Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

fart simpson posted:

the vegans i am friends with say they wouldn’t be opposed to eggs or dairy if they knew the source farm actually treated their animals well. they say yes it’s possible but lol at trusting anything you find in the supermarket
i cut way back on meat, a farm delivers free range meat and eggs to me direct every few weeks. milk is a different story, the whole business is so centralised i don’t think there’s any alternative here at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
you could be one of those whackos buying unpasteurised milk straight from the farm and subsequently making GBS threads your guts out after you get a contaminated batch

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i don't like my penis. it's coarse, and rough, and irritating, and it gets everywhere.

Stop spreading your midichlorians all over the place it's disgusting

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
the phantom penis

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
my two year old just stops drinking milk if we go to the grocery store for it instead of that sweet Kirkland signature. same milkfat and we usually fill out the kids’ cups out of site due to layout of kitchen.

about to perform a double blind test to see how he does it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

President Beep posted:

at least you’ll be re-membered for something

beeeeeep

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Jabor posted:

you could be one of those whackos buying unpasteurised milk straight from the farm and subsequently making GBS threads your guts out after you get a contaminated batch

the story about them legalizing this in wv then all the lawmakers which voted for it getting sick was a preview of how the us would handle an actual pandemic

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

for milk and eggs it’s true that the immediate production of them does not require killing an animal. but both of those come only from female animals. so you have to either destroy the males or rear them for slaughter. for chickens it’s pretty easy to get around this, you just need a machine to sex the eggs and then destroy the male eggs. that exists but is not widely used yet.

for cows i don’t know if it’s possible to eliminate entirely the supply of excess calves. in order for a cow to produce milk it must have had a calf, and the cow will only produce milk for about 10 months after giving birth. so a dairy cow will produce several calves during its milking lifetime.

so if your goal is to not slaughter animals for human use then chickens may be possible with a little technology, but for cows slaughter is just a necessary part of the cycle of producing milk.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
c reno s: finally got in a fixture that was covid-delayed so the basement bathroom is proceeding, followed by basement wfh office/covid isolation suite. just in time for cases spiking

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Don't kid yourself Jimmy, if a cow ever got the chance he'd eat you and everyone you cared about

yes i know this is the episode about becoming a vegetarian

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Eeyo posted:

for milk and eggs it’s true that the immediate production of them does not require killing an animal. but both of those come only from female animals. so you have to either destroy the males or rear them for slaughter. for chickens it’s pretty easy to get around this, you just need a machine to sex the eggs and then destroy the male eggs. that exists but is not widely used yet.

for cows i don’t know if it’s possible to eliminate entirely the supply of excess calves. in order for a cow to produce milk it must have had a calf, and the cow will only produce milk for about 10 months after giving birth. so a dairy cow will produce several calves during its milking lifetime.

so if your goal is to not slaughter animals for human use then chickens may be possible with a little technology, but for cows slaughter is just a necessary part of the cycle of producing milk.

Couldn't you could just use the boicows for leather?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
...that also kills the cow

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i remember the first time i saw green yard eggs and congratulated my coworker for his neighbor's dr seuss chickens

easter eggers rule and I really need to get around to building a coop behind the garage

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

haveblue posted:

...that also kills the cow

Yeah but this way you can get jackets and boots.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Eeyo posted:

that is also how we ended up eating veal because if you're not raising it to adulthood for leather they use tons of resources

the problem, of course, is when we started specifically producing veal at industrial scale

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

as always just dialing back how much meat, milk and eggs you eat is pretty doable and gets most of the positive effects while not really missing out on a whole lot.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

as always just dialing back how much meat, milk and eggs you eat is pretty doable and gets most of the positive effects while not really missing out on a whole lot.
true. any sort of mindfulness about meat and milk/cheese/butter (and/or sugar and salt) is going to have better outcomes than not at all, regardless of the ideology behind it

eggs i don’t eat anyway and there’s less to be gained there but sure w/e micromanage your egg use too while you’re at it

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

let's talk about the carbon foot-print of metal butter knives

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my butter knife sequesters carbon by being made of carbon steel

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PokeJoe posted:

my butter knife sequesters carbon by being made of carbon steel

normal butter knives are carboniferous, fer means steel, so same. checkmate, athestits :smuggo:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

PokeJoe posted:

my coworker from the south who used to work in a chicken farm told me about the quest for breeding the olive eggers that lots of people do

in college i had a friend who was from a rural part of maryland and knew chicken farmers. he said it's quite lucrative, they make like 200k, and you barely have to do any work. the chickens come in on the tyson truck as babies, you raise them to adults, and then they leave on the tyson truck again. the chickens live in a giant warehouse full of cages and everything is computer controlled and automated. all the farmer has to do is walk through once in a while and pull out the dead ones

he majored in math and is now a computer toucher. hard to say if this is worse or better

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

DELETE CASCADE posted:

in college i had a friend who was from a rural part of maryland and knew chicken farmers. he said it's quite lucrative, they make like 200k, and you barely have to do any work. the chickens come in on the tyson truck as babies, you raise them to adults, and then they leave on the tyson truck again. the chickens live in a giant warehouse full of cages and everything is computer controlled and automated. all the farmer has to do is walk through once in a while and pull out the dead ones

he majored in math and is now a computer toucher. hard to say if this is worse or better

what tyson did with chickenization is the original ‘uber for X’ re: contracting, risk, etc.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

a lot of those factory farms were screwed by the pandemic. the farmers build the facilities and shoulder all of the financial risk, and if the company says "sorry no market for poultry right now, too bad" the farmers are hosed

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
yeah i think he mentioned there is some type of exclusive contract so you are basically screwed if your one supplier doesn't wanna do business

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

DELETE CASCADE posted:

yeah i think he mentioned there is some type of exclusive contract so you are basically screwed if your one supplier doesn't wanna do business

big time. tyson also controls absolutely all the parameters of the battery. feeling guilty because these animals will never see the sun or fresh air, or packed so closely that when they die they start cannibalizing each other? tough poo poo, some actuary determined the "correct" way to do this to maximize profit and you are not allowed to do anything to improve the absolutely horrid raising conditions because those variables are not approved.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

big time. tyson also controls absolutely all the parameters of the battery. feeling guilty because these animals will never see the sun or fresh air, or packed so closely that when they die they start cannibalizing each other? tough poo poo, some actuary determined the "correct" way to do this to maximize profit and you are not allowed to do anything to improve the absolutely horrid raising conditions because those variables are not approved.
excellent multi-track drifting use of “battery” ngl

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
oooookay. here we go!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
that’s illegal!!!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

oh gently caress how do i delete!

srsly i'm freaking out here.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

President Beep posted:

oooookay. here we go!

please don't ferment your own piss, who do you think you are, the president of the united states of america???

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

huffing beep jenkem to post better

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

after i poured the must into that bottle there were these little granular thingies on the bottom of the pan and I immediately thought "ooooh! little honey crystals!" and ate some. nope. diammonium phosphate and food-grade urea that i'd added. :eng99:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

President Beep posted:

oooookay. here we go!

gross

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lmao. thank you.

e: i'm gonna put that in my sig somehow.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
holy poo poo lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

sig check

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

woah! lol. that's not gonna work.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
lmfao

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

actually keep that just the way it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.