Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I'm guessing at this point the fabled AMD letter is lost to the sands of time, probably aged out of the retention policy of everyone's inbox who would have received it, and anyone online/unprofessional enough to post it would have done so sooner. :sad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Star Citizen: Upcoming Roadmap Update

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
:psyduck:

They literally have a roadmap for their roadmap. Jesus christ.

And their roadmap of the roadmap says that they won't have any set dates on the roadmap. Just listing their priorities. So they just list stuff that they're focusing on and not when it will be available.

They are creating software for the roadmap. Whereas every other company in existence just has a few paragraphs of text saying what's going on. They are creating a program to view all of the bullshit they're working on.

I just... you can't make this stuff up. I would never be able to come up with such an incompetent company in my imagination. It's happening in real-time. In our reality.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 26, 2020

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

What if you got the high velocity hot chocolate shits? Can your rear end become the thruster?

Laxatives at Sandi Gardner's interplanetary chain of chemist shops all carry the warning label "Danger of liftoff"

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Pennywise the Frown posted:

:psyduck:

They literally have a roadmap for their roadmap. Jesus christ.

And their roadmap of the roadmap says that they won't have any set dates on the roadmap. Just listing their priorities. So they just list stuff that they're focusing on and not when it will be available.

They are creating software for the roadmap. Whereas every other company in existence just has a few paragraphs of text saying what's going on. They are creating a program to view all of the bullshit they're working on.

I just... you can't make this stuff up. I would never be able to come up with such an incompetent company in my imagination. It's happening in real-time. In our reality.

quote:

They're doing this stuff because people like "you" never think it's enough... They used to just hit us with patches in their full bugged glory, until people complained the game was unplayable and cried and cried. Then the evocati came and development got a bit more behind closed doors. Then people came crying that they weren't transparent enough...
They moved on towards the roadmap system, and people started crying they weren't keeping their "promises" and weren't meeting their own deadlines.
Now they move to a new system, so that people who don't get game development get to see a bit more what's going on, and here you are, crying already ...
Go move somewhere else and come back to this project when it's done, or sell all your ships only to come back when the game is live.You'd do 'us' a huge favor.
on behalf of everyone who doesn't agree with your message, thanks in advance.

quote:

This is awesome. Love the format and honest presentation. Love the focus on progress. Looks like it will give us some amazing insight into the inner workings of this great machine so to speak.
Don't mind the haters. This is a wonderful thing for a developer to do, and I'm honestly floored you're presenting such a huge amount of information in such a living, breathing format.
So thank you for this. Seriously. It looks like it will be worth the wait.
You folks will no doubt continue to receive plenty of vitriol from the saltier side of the community, but to use your own words, the new roadmap is not for them. Their noise is just s1 repeater rounds off a vanguards back. I for one have mad respect for your bravery.
Keep up the fantastic work building this crazy, wonderful, beautiful universe.
o7

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
we now have the pipeline in place to really facilitate development of the roadmap roadmap

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

"Why don't you come back to Star Citizen when you've learned some loving respect!"

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
What is it with these people and the phrase "living, breathing"?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Devils Affricate posted:

What is it with these people and the phrase "living, breathing"?

They're people not doing the former and barely doing the latter

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Makes for better ad copy than "motionless, t-posing"

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I want a full .xlsx Gantt Chart but with absolutely no time axis at all

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Banu Merchantman price hike, why? posted:

The BMM is $100 more then it was last time it was on sale.

Not only has nothing been shown on this ship, but its been shrouded in a mystery and doubt about its future for years. There is not even a 3d model available for the hull.

What justification is there for a $100 price increase?

quote:

Because it has always been grossly underpriced with modern CIG ship prices. It started out as the 2nd most expensive ship in the game, and now it's on the extreme low end for a sub-capital ship. If it goes up to $800, maybe it will get all of its original abilities. If it stayed at $350, it would get the abilities of a $350 ship.

quote:

HAHA!! HOLY poo poo IT HAPPENED! I have been waiting for YEARS for the BMM to raise in price. Finally!

Ok for all the people who didn't own the BMM... dude.. we have been waiting for loving ever to get some update about the BMM. We all knew it was either severely underpriced or there was going to be major nerfs to the concept. With it rising in price that is good news for owners because CIG is finally addressing the value of the BMM concept. Though, first impressions I think CIG still undersold it. This might actually be CIG saying, "hey, it grew substantially and we think it is now worth $800 but we hosed up so we can't make that large of jump so soon. Lets add just $100 now so people who are interested can still get it while it's cheap before we drop the hammer and put the real value on the site."

I think this is great news. The BMM has been totally forgotten for years and finally CIG gives it some attention. IMO the BMM concept is impossible... either it will stay small, have Q-ship guns, and be a blockade runner or it will grow to be an alien flying bazaar that competes with the Kraken Privateer priced at $1700 dollars warbond or $2k credits.

My bet is it will be the Alien flying bazaar and it will grow in size and price.

quote:

To be in line with current price for a ship its projected size. This is actually a way of keeping their promises to the original BMM backers, as they have to put its price in line with the other ships. Things have change since 2012.

If it has to keep the original price, you will end with a Redeemer / Hull C sized ship at best.

Should it be offered as a new concept nobody heard before, I guess the price would have been over 500$, even in the 700$ range.

Expect more rises in the futur, at least a 100$ for flight ready.

quote:

Good to hear - that means they finally work on it. I waited for so long for this ship ...

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
They are paying hundreds of dollars for a ship that has been out for years and doesn't even have a 3D model.

This game makes me so angry but also I laugh a lot. It's a contrast of emotions.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
We’re celebrating the seventh anniversary of this ship being for sale by raising the price, lmao

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Mozi posted:

we now have the pipeline in place to really facilitate development of the roadmap roadmap

...and as soon as we get the pipeline pipeline flowing, you're gonna see some serious sh** :c00l:

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

They are paying hundreds of dollars for a ship that has been out for years and doesn't even have a 3D model.
Yes, but now they are selling it to others for more money which is obviously a good sign. Can't you read?!?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

wtf are evocati

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

baw posted:

wtf are evocati

Public Test Universe (PTU) FAQ - Evocati Test Flight posted:

We determined having a small group of technically-minded players hammering away on the early builds would provide far more accurate data to focus development and testing efforts. This group became Evocati Test Flight (ETF), lovingly called Avocados.

The Evocati are a small group of testers we’ve selected from the top players participating in Star Citizen: contributing to Issue Council, racing, running missions, and more. When joining the Evocati, we require a signed NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) and work through the process to add members to the Evocati Organization.

They can access the in-progress builds deemed “not quite ready for normal PTU” either due to issues in-progress, features being considered for release, and verifying updates before general release that might be removed depending on how the testing goes.

Beware! Should you be selected to join the ETF and accept, builds that are opened only for them are not for the faint of heart.
https://support.robertsspaceindustries.com/hc/en-us/articles/115013195927-Public-Test-Universe-PTU-FAQ

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Mirificus posted:

builds that are opened only for them are not for the faint of heart

Just imagining the forbidden builds that are too buggy even for the PTU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

GetDunked posted:

:stare: Do not speak of such things.

Zeinin
May 7, 2003

Every year or two I get obsessed with X3: Albion Prelude for like a week and then I get board and stop playing. The last time was the first time I started playing part of the story. I usually just build a trade empire and then quit.

Meatsteak Cahoonas

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

GetDunked posted:

All the footage of the evocati only TOW gameplay made it look like a hilariously buggy jankfest. Imagine paying thousands of dollars to 'test' an early access multiplayer shooter which belongs in 2013.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Those posts about the comparing prices of ships are mindblowing, they're baffling. Its like they are trying to argue value for these ships, comparing them to eachother in the contexts of their value and how much other ships are worth. But none of them are worth anything because they don't exist in any context at all. Like, they're worth less than normal In App Purchases because they don't exist at all.

Its like they're comparing the value of two things that don't exist and they're both so expensive. I don't know if I'm getting my point across.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Some wires in their brains definitely got crossed and they put actual value to those jpgs like they are a premium car. If CIG would sell windscreen wiper fluid for 99$,they'd buy it day 1 cause it adds value to their vehicle

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Some wires in their brains definitely got crossed and they put actual value to those jpgs like they are a premium car. If CIG would sell windscreen wiper fluid for 99$,they'd buy it day 1 cause it adds value to their vehicle

uh I think you'll find a spaceship is devalued as soon as it leaves port so actually the smart investor only buys spaceship jpegs because they can go up but real in-game spaceships just go down. Or something, idk, these people are crazy.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I only buy ships that punch above their weight

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

The "value" of these ships isn't really in their value as an in game asset, but as a facilitator of their dreams of being a wealthy respected space captain. The price going up by $100 is great, because it means that they're being rewarded for their faith in the project. Anyone who wants to share in their dream now has to pay extra. "Nice BMM junior, not as good as mine though. I got in when it was still $350 :agesilaus: "

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Is the unregulated illegal international money laundering grey market for ships still a thing?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

fuctifino posted:

Is the unregulated illegal international money laundering grey market for ships still a thing?

My idiot friend who loves this, ahem, ‘game’, assures me it has remained on an upward trajectory for the last 8 years and all ships are worth more than you pay for them instantly and just rise in price forever like bitcoins.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Caesar Saladin posted:

Those posts about the comparing prices of ships are mindblowing, they're baffling. Its like they are trying to argue value for these ships, comparing them to eachother in the contexts of their value and how much other ships are worth. But none of them are worth anything because they don't exist in any context at all. Like, they're worth less than normal In App Purchases because they don't exist at all.

Its like they're comparing the value of two things that don't exist and they're both so expensive. I don't know if I'm getting my point across.

You're definitely getting your point across and I'm trying to think of an analogy but can't think of one. If there were some sort of situation where people were comparing the relative costs of something that didn't exist I'd probably use Star Citizen as the analogy.

DoomLazer
Jun 1, 2011
$350 in 2013 would be ~$391 today. By raising the price by $100 it will be properly adjusted for inflation by the time they get around to creating the 3D model in another 8 years. This makes about as much logical sense as any other theory the fans have come up with.

DoomLazer fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 27, 2020

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1331994757707554817
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1332359076760711172

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I never thought to follow SC on Twitter.

Let's see how long it takes me to get banned.

https://twitter.com/IFeelSaferAlrdy/status/1332409750080942091

https://twitter.com/IFeelSaferAlrdy/status/1332410957100945412

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 27, 2020

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

I thought these were clever at first as they really do capture the style and tone of these kind of shows, but boy are they getting old and insufferable fast

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Hai guys i've been away for some months, is sc out yet?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I love how even the scrappy merchant vessels have to be luxury iphones with a hot tub otherwise citizens will miss out on the fantasy of being rich and successful. God forbid going on an epic space adventure and discovering unmapped wonders involves sleeping in a lovely bunk wedged behind the cockpit or eating tinned food.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Elite:Dangerous looks okay sure, but does it have something in the realm of of an empire of total stimulation? A Stimpire if you will?

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
the whole ship collecting and fleet management aspect is actually a game in itself and very much designed to make money. all sorts of things like being able to convert previous purchases into store credit, upgrade tokens that allow buying a specific ship with credit and perks for buying ships with cash instead of credit. the whole thing is build around fear of missing out, keeping you using the store and allowing big purchases to be broken up into smaller more comfortable ones.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

stinch posted:

the whole ship collecting and fleet management aspect is actually a game in itself and very much designed to make money. all sorts of things like being able to convert previous purchases into store credit, upgrade tokens that allow buying a specific ship with credit and perks for buying ships with cash instead of credit. the whole thing is build around fear of missing out, keeping you using the store and allowing big purchases to be broken up into smaller more comfortable ones.

So literally just a gacha game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder how much Croberts gave this year.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/1332120443919212544?s=20