Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Azathoth posted:

Here's my recommendations for stuff that's got an ongoing plot:

66B
Adventures in New America
Among the Stars and Bones
Archive 81
Ark City
ars PARADOXICA
Dark Ages
Dreamboy
Duggan Hill
Fall of the House of Sunshine
Girl in Space
Hadron Gospel Hour
The Hyacinth Disaster
In Her Burning
Janus Descending
Kalila Stormfire's Economical Magic Services
Limetown
Mabel
The Magical History of Knox County
The Magnus Archives
The Message
Mirrors
Mission to Zyxx
The Orphans
The Penumbra
The Phenomenon
Point Mystic
A Scottish Podcast
The Six Disappearances of Ella McCray
Spines
StarTripper
Station to Station
Steal the Stars
The Subjective Truth
Tales from the Alethian Society
Tides
Unwell
Vast Horizon
Victoriocity
The White Vault
Wolf 359

Also, I put these recommendations up earlier this year, check out anything here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Has anyone listened to Dust? It's mentioned before each episode of nightvale and I keep forgetting to add it to my playlist to check out.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Len posted:

Has anyone listened to Dust? It's mentioned before each episode of nightvale and I keep forgetting to add it to my playlist to check out.

Yeah, made it 2 eps in before I ditched it. The production is slick, but the writing lies between amateurish and cringe-inducing.

Ed: ep2’s isn’t even internally consistent, on top of being babby’s first hamfisted thrown-brick-subtle work of ‘political horror’.

Both episodes made it approx 2/3 through their runtime before sharting what little consideration they had applied to the episodes topic up the wall.

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 23, 2020

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Len posted:

The Chrysalis story they're running right now is extremely good.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Arrhythmia posted:

The newest darling is Old Gods of Appalachia

And it's fantastic

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Everytime i hear that i should try out Best Fiends i feel real sad for nightvale and i can't quite place why

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Arrhythmia posted:

The newest darling is Old Gods of Appalachia

I had never heard of this before but holy poo poo is this good

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Archive 81 announces a show on netflix: https://twitter.com/HarmonyInHead/status/1320760040282873866

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty

I'm really jazzed about this because I love A81, but I really hope they don't just do the first season and cut it. The first one was good, but man I'd love to see some of the weirder poo poo they get up to actually show up.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah, I will 100% watch it even if it's just one season, but I hope they get more and go full weird like the podcast did.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The first season was an above average found footage horror podcast to lure you in, everything after was great and weird in the right ways.

I'm not sure how they would carry over listening to tapes to map out an unknowable city while you get yelled at by the guy from Glen Gary Glen Ross

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Len posted:

The first season was an above average found footage horror podcast to lure you in, everything after was great and weird in the right ways.

I'm not sure how they would carry over listening to tapes to map out an unknowable city while you get yelled at by the guy from Glen Gary Glen Ross

Now I understand your concert, really I do, but we're going to just have to watch this thing together, okay little buddy?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

According to the press kit Unseen drops today. I'm real interested in the Wolf359 group, they're other mini series were all really really good

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Len posted:

According to the press kit Unseen drops today. I'm real interested in the Wolf359 group, they're other mini series were all really really good

Have they done one besides the one about bomb defusing?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Arrhythmia posted:

Zero Hours
https://www.zerohourspodcast.com/about

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Arrhythmia posted:

Zach Valenti is also acting on Primordial Deep, a new podcast from Jordan Cobb that just dropped its first episode. I like her stuff, so I'm definitely gonna see where it goes.

I know I've heard Gabriel Urbina's name come up on a couple podcasts recently as a producer/writer, but my searches aren't turning up anything. I know he's been involved with the Arden Podcast, which I haven't listened to, but which I've heard good things about.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

Episode one was pretty much just setting up the premise. Curious to see where it goes.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I listened to Janus Descending. it wasn't very good. The central mystery had the most obvious "you think one thing happened but actually the opposite thing happened" twist i've ever experienced.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Re the latest Magnus Archives,

I kind of agreed with Distortion!Helen calling out Jon (and by proxy the show itself, really) for putting so much weight on the character of Helen. For someone who only showed up once as a statement-giver before taking on her current role, and has only really been in a handful of episodes at all, Jon and Martin both seemed to treat their relationship with her with a lot more gravity than anything in the story itself ever gave it - both of them, Martin especially, seemed to have this deep important relationship with her, while again Martin especially barely interacted with her as a non-avatar.

For all that we're only a dozen episodes from the end of the series, it doesn't really feel like we're really moving towards anything yet, aside from every week yet again reinforcing that post-Apocalypse earth is indeed pretty lovely and killing off (or sparing, according to Jon's whim in the moment) various long-running characters.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
The Magnus Archives episode about being trapped in a prison of academia, testing various theories on how to escape was one of the funniest things they've ever done (I'm sure part of that is I've been inching towards a Ph.D. for six years).

Unseen's first two eps have been really good, I haven't listened to the third yet.

Also, the Magnus creators did a panel with some other people and put it on the feed, and they gave a bunch of recommendations for other pods. I tried Down Below the Reservoir, but it didn't do much for me, and the theme song is the most edgelord poo poo ever:

quote:

There is no God, love is impossible,
There is no escape from a cold, unfeeling universe,
Love is a lie and God is your enemy,
Down below the reservoir.

Then I started listening to The Six Disappearances of Ella McRae, and it's really good so far. I generally prefer podcasts that are performed, rather than just one person telling stories. I like Old Gods, but it takes effort to stay focused on it. Poor Cowboy.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Any chance you could post their full rec list? I love Magnus, but I skip their out-of-universe stuff

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Giant Ethicist posted:

Re the latest Magnus Archives,

I kind of agreed with Distortion!Helen calling out Jon (and by proxy the show itself, really) for putting so much weight on the character of Helen. For someone who only showed up once as a statement-giver before taking on her current role, and has only really been in a handful of episodes at all, Jon and Martin both seemed to treat their relationship with her with a lot more gravity than anything in the story itself ever gave it - both of them, Martin especially, seemed to have this deep important relationship with her, while again Martin especially barely interacted with her as a non-avatar.

For all that we're only a dozen episodes from the end of the series, it doesn't really feel like we're really moving towards anything yet, aside from every week yet again reinforcing that post-Apocalypse earth is indeed pretty lovely and killing off (or sparing, according to Jon's whim in the moment) various long-running characters.

They did have a relationship with Michael and what was done to Helen was done right in front of them so I can see that enhancing the connection.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Giant Ethicist posted:

For all that we're only a dozen episodes from the end of the series, it doesn't really feel like we're really moving towards anything yet,

The episode before last where Martin is running down all the possible endings and how he would react to them doesn't strike you as foreshadowing?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Azathoth posted:

Any chance you could post their full rec list? I love Magnus, but I skip their out-of-universe stuff

Aside from the two I mentioned, there was White Vault and Mirrors. Those were the four I made note of, I don't remember any others.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I’ve been listening to Unseen not sure what to think of it yet, voice acting is good, stories are somewhat interesting I wonder if they’ll connect any of the stories eventually

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Do it ironically posted:

I’ve been listening to Unseen not sure what to think of it yet, voice acting is good, stories are somewhat interesting I wonder if they’ll connect any of the stories eventually

I am enjoying it so far, but yeah, it's hard to know what to make of it right now. I'm hoping that the first season is all about laying down the basics of the world and that we actually get an ongoing story in season two.

If they keep going with the whole "each character gets one episode a season, no ongoing story, all worldbuilding all the time" thing beyond season one, then I sincerely hope that there's something more interesting to the world than the painfully bland urban fantasy world they've set up so far.

Like, I'm not even going to spoil this, its so basic: there's magic under our noses, it's hard to do, there's a magic store, there's a magic school, there's faeries and at least one faerie court. Three episodes in and that's all. This isn't the late 80s / early 90s, you can't get by with that being your world if worldbuilding is all you're gonna do. There's a dozen Twilight ripoffs that have managed more interesting worlds faster.

That said, the production values, the dialogue, and the performances have been so drat good. I care about the characters they've set up, so hopefully they come back. If it were literally any other team, I'd drop out now and check back in 6 months to see if they've figured it kut, but Wolf 359 has earned them some leeway. I just hope they start paying it off soon.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm enjoying Unseen but yeah i also want it to start connecting some dots and becoming more than just a monolog.

Also Zach Valenti needs to be given an episode real soon

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Azathoth posted:

That said, the production values, the dialogue, and the performances have been so drat good. I care about the characters they've set up, so hopefully they come back. If it were literally any other team, I'd drop out now and check back in 6 months to see if they've figured it kut, but Wolf 359 has earned them some leeway. I just hope they start paying it off soon.

The current run is only 10 episodes with no real indication that they plan for more.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Mokinokaro posted:

The current run is only 10 episodes with no real indication that they plan for more.

that's fair, though the phrase "season one" implies the desire to create additional seasons, even if said plan is nothing more than "if we can make enough doing season one to finance season two, we'll figure something out then"

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Azathoth posted:

that's fair, though the phrase "season one" implies the desire to create additional seasons, even if said plan is nothing more than "if we can make enough doing season one to finance season two, we'll figure something out then"

They were expecting maybe a brief eight episode miniseries and had a Kickstarter of $10000. They cleared that in 24 hours and then got several times more, so they have all sorts of plans for what they want to do, but who knows how much they'll actually do.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Tanis people suddenly started producing the second season of the Last Movie if anyone is interested.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Sekenr posted:

Tanis people suddenly started producing the second season of the Last Movie if anyone is interested.

It’s pretty rowdy

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Oh god the plot is deathly stupid. Although listening at 1/2 speed they all sound completely appropriate. Drunk idiots, but appropriate drunk idiots.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Ratatozsk posted:

Oh god the plot is deathly stupid. Although listening at 1/2 speed they all sound completely appropriate. Drunk idiots, but appropriate drunk idiots.

If you didn't see the phrase "Tanis people" and immediately ignore the rest of the post I feel sorry for you.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
In non-drunk idiot news, I just finished listening to Red Valley - https://www.redvalleypod.com/

It's good! Six episodes in season one. Maybe two hours total. The writing is good, and has a minimum of forced plot bullshit.

Red Valley is a near-future scifi thriller about Warren Godby, a new accountant at the multi-national conglomerate Overhead. He's trying to track down an initiative named Red Valley, a seed vault developed by a subsidiary of a merger that seems to have some accounting irregularities.

Along the way Warren learns a lot about cryonics, how to properly head-butt a man, and rekindles his love of Sonic the Hedgehog with a paranoid coworker.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

vortmax posted:

If you didn't see the phrase "Tanis people" and immediately ignore the rest of the post I feel sorry for you.

Yeah, no poo poo. I genuinely do not understand why anyone who bounced off of Tanis (or any of the other podcasts by the same people) would even try one of their other ones at this point. It's crystal clear right now what you're gonna get with one of theirs and yet people still seem to think that yes, in season 2 of The Last Movie, a podcast with two of the main characters from Tanis and by the same people, that this season is the one where it's not going to be a hot loving mess of loose ends and Shyamalanian twists.

Why anyone would hate listen to a podcast they know they won't like when there's so much other media out there to consume instead is absolutely beyond me.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Episode 15 of Old Gods of Appalachia is one of the most intense horror podcast segments I've ever listened to. Absolutely phenomenal. Sam is the goodest boy.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

New Leaf posted:

Episode 15 of Old Gods of Appalachia is one of the most intense horror podcast segments I've ever listened to. Absolutely phenomenal. Sam is the goodest boy.

No kidding.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I listened to Spines. I liked the first season alright but it went downhill from S2 onwards. The "character narrating stuff in post" type of storytelling works well for a mystery, but doesn't really work for a more action-based story imo. Also the bad guy winning, but it turns out its not that bad kinda made the whole show feel meaningless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I've been relistening to old series while I play videogames and work. The episode of Zero Hours from October 2019 about how the world is burning and nobody cares feels real quaint with how 2020 has been.