Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Halo 1 has a few insanely bad levels that are almost impossible to navigate if you get turned around at any point, they got me so lost when I was 13 and I quit halfway through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Herc's Adventures was one of my favourite ps1 games to play with an old friend and I've never heard or seen another person mention it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

it was fun to trick the big armored guys to melee you and then shoot them in the back with a single casual pistol shot

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
The basebuilding in the " first new" X-Com sucks because I suck at it and it's not fun.
Also, the way that game is paced and how promotions work, it seems I need to stick to a select elite force and not get any of them killed, ever.
I haven't played the older games but from what I've seen, you're kind of expected to lose quite a few people in those.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, the base building and personnel management aspects were pretty superficial and clearly mostly there because they were expected. They could have as well let you make a permanent squad like in an RPG and the difference would've been minimal.

But I don't remember the sequel being much different from the first one in these regards.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
I just haven't gotten that far.
I played Enemy Unknown up to something called "terror mission" or something, dunno, and this new type of alien just ran into the room and stabbed my dude.
Stopped playing after that. In hindsight, maybe going in blind on ironman mode was a mistake.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I really loved xcom 1994 and xcom 2012 but havn't been able to find the time to play xcom 2, should i?

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Caesar Saladin posted:

Halo 1 has a few insanely bad levels that are almost impossible to navigate if you get turned around at any point, they got me so lost when I was 13 and I quit halfway through

A very smart decision since while the first half of Halo is fantastic and was one of my favorite things to play as a teen, the second half is much duller than the first.

I actually haven't played a shooter since my teens, which was the time of the original Call of Duty and Halo and Half-Life 2 etc. Playing Doom Eternal after such a long time has been quite a trip.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Avirosb posted:

I just haven't gotten that far.
I played Enemy Unknown up to something called "terror mission" or something, dunno, and this new type of alien just ran into the room and stabbed my dude.
Stopped playing after that. In hindsight, maybe going in blind on ironman mode was a mistake.
Sounds like you got the authentic :xcom: experience - 'gratz!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I really loved xcom 1994 and xcom 2012 but havn't been able to find the time to play xcom 2, should i?
nu Xcom2 is a very cool case of the mechanics evolving in response to perceived gameplay flaws. I preferred the flavor of Xcom1 (2012) and its goofy armours, but it had issues with overwatch crawl once players knew how things worked. Which is degenerate and boring and bad, so they came up with a bunch of stuff to keep the combat loop interesting for #2. Big scary timers are part of it, but there's a lot of cheating (in the player's favor) going on in the background too. The xpack for #2 really is the crowning achievement from Jake, but adds so much new stuff that you really need a vanilla run through first.

So yes, game is good, if you like the idea of tactical shootyman sims, get Xcom1(+xpack), 2, then 2+xpack, in that ascending order of complexity. They are good games and sold well for a reason.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Serephina posted:

I preferred the flavor of Xcom1 (2012) and its goofy armours,

FINALLY, someone who agrees with me on this.

Playing the XCOM as special black-ops force against sectoids and thin men (and other alien stereotypes) is much more interesting, than being a "cool rag-tag group of rebels" against genetically modified cops and robots.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I feel like the only people who like XCOM are masochists and people who so desperately want the type of game XCOM is they'll settle for it as there's nothing actually good in the space.

Like people who thought Dune 2 or Warcraft: Orcs and Humans were good games but the real good stuff in the genre was yet to come.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Phigs posted:

Like people who thought Dune 2 or Warcraft: Orcs and Humans were good games but the real good stuff in the genre was yet to come.

Like Starcraft?

Which happens to be set in space

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

its crazy how Blizzard ripped of Warhammer Fantasy and then a few years later ripped off Warhammer 40k. Once I understand, but twice?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Actually i think you'll find no protoss representation in the 40k universe

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Caesar Saladin posted:

its crazy how Blizzard ripped of Warhammer Fantasy and then a few years later ripped off Warhammer 40k. Once I understand, but twice?

Yeah, and so brazen. I always find that weird, that they don't get called out on it more.

It's like league of legends, using the characters from the Battle Chasers comic in it, and no one ever bringing it up?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

space elves are space elves even if you make them look a lil different

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Protoss are more space orc than space elf

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

but they're super psychic skinny arrogant dorks who live in fancy golden buildings

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Ancient

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Phigs posted:

Ancient

Is there another word for 'group of people of greater age'?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JollyBoyJohn posted:

the Tau kind if look like protoss

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

!Klams posted:

Is there another word for 'group of people of greater age'?

Seniors.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Avirosb posted:

Seniors.

That's just mister in Spanish u dummy

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Lol I don't think you're allowed to complain about xcom difficulty if you choose ironman your first time out

I agree enemy within is better than 2 just because I like doing ufo raids more than the city stuff, but 2 having melee makes it the better game mechanically imo. Sword guys own

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Shibawanko posted:

halo 1 is fun the other ones are lovely

This man's ironic punishment in hell will be to play The Library on legendary, but when he rides the last elevator, he just arrives back at the first floor again

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Phigs posted:

I feel like the only people who like XCOM are masochists and people who so desperately want the type of game XCOM is they'll settle for it as there's nothing actually good in the space.

x-com for non-masochists is mario & rabbids

it’s pretty good even though I can’t fuckin stand rabbids

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
There aren't enough games in the turn based tactical rpg genre.

Banner saga would be good if they hadn't gone for "depressing downward spiral" as an aesthetic

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

ikanreed posted:

God bless Yakuza 7

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

ikanreed posted:

Banner saga would be good if they hadn't gone for "depressing downward spiral" as an aesthetic

I just want another tactics ogre

Hell I'd take another ogre battle

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ikanreed posted:

i can't wait for The Last Spell god drat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j83RLrJCD0

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Rutibex posted:

i can't wait for The Last Spell god drat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j83RLrJCD0

That looks dope as poo poo, I was just talking with my brother about wanting to play a survival RTS and other than They Are Billions there kinda aren’t too many great “defend your poo poo with RTS stuff” games.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Serephina posted:

Sounds like you got the authentic :xcom: experience - 'gratz!

my authentic :xcom: experience was the midgame dlc event in xcom2012 where your base gets attacked and the game auto-deploys a random assortment of recruits on hand, and instead of giving me my colonel snipers and shotgunners all i got was Pvt Brett Farnsley from Ghana with a loving holdout pistol

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

jokes posted:

That looks dope as poo poo, I was just talking with my brother about wanting to play a survival RTS and other than They Are Billions there kinda aren’t too many great “defend your poo poo with RTS stuff” games.

That's a super terrible trailer though. I legit stopped looking at that monitor and actually forgot I had it running until about 50 seconds in and my eyes wandered back and I thought "does this even show gameplay?". Was about to close it when the gameplay started loving a minute into the trailer.

I don't get how you can be this bad at making a trailer. It seems like the easiest loving thing to get that part correct. I don't care about your lore if I'm not already invested in your game and how can I be invested if I haven't seen anything but your lore?

Legit made me angry. All that work put in to a game and they could be wasting it if all their marketing is on par with that trailer.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

!Klams posted:

Yeah, and so brazen. I always find that weird, that they don't get called out on it more.

It's like league of legends, using the characters from the Battle Chasers comic in it, and no one ever bringing it up?

Which LoL characters are based on Battle Chasers characters?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Mr. Lobe posted:

One of the greatest offenses of Square

Vandar posted:

Which LoL characters are based on Battle Chasers characters?

I'm gonna guess Garen, Blitzcrank, Ezreal, and Katarina are Garrison, Calibretto, Gully, and Red Monika

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Caesar Saladin posted:

I played halo for the first time since adolescence and was dreading this very thing, and for the most part it really wasn't that big of a deal. The game's so linear that you can just muddle your way forward and be fine, it's not the ridiculous labyrinth I imagined.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Phigs posted:

That's a super terrible trailer though. I legit stopped looking at that monitor and actually forgot I had it running until about 50 seconds in and my eyes wandered back and I thought "does this even show gameplay?". Was about to close it when the gameplay started loving a minute into the trailer.

I don't get how you can be this bad at making a trailer. It seems like the easiest loving thing to get that part correct. I don't care about your lore if I'm not already invested in your game and how can I be invested if I haven't seen anything but your lore?

Legit made me angry. All that work put in to a game and they could be wasting it if all their marketing is on par with that trailer.

This is such a loving problem on Steam. Every time I go to check out a game that looks interesting I immediately skip to the halfway point on the first video, and if there's no gameplay footage I skip to the halfway point on the next video and if there's still nothing I'm out. Who the gently caress do they think is going to sit through a minute of every logo from every company involved in the game slowly fading in and out of a black screen as dramatic music builds? Who is being sold on games from watching a short cgi scene of some randos having a crouching tiger fight like they're 2000s era Blizzard? Like even tiny indie studios who should know better are still doing this poo poo.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The x-com '94 base building is also generally pretty trivial once you understand what you're doing, much like the geoscape system in general. Julian Gollop got roped into adding a strategic layer when he just wanted to make a tactical game and it shows. The mondo-mods like xcom files and xpiratez do more with bases, especially the latter, but it's kinda not the strength of the game. They're also insanely bloated and poorly playtested past the first part.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Mr. Lobe posted:

I think I'd call Tactics Ogre my favourite game ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Panzeh posted:

The x-com '94 base building is also generally pretty trivial once you understand what you're doing, much like the geoscape system in general. Julian Gollop got roped into adding a strategic layer when he just wanted to make a tactical game and it shows. The mondo-mods like xcom files and xpiratez do more with bases, especially the latter, but it's kinda not the strength of the game. They're also insanely bloated and poorly playtested past the first part.

Otoh the tactical gameplay has a lot less draw without the strategy layer gradually changing combat and getting you invested in individual soldiers, making mission outcomes matter, and providing a narrative via research.

It's not deep or interesting gameplay, but really makes the part that is feel more satisfying.