Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

wa27 posted:

Can anyone identify what would cause this distortion?
https://vocaroo.com/19yFjTqVIh7y

I've been noticing it lately on certain parts of certain albums. For example, the first 2/3 of that mp3 is the first track from my brand new pressing of My Generation, and it sounds very bad. The other song in the mp3 is the first track of side B, and I don't notice any of the same distortion on it.

I first noticed this on The Chats album I got a while back. Half-way through one side, it would start to get distorted in the same way. I thought it was a bad pressing or something. I believe there was another album I've noticed it on that I can't remember, so I've pretty much ruled out bad pressings as the source.

I'm using an AT95E cart, which is a few years old now but doesn't have THAT many hours on it. This is on a Dual turntable and I haven't gone through the trouble of moving the cart to another turntable because it's not an easy swap.

Sounds like you blew a speaker.

rockinricky posted:

I watched a Record-ology video and was tempted. Now I have a copy of this on the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nInwGuVRe08

If you buy it you get a download card with bonus tracks featuring the screams of Afghan children after their families were killed and their homes reduced to smoking rubble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Sounds like you blew a speaker.

I was worried about that too but that's the direct capture from the tape output. I suppose I could connect up a different receiver and make sure it's not that.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CPL593H posted:

If you buy it you get a download card with bonus tracks featuring the screams of Afghan children after their families were killed and their homes reduced to smoking rubble.

I’m the lid of the crosley just falling off the hinges

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

wa27 posted:

Can anyone identify what would cause this distortion?
https://vocaroo.com/19yFjTqVIh7y

I've been noticing it lately on certain parts of certain albums. For example, the first 2/3 of that mp3 is the first track from my brand new pressing of My Generation, and it sounds very bad. The other song in the mp3 is the first track of side B, and I don't notice any of the same distortion on it.

I first noticed this on The Chats album I got a while back. Half-way through one side, it would start to get distorted in the same way. I thought it was a bad pressing or something. I believe there was another album I've noticed it on that I can't remember, so I've pretty much ruled out bad pressings as the source.

I'm using an AT95E cart, which is a few years old now but doesn't have THAT many hours on it. This is on a Dual turntable and I haven't gone through the trouble of moving the cart to another turntable because it's not an easy swap.

What level are you outputting this out at? It sounds really loving saturated.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

What level are you outputting this out at? It sounds really loving saturated.

Well, it's just the tape-out from my SX-780, which should be line level. The capture sounds the same as listening with headphones and through speakers and it's noticeable at any volume through those. I did just hook up another receiver and it had the same issue with the same record, so thankfully it's not my beloved Pioneer causing it.

I'll do some more investigating this week with a different turntable I can set up, and I can try out different cartridges if need be.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Yeah I'm wondering if it's the turntable or something.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

wa27 posted:

Well, it's just the tape-out from my SX-780, which should be line level. The capture sounds the same as listening with headphones and through speakers and it's noticeable at any volume through those. I did just hook up another receiver and it had the same issue with the same record, so thankfully it's not my beloved Pioneer causing it.

I'll do some more investigating this week with a different turntable I can set up, and I can try out different cartridges if need be.

does your turntable have a built in preamp? could be audiophile nonsense, but when i was buying my last table one of the constants i saw was that sometimes tables with faulty preamps can sound bad even if youve switched it off.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Demon_Corsair posted:

Does static cause problems? These records are super staticy when I pick them up.

yes - idk if static can cause a record to skip but I've had a few new records that sounded pretty crackly until I wiped 'em down and suddenly they sounded great. happens a lot on new records

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

So I went ahead and swapped everything - different receiver, turntable, stylus and cartridge. And to me the distortion sounds the same, mostly in the left channel. The capture setup is the same but I listened with headphones directly from each receiver and it sounds the same there.

New recording: https://vocaroo.com/1fKwddsaR7nR
Original recording: https://vocaroo.com/19yFjTqVIh7y

So I guess it's just a really making GBS threads pressing? I've never experienced one that's THAT bad before. :shrug:

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer
So a limited edition record is coming out that I need to have in my life, so now I need a player.

I already have a receiver and speakers so it needs to have RCA output but I looked online and have absolutely no idea where to even start with all the choices out there.

Can anybody suggest a beginner friendly non Walmart record player please?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Audio Technica LP120 is still more or less the standard recommendation I think

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The LP60 is fine too as a standard record player, it gets the job done.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I have an LP60. I’ve given it hundreds of hours of use and after two moves, including one where I dropped it, it still works but needs to be adjusted because it plays just a hair too fast.

I def recommend it as an entry level record player.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
If you don't mind buying an LP60 from Goodwill:

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/108924377

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

https://twitter.com/debugrecords/status/1331320552393498626

Whelp, so long little record label I only discovered existed a month ago.

(They're the ones behind that awesome Manawave release)

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

Audio Technica LP120 is still more or less the standard recommendation I think

bowmore posted:

The LP60 is fine too as a standard record player, it gets the job done.

Woofer posted:

I have an LP60. I’ve given it hundreds of hours of use and after two moves, including one where I dropped it, it still works but needs to be adjusted because it plays just a hair too fast.

I def recommend it as an entry level record player.

Tortilla Maker posted:

If you don't mind buying an LP60 from Goodwill:

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/108924377

Thank you all very much for the suggestions. I appreciate it a lot. I’m not sure if I’ll go with the LP120 or the LP60 yet but at least I have an idea of what to get.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ballz posted:

This is a drat shame. Manawave was an excellently made release.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Foam Monkey posted:

Thank you all very much for the suggestions. I appreciate it a lot. I’m not sure if I’ll go with the LP120 or the LP60 yet but at least I have an idea of what to get.

If you're going to stick with it or get serious about it the 120 is the better choice. If you're just casually interested and only going to listen to a few things here and there that are just a fun thing you like then the 60 is fine.

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

If you're going to stick with it or get serious about it the 120 is the better choice. If you're just casually interested and only going to listen to a few things here and there that are just a fun thing you like then the 60 is fine.

I honestly don’t know yet to be honest. This is going to be the first record I’ve ever bought Ghost Dog and I don’t know if it’s going to be the start of a collection, or if I’ll just have the one.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Foam Monkey posted:

I honestly don’t know yet to be honest. This is going to be the first record I’ve ever bought Ghost Dog and I don’t know if it’s going to be the start of a collection, or if I’ll just have the one.

Some people buy a cheaper tripod for their camera, and then just buy the right one eventually, anyway. Why potentially waste time and effort, when you can do it right the first time? You can always sell the 120 if you decide that it’s not your bag. They hold their value!

What I’m saying is, the 120 will help you feel like a more fulfilled and centered person,

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

The best kind of sex is VHS.

Ballz posted:

They're being succeeded by Channel 3 records, and there's even going to be a repress of Manawave next year.
https://ch3records.com/

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Foam Monkey posted:

Oh poo poo the Ghost Dog soundtrack, that is an excellent choice both for first/only record and in general.

Anecdotal evidence: I told myself when I started out I'd only get the really really good stuff on vinyl and keep the collection slim, 2 years later I have more records than I think I ever had CDs so you see how that's going.

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer

pwn posted:

Some people buy a cheaper tripod for their camera, and then just buy the right one eventually, anyway. Why potentially waste time and effort, when you can do it right the first time? You can always sell the 120 if you decide that it’s not your bag. They hold their value!

What I’m saying is, the 120 will help you feel like a more fulfilled and centered person,

As someone who has screwed up with buying various pieces of equipment when I should have just bit the bullet and not cheaped out, you’ve convinced me.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Oh poo poo the Ghost Dog soundtrack, that is an excellent choice both for first/only record and in general.

Anecdotal evidence: I told myself when I started out I'd only get the really really good stuff on vinyl and keep the collection slim, 2 years later I have more records than I think I ever had CDs so you see how that's going.

I was about to say I doubt I’m going to start a collection, but then I realized that the reason I even know this album exists is because of the Criterion Blu-ray release. And judging by my DVD collection I might actually want to look into storage options.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Foam Monkey posted:

As someone who has screwed up with buying various pieces of equipment when I should have just bit the bullet and not cheaped out, you’ve convinced me.

I was about to say I doubt I’m going to start a collection, but then I realized that the reason I even know this album exists is because of the Criterion Blu-ray release. And judging by my DVD collection I might actually want to look into storage options.

The lp 60 is fine and 1/3 the price (I used one for years with no problems) but if you can swing the 120 or equivalent then definitely do that. My Technics TT is a better experience all around.

As far as storage goes. The ikea https://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/products/?q=kallax is the go to. I think Target and Walmart have versions of it too.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I kinda wish there was a better turntable with the same (relatively) compact size of the LP60, with the turntable arm being up above the record instead of off to the side. Would save me a couple of inches of counterspace

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I have a new mix up on mixcloud. Psych/soul/whatever. All vinyl.

https://www.mixcloud.com/mawesome/the-moss-hole-basement-session-10232020/

I'm also giving away one of the Garth Brooks box sets. All you gotta do is leave a comment on one of my mixes (you can listen and follow me as well if you are so inclined...) and let me know who you are somehow (PM me here or sporklift at hotmail). I am gonna pick the "winner" on Sunday. Oh yeah. I am only able to mail it in the United States.

pwn
May 27, 2004

lol

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

im going to win that boxset for my momma :colbert:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Anybody planning to go get the plague tomorrow along with some exclusive Black Friday RSD releases?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Ballz posted:

Anybody planning to go get the plague tomorrow along with some exclusive Black Friday RSD releases?

I'm going to make a minimal effort to get the Milla release. Going to a tiny store near me that says they have 1 copy. If I don't get it, I'm not going to bother going around to other stores. Just buy it from a flipper on discogs I guess.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I can’t imagine ever doing either a Black Friday or RSD thing again, plague or not. One of each was enough for me.

It would have to be a really good Belle and Sebastian exclusive or something.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The Divine Comedy is a RSD First release, at least.

Hopefully it'll go like last time - roll in around 9 in the morning, be 7th in line and walk out in under an hour. Simultaneously the most and least stressful RSD I've ever participated in.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
The Fall of Troy is putting up new presses for Doppelgänger Friday at 12pm EST which is much more exciting than anything I saw in the RSD list.

Thefalloftroy.merchnow.com

marjorie
May 4, 2014

I don't think I've ever done an RSD run, but my friend and I might be heading out Friday just because it's a good day for us to go work schedule-wise (we're not trying to get any actual RSD releases). Is it likely we can avoid the crowds if we just get a later start? I know this is region-dependent, but whenever I hear of craziness around RSD shopping, it's about people lining up in the morning to try to snag limited copies. So in those cases, do things dissipate after a couple hours?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

A lot of the RSD poo poo just hangs around for a long time and even appears online at or below the original retail from discogs and ebay sellers. The Newbury Comics in my area had to create an all sales final policy on RSD records because people kept buying stacks of poo poo and when they couldn't flip it they'd return it all. I've noticed more stuff than usual just hanging around months after RSD or even a year+ later so I think people are cooling down on it. If you're interested in that stuff Bullmoose does a thing where they sell all that poo poo a day or two later online. In an actual store all the jerkoffs are lined up early in the morning so yeah if you wait a few hours people have cleared out but the selection is usually picked over.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve done mystery box buy before and had RSD stuff in it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The record shop near my place thankfully has never had a big line for RSD stuff and it’s always the same people I see every time so they know the very strict rules the shop adheres by and it’s very orderly and as low risk as possible. So I’ll probably do RSD tomorrow but that’s about it.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
The one thing I'm interested in (that Uncle Tupelo live album) is RSD first so I'll either roll in to my local after the dust has settled or just wait for the wider release.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

dorium posted:

The record shop near my place thankfully has never had a big line for RSD stuff and it’s always the same people I see every time so they know the very strict rules the shop adheres by and it’s very orderly and as low risk as possible. So I’ll probably do RSD tomorrow but that’s about it.

This is what I'm hoping for. If there's a big line I'm just turning around and coming home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
Anyone else still waiting on the Cowboy Bebop record from Milan? I know it's only been like a week since release, I'm just antsy.