Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
not interested until I know how long it takes to copy a 17 meg file

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I use my Apple m1 for real work tasks, like organizing Microsoft outlook and googling the best ways to turn it off and back on again.

Apr 7, 2003

My OneDrive sync has been beachballed for two days now.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

personally I am glad you are suffering and it amuses me

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
let me get this straight: apple gaming.... bad?

Apr 7, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Just saying that your use case of turning the computer off and back on again or running vim isn’t very exhaustive

You could janitor computers with a ten year old MacBook at this point

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I've got some bad news but it turns out that the vast majority of the workforces computer needs can be fulfilled by the performance of a 10 year old macbook and the important factor now is battery life/efficiency which x86 categorically sucks rear end at

Apr 7, 2003

How much battery life does turning the computer off and on again require

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

wouldn't know I use a mac

Apr 7, 2003

But seriously, no one is disputing the battery life, but the tech media is full of assholes hooting about how this thing is a new performance breakthrough and it really ain’t.

Apr 7, 2003

wouldn't know I use a mac

I demand only the best to help my boss organize his photos

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

let me get this straight: apple gaming.... bad?

everyone was saying it was amazing. but it isn’t!!!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Correct, power efficiency is not an aspect of performance.

so glad i can tell the PMs to just tack a 0 onto the target power budgets for all the products at work

yes this cellular router now requires 300W. why? gently caress you thats why.

Apr 7, 2003

The Management posted:

everyone was saying it was amazing. but it isn’t!!!

It's about on par with a desktop Intel system from 8 years ago.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i am enjoying the turn this thread has taken.

also a very real lol to anyone having any non-ios-port gaming aspect in mind for arm macs, developers were not largely ignoring the platform before because it was too *similar* to one of their existing targets.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Apr 7, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i am enjoying the turn this thread has taken.

also a very real lol to anyone having any non-ios-port gaming aspect in mind for arm macs, developers were not largely ignoring the platform before because it was too *similar* to one of their existing targets.

It's not very good for 3D, yeah.

Apr 7, 2003

My job adding printers to the Accounting workgroup is very demanding, and I only accept the best. Apple M1.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

This is some walmart-brand knockoff Kirk meltdown poo poo. Shameful.

Apr 7, 2003

You think gaming is intense? Let me tell you about the real measure of a CPU: deleting bonzibuddy and fifteen IE toolbars from my boss's computer.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Macs dont even have games

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Try L4D2 or TF2 or something like that

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

FCKGW posted:

This is some walmart-brand knockoff Kirk meltdown poo poo. Shameful.
personally I feel very badly for anyone who had to purchase an m1 mac for gaming at gunpoint within the first week they were available

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
~my gaming macbook~

Apr 7, 2003

The Management posted:

~my gaming macbook~

Literally what Apple and the media are claiming

Like I said, it's a good mobile CPU but it isn't some earthshattering revolution in performance.

I guess it's good if you're that computer janitor on the previous page who sets printers up.

Apr 7, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

Try L4D2 or TF2 or something like that

The Steam interface lags too bad to use search or scroll down the game list lol

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
wow this laptop is not as fast as desktop, guess I'll put my desktop in my backpack and use it at the coffee shop then

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

if you need battery life it is a fantastic CPU. if you don't but just need a small form factor like a laptop. if you don't need a small form factor it isn't a good choice, and it is also completely loving useless at certain applications, playing games being one of them.

so for my needs: an arm Mac would be a good replacement for the thinkpad x1 that mrs pony and I use for random poo poo that is a pain to do on a phone. it would be be completely loving useless at replacing my work laptop because while it would be easy to carry from the office to home or replace by overnighting a freshly imaged one (the main reasons we have laptops) it can't drive more than one external monitor. it would be completely loving useless at replacing my desktop because it can't drive two monitors and it can't play games.

I'm interested to see where they take the M1 in the iMac, but a little afraid they'll just make the iMac thinner and higher margin.

Apr 7, 2003

Perplx posted:

wow this laptop is not as fast as desktop, guess I'll put my desktop in my backpack and use it at the coffee shop then

Daring Fireball is literally doing comparisons to desktop CPUs / GPUs

Like I said, it's a nice system and I like it, but people are really going balls in on it as some sort of performance evolution. It isn't.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
what I need most in the word is a computer that can run the steam interface swiftly

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Silver Alicorn posted:

what I need most in the word is a computer that can run the steam interface swiftly

you're in luck, they release a list of 500 of these every year

Apr 7, 2003

lol at people making excuses for poo poo performance

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
All your problems are emulation related, which will be a footnote in a year, you are only experiencing them because you're an early adapter.

Apr 7, 2003

Perplx posted:

All your problems are emulation related, which will be a footnote in a year, you are only experiencing them because you're an early adapter.

I guess we'll see, until then I'll continue to make fun of OneDrive beachballing for four hours.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I use my M1 chip for cooking eggs and I tell you it’s worse than useless at it

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

onedrive will beachball for weeks on end syncing on a handful of files regardless of arm or intel. it's total dogshit

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
this is why tori is banned from other forums, he just hasn’t been around for a while. guess his marriage is breaking up again

Apr 7, 2003

onedrive will beachball for weeks on end syncing on a handful of files regardless of arm or intel. it's total dogshit

Nah, never seen it lock up on my Windows PC or my old 2017 MacBook Pro

Apr 7, 2003

rjmccall posted:

this is why tori is banned from other forums, he just hasn’t been around for a while. guess his marriage is breaking up again

I've never been banned from any other forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

The M1 just isn't all it's cracked up to be.