Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bazinga!
Dec 15, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

With this fourth part, this quest seems even more story-important than before; I really wonder if they're going to make a permanent version for after the event ends, because it seems like a huge shame to have it disappear for people who weren't playing yet.

Also, the quest makes it a lot clearer why Mona's a 5* character; outside of Ningguang, there's a pretty clear division of in-story power, ability, and/or importance between 4* and 5* characters, with the former being mostly relatively mundane individuals, for a rather loose definition of "mundane", while the latter are serious movers and shakers in society, devastatingly powerful individuals, mystical beings, literal gods, and of course the little girl who blew up a mountain. Even with her own story quest, it wasn't really clear why a penniless, self-important fortune teller would be grouped with the latter rather than the former, but apparently her astrology is the real deal.

Something like that. Or an artificial world of sorts, at least?

Edit: Well, when you finish "Act IV", it still gives you a "To Be Continued", so I'm guessing this will end up being made permanent in some form, albeit probably without as many rewards, so people who join late aren't out of the loop when the continuation arrives.

There was a theory from Honkai Impact that Teyvat was a world colonized by earthlings, but this makes it sound like Teyvat might straight up be an absurdly huge colony ship still looking for such a world, when you add up this simulated aspect of the sky, the fact the world is called "Ark", and the "Towards the stars and the Abyss" slogan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

Also, the quest makes it a lot clearer why Mona's a 5* character; outside of Ningguang, there's a pretty clear division of in-story power, ability, and/or importance between 4* and 5* characters, with the former being mostly relatively mundane individuals, for a rather loose definition of "mundane", while the latter are serious movers and shakers in society, devastatingly powerful individuals, mystical beings, literal gods, and of course the little girl who blew up a mountain.

or a zombie who wants to find a cocogoat to get some milk

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Roland Jones posted:

With this fourth part, this quest seems even more story-important than before; I really wonder if they're going to make a permanent version for after the event ends, because it seems like a huge shame to have it disappear for people who weren't playing yet.

Also, the quest makes it a lot clearer why Mona's a 5* character; outside of Ningguang, there's a pretty clear division of in-story power, ability, and/or importance between 4* and 5* characters, with the former being mostly relatively mundane individuals, for a rather loose definition of "mundane", while the latter are serious movers and shakers in society, devastatingly powerful individuals, mystical beings, literal gods, and of course the little girl who blew up a mountain. Even with her own story quest, it wasn't really clear why a penniless, self-important fortune teller would be grouped with the latter rather than the former, but apparently her astrology is the real deal.

What about Fischl? She created another universe and founded paradise

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Andrast posted:

or a zombie who wants to find a cocogoat to get some milk

I threw her in under "mystical beings" though she is definitely the odd one out in terms of relative importance and impact on things. Being a zombie in control of herself is still weird and unique in a way none of the 4* people reach though.

Bazinga! posted:

There was a theory from Honkai Impact that Teyvat was a world colonized by earthlings, but this makes it sound like Teyvat might straight up be an absurdly huge colony ship still looking for such a world, when you add up this simulated aspect of the sky, the fact the world is called "Ark", and the "Towards the stars and the Abyss" slogan.

That is a very interesting possibility, though I'm not sure how the Traveler would fit into that exactly. I'm not really up on Honkai Impact's lore though.

gandlethorpe posted:

What about Fischl? She created another universe and founded paradise

Yes, but in this universe she's playing the role of an investigator for the Adventurer's Guild. 'Tis but one piece of her Phantasmagoria, nothing more.

Edit: For the reference of people who haven't unlocked this part of Fischl's story themselves:

Flowers for Princess Fischl: Phantasmagoria posted:

The novel series "Flowers for Princess Fischl" is available as a collectible set.

Due the tiny numbers in circulation, it is a priceless commodity amongst fans of the author.

But not matter how elegant these works are aesthetically, their worldview remains incredibly bleak:

Every good, bright and noble thing must eventually fall to inexorable entropic destruction, and the final destination of the universe is the realm-in-waiting of the Prinzessin, Immernachreich.

This is the fate of all worlds, of the universe, and all who live in it.

And the Prinzessin and her loyal companion, the "Night-Severing Raven Oz", Ozvaldo von Hrafnavines, are the World Beasts who will swallow all dreams.

At the very end, at the end of karma itself, she will grant all the gathered souls her benediction, and use her Thundering Retribution to cleanse all that is ugly and wicked.

The Prinzessin will then set her own heart ablaze, and the universe shall be born anew in its immortal light.

But before all of this can come to pass, the Prinzessin must first roam many universes, and see countless new sights.

Thus it is perfectly within the spirit of the original work that the Prinzessin should be stuck as an investigator for the Adventurers' Guild in a slightly backward world. Just a little twist of fate, nothing more.

The Prinzessin will come to understand someday that each moment of her life, no matter how insignificant their little twists could be, is to be treasured.

After all, the Prinzessin's very own Phantasmagoria is made out of ones such as these.

Edit again: On the topic of Sucrose, meanwhile, she actually has a quote about Fischl; at first she thinks you're talking about the book series, and is much less enthused when she realizes that you mean Fischl herself.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Nov 26, 2020

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
To add further speculation on the latest reveals, ever notice that sometimes you pass by Kathryne and she says error: error sounding like a robot?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Bazinga! posted:

That's a cool idea that would explain a few things, but where do the literal god-like beings and monsters fit into it?

Bazinga!
Dec 15, 2011

Bland posted:

That's a cool idea that would explain a few things, but where do the literal god-like beings and monsters fit into it?

The god-like beings can simply be administrators with "sufficiently advanced science" from Celestia.
As for the monsters, they can be biological weapons. Alternatively, Honkai Impact has some mystical technobabble where Honkai corrupts machines/people or just spawns them, so the same thing can happen here.

Celestia sounds a lot like Solaris from Xenogears: an advanced city in the sky, which controls the evolution of the world on the ground to keeps it primitive and intervenes when they get too strong (Khaenri'ah? which was destroyed by monsters, the remaining monsters possibly being some leftover), and integrates a few promising individuals in its own forces (vision holders ascending to Celestia).
Xenogears also had some in-world fantasy interpretations for technological cataclysms like the Diabolos event.

Bazinga! fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Nov 26, 2020

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Bland posted:

I urge everyone to read the Books of the Long Sun by Gene Wolfe.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

I suppose "It's sci-fi tech bro" can explain away pretty much everything the writers want. For some reason I hadn't considered that.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

dogsicle posted:

anyway Diona did further emphasize to me how much i hate running around as a character that small because it feels slower and like the camera is worse

That's because movement speed is determined by character height. Walk and run speed along with dash distance are all determined by how tall you are.

I get this rude reminder every time I have to switch off of Diluc, and I start getting slapped around because Fischl and MC don't dash as far.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

theblackw0lf posted:

So do the reveals from that last chapter suggest they’re living in some artificial reality?

I'm actually hoping this isn't the case because at this point it feels like a really worn out trope. Just recently played No Man's Sky (do I even need to spoiler that?), and just straight up rolled my eyes at the whole big "THE UNIVERSE IS A SIMULATION" reveal in the storyline that all the characters were kvetching about. Like you could have done so much more weird and creative bullshit than that, but no, let's just write off everything as a simulation. Again. Done.

just ugh

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

TheFluff posted:

Mona is arguably the worst 5-star

Pages ago but now relevant again...

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

inthesto posted:

That's because movement speed is determined by character height. Walk and run speed along with dash distance are all determined by how tall you are.

I get this rude reminder every time I have to switch off of Diluc, and I start getting slapped around because Fischl and MC don't dash as far.

uhhh this is the first time i've ever heard this. are you sure?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Jerry Seinfeld posted:

uhhh this is the first time i've ever heard this. are you sure?

It's true.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Yeah. And supposedly male characters climb slightly faster and run slightly faster? Or is that perhaps just a result of husbandos being generally taller?

It's pretty noticeable for me going from Fischl to Childe.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

That's why I always run around the world with Kaeya

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
This is why I have Jean with Klee, because she's pretty tall and Klee is so drat slow. It's also 10% of the reason I am using Jean instead of Bennett.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

If anyone wants to try a extremely fun comp and has a Jean, try this:

Jean w/ Verdant Venerer's or Gladiator, but focusing on Anemo damage if possible
Sucrose with instructor's
2 Enablers (I use Xingqiu and Fischl, but Xiangling works too)

Basically you can just keep alternating between sucking everybody in with sucrose to blasting them off the walls of your Jean arena, all while swirling for crazy damage and being basically unkillable. It gets even more nuts with 2 sucrose charges, since you basically always have one of your anemo ults up and are only limited by cooldown, which is itself reduced by having 2 anemo in a comp.

The only downside is that sucrose herself isnt great for bosses, so I'd swap her out if you are doing those.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I don't really think theres a difference in "in world power levels" between the 4* and 5*. You have two gods (Zhongli and Venti), two obviously powerful people (Ningguang and Childe), and then a bunch of people with Visions who are a ton stronger than the average person. The traveler is impressed with Mona's power level, but it doesn't seem to me that she's any more powerful than the other vision holders.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Does C6 Anemo Traveler's last constellation stack with VV? Because that sounds crazy if so.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

theblackw0lf posted:

So do the reveals from that last chapter suggest they’re living in some artificial reality?

I just recently watched on Netflix the Flat Earth documentary and it seems to be like one of their beliefs where the stars in the sky are faked, like in the Truman show, but on a bigger scale.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

last time the height stuff came up i guess i somehow got the conclusion that height only affected the distance of your dash for running/climbing and that's what gave the adult characters an edge over others. but people have made comparison videos and it's just across the board small characters suck unless you're swimming (men are slower as mentioned) or climbing (adults win but small vs medium is really close).

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

can’t believe sucrose just mailed me a bowl of dorito soup

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Pages ago but now relevant again...

lol

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
mona is good yo, lemme open up my assburger spreadsheet and prove you all wrong

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Framboise posted:

Does C6 Anemo Traveler's last constellation stack with VV? Because that sounds crazy if so.

Resistance debuffs all stack, but the effectiveness is halved below 0% resist.
So on an enemy with 10% resist:
VV's 40% debuff would take it to -15%
Anemo MCs 20% debuff takes it to -5%
Applying both debuffs takes it to -25%

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

The most hosed up thing about the world of Genshin Impact is that apparently on your birthday you need to send everyone else gifts. I don't even know Sucrose.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
Teyvat the Shire confirmed.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Bennet with nearly 200% ER is bonkers in the event. I basically have his Burst up the entire match.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Vargs posted:

The most hosed up thing about the world of Genshin Impact is that apparently on your birthday you need to send everyone else gifts. I don't even know Sucrose.

definitely sweating what i'm gonna have to do for everyone when mine rolls around

theblackw0lf posted:

there's approx as much evidence to support this in game as there is to support it irl
it would make fuckall thematic or narrative sense as well, like it would just actually be bad writing

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

theblackw0lf posted:

To add further speculation on the latest reveals, ever notice that sometimes you pass by Kathryne and she says error: error sounding like a robot?

She also says "rebooting" from time to time

Also, reddit is getting progressively hornier as John Glee approaches, and I support it

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

awesmoe posted:

definitely sweating what i'm gonna have to do for everyone when mine rolls around

there's approx as much evidence to support this in game as there is to support it irl
it would make fuckall thematic or narrative sense as well, like it would just actually be bad writing

Counterpoint: all of the adventurer's guild representatives are robots (they will rarely say something like "Error, rebooting"), so there might be more clues in the future.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

awesmoe posted:

let me tell you about a game called star ocean 3

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

let me tell you about a game called star ocean 3

I'm a terrible loving person for liking it. I also like the simulation trope being in this. I'm trash with trash taste and that's fine. (In my defense I hadn't played any of the previous games in the series; probably would've been miffed if I had.)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bazinga! posted:

Celestia sounds a lot like Solaris from Xenogears: an advanced city in the sky, which controls the evolution of the world on the ground to keeps it primitive and intervenes when they get too strong (Khaenri'ah? which was destroyed by monsters, the remaining monsters possibly being some leftover), and integrates a few promising individuals in its own forces (vision holders ascending to Celestia).
Xenogears also had some in-world fantasy interpretations for technological cataclysms like the Diabolos event.

Additionally, one of Venti's profile comments says the following about Celestia: Celestia... I'm not sure even I could fly that far. In any case, the water there tastes foul and the fruit is bland. You know what that means? No cider! Haha, in that case, I wouldn't go there even if I was invited.

Which seems fairly consistent with it being something along the lines of what you describe (though I would think it's more like a "station" than a "city; it doesn't look that big).

Roland Jones posted:

I think the main issue with this is (as you mentioned) Ningguang being 4* and Jean being 5*, when the former definitely seems to be more powerful in-story than the latter. Diluc is also not particularly influential even if he's strong (though it's hard to gauge much since we just see him beating up some Abyss mages and hilichurls).

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

(though it's hard to gauge much since we just see him beating up some Abyss mages and hilichurls).

When I first saw the cutscene of his introduction and beating up that Abyss Mage I had a laugh because I hadn't run into a Mage at that point and they honestly look like chumps

well, egg on my face

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Bazinga! posted:

The god-like beings can simply be administrators with "sufficiently advanced science" from Celestia.
As for the monsters, they can be biological weapons. Alternatively, Honkai Impact has some mystical technobabble where Honkai corrupts machines/people or just spawns them, so the same thing can happen here.

So all this means that my old megaposts about Teyvat just being the Ark from Gun Girlz Z/Honkai Impact 3 is probably right barring them dropping red herrings. Especially with the whole false sky thing. It's almost like they're inside of a giant construct or simulation

And yeah, I don't know if I got to it earlier but the plot devices we're being given seem to heavily suggest that the plot is going to go extremely Xenogears at some point. Also, if the ties to Honkai Impact are as direct as they're suggesting then there's a lot of elements of End of Evangelion series in there too. Albeit the latter would be from the perspective of what happens after the world gets destroyed, which End of Evangelion never goes into.

theblackw0lf posted:

If you can find it, go back and find my massive posts on how this links to Honkai Impact in this thread. As a very TL;DR: that removes lots of the intimate details:

In Honkai Impact/Gun Girls Z Earth was destroyed by Kiana (The white haired girl from the intro that kept hitting the Travelers with cubes.), who depending on the particular reality this game takes place in (More on that in a bit:) is either the Herrsher of the Void, an all new version of Kiana we haven't seen before, or essentially a trinity goddess made up of the most hosed over and misanthropic people in existence --- Kiana from Gun Girls Z after she hit a despair event horizon and pulled a Shinji on Earth, Sirin who was probably the first most hosed over person on the planet, and the Herrsher of the Void personality itself.

If it's the latter case then we're looking at a huge end game boss at some point. Since the latter form of Kiana that we know about is literally just God as far as that timeline was concerned. She was rocking the powers of three full on apocalyptic individuals and the best the HI3 timeline could do was reboot the species some tens of thousands or possibly millions of years after she turned Earth into something out of Doom Eternal.

As for the reality thing: To recap an even larger megapost I only got a bit into describing: In the world of the Impact series there are many realities, all possessing in addition to humanity
a pseudo-gnostic demiurge-like force that seeks to test, and if it wins, also destroy or subvert humanity to it's detriment.

The form this destroying and testing force takes varies in the realities. What is known to be a fact however is that either humanity overcomes it, humanity is destroyed by this force and that reality "dies" (At least, from the perspective of people living in realities on the Tree of Life. There's evidence it may not be that simple.), or Kiana manifests in her Herrsher form and humanity typically ends up in an apocalyptic self destructive cycle where she keeps destroying reality even as certain humans keep finding a way to reboot the species for another go around. Seeing as how Kiana refers to herself as a "Sustainer of Heavenly Principles" this bodes poorly for Teyvat's future health come later updates.

Each reality itself exists on a branch of an allegorical "Tree of Life", at least partially surrounded by or subsumed by a probably not so allegorical quantum sea of possibility. The sea is called The Sea of Quanta when it's used for experimenting on possible alternate realities in Honkai Impact 3. In Honkai Impact a character manages to view Genshin Impact's reality due to how close in history they are. Which itself has huge implications for the why they're able to review events concurrently as well.

The main implication being that if he wasn't looking back or forwards in time then the events he witnessed were occurring at the same time. Which is weird if they're so close in history that they can be viewed. There is an explanation however!

In Honkai Impact something called the Ark was launched into space from planet Earth as the last remnants of humanity were being wiped out. It was in one comic shown to be an artificial duo of "entities" that contained a genetic library of mankind. Entities that fly exactly like the players in the intro, and weirdly enough also the blue lights in the Gacha (More on that later.). The intent behind these two entities is that they would "travel" the worlds and find a new home for humanity, away from all the bullshit that Houkai/Honkai energy had put their species through. How does that tie into Genshin (aside from the very obvious inference that the PC's are one realities version of those artificial beings?). Well, that's interesting. Teyvat is representative of the Hebrew (As a side note, there's a LOT of Hebrew derived words in the game. All of the hypostasis bosses for instance reference it in their actual in-fight names.) word meaning "Ark".

In addition to all those :words::, it's confirmed that some 50,000 years after they were launched Project Ark went silent. Not destroyed. Silent. Something happened to it. Though given that the rebooted humanity had bigger problems no one really looked into it in Honkai Impact 3. Especially since the few survivors of the ancient form of humanity were too busy trying to deal with multiple encroaching apocalypses and their own plotting against each other.

Where it gets weird is that the PC travelers are, barring a massive red herring also likely to be a version of or related to Project Ark themselves. As mentioned, they exactly match the description of at least one version of Project Ark that was sent out. However, it goes beyond that! Funnily enough, the wings the two travelers have in the intro are also boasting a variant of the emblem of the wings of the remnant military forces that fought the Herrsher's and Kiana, only to resort to escaping the planet too. That organization was called Fire Moth or something like that, and showed up in both Gun Girls Z semi/possibly non canon epilogue and in the prehistory of Honkai Impact 3. They were basically the militarized last remnants of humanity after the Herrsher's had hosed everything up, seeking to avoid or escape the death of humanity.

There are two colored entities types, though. The gold ones representing the Travelers, and a blue one. The blue ones show up in the Gacha to give you new characters. Which could explain how we're seemingly cloning characters for our own use. Some folks have theorized that this is possibly important. It's possible this is also an entirely alternate reality from the one our playable Travelers/Arks came from. And that instead of cruising space the PC's were designed to step things up a notch and are cruising the potentiality of space time itself via something like the Sea of Quanta. Hence why at several points during the story the PC Traveler keeps talking about worlds it seemingly couldn't have visited.

Also, the Tree is a prominent thing as well. You ever notice how you keep cleansing small plants in the overworld of some sort of corruption? And how it's a giant tree in the weird alternate reality of the domains that (if you look closely) are sometime surrounded by the ruins of a civilization? Yeah. They're kind of rocking a motif there. :v: Since Genshin also was noted by the devs to mean original and to have links to Buddhism poo poo has probably already gone down. Or maybe this is a prequel to all of the other games. Who knows given what we know so far. :shrugs:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 26, 2020

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I really like the characterization they did with Fischl at the end of this. Being worried about people seeing the real her.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 26, 2020

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Now that I'm done with the event shops, I can start a much longer grind when I hit AR 45 this weekend, I guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I finally knocked out chapter 8 of the adventure log and I don't feel as fulfilled as I was hoping. Alas.