Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m with “Cabo Verde” if only because I don’t like the language switch in the middle of the other.

Côte d’Ivoire/Ivory Coast doesn’t have this problem.

Timor Leste/East Timor calls for the alternative of “East Leste” because that’s how it works, right? Pick two out of three of the Malay/Dutch/English words for “east”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That chart respects Jammeh trying to make himself look more important by calling his country THE Gambia, and it shouldn't

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Does the "must be made from plants" criterion mean that adding milk to your tea makes it no longer tea? Unless it's soy/almond/another vegan milk.

Also, Saturn tea reminds me, the density of Saturn is less than water. So it'd float if you could somehow find a big enough pool of water.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The bigger issue would be finding a suitable gravitational field.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Platystemon posted:

The bigger issue would be finding a suitable gravitational field.

Put enough water together to float Saturn and this seems like a self-solving problem.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

(best i have, and i don't care enough to find the og post lol)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SerialKilldeer posted:

Does the "must be made from plants" criterion mean that adding milk to your tea makes it no longer tea? Unless it's soy/almond/another vegan milk.

Yes. As it should be.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

SerialKilldeer posted:

As far as I know they don't feed cows meat, so cow's milk is made from plants. Still good.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Che Delilas posted:

As far as I know they don't feed cows meat, so cow's milk is made from plants. Still good.

Well, there are some exceptions:
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/when-herbivores-arent-poor-chicken-got-eaten-cow-180951115/

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Dylan16807 posted:

That's not really a rename, and I don't know if it's necessarily wrong to ignore a request for nonstandard translation.

That's pretty interesting to read. Reminds me of how Ecuador isn't translated to English, but in Greek a lot of people call the country the Greek word for Equator

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Che Delilas posted:

I have bad news relating to mad cow disease.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

(best i have, and i don't care enough to find the og post lol)

It first appeared on r/dataisbeautiful it seems:

lolling at the Reader-Draco Malfoy ship

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
.... I just noticed the Sirius Black--Harry Potter connection

e: 'With at least 500 occurrences' jesus

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Am I misunderstanding or is Harry/Hermione nonexistent? I thought that was one of the biggest pairings and a lot of fans were mad at the finale because it didn’t happen.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

SerialKilldeer posted:

Am I misunderstanding or is Harry/Hermione nonexistent? I thought that was one of the biggest pairings and a lot of fans were mad at the finale because it didn’t happen.

Same. I think the graph is just hard to read because they're right next to each other?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SerialKilldeer posted:

The line is there. It’s just bent oddly.

There are 3896 Harry–Hermione pairings in the corpus.

For comparison, there are 2223 pairings between Harry and Ron.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 16:12 on Nov 27, 2020

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Now you made me waste 5 minutes of my life doing this.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I wonder if they are combining 'Tom Riddle' with 'Lord Voldemort' on there because they are 2 different characters, especially in fanfiction

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Just realised the Fred/George Weasley pairing :dogbutton:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

System Metternich posted:

Just realised the Fred/George Weasley pairing :dogbutton:

At least 500 occurrences.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
if it helps apparently that includes platonic pairings in the tag system, since they're marked the same way as romantic pairings

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I wonder if they are combining 'Tom Riddle' with 'Lord Voldemort' on there because they are 2 different characters, especially in fanfiction

The size indicates it’s combined.

Potter–Riddle: 4462

Potter–Voldemort: 2391

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
smh that offends my degenerate tomarry shipping self

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

mobby_6kl posted:

Yes. As it should be.

putting non-tea in tea doesn't make it non-tea. what about sugar? what about spoons?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Doc Hawkins posted:

putting non-tea in tea doesn't make it non-tea. what about sugar? what about spoons?

It's called a teaspoon for a reason, duh.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Someone in that thread did a graph of just Hagrid fics. It, uh, goes places. :stonk:

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Doc Hawkins posted:

And what if I put the planet Saturn in a really big cup of tea?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SerialKilldeer posted:

And what if I put the planet Saturn in a really big cup of tea?

Ironically, this would probably collapse the cuppa under the gravity to form a small star. This would not be tea.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Lord Hydronium posted:

Someone in that thread did a graph of just Hagrid fics. It, uh, goes places. :stonk:

Tag yourself. I'm the giant squid.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Dienes posted:

Hagrid/Hedwig for me, thanks

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I thought TX and FL et al. were mini-churros.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Dienes posted:

Not gonna click the link but uh, gonna guess there's a Hagrid/prof Sprout in there somewhere.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

HardDiskD posted:

I thought TX and FL et al. were mini-churros.

we were due for a "is that some kind of weird pastry" this year

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

This graph makes it so difficult to follow the small lines, which is to say, almost all of them.

I'm also skeptical about the dataset used. It doesn't seem right to me that Snape/Harry is the second most popular Harry pairing by a large margin. I mean sure there are bound to be plenty of stories where their ages are matched up somehow and plenty more that just do the gross kid/adult ship. Even so, the idea that (for example) Harry/Hermione not only doesn't beat it but doesn't even come close seems ludicrous to me. I've never actually read Harry Potter fanfiction, if someone wants to affirm/refute my speculation I would be interested/horrified to hear what you have to say.

flatluigi posted:

if it helps apparently that includes platonic pairings in the tag system, since they're marked the same way as romantic pairings

See at first I thought "oh, that explains it." However, if this is true then the chart still has a lot of irregularities. Like, if this is true, why is there not a single line connecting Harry to Dumbledore? Or Ginny to Ron? That doesn't really track.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Got a really, really strong feeling we're not going to like an information that sheds light on the subject.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Ariong posted:

This graph makes it so difficult to follow the small lines, which is to say, almost all of them.

I'm also skeptical about the dataset used. It doesn't seem right to me that Snape/Harry is the second most popular Harry pairing by a large margin. I mean sure there are bound to be plenty of stories where their ages are matched up somehow and plenty more that just do the gross kid/adult ship. Even so, the idea that (for example) Harry/Hermione not only doesn't beat it but doesn't even come close seems ludicrous to me. I've never actually read Harry Potter fanfiction, if someone wants to affirm/refute my speculation I would be interested/horrified to hear what you have to say.

See at first I thought "oh, that explains it." However, if this is true then the chart still has a lot of irregularities. Like, if this is true, why is there not a single line connecting Harry to Dumbledore? Or Ginny to Ron? That doesn't really track.

lol the very first harry potter fanfiction i ever read was harry/snape, written by a friend in jr high. it was before the 4th book even came out. i can absolutely believe it

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
AO3 has 50 new/updated Harry/Snape fics since this Monday.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I think the answer that best avoids the truth that is “fanfic authors are unbelievably horny for antagonists” is that this data set is probably generated from author-tagged data, and authors are more likely to tag certain pairings that are either sought-after or controversial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Kind surprised there's less than 500 fanfics with Harry and his wand. It just sounds right.