also right at the 1:30 mark. Then segues nicely into It's Over Now, which is one of my favorite Kiner pieces.

https://youtu.be/2OaQdOZJE4E

Heavy spoilers for Rebels in the video, although it only contains the score audio.

Also watching that video makes me LMAO at people who claim TCW/Rebels was just kid stuff, Filoni can bring the pain in a way that Lucas never could on film.

Dingleberry2 fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Nov 24, 2020

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The stupid thing is that that whole sequence was brilliant

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What’s funny is that both Abrams’ and Favreau’s approach to Star Wars basically boils down to “I’m gonna dump all these figures on the floor and play with them and make PEW PEW noises”, but Favreau also has the wherewithal to surround himself with other talented people who maybe understand the franchise a little better than he does and can beef up the story with lore and mysticism.
That's certainly part of it but I think the bigger reason is that Favreau "gets" Star Wars from George Lucas' perspective. Its hard for me to imagine him producing the show we see without fully absorbing the wealth of BTS Star Wars documentaries and making of books to come up with his own take that fits so completely well next to the movies and shows Lucas was involved with.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Jedi Casey Kasem or Jedi Matthew Lillard?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Time for the uber nerds to get pissed...

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2020/11/rumor-boba-fett-miniseries-disney-plus.html

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
That feels redundant

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Has the Battle of Jakku happened by the time this show is set?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Don’t forget to order you Gina Carano tea now, just in time for the holidays!

https://www.amazon.com/Republic-Tea-Mandalorian-Warrior-Caffeine/dp/B08GNRK394

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

PriorMarcus posted:

Has the Battle of Jakku happened by the time this show is set?

Yes. Battle of Jakku happens about 1 year after Endor, and this takes place around 5 years after Endor, so 4 years after that. Roughly.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Super 8 was an exercise in JJ proving to the world that he can do a great job of mimicking the style of actual talented directors in order to film a scene, yet have no idea how to create the connective narrative to put the scenes together in any sort of coherent or interesting manner. He's basically a very slow parrot.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

CelticPredator posted:

My sideshow baby yoda is about to ship!!

Dammit. You got me all excited, but I ordered the one with all the props and multiple ear sculpts and that version isn't out until sometime between December and goddam May.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I worked on FFG's Star Wars RPG from 2011 (pre-release) until a year or two ago. I was the "ships and vehicles" guy and specialized in ships, speeders, guns, and gear. I worked on all three lines, nearly every book, and the three prequel/Clone Wars expansions. If you have a favorite spaceship, gun, droid, or piece of kit in that game, chances are I wrote it.

No lie, I'd watch the poo poo outta that.

Oh hey, big personal thank you. I'll also include a "sorry to hear that" about the post-Asmodee/spin-out difficulties to go with the thanks.

Test Pattern fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 24, 2020

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Cartoon Man posted:

Don’t forget to order you Gina Carano tea now, just in time for the holidays!

https://www.amazon.com/Republic-Tea-Mandalorian-Warrior-Caffeine/dp/B08GNRK394

FWIW I saw the various blends/characters a few weeks ago at the store. Went again last weekend and the only ones left were the Cara Dune ones. She’s not to everyone’s taste. lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hey forgotten weapons / gun nuts can you tell me what LMG was used as the basis for Cara's repeating blaster?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hey forgotten weapons / gun nuts can you tell me what LMG was used as the basis for Cara's repeating blaster?

A Bren Mk 1.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ah, okay. I recognized the MG34 dual drum but the rest of the gun wasn't nearly boxy enough

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

pik_d posted:

I've just started watching The Clone Wars, so yeah.

There's also an earlier series that's just Clone Wars (2003, 3 seasons), but I assume that isn't worth watching as much as The Clone Wars (2008, 7 seasons). Is that true?

Sorry to quote myself but I wrote about it a little earlier in the thread

Hazo posted:

The 2003 series is very uneven. It’s incredibly highly stylized animation with mostly bad storytelling and occasional cool moments. If you liked Samurai Jack or Sym-Bionic Titan you’ll be fine with it cause it’s the same dude and storytelling style. As a Star Wars series, it can best be described as “weird.”

Lots of lingering close-ups on motionless characters and faces, very little music, sporadic bursts of action, minimal dialogue.

Bad: Threepio reveals his new paint job by doing a literal striptease complete with sultry music. Theres space jousting which is stupid as hell but kind of cool? They have a multi-part episode to introduce and defeat a new pointless villain that has zero impact on anything else. There’s an incredibly weird and overly long subplot with Avatar aliens that’s only there to show that Anakin is angry. Dooku says “indeed” a lot and I’m pretty sure that’s his only dialogue twice in a row.

Good: Space battles are awesome. Animated lightsaber duels are clunky but fun to watch. We meet Ventress. Grievous owns. Clones own. The Windu episode linked above is stupid and cool. Battle of Coruscant is fantastic and shows everything leading up to almost the literal moment Episode III starts, but it’s interspersed with said stupid blue mole people subplot.

So basically a lot of downtime and pointless poo poo with cool bits peppered in. Each episode of the first season is only 5 minutes long so it’s not like you’re investing a ton of time.

These memes are more than a little off putting because of all the dumb 4chan slurs and epithets, but I actually spit out a little bit of water at "giga-nigga windu."

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ah, okay. I recognized the MG34 dual drum but the rest of the gun wasn't nearly boxy enough

I was the other way, I recognized the big early Bren drum sight thing almost instantly when it was in the show, but didn't know what the rest of it came from.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p_ugTFfpO4

The first half of Clone Wars 2003 is up and down but everything from the Battle of Hypori onwards is great.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Apparently the descriptive audio for the last Mando episode confirms that the ending scene dark objects are in fact Darktroopers.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Phylodox posted:

It sounds pompous, more like parade music than action-oriented scrappy underdog music.

It's the Resistance version of Glory of the Empire

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Is it fair to say the 2nd episode of season 1, where the Jawas feast on the the Mudhorn egg, explicitly taught the Child to devour eggs?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Cyka

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

What's a good rattlecan-available match for Carasynthia Dune's armor pieces? Working on a cosplay project for :siren: my girlfriend :siren:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Red posted:

Is it fair to say the 2nd episode of season 1, where the Jawas feast on the the Mudhorn egg, explicitly taught the Child to devour eggs?

I think he just likes eating frogs.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Honestly a first person view of the battle over karkoon from Bobas pov ending with him falling in and blacking out to whatever we end up with would be neat. Something a little different and maybe makes it feel more frenetic and busy rather than Boba just getting absolutely chumped on.

Honestly I just don’t care at all about him anymore. Friendship with Boba ended. Din is my new best Mando.

TK-42-1 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 24, 2020

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

TK-42-1 posted:

Honestly a first person view of the battle over karkoon from Bobas pov ending with him falling in and blacking out to whatever we end up with would be neat. Something a little different and maybe makes it feel more frenetic and busy rather than Boba just getting absolutely chumped on.

Honestly I just don’t care at all about him anymore. Friendship with Boba ended. Din is my new best Mando.

Din has some competition from The Armorer. I love the bit where we're all bracing to see the Stormtroopers murder her in the Season One finale but then she just absolutely destroys them.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 24, 2020

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

TK-42-1 posted:

Yeah it's this, Boba Fett does nothing in any of the movies aside from walk around in a cool costume, otherwise honestly he kinda sucks? Half-blind Han accidentally hits him in the back with a pole which sends Boba flying completely out of the movie and until the EU his presumed death. I never got all the hype around him.

Din does all the cool mando poo poo you would presumably hope for out of Boba, so why do we need a retread? Definitely smacks of some higher up looking at Mando's ratings and going "well hey I guess the people like Mandalorians, let's do a series about that Baba Frett guy everybody keeps talking about!"

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I still prefer Fett's background in the EU where he was a cop that killed his corrupt partner then went on the lam. He was a heavily-scarred weirdo obsessed with law in its purest form. Not justice, but the platonic idea of the law. That's why he worked for the Empire hunting Solo, they were the "legit" government and Solo was a criminal.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here's today's hot take rumor mill...

https://movieweb.com/the-mandalorian-fan-theory-luke-skywalker-mace-windu/

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Completely speculative, but fun. I like the photoshop mockup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Everyone posted:

Din has some competition from The Armorer. I love the bit where we're all bracing to see the Stormtroopers murder her in the Season One finale but then she just absolutely destroys them.

:hai:

I really hope that we see her again.